Official San Diego Chargers (OFF)Season Thread RIP #55

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/font]

[font=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Lets see if the 12 of us fans can keep this going 
laugh.gif
[/font]

[font=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

gangsterzz.png
[/font]

[/font]

key_art_san_diego_chargers.jpg
[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[font=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]the return of aj and turner 
ohwell.gif
[/font]

[font=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]http://www.chargers.com/n...d-41de-a99a-2ccf24641885[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

Long time bolts fan checking in. I made this thread the last couple years, but eventually and inevitably everyone will stop posting in it. 
laugh.gif

This year i was like man whats the point... haha.

but ill try to keep yours active.

a lot of activity today guys, so far im happy, seems like burnett wants the big bucks, well see what happens...

... and the 1st preseason game is 2 weeks away, damn!!

^ so far you're happy with them making Eric Weddle the HIGHEST PAID SAFETY IN THE NFL?!?!?!?!

that *%! ruined my day... seriously.

i think Weddle is trash. Well... "trash" is a bit harsh. He is an middle of the pack very average safety. I swear its like Bizarro world. Did Al Davis switch bodies with AJ for the day? The Weddle signing is right up there with the dumb moves that Davis makes (Tommie Harris, Wimbley franchise tag, letting Awesom-o walk, etc...)

tommie harris has never been a raider and kam wimbley getting the franchise tag isnt regarded as a bad signing but i guess thats the level of knowledge i should expect from a chargers fan
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

tommie harris has never been a raider and kam wimbley getting the franchise tag isnt regarded as a bad signing but i guess thats the level of knowledge i should expect from a chargers fan
laugh.gif

Do you always have to enter our team thread every single season and take shots at our intellect? I mean if you are upset with a couple people why do you have to take it out on our entire fan base year after year? What the hell have we done to you my dude, someone sleep with your girl? 
tired.gif

laugh.gif
my apologies... tommy kelly.

and since you are in this thread, can you explain why wimbley getting the franchise tag is not considered a bad deal?

arent the raiders right near if not over the estimated cap?
couldn't they have used that money to shore up some other positions in need?  safety? cb? right tackle?
do you believe that wimbley is a top 5 OLB? cause he's gonna get paid like one.

serious questions.

Originally Posted by LiCeNseD To BaLL

laugh.gif

Do you always have to enter our team thread every single season and take shots at our intellect? I mean if you are upset with a couple people why do you have to take it out on our entire fan base year after year? What the hell have we done to you my dude, someone sleep with your girl? 
tired.gif

you guys NEVER troll the raiders thread eh? thats the only reason i come in here dude. and im just messing with mojodmonky, relax 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

laugh.gif
my apologies... tommy kelly.

and since you are in this thread, can you explain why wimbley getting the franchise tag is not considered a bad deal?

arent the raiders right near if not over the estimated cap?
couldn't they have used that money to shore up some other positions in need?  safety? cb? right tackle?
do you believe that wimbley is a top 5 OLB? cause he's gonna get paid like one.

serious questions.

cap shouldnt be a proble and thats with wimbley already tagged before the lockout. routt was resigned at cb and they are going out and trying to sign an RT right now.  wimbley is probably going to get a long term contract before the season starts, tag was just to keep him away from other teams . he played extremely well last year so i dont see anyone too upset over him being paid well. as for safety, i have no idea. probably get to watch tyvon branch chase people from behind even more this season. doesnt seem to be anyone great out there especially if weddle was regarded as one of the best FA's at that position. hopefully some other team will overpay Huff.
laugh.gif

^ thanks for the response.

Regarding Wimbley. Even though I hate saying anything nice about the Raiders, I have to admit that he did play well last year. That being said, I dont think his level of play was commensurate with the amount of money they stand to ship his way. Even if the tag was just a strategy to protect him while they work out terms on a long term deal, dont you have to assume that the long term deal will put him in the same level (money-wise) with the elite top tier guys at his position? Is he worth that kind of money, or is it another Eric Weddle type of situation ("above average".... and i use that term very loosely, getting elite talent money).

Do you still think the Wimbley tag/potential future big money deal was worth it if it comes at the expense of being able to pursue and ultimately pay a solid RT to shore up that O-line?

sorry for the thread derail.... back to the Chargers

Eric Effin Weddle... I still cant believe it.

The best player isn't always the highest paid player, and vice-versa.

Am I a huge fan of Eric Weddle?  Not as much as some of my fellow Charger fans.

Do I think 40 million over 5 years is ridiculous?  Not really.  Continuity in the secondary apparently is very high in AJ Smith's priority list and it shows in the purchase price.  Considering the fact the Chargers are moving to a new philosophy on defense I am sure AJ wanted to avoid bringing a new player in the mix at such an important position.  Weddle made big strides the last couple years, and in reality has been teamed with some sorry counterparts in the Safety position (my apologies to Gregory and Oliver fans.)  I think the front office sees Weddle as the unsung leader of the defense and someone they don't have to worry about on or off the field (i.e. at Fluxx, Bar West or Stingaree) which is worth a lot (prob not $8 mil/year, though).

Besides, next year I am sure another Safety will be paid an even larger amount than we see here.

Hopefully they have enough to get Floyd back at the #2, I dont see Patrick Crayton or Ajirotutu as a viable second (third, if you include Gates) target.

^ so far you're happy with them making Eric Weddle the HIGHEST PAID SAFETY IN THE NFL?!?!?!?!

i think Weddle is trash. Well... "trash" is a bit harsh. He is an middle of the pack very average safety. I swear its like Bizarro world. Did Al Davis switch bodies with AJ for the day? The Weddle signing is right up there with the dumb moves that Davis makes (Tommie Harris, Wimbley franchise tag, letting Awesom-o walk, etc...)
I came in here specifically to ask what's worse;
Sanford Routt, 3yrs @ 30m or Weddle, 5yrs at 40m 
roll.gif

I'm still hurting over the Routt contract, yall bout to be feeling this for years though.

edit: Anybody talking bad about tagging Wembley just doesn't know !$*% about our team. 

He was a huge reason why we jumped to 3rd in the league in sacks last season. 

weddle isnt that bad. 19 mil guaranteed is too much but i dont think the chargers had a choice. there arent many other options. its about time safeties started getting grossly overpaid just like cb's.
laugh.gif

mojod, i think wimbley is worth the money he's going to get. ive read conflicting stories about the raiders cap space so i cant really be sure about that issue.

are the chargers going to extend VJ now or wait until next season?

hey guys, hopefully this thread gets a little more activity then the ones in years past 
laugh.gif
 i have a few thoughts about what we've done so far
-love the bob sanders signing, if he can stay healthy for maybe even half the games i'd be thrilled

-takeo spikes was a solid signing

-weddle shouldn't have made anything near what he got but congrats to him and his agent 
laugh.gif
 the only problem with that signing is that burnett is probably gone now and i know barnett had SD "at the top of his list" but that won't happen now either

-finally, everyone seems pretty confident we're getting steve smith, if that happens i think its safe to say we're a legit super bowl contender 
pimp.gif

its good to see some of you guys again, heres to a great year fellas!

Really upset Takeo wont be with the Niners next year. He was a fun guy to root for the past couple seasons. Good luck to him and the Chargers.

not "happy" at what we paid
laugh.gif
, just happy hes staying.....

...anyways, im kinda bummed i can probably only attend to the 1st game of the season, and maybe the last 2 (damn passport expires around the 2nd home game) and im not gonna be able to go to sd untill late nov
frown.gif
, so hopefully i can go to 2-4 games, and if theres a postseason im there ..

are the chargers going to extend VJ now or wait until next season?
There is still doubt that they will extend him at all at this point, he considers himself a top 5 WR money wise... dunno if he's gonna get that.

Hopefully the Chargers give him a long term contract this year, but will probably wait and see how he produces and acts off the field.

VJs agent told someone at ESPN yesterday that he is going to sign his tender.

Spikes is an awesome pickup.

If the Chargers get Steve Smith, Rivers will probably break Marinos record this year.

I read that the Panthers are keeping Steve Smith. I can only imagine how much more explosive the offense will be with him on the squad.

Chargers will sign VJax at 3:01 P.M. on Friday.

1 minute after he is allowed to sign

^I'm pretty sure that was just said for emphasis, my friend knows VJ personally and he's signing it as soon as he gets back from his honeymoon which will be friday afternoon

Back
Top Bottom