:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Offseason Thread [NFC CHAMPIONS]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Colin Kaepernick Verified account
‏@Kaepernick7

Congrats @CoachJim4UM for the 10 win season and the huge bowl victory!
jt3v4tcmyltqcljncgbc.gif

Last edited:
[h2]  [/h2]
[h2]Whoa, Ward: 49ers CB finishing second season in shut-down mode[/h2]
In late September, Jimmie Ward was a former first-round pick with second-string status.

Instead of playing the nickel cornerback role he held as a rookie in 2014, he was playing sparingly. He logged just 29 percent of the defensive snaps in the first three games and was surrounded by injury questions: He had returned to practice in mid-August after undergoing the second surgery on his right foot since he’d left Northern Illinois.

In other words, he looked far more like a botched pick than budding star.

Four months later, however, defensive coordinator Eric Mangini was asked Thursday to highlight some young players he was excited about given their performance this season.

“Well,” Mangini began, “one guy that stands out right away is Jimmie Ward.”

Yes, Mr. Bust could be a bona-fide pick after all.

After reclaiming his nickel cornerback role in Week 4, Ward has steadily improved, to the point where he’s been in shut-down mode down the stretch. In the past four weeks, Ward has allowed a 44.6 passer rating when targeted, which ranks seventh of 109 cornerbacks over that span, according to Pro Football Focus. He has also been targeted just once in every 9.7 coverage snaps, which ranks second of 80 cornerbacks.

His four-week stretch began with his first career interception, which he returned 29 yards for a touchdown, in a 26-20 overtime win over the Bears on Dec. 6.

On Thursday, Mangini said Ward’s on-field performance had plenty to do with off-the-field effort. Ward is a film-studying junkie who is known to huddle with secondary coach Tim Lewis on plane flights to ensure he can ace his assignments.

“Over the course of his career, that approach is going to serve him really well and as he builds up experience and reps with that work ethic,” Mangini said. “He’s got a chance not just to make plays on ability; he’s going to make plays because the whole game slows down. So I’ve loved that about him.”

Ward is clearly getting quite comfortable in the slot, but he’ll likely move to foreign territory Sunday in the regular-season finale against the Rams at Levi’s Stadium. Ward is expected to shift to safety because rookie Jaquiski Tartt is doubtful with a knee injury.

Ward was a safety in high school and college, but hasn’t played the position in a regular-season NFL game. Given his inexperience, he expects to stay busy against St. Louis.

“I expect the quarterback to look at me the majority of the time to see if I’m going to give a look away,” Ward said. “Because, you know, it’s my first time playing safety. I’m pretty sure he’ll hear about it ... And I’m pretty sure they’re going to try me - take a couple shots. I’m a nickel. I’m sure they’re probably going to run toward my side, too. So I’m looking forward to it.”

Ward is also looking forward to down time in the offseason, which will allow him rest of his right foot. Ward has had two surgeries on his foot in the past 21 months and has worn a plastic orthotic inside his cleat this season. Ward said he’d been told he can ditch the device in 2016, but he acknowledged he may never be completely pain-free during his career.

“It’s just like tearing a piece of paper and taping it back up,” Ward said. “You’ll never get the same piece of paper. In this offseason, I’ll try to get help and have all the pain massaged out. Hopefully, when next year comes rolling around, it will be close to 100 percent.”

The injury is part of the reason for Ward’s slow start this season. He played extensively on special teams, but logged just 54 of 185 defensive snaps in the first three games. The 49ers went back to Ward after the secondary was torched in back-to-back blowout road losses to Pittsburgh and Arizona.

“I wasn’t really mad,” Ward said. “I was disappointed. I knew I was going to get my shot again. And I just really had to make the most of it.”

Last edited:
somewhere jed is furious

Coach Harbaugh ‏@CoachJim4UM 
 3m3 minutes ago

Coach Harbaugh Retweeted Colin Kaepernick

Thanks, Kap! Much appreciated, means a lot! All the best in 2016!

Jim Harbaugh is not above getting back at that rodent, Jed, so I have no doubts Coach is doing this with all the intentions of pissing Jed off. Harbs just took a floundering college program back to a bowl game meanwhile, his former employer is going in the opposite trajectory.

SHOT FIRED *POW*POW*

glad to see Jimmie flourishing. my only problem with him is that his pick-6 during that bears game could ultimately be the difference between getting Goff versus some no name talent ballin out in the ******* mountain west conference.

baalke has to be loving what he sees from emmanuel ogbah. another player that checks the boxes for the proverbial baalke pick. i imagine he's not far behind buckner on his big board.

Last edited:
Coach Tomsula is a great DL coach and seems like a great person, but reality is he isnt that good as HC. Sucks they are firing him as a person but not the HC.

Now is it too late now to say sorry to Coach Harbaugh. That would be a dream come true waking up to that story.

In reality like most have said get a offensive minded coach draft Goff and the niners are back in buisness.

Arkansas RB Alex Collins 5'11 215 lbs

one of my fav RBs in College. Not a superstar, but quietly very productive. physical, down-hill runner with great size. i love his patience, feet and vision. could be a nice grab in the 4th.

aktd.0.gif

a-c-cutback.gif

Last edited:
Interesting tweet by the agent. Although not one of the premier sports agencies, I wonder if theres any truth to his knowledge about the 9ers head coaching job. Even tho I do not want Tomsula as a HC next yr, I fully expect him to be.

@DeSimone_80 39 minutes ago
List of potential HCs via @AlbertBreer: T. Austin, Gase, Holmgren, Hue, B Kelly, C Kelly, McDaniels, McDermott, Saban, Shanny, Shaw, Shula

@DeSimone_80 38 minutes ago
There's enough here to take a chance on another direction. Harbaugh's a once in a generation coach, so can't wait for that caliber guy again

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom