:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

I purchased a pair of Raging Bull Vs that had started to fade and decided to dye the suede. I purchased Fiebrings "red" suede dye but when I received the bottle realized I had received "red rogue". Not knowing if this was a mistake or not I dyed them anyways and they are slightly darker than the original color. Any ideas on what I should do?

check your local shoe spots ig. ive noticed some shops in my area have been putting on local restorers info up. dudes offering full restoration services is a good hustle for those who dont want to do it themselves. i wouldnt want the liability but all the power to those who have mastered the craft
Thanks man, but I'm in the UK and really there isn't many people (if any) that I know who could do restorations...I'll just have to keep an eye out on here

Does anyone have experience throwing freerun2s or lunarracer 3s in the washing machine? I use these in the gym everyday and they took a beating.

I've got a pair of 2011 BC3's and I'm working on stripping the paint off and repainting them. The white paint is easy enough but the black paint seems to have a protective layer over it or something and rubbing acetone on iy doesn't have much effect on stripping the paint. Any ways to do this quicker?

Does anyone have experience throwing freerun2s or lunarracer 3s in the washing machine? I use these in the gym everyday and they took a beating.

I washed my freerun2s in the washer the other day. I threw in 4-5 towels to protect the shoes. They came out fine.

Hey, please help me... Do you think these 2000 6s are wearable, they are super vnds but have been worn. Does anyone else have 2000 or older 6s? Please tell me your experience

I have some chrome lows which are a little younger but still around the same age.

Anyway check the midsole on the heel. If it is soft it may be a sign that the shoe is nearing crumbling. The midsoles are supposed to be firm on VIs. From the looks of it, those might be fine. Its a toss up though till you get them in hand.

can i use yellow amour all on bottom of aj 11 to prevent yellowing?
nothing prevents yellowing except a vacuum sealed bag and absolutely no light but after a while they will destroy the shoe by not allowing it to breathe. it might slow the process down but cleaning your clear parts of the shoe after EVERY wear helps a ton as well. They will yellow and they will seperate, its life.

nothing prevents yellowing except a vacuum sealed bag and absolutely no light but after a while they will destroy the shoe by not allowing it to breathe. it might slow the process down but cleaning your clear parts of the shoe after EVERY wear helps a ton as well. They will yellow and they will seperate, its life.

I will disagree only because I have '01 True Blues that are as crispy white as the day they came out. Back tab is bright white.

I keep the paper in the box, store in a cool place/closet, no vacuum seals, no bs...

You can definitely prevent it.

Last edited:
i'm talking about a ds pair that has been sitting in the closet for yrs. it only has yellowing around the traction pods.i ask cause i read on here with the 5's if they are ds and going to be on ice you can use yellow arm. & that will prevent them from yellowing while sitting in the closet.i already know all the above info you mentioned.i just don't know much about keeping clear soles ds without yellowing.

Last edited:
Anything wrong with wet wipes ? I did a search but didn't see any clear answers on what material not to use them on

I just got in the lincoln ez cleaner suede and was wondering what the best way to use it on a pair of timbs would be? I never used this stuff before so any instructions would be appreciated. Thanks

Reading through this forum, I see Bar Keepers Friend is recommended for getting yellow out of shoes. And Island Girl is recommended for getting yellow out of clear based soles.

I still have a pair of 1997 pearl Foamposites, they have turned yellow allover, the Nike checks on the sides even fell off! I know I can glue the Nike checks back on using Gorilla Glue I already have. And Gorilla Glue worked great to rectify sole separation when I did it. I'll try the Bar Keepers Friend on the shoes to restore them back to pearl again hopefully. But about Bar Keepers Friend, what kind should I use since there's different types? I checked on Target website, it seems like they only have the powdered detergent kind. What kind did y'all use to get the yellow of your shoes? The liquid or detergent? Or some other type?

Where is the Island Girl Sea Glow sold at land based stores? Can I find them at Target? It seems more expensive to order direct from their site. But is that the only option to acquire them? Same inquiry, what type of Sea Glow should I use to restore clear based soles?

These Stains were caused by SEA GLOW, anybody have a solution to this????????
frown.gif

frown.gif

That's why you don't use sea glow bro just make retro bright it's cheaper and not as Dangerous. But the only think Incan think of is nail polish remover put it on a q-tip and rub it gently. Might work might not I've never had a sea gllow stain.

1989 Fire Red 4's Sole Swap Restoration Project: This is my first swap of an original pair. I've swapped many retro's before from 1994 - 2000. There were many things I've learned from swapping this pair that I will implement in future swaps. Not only this was the most difficult, it was also the most time consuming. Countless trial and errors. The leather was in chipping easily. Even if I place masking tape over the leather, the leather would peel off of the shoe and remain on the tape. That's how brittle the leather is. 

Also it was even harder since the previous owner glued the entire midsole lmao. Please please please never glue the midsoles. It will make it more difficult for someone who is going to sole swap the shoe to have a successful sole swap.

Last edited:
1989 Fire Red 4's Sole Swap Restoration Project: This is my first swap of an original pair. I've swapped many retro's before from 1994 - 2000. There were many things I've learned from swapping this pair that I will implement in future swaps. Not only this was the most difficult, it was also the most time consuming. Countless trial and errors. The leather was in chipping easily. Even if I place masking tape over the leather, the leather would peel off of the shoe and remain on the tape. That's how brittle the leather is. 

Also it was even harder since the previous owner glued the entire midsole lmao. Please please please never glue the midsoles. It will make it more difficult for someone who is going to sole swap the shoe to have a successful sole swap.
Nice work especially considering the age and the condition of the shoe....what other kicks have you done sole swaps on & where can I see some pics?

I use a small spray bottle (used an old cd cleaner bottle) and spray the ez cleaner directly on the boot then scub with a toothbrush. Wipe down with a clean cloth and let dry. It's also good to hit them with a suede brush before you start cleaning.

Last edited:
frown.gif

That's why you don't use sea glow bro just make retro bright it's cheaper and not as Dangerous. But the only think Incan think of is nail polish remover put it on a q-tip and rub it gently. Might work might not I've never had a sea gllow stain.

Yeah, that's permanent, when I sea glow, I have the shoes upright with the light coming from the bottom. The sea glow got beneath the top layer of plastic on the patent leather.

frown.gif

clean them up and try to remove any resedue or product on the PL then use the acrylic finisher (high gloss) from turtlefeathers.net to make it shine again and im sure it will be back to new pretty much, here is the link:

http://turtlefeathers.net/text/angelus/miscellaneous-products.html#finisher

scroll down to the finisher and pick how glossy you want it to be and then go to town on making your shoes look new again.

Back
Top Bottom