:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Trying to touch up the faded elephant print on a pair of atmos elephant print air max 1s. What do you guys think is the best way to do this. I've heard using a sharpie is a terrible and cheap way to do it, so i'm ruling that out. I was thinking of using either a deco marker or angelus paint. Any tips/advice/suggestions? please and thank you :D
definitely don't use a sharpie, you reminded of that guy in the Kobe 9 thread that used a sharpie to color in the flyknit of his inspirations :x . I would personally use Angelus with a very short thin brush and patience.

Thanks homie, I was leaning torwards angelus paint too. I'll probably order some off turtlefeathers and post before and after pics :wink:

Looking to possibly pick up another pair of 2000 Space Jam's for a decent price, but this was one of the major flaws I noticed. Seller say's he doesn't know what it is (asked him whether it was a scuff/scratch or glue stains). For scuffs/scratches, I saw that people used acetone and a cotton swob, but it seems to only work on minor damage. Anyone have any suggestions for something like this? Could it be the paint rubbing off?? Kinda want to make sure I can fix it before picking it up, but it's making the decision difficult not knowing exactly what the problem is.

Also on my current pair of 2000 Space Jam's I recently picked up, there's a glue mark on one of the toeboxes and I would like some opinions on how to get rid of it? Looked online and they said to use WD-40 to soften it up and a knife/spoon to peel it off. Not sure if it works though.

Last edited:
I was wondering how I can clean this mess up?

Air max 90 PRM tape glow in the dark

I was wondering if I could use household items like hand soap or do I need something especial?

Jason Markk it

@dontbelikethat use goo-gone. Wet the towel or paper towel gently wipe the glue mark down until it start desolving

Last edited:
I had asked this before, but will ask again since the topic of cleaning came up. What is better jason markk or shoe mgk? Thanks!

Got the acetone and started stripping the paint. Well the paint isn't stripping but the top glittery layer is coming off :lol:. Leaving like a matte smooth-but-rough finish, if that makes sense :lol:.

Glitter layer coming off:

Can't tell the difference in pics, but the shoe up top has been stripped:

It was a huge pain when I first started. Then about halfway through the first shoe I figured out a trick to remove it faster and that's worked really well.

Looks like I'm just gonna have to paint over the grey layer. Hopefully it turns out nice.

Last edited:

Hi guys, i've been trying to dig my hands into restoring some of my sneakers recently and was wondering if i could get some advice in regards to repainting midsoles. Below are some pics of my cg 4s that i repainted the other day. I started by taping it down acetoning the entire midsole. Then i did about 8 or so coats of angelus white paint. The problem is that I think the paint job came off a bit bumpy. I was wondering if there is something i should do differently to not get such a bumpy result. Please excuse the leakage onto the suede from the tape.

Got the acetone and started stripping the paint. Well the paint isn't stripping but the top glittery layer is coming off :lol:. Leaving like a matte smooth-but-rough finish, if that makes sense :lol:.

Glitter layer coming off:

Can't tell the difference in pics, but the shoe up top has been stripped:

It was a huge pain when I first started. Then about halfway through the first shoe I figured out a trick to remove it faster and that's worked really well.

Looks like I'm just gonna have to paint over the grey layer. Hopefully it turns out nice.
the paint should grab as long as you do light coats. That's a very flexible midsole tho. Add some acrylic finisher to the end of the paint job to help with the cracking in the future just in case.

airjordanx65x airjordanx65x what do you mean by bumpy? I'm guessing you mean rough and not smooth??

@gil23 that is exactly what i mean. It doesnt have the same smoothness as a factory finish. Also if you look closely at the pictures they dont look like they have the same texture as how the midsole should look fresh out the box. Any advice bro?

Last edited:
I repainted my military 4s and it kind of turned out like that too so i know what you mean. Its because when they are painted at the factory they paint the midsole separate from the shoe and they spray it so there arent any brush strokes or specks of dirt in the paint. There really isnt anything you can to fix it except for putting a finisher over the paint but then it will look thick and more glossy.

I repainted my military 4s and it kind of turned out like that too so i know what you mean. Its because when they are painted at the factory they paint the midsole separate from the shoe and they spray it so there arent any brush strokes or specks of dirt in the paint. There really isnt anything you can to fix it except for putting a finisher over the paint but then it will look thick and more glossy.

I've been looking at those air legend repaints and makes me self conscious about my own repaints ;( From these pics how do you think i did overall? Also do you got any good tips for a better repaint

Last edited:
I've been looking at those air legend repaints and makes me self conscious about my own repaints ;( From these pics how do you think i did overall? Also do you got any good tips for a better repaint
honestly i would say you did an 8/10. It looks kind of thick and gloppy and i think you could have taped it off a little better. You brought them back to life though and they will look fine when your wearing them. I used a credit cart to stick the tape down and get it in the edges of the midsole. Also remember to do thin coats and let them dry atleast 1 hour before putting more on. Overall they look pretty good

honestly i would say you did an 8/10. It looks kind of thick and gloppy and i think you could have taped it off a little better. You brought them back to life though and they will look fine when your wearing them. I used a credit cart to stick the tape down and get it in the edges of the midsole. Also remember to do thin coats and let them dry atleast 1 hour before putting more on. Overall they look pretty good

Thanks man yeah, the paint leaked a lot more then i expected. I will definately try that credit card trick though, sounds like a good tip

Last edited:
@gil23 that is exactly what i mean. It doesnt have the same smoothness as a factory finish. Also if you look closely at the pictures they dont look like they have the same texture as how the midsole should look fresh out the box. Any advice bro?
How was the prep job on them/How was the surface before you started painting? also how many coats and what did you use to paint?

Last edited:
gil23 gil23 Yeah I'm gonna order the Angelus Finisher. Thanks for all the advice :smokin.

Think I should go with the Semi-Gloss or New Shoe Gloss? I'm thinking Semi Gloss, I don't want it to be extra shiny.

Last edited:

Hi guys, i've been trying to dig my hands into restoring some of my sneakers recently and was wondering if i could get some advice in regards to repainting midsoles. Below are some pics of my cg 4s that i repainted the other day. I started by taping it down acetoning the entire midsole. Then i did about 8 or so coats of angelus white paint. The problem is that I think the paint job came off a bit bumpy. I was wondering if there is something i should do differently to not get such a bumpy result. Please excuse the leakage onto the suede from the tape.

not bad ive seen some "restorers" with way worse work. before repainting ill use a fine grit sandpaper like 1000 to smooth out any rough spots. did you retape after you removed the old paint with acetone? that may help some of the leakage. you can also try removing old paint with a metal file as too much acetone will destroy the midsole

Back
Top Bottom