:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

So i'm getting ready to put in some work on my Military IVs including repainting the midsole which I'm not excited to do because it'll be my first time doing it. I have the Angelus already but I see from this thread that I need a paint duller and primer as well; can someone let me know what brands would be best for this?
I'll be posting pics later of a Retrobrite experiment on some Green Bean Vs in the coming days, just gotta fix some sole separation today.
I just did the same thing on my military iv's earlier this year. You're gonna have to experiment on mixing blue angelus with white angelus paint to get the desired shade for the military colorway. Before you strip the midsole paint try mixing the colors first to compare it. Took me a couple of hours to paint a couple of coats. Take your time and don't do a rush job.

I got a couple questions:

1) There's paint on one of the air bubbles of my Cavs (JB quality...
mean.gif
). What should I use to remove it without damaging the rest of the shoe? Here's the pic. It's minor, but my OCD wants it gone.

2) The white laces on my Military Blue IV's are dirty. Is soaking them in warm water and cleaning them with soap a good way to clean them?

Thanks.

Last edited:
NT must have deleted my account from the old site, oh well. This is my new blog dedicated to my shoe restoration business, please check it out & let me know what you think!

troubledsolerestorations.tumblr.com

I got a couple questions:

1) There's paint on one of the air bubbles of my Cavs (JB quality... :smh: ). What should I use to remove it without damaging the rest of the shoe? Here's the pic. It's minor, but my OCD wants it gone.

2) The white laces on my Military Blue IV's are dirty. Is soaking them in warm water and cleaning them with soap a good way to clean them?

Thanks.

1. have you tried scraping it off? ...I'd say finger nail polish remover, but that can be problematic if not used properly.

2. That's how I wash mine...just make sure to scrub them well and rinse repeatedly until all of the soap is gone from the laces.

Here's how I whiten laces.

First, I grab two empty plastic bottles. The regular 500 mL bottles are preferable.

Second, I put hot water and detergent in one bottle, and warm luke water with bleach in the other.

Third, I slip the laces inside the detergent bottle and shake it up and let it soak for a minimum of 3 hours.

Lastly, I take out the laces and put it in the bleach bottle and repeat the same process.

After that is finished, I take out the laces, squeeze out the bleach that is absorbed in the fabric, rinse it with water, and I let it air dry overnight.

The results WILL be dramatic depending on how dirty, yellow, and greasy the laces are.

Here is an example of my technique:

Last edited:
There's a way to prevent them in the first place - google SKUFF Protective Coatings.  It's a clear coat that you apply to shoes to prevent scuff marks, repel water, dirt, and stains, and add a shine that lasts for years.  Basically, it's the same principle as applying a clear coat over a car's paint job to keep it looking new.  Except, when you apply a clear coat over shoes, they always stay looking new as long as you own them.  Google it - it'll keep your shoes clean and looking new as long as you own them!

NT must have deleted my account from the old site, oh well. This is my new blog dedicated to my shoe restoration business, please check it out & let me know what you think!

troubledsolerestorations.tumblr.com

1. No offense just pointing a few things out. The purple on your aqua 8's midsole repaint is very off in color. The aquatone is a shade or 2 off as well.
2. The '99 Chrome 4's rubber sole and toecap are still very yellowed, not much difference and the sole still looks full of dirt for a "full restore"
3. I know your lighting is different but come on, those DTRT things midsoles are not even close to OG color..
4. The stealth 5's midsole colors weren't matched

on a good note, the mocha 3's look very good, but that's not really a hard shoe to restore :/

And yes I'm very critical

Can someone school me on Retr0brite? :nerd:

Looking to brighten my 09 Space Jam soles...

Last edited:
new member but i've been following this site for a while. is it ok to use ugg brand suede waterproof spray on the new VII charcoals? i believe they are nubuck. thanks.

1. No offense just pointing a few things out. The purple on your aqua 8's midsole repaint is very off in color. The aquatone is a shade or 2 off as well.
2. The '99 Chrome 4's rubber sole and toecap are still very yellowed, not much difference and the sole still looks full of dirt for a "full restore"
3. I know your lighting is different but come on, those DTRT things midsoles are not even close to OG color..
4. The stealth 5's midsole colors weren't matched
on a good note, the mocha 3's look very good, but that's not really a hard shoe to restore :/
And yes I'm very critical
Thanks for your input Raleigh Restorations, I've been peeping your work for a while & really respect it.

1. First time mixing aqua, learned a lot but after I had painted one shoe, the purple seemed to match better with the OG color than the aqua. They're hard to match, but I think I know what to do for next time.

2. The rubber & toecap still were fairly yellowed, yes, once I have the time to make a batch of retrobrite that shouldn't be a problem anymore. I do have a whitening tool for rubber but it's getting old & needs to be replaced. As for the sole, they probably picked up a little dirt from my messy room after I had cleaned them, but I can guarantee that besides that one stain that wouldn't come out, the soles were fully cleaned. 

3. This was also my first time mixing DTRT paint, I did it again on another pair a week or two ago & I got better results. However, if you look at the pics, the midsole paint in the before pics matches the the lace holes. In the after pics, the paint matches the lace holes. The lighting for the two is very different like you said, but it was still a close match that looked very good in person, not like the bright orange that is shown in the pics. 

4. If you are referring to the blue on the stealth midsole, it was a little off. However, the grey was matched perfectly, I put my mix on the OG color & could not tell a difference.

I'm still fairly new to mixing paint, but I'm learning fast. Your criticism is appreciated, & hopefully in the near future once I have more time to experiment with things, I will get even better results.

Thanks for your input Raleigh Restorations, I've been peeping your work for a while & really respect it.

1. First time mixing aqua, learned a lot but after I had painted one shoe, the purple seemed to match better with the OG color than the aqua. They're hard to match, but I think I know what to do for next time.
2. The rubber & toecap still were fairly yellowed, yes, once I have the time to make a batch of retrobrite that shouldn't be a problem anymore. I do have a whitening tool for rubber but it's getting old & needs to be replaced. As for the sole, they probably picked up a little dirt from my messy room after I had cleaned them, but I can guarantee that besides that one stain that wouldn't come out, the soles were fully cleaned. 
3. This was also my first time mixing DTRT paint, I did it again on another pair a week or two ago & I got better results. However, if you look at the pics, the midsole paint in the before pics matches the the lace holes. In the after pics, the paint matches the lace holes. The lighting for the two is very different like you said, but it was still a close match that looked very good in person, not like the bright orange that is shown in the pics. 
4. If you are referring to the blue on the stealth midsole, it was a little off. However, the grey was matched perfectly, I put my mix on the OG color & could not tell a difference.

I'm still fairly new to mixing paint, but I'm learning fast. Your criticism is appreciated, & hopefully in the near future once I have more time to experiment with things, I will get even better results.

First step you have nailed down, unlike most people on here you didn't get mad you're willing to listen and learn. Just a big tip, your paint is always going to dry 1/2 to a ful shade darker than it appears on your mixing board or cup!

Some of you guys do amazing work.

This is not directed to anybody specifically, but just as a tip for all those who are setting up sites to show off their work. Don't play games with the lighting, etc. Customers who are anal enough about restoring shoes are also observant enough to notice if you manipulate the lighting/angles in the before and after shots to exaggerate the "wow factor." Take pride in your work and present it honestly - the types of folks you want as your customers will be knowledgeable enough to notice it and respect it. We value your work on its merits. This is especially true if you are taking in shoes from other people via mail, etc. The first barrier you have to erase to get you business in swing is to get prospective customers to trust you - not just your skills, but that they can leave their possessions with you. If you are manipulating before and after images in your "advertisements" then you and your customers are already off on the wrong foot in the honesty and trust departments.

Keep up the good work, fellas!!

First step you have nailed down, unlike most people on here you didn't get mad you're willing to listen and learn. Just a big tip, your paint is always going to dry 1/2 to a ful shade darker than it appears on your mixing board or cup!
Haha I try, all I can do is learn more. & oh yeah, I've already figured that out. It's annoying to have to wait for it to dry but in my earlier days I would think that if I had a color mixed & it was wet, that was the color that would appear on the shoe. Learned the hard way real quick.

Is there a way I can coat the icy soles on my 2012 olympic 6s? I wore them a total of 3 times in dry conditions at the mall and at school, but I think I stepped in a some gum. So i didn't notice until a few days later and the gum or whatever it was caused yellowing in the corner of one of the spikes of icy sole on the bottom! 
mean.gif
 I'm so pissed! I didn't even wear the shoes in the grass or anything! Could I coat the soles with epoxy or something to protect the soles from yellowing? Also I moved my left foot in the shoe and all the leather on the upper on the outward facing side is creased! What can i do to get rid of them? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!! 
frown.gif

Last edited:
Chill out. Geez, you stepped in gum and creased a shoe from wearing it. Maybe y'all dudes should just bronze your kicks.

The more of these posts I read, the more I feel like these guys -

Question 1: Is it okay to leave Rit on the mesh of Air Jordan  XI's for extended periods before rinsing it out? Does it increases effectiveness of the whitening process? Also, I would like to know if the DMP XI's have that same brilliant white mesh as the Concord's is it a shade duller?

Question 2: When retrobriting XI's does anyone notice that saran wrap leaves marks on the patent leather? It wiped off with water, but wondering if this could become a more serious issue if I left shoes out for longer periods?

How would u guys recommend cleaning dirt spots on the white mesh top of the toe box of AM 90s?

And also where could I purchase some Sea Glow? Thank You.

Last edited:
Question 1: Is it okay to leave Rit on the mesh of Air Jordan  XI's for extended periods before rinsing it out? Does it increases effectiveness of the whitening process? Also, I would like to know if the DMP XI's have that same brilliant white mesh as the Concord's is it a shade duller?

Question 2: When retrobriting XI's does anyone notice that saran wrap leaves marks on the patent leather? It wiped off with water, but wondering if this could become a more serious issue if I left shoes out for longer periods?

not sure about the first question, second though I would recommend that you not use saran wrap when doing outdoor methods.

Back
Top Bottom