Official Spurs vs. Hornets Game 6 vol. Let's Get It

Horry's foul was not dirty at all. It was a hard pick. He did lean into him and that resulted in a foul, but it really didn't look as it was intendedto hurt or leave David West laid out on the floor. It's not his fault David West has had previous back problems. Anyone else and it wouldn't have beenperceived as bad as some are trying to make it out to be.

Originally Posted by acidicality

Let me also say that I'm not saying any of you are wrong, and I am right, I'm simply saying how I felt about the play. Am I the almighty being who has the right answer? No of course not. But I'm just trying to show you how I saw the play. It was an iffy play, offensive foul, but I fail to see the maliciousness/intent to hurt him. The fact that David West jumped made it all the worse.
Nah, I think we're all aware of that
laugh.gif
. There are always multiple ways to view something; it's not bad to have different perspectives, as long as everyone respects everyone else's opinions.

Everyone has their opinion on this play. If West didn't get hurt, this would have been a non-issue. You have your opinion (though you're alone onthis one
tongue.gif
) and we have ours.

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

Let me also say that I'm not saying any of you are wrong, and I am right, I'm simply saying how I felt about the play. Am I the almighty being who has the right answer? No of course not. But I'm just trying to show you how I saw the play. It was an iffy play, offensive foul, but I fail to see the maliciousness/intent to hurt him. The fact that David West jumped made it all the worse.
Nah, I think we're all aware of that
laugh.gif
. There are always multiple ways to view something; it's not bad to have different perspectives, as long as everyone respects everyone else's opinions.

Everyone has their opinion on this play. If West didn't get hurt, this would have been a non-issue. You have your opinion (though you're alone on this one
tongue.gif
) and we have ours.

JERKS!
smh.gif
SMH @ classless GSW fans.
smh.gif

laugh.gif

how the hell did these bandwagon loser warrior fans bring themselves up in these random threads again? u attention whores
get over it losers, you guys didn't make the playoffs.

Edit: Temporarily banned for personal attacks.

JA, if I were Horry in that situation, and West flew at me like that, I would have put my hands on his back to keep him from running into me.I know he was in the middle of a screen; but still, that lean was definitely extracirricular in the way I see it. A simple firm hand in the back without a forward motion would have sufficed without getting "run over by West".

If Horry reaches out and puts his hands on West while setting a screen that's an obvious offensive foul.

If I was West in that situation, I would be livid with Peja and Chandler for not calling out the screen. Peja is standing there watching the screen beingset in slow motion and Chandler has a great view from the post of the screen developing. West's teammates HAVE to verbally call a vicious blind screen likethat to West's attention, so he doesn't foolishly run/jump right into it.

35bd0yu.gif

If Horry reaches out and puts his hands on West while setting a screen that's an obvious offensive foul.
i think i should have clarified it a bit, i don't mean like reaching out like that but just putting a hand out, and as West falls back heabsorbs his contact to prevent himself from falling down.

. but maybe that's a foul in the NBA cuz there's a touch anyway.
laugh.gif

Why are these fools talking about championships before they were even born
smh.gif
. Just as bad as these Faker fans who think they're entitled to everything because of championships they've won 20 years ago
smh.gif

eek.gif
so this was ZoDoggy's secret sn. Do it Ska!

laugh.gif

Horry's foul was not dirty at all. It was a hard pick. He did lean into him and that resulted in a foul, but it really didn't look as it was intended to hurt or leave David West laid out on the floor. It's not his fault David West has had previous back problems. Anyone else and it wouldn't have been perceived as bad as some are trying to make it out to be.

I missed the game, so can anyone who watched the game tell me how the officiating was? From the highlights it looks pretty bad.

who braces themselves by leaning forward with your forearms and shoulder?if I turned around and someone was flying in my direction,i would lean back to avoidthe hit abd put my arm out to stop his momentum...

it was dirty...horry is a dirty player

Should be a good game 7.

Pending on West's status. I hope West's not 80%, 85%, or even 90% going into Game 7... I hope he's 100%. It sucks what Horry did
smh.gif
. If The Spurs win Game 7, we're going to have another series where we ask "what if" if West's not 100%.

Until next year when a rematch in the post season occurs and the Spurs win the series 4-1 with David West. Just like they did to the Suns this year, withAmare

Okay. After playing years of basketball, from 5A high school ball to college rec center ball, let me clarify WHY it's a dirty play.

Sports aside, common sense (which we'll assume Horry has) tells you that hitting a man in the lower back is a health hazard. It's why you can't hitthere in boxing and MMA. If you do it in football when you're on offense, it's clipping. It's just dangerous to hit people when their heads areturned like that.

With that being said, in all levels of basketball, you can draw a foul 1 of 2 ways by standing COMPLETELY STILL. On offense, you can set a screen, which isdefined by you standing STRAIGHT UP, feet planted, and allowing your teammate to run his man INTO YOU. If you shift your bodyweight in any way shape or form(look at video of Horry, he's leaning forward, on his toes), it's a OFFENSIVE FOUL.

Same applies when taking a charge on defense. You must have your feet planted, and allow the offensive player to run you over. If you move forward, backward,or sideways before the contact is made, it's a blocking foul.

Now with all the information above, Horry knowingly dropped his shoulder into another player's lower back, one who happened to be IN THE AIR. It was just avery dangerous play. If Horry was truly trying to draw the foul or set the screen, then yes, like someone said before, he is supposed to let West run him over.He wasn't trying to set a screen, he took a cheap shot.

Originally Posted by NyRapisBack

Should be a good game 7.

Pending on West's status. I hope West's not 80%, 85%, or even 90% going into Game 7... I hope he's 100%. It sucks what Horry did
smh.gif
. If The Spurs win Game 7, we're going to have another series where we ask "what if" if West's not 100%.

Until next year when a rematch in the post season occurs and the Spurs win the series 4-1 with David West. Just like they did to the Suns this year, with Amare

To say what you said was kind of unfair. Teams change personnel every year. Take the 07-08 Phoenix Suns that lost to the Spurs for example. This teamdeserved to lose to the Spurs. The 06-07 Phoenix Suns that lost to the Spurs didn't necessarily deserve to losethe Spurs this year though. Those two Suns teams were completely different. The Spurs team wasn't completely different, but was different nonetheless.Different match ups, different chemistry, different a whole lot of things with the Phoenix/San Antonio match up in the 07 playoffs compared to the 08 playoffs.You can't just say that "Oh the Spurs beat the Suns this year, that must mean that the they would have beaten them last year even with Amare andBoris". That would translate to someone saying "Oh the Spurs beat Hornets last year, so that must mean that they'll do it again next year in theplayoffs". It doesn't work that way. If that was the case, then what's the reason for playing the games at all? Why don't the Suns, Hornets,or any other team for that matter just lay down when they play the Spurs? The Spurs and Hornets will both add pieces and lose pieces. Whether those piecesimproves or hinders the respective teams is yet to be seen.

Originally Posted by doyung9

Okay. After playing years of basketball, from 5A high school ball to college rec center ball, let me clarify WHY it's a dirty play.

Sports aside, common sense (which we'll assume Horry has) tells you that hitting a man in the lower back is a health hazard. It's why you can't hit there in boxing and MMA. If you do it in football when you're on offense, it's clipping. It's just dangerous to hit people when their heads are turned like that.

With that being said, in all levels of basketball, you can draw a foul 1 of 2 ways by standing COMPLETELY STILL. On offense, you can set a screen, which is defined by you standing STRAIGHT UP, feet planted, and allowing your teammate to run his man INTO YOU. If you shift your bodyweight in any way shape or form (look at video of Horry, he's leaning forward, on his toes), it's a OFFENSIVE FOUL.

Same applies when taking a charge on defense. You must have your feet planted, and allow the offensive player to run you over. If you move forward, backward, or sideways before the contact is made, it's a blocking foul.

Now with all the information above, Horry knowingly dropped his shoulder into another player's lower back, one who happened to be IN THE AIR. It was just a very dangerous play. If Horry was truly trying to draw the foul or set the screen, then yes, like someone said before, he is supposed to let West run him over. He wasn't trying to set a screen, he took a cheap shot.
if you look at the vid, horry was already in position with his shoulder out before west even looked like he was about to jump. this, in no way, was anintentional hit to west's lower back.

as i was watching it from nba.com....Looks like to me that spurs r getting home court advantage calls....ref kinda help them won game 6.

Originally Posted by GORDON GARTRELLE

Horry's foul was not dirty at all. It was a hard pick. He did lean into him and that resulted in a foul, but it really didn't look as it was intended to hurt or leave David West laid out on the floor. It's not his fault David West has had previous back problems. Anyone else and it wouldn't have been perceived as bad as some are trying to make it out to be.

QFT.
Dirty is physical play taken too far (see Horry's hip check of Nash) or specifically targeting an injury with unnatural basketball moves (ie.poking someone's injured ribs). A hard back pick isn't dirty even if the player you're setting the screen on has a back injury. It's not likeHorry lined him up like a safety would a receiver going over the middle. Horry's going to set the pick that way regardless of who it was.

For those of you wondering where your replies went, I hid those that didn't pertain to the topic at hand and weren't relevant to the game at all.

1. I didn't watch the game ( I was on a greyhound bus for the duration of the game)
mad.gif

2. Good win for the Spurs, the only thing I'm counting on next game is the spurs "veteran experience" to pull out one in NO.
3. As I was reading this post, I was imagining Horry forearm shivering West or something, after seeing the actual clip I am reaffirmed that most members of NT sports forum are morons.

Almost every big man in the NBA (espeically Robert Horry) sets a pick while leaning forward. It's called sometimes, sometimes it's not. If you deep down honestly think that's a dirty play then there's nothing to make you think otherwise. I hope ya'll don't play pick up basketball, ya'll would get into a lot of fights if you think that play was dirty.

as i was watching it from nba.com....Looks like to me that spurs r getting home court advantage calls....ref kinda help them won game 6.

Again, I didn't see the game, just that youtube vid of the "bad calls", which I'm still trying to understand the point of; but refs help them win by 19 points?

Watching the play in slow motion makes it seem as if it weren't dirty, but then watching in real time it actually looks like he checks him. Either way, theonly reason why this is receiving special attention is because it resulted in injury. I can guarantee that if Raja Bell's hard foul on Kobe resulted inserious or even light injury, it would have been called dirty instead of just stupid. I've done somewhat the opposite while playing pickup games, where Igot frustrated with the constant screens and pick and rolls that I ran through the screen and lowered my shoulder into the ball handler, completely throwinghim off course. I probably would have been called for a flagrant in the NBA, but hey, I did what I had to do to divert the play. Hard fouls happen all thetime, it comes with playing the game. Horry did his duty to give Ginobli an extra step, unfortunately West hurt his back. Either way, the game had alreadyprogressed to the 4th quarter, and it was unlikely that the Hornets were going to make a comeback down 21 points. Consider it an insurance play.

The Hornets unraveling when it's not coming easy for them
That's my issue with them. CP3 and West are both hotheads and emotional, and when things don't go their way they become even more angryand cry a lot. It affects their game and they seem to lose focus, which has happened during the games on the road.

I don't know how people can complain about the refs when CP gets away with a lot of %*%% during the game, throwing elbows when a double team trapcomes.....yet he complains when the ref finally calls something on him.

Just play the game.

I'll just say this...
This is no different that when Chandler picked Parker....
The only difference here is West had a bad back....
Both sides should be heated at their own teamates for not calling out the screen. Regardless, Horry was going to set that screen no matter who it was, same forChandler. Neither was dirty, nor planned as some of you have noted. He was already set before West arrived as well.

Anyways, Game 7 will be INSANE, hopefully we can pull it out.

PO

^ That's the second time someone mentioned teammates not calling the screen out, and that's an excellent point. If I were West, a member of theHornets, or a Hornets fan, I would be far more angry at Peja or Chandler than I would be at Horry.

Why is there a 3 day rest until game 7?? That's ridiculous. I mean sometimes there isn't even a 3 days rest in between series, but theres one in themiddle of a series leading up to a game 7????

Why is there a 3 day rest until game 7?? That's ridiculous.
I didn't see last night's game, but my boy said he thought what Horry did was dirty.

Whatever, as long as West is good to go, the Spurs will pay.

Nothin wrong with that play.

I had to wonder though...do you really need to be down for 5 minutes when you gota bad back? West did a little acting too, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom