***Official Tattoo Thread: Inked-4-Life Vol.2***

Don’t have my torso done as I’m completing a patchwork leg sleeve. Most recently got my inner thigh close to my kneecap and shin done. Shin definitely didn’t feel pleasant

What you get done? I think thats the route I'm going (patchwork), and think I'll start with my thigh above my knee

What you get done? I think thats the route I'm going (patchwork), and think I'll start with my thigh above my knee

IMG_1774.jpeg

Portrait of my first ever pet, Pomeranian named Mario

IMG_1744.jpeg

Katana w/a butterfly and some flowers

Next spot is probably the back of my kneecap (probably will be the worst pain). After that it’s the completion of my upper thigh

Blackout work is really painful..I'm almost done blacking out my entire arm and the post tattoo healing process is the worst..The actual tattooing doesn't hurt as bad as getting your head done though..

Blackout work is really painful..I'm almost done blacking out my entire arm and the post tattoo healing process is the worst..The actual tattooing doesn't hurt as bad as getting your head done though..
What the cultural history (if any) behind blackout work? This is the aspect of tattooing I can’t say I am a fan of but feel like I don’t know enough about it. Casual fans look at this stuff as “he wants to be black” while I see tattoo artists giving the person who did MGK’s tattoo props. I know Kay Avon D did it too. I kind of just don’t get it.

What the cultural history (if any) behind blackout work? This is the aspect of tattooing I can’t say I am a fan of but feel like I don’t know enough about it. Casual fans look at this stuff as “he wants to be black” while I see tattoo artists giving the person who did MGK’s tattoo props. I know Kay Avon D did it too. I kind of just don’t get it.
Well I don’t know what the cultural history is or if there is any cultural aspect to it..I personally decided to blackout my arm because I no longer liked the tattoos that I covered up (nothing bad or anything I regret..They were just old poorly done tattoos I got in the late 90’s)..I looked into get my arm lasered and then have in the sleeve redone, but the cost was outrageous..When it’s finished I’m going to have white work done over top so it won’t just be solid black forever..

I've toyed with the idea of doing some heavy blast-over work or chunks of blackout, but I know my tendency to pick at peeling that leads to some scarring would not lend to a good end product. Definitely got an arm piece that's getting some sort of blast-over eventually though. Bad tattoo based on a stupid idea that I thought was cool 20 years ago when I was first getting tattooed.

I first remember seeing some version of it on Tim Commerford (bassist from Rage Against The Machine). Used to think his big, bold almost-blackout pieces looked killer, but not so in love with them now. The solid blackout stuff is pretty cringey and can see how some might see it as an almost black-face-type thing, but there is plenty of tattooing that I would never get, and even plenty of the tattoos I have that I would never get now. I'm not getting my eyeballs tatted either, but to each their own.

Just realized he blacked out his nipples… SHEEEEEEEESSSSSSHH that **** had to be excruciating. They would have to put me to sleep for that part, helll naahh

Well I don’t know what the cultural history is or if there is any cultural aspect to it..I personally decided to blackout my arm because I no longer liked the tattoos that I covered up (nothing bad or anything I regret..They were just old poorly done tattoos I got in the late 90’s)..I looked into get my arm lasered and then have in the sleeve redone, but the cost was outrageous..When it’s finished I’m going to have white work done over top so it won’t just be solid black forever..
Makes sense. I replied to this thread without Googling blackout tattoos and go figure, there is a Wiki page for it.

Modern blackout tattoos are influenced by traditional Polynesian tattoos and graphic art.[1] Their designs also often incorporate aspects of neo-tribal tattoos. The technique originated as an alternative method of covering up unwanted tattoos, instead of the more expensive tattoo removal. However, blackout tattoos became increasingly popular as an aesthetic choice in South Asia during the 2010s, a practice which largely derived from local tattooing techniques such as Bornean traditional tattooing. They soon spread internationally as a fashion trend, having been popularized by Singaporean tattoo artist Chester Lee whose designs got attention on Instagram after a picture of a woman with black chest and sleeve went viral in early 2016.

Welp. You guys weren’t lying. Inner bicep wasn’t fun but I finally finished my NY/Bay area theme on the upper half of my arm. Will post more pictures once it’s healed.
IMG_7044.jpeg
I'd be ****ing crying during that shading :lol: Props man. Looking forward to seeing the finished/healed work.

Anyone use numbing cream? Getting my 2nd sleeve done, pain tolerance isn’t as high anymore.

I did on my quad and hamstring. Artist actually applied it without telling me but i think he could tell i was definitely in pain after he did the lining. It worked hella well for me.

I didn’t know he applied it until he was tattooing behind the knee and i said “strange, i barely feel it,” and said “oh it’s probably the numbing cream”

I did on my quad and hamstring. Artist actually applied it without telling me but i think he could tell i was definitely in pain after he did the lining. It worked hella well for me.

I didn’t know he applied it until he was tattooing behind the knee and i said “strange, i barely feel it,” and said “oh it’s probably the numbing cream”
How long did it last?

Never used it, but I also haven't done any chest/stomach/back/neck/upper thigh, and haven't done any super marathon sessions. Try not to judge people who use it, but the pain/discomfort has always just been part of the process for me. Everyone has different tolerances and preferences.

Some of the better numbing creams last about an hour-ish. 4% Lidocaine is the max allowed over the counter, but you can get a higher % with a prescription.
As mentioned, once it wears off, the pain does feel "worse". I'd suggest that's because you went from feeling zero/minimal pain to how a tattoo usually feels, so naturally it would be worse than nothing at all.
A few things to keep in mind about those topical creams -
They do make the skin a little tougher to work on, which will cause the artist to work a little slower, subsequently the tattoo will take longer, and can sometimes cause the tattoo to heal pretty rough.

Welp. You guys weren’t lying. Inner bicep wasn’t fun but I finally finished my NY/Bay area theme on the upper half of my arm. Will post more pictures once it’s healed.
IMG_7044.jpeg
Both of my inside arms are done. I'm glad I don't ever have to go through that pain again.
Next for me is my whole front torso. I'm a little nervous cause the pain tolerance is def not the same anymore.

Back
Top Bottom