***Official Tattoo Thread: Inked-4-Life Vol.2***

^^^^^^I mean you did ask us to critique it. But I hear what you are saying. Swerve killin' them with the critiques man. Haha.....playin, playin.

How about this then. If this guy is going to do your tat, best advice form me is to have him plan it out as a sleeve. Like draw the whole damn thing as one piece rather than just little things here and there. That tattoo is bad but more so just cause of what that guy wanted on his arm. To be honest, it does look freehand. And a diamond tattoo by anyone famous is still a diamond tattoo. Also don't blend too many styles into one. Just go BIG! No little damn tattoos to fill space. Like when people say they want clouds to fill space, those clouds should have been there from the get go. But some tats can blend with older tats like Adam Levine from Maroon 5.

I feel what you're saying, and honestly I don't think I'll want a sleeve. My tattoo is going on my forearm but I don't ever see myself wanting a sleeve. I was posting that to show yall his work. Critique I can understand, but dude literally just sat here and found things wrong with what i posted.

Thanks for the advice though, i get what you mean.

Critique I can understand, but dude literally just sat here and found things wrong with what i posted.

...is that not a critique? 
laugh.gif

...is that not a critique? :lol:

There's a difference between giving a critique in order to bash or downplay someone, and doing it to be honest and cool about it.

"This is cool, this is ight, and this could've been done better" is a good critique.

"This sucks, this sucks, this sucks, and this is ******* stupid." is a way to just straight up try to bash on something.

Let's be real, famb. You don't like it. I defended it. You bashed it. That's how all of that just happened.

Whoa dude... You asked. This is a tattoo thread. They will be judged.

I understand that. And I asked for opinions. But like I said above, there's opinions / critique that someone can give in order to be helpful or cool, and then there's critique where someone will find only what's wrong and just bash on whatever it is.

No one said dude is garbage and he ****** sucks. I think you can find someone better for the common rate of $150 an hour.

Another bit of advise though. It seems from that sleeve anyways that shading is more of his thing. Hopefully your tattoo is a style like that. Just don't try and give him something he's not used to. You could be his guinea pig. Deal or not, try and get something that works for both of you. I speak from experience that tattoo regret is real regardless of where you go.

There's a difference between giving a critique in order to bash or downplay someone, and doing it to be honest and cool about it.

"This is cool, this is ight, and this could've been done better" is a good critique.

"This sucks, this sucks, this sucks, and this is ******* stupid." is a way to just straight up try to bash on something.

Let's be real, famb. You don't like it. I defended it. You bashed it. That's how all of that just happened.
No..thats not a "good critique", thats called "sugar coating".

Does he have any non freehand work you can show?

What are you getting on your forearm?

Posted some more that I found.

I'm getting a treble clef with a music staff, one of the staff lines as a heart beat, and a shatter of music notes at the end of the heartbeat line. Music notes shooting out towards my wrist. I'm a guitarist, music has always been an outlet that has saved my life multiple times.

Like I said before, he isnt terrible but...

1. Well this one is terrible. 
laugh.gif

2. Not bad, I like this one actually.

3. Looks like it has potential.

Fong is right, seems like this guy is an artist who may do good work depending what you ask him. See what he does thats good and stick to that. If you have another idea in mind that you wanna get, go to someone else.

Edit:

If thats the tat you want to get, thats super simple. Look for someone who can do good line work. If you just showed me that first pic of that sleeve, id tell you to haul *** and look for someone else. The latter 3, eh if its just that simple tattoo it could work out.

Just saying though, this guy could give you what you want, another artist can take your idea and make it 10x better.

Last edited:
Like I said before, he isnt terrible but...

1. Well this one is terrible. :lol:
2. Not bad, I like this one actually.
3. Looks like it has potential.

Fong is right, seems like this guy is an artist who may do good work depending what you ask him. See what he does thats good and stick to that. If you have another idea in mind that you wanna get, go to someone else.

:lol: I just read that the first one was only after the 1st session. He doesn't have a finished picture of it tho.

Thanks for the advice.

I still think for 150 an hour you can find better. Especially since you are an hour and a half from SF. Not a bad drive at all for a tattoo.

There's quite a few great traditional tattooers in the LA area -
Dan Smith or Shawn Topper at Captured Tattoo (usually where I work when I'm out West)
Anybody at Spotlight Tattoo
True Tattoo
The Honorable Society
Tell any of those shops I sent ya.
B

Thanks, man - Just looked at a few of your rec's online and saw a few of em before. I do like Zack Taylor's one off style and I've got an appointment, so I see what he's talkin about first (on Tues).

if any of you guys are in the bay area and looking for traditional american/sailor jerry tattoos, Henry Lewis at Skull and Sword in SF is pretty damn spectacular

haven't gotten anything done by him (as an asian american, can't say that i'd put a "traditional" american tattoo on myself) but a chick i dated in the past used to go to him exclusively. have to say, i appreciated looking at his artwork more than i appreciated looking at the person they were on.

his IG: http://instagram.com/henrylewis77

I'm Filipino man.. sooo, I kinda feel you on not putting traditional American on me.. but I've got a bunch of Filipino ink on me and I sure as hell am more American, in a lot of ways. Figured I'd give the ol' Murica a shout out in the piece for my wife.

I'm Filipino man.. sooo, I kinda feel you on not putting traditional American on me.. but I've got a bunch of Filipino ink on me and I sure as hell am more American, in a lot of ways. Figured I'd give the ol' Murica a shout out in the piece for my wife.
Im Filipino with traditional and Japanese ink on me. Not once have I thought that traditional or Japanese was "wrong" on me.

I have the stars and cross as my first tattoo though, other than tribal, what else is "Filipino" ink?

Maybe dude works fast. I think the going rate in SF is about $170 to $250. Some guys can be super slow though. At minimum I think you have to at least spend $500 for a tat but that is for the respectable shops here.

And we're in such a different time now. No one is exempt from getting specific tattoos. Mister Cartoon will go to Asia and straight give them LA style tattoos. I mean if white people can have Japanese tattoos, then anyone can. You just got to rep those tattoos properly or be about what you get. Don't something and not know what it is. Like I love Ganesh tattoos and always think they look cool but would never get it because I don't particularly believe in any god.

And I was just telling my coworker. It's so funny even in SF that the people that do Japanese tattoos all are not Japanese. Literally all of them (I am almost sure).

Im Filipino with traditional and Japanese ink on me. Not once have I thought that traditional or Japanese was "wrong" on me.

I have the stars and cross as my first tattoo though, other than tribal, what else is "Filipino" ink?

I have Alibata script and ink from Apat Na Alon... this is me.. old pic... http://www.trash-work.ru/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/revival_16.jpeg

Since then Ive gotten ink coverin half my back. I consider Alibata as Pilipino.. consider the same for any designs used by the Pilipino tribes of old.

Anyone knows someone in Chicago who can do Khmer script? Someone who can actually read the script? Been thinking about one of those

Maybe dude works fast. I think the going rate in SF is about $170 to $250. Some guys can be super slow though. At minimum I think you have to at least spend $500 for a tat but that is for the respectable shops here.

And we're in such a different time now. No one is exempt from getting specific tattoos. Mister Cartoon will go to Asia and straight give them LA style tattoos. I mean if white people can have Japanese tattoos, then anyone can. You just got to rep those tattoos properly or be about what you get. Don't something and not know what it is. Like I love Ganesh tattoos and always think they look cool but would never get it because I don't particularly believe in any god.

And I was just telling my coworker. It's so funny even in SF that the people that do Japanese tattoos all are not Japanese. Literally all of them (I am almost sure).

170 is not much more and I am sure he can find better $150 an hour artist than that.

As for getting a Ganesh tattooo, I see it as no different than getting an Athena or Odin tattoo

Last edited:
For those of you who still live at home. How do you convince parents that tattoos aren't bad? My mom thinks that tattoos are only for delinquents. :rolleyes

Back
Top Bottom