Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Thoughts on this years Golden Globe noms? Spoiler-ing in fairness of its length.

Best Motion Picture - Drama
"12 Years A Slave"
"Captain Phillips"
"Gravity"
"Philomena"
"Rush"

Best Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical
"American Hustle"
"Her"
"Inside Llewyn Davis"
"Nebraska"
"The Wolf Of Wall Street"

Best Director
Alfonso Cuaron - "Gravity"
Paul Greengrass - "Captain Phillips"
Steve McQueen - "12 Years A Slave"
Alexander Payne - "Nebraska"
David O Russell - "American Hustle"

Best Actress - Drama
Cate Blanchett - "Blue Jasmine"
Sandra Bullock - "Gravity
Judi Dench - "Philomena"
Emma Thompson - "Saving Mr Banks"
Kate Winslet - "Labor Day"

Best Actor - Drama
Chiwetel Ejiofor - "12 Years A Slave"
Idris Elba - "Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom"
Tom Hanks - "Captain Phillips"
Matthew McConaughey - "Dallas Buyers Club"
Robert Redford - "All Is Lost"

Best Actress - Comedy
Amy Adams - "American Hustle"
Julie Delpy - "Before Midnight"
Greta Gerwig - "Frances Ha"
Julia Louis-Dreyfus - "Enough Said"
Meryl Streep - "August: Osage County"

Best Actor - Comedy/Musical
Christian Bale - "American Hustle"
Bruce Dern - "Nebraska"
Leonardo DiCaprio - "The Wolf Of Wall Street"
Oscar Isaac - "Inside Llewyn Davis"
Joaquin Phoenix - "Her"

Best Supporting Actress
Sally Hawkins - "Blue Jasmine"
Jennifer Lawrence - "American Hustle"
Lupita N'yongo - "12 Years A Slave"
Julia Roberts - "August: Osage County"
June Squibb - "Nebraska"

Best Supporting Actor
Barkhad Abdi - "Captain Phillips"
Daniel Bruhl - "Rush"
Bradley Cooper - "American Hustle"
Michael Fassbender - "12 Years A Slave"
Jared Leto - "Dallas Buyers Club"

Best Screenplay
Spike Jonze - "Her"
Bob Nelson - "Nebraska"
Jeff Pope & Steve Coogan - "Philomena"
John Ridley - "12 Years A Slave"
Eric Warren Singer & David O Russell - "American Hustle"

Best Foreign Film
"Blue Is The Warmest Color"
"The Great Beauty"
"The Hunt"
"The Past"
"The Wind Rises"

Best Animated Feature
"The Croods"
"Despicable Me 2"
"Frozen"

Best Original Score - Motion Picture
Alex Ebert - "All Is Lost
Alex Heffes - "Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom"
Steven Price - "Gravity"
John Williams - "The Book Thief"
Hans Zimmer - "12 Years A Slave"

Best Original Song - Motion Picture
"Atlas" - Coldplay - "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire"
"Let It Go - Idina Menzel - "Frozen"
"Ordinary Love" - U2 - "Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom"
"Please Mr. Kennedy" - Justin Timberlake & co - "Inside Llewyn Davis"
"Sweeter Than Fiction" - Taylor Swift - "One Chance"

Best TV Series - Comedy/Musical
"Big Bang Theory"
"Brooklyn Nine Nine"
"Girls"
"Modern Family"
"Parks & Recreation"

Best Miniseries Or Motion Picture Made For Television
"American Horror Story: Coven"
"Behind The Candelabra"
"Dancing On The Edge
"Top Of The Lake"
"The White Queen"

Best TV Drama
Breaking Bad
"Downton Abbey"
"The Good Wife"
"House Of Cards"
"Masters Of Sex"

Best Actress - Drama TV Series
Julianna Marguiles - "The Good Wife"
Tatiana Maslany - "Orphan Black"
Taylor Schilling - "Orange Is The New Black"
Kerry Washington - "Scandal"
Robin Wright - "House Of Cards"

Best Actor - TV Drama
Bryan Cranston - "Breaking Bad"
Liev Schreiber - "Ray Donovan"
Michael Sheen - "Masters Of Sex"
Kevin Spacey - "House Of Cards"
James Spader - "The Blacklist"

Best Actress - MIniseries
Helena Bonham-Carter - "Burton & Taylor"
Rebecca Ferguson - "The White Queen"
Jessica Lange - "American Horror Story: Coven"
Helen Mirren - "Phil Spector"
Elisabeth Moss - "Top Of The Lake"

Best Actor - Miniseries
Matt Damon - "Behind The Candelabra"
Michael Douglas - "Behind The Candelabra"
Chiwetel Ejiofor - "Dancing On The Edge"
Idris Elba - "Luther"
Al Pacino - "Phil Spector"

Best Actress - Comedy TV Series
Zooey Deschanel - "New Girl"
Lena Dunham - "Girls"
Edie Falco - "Nurse Jackie"
Julia Louis-Dreyfus - "Veep"
Amy Poehler - "Parks & Recreation"

Best Actor - Comedy TV Series
Jason Bateman - "Arrested Development"
Don Cheadle - "House Of Lies"
Michael J Fox - "The Michael J Fox Show"
Jim Parsons - "The Big Bang Theory"
Andy Samberg - "Brooklyn Nine Nine"

Best Supporting Actor - TV
Josh Charles - "The Good Wife"
Rob Lowe - "Behind The Candelabra"
Aaron Paul - "Breaking Bad"
Corey Stoll - "House Of Cards"
Jon Voight - "Ray Donovan"

Best Supporting Actress - TV
Jacqueline Bisset - "Dancing On The Edge"
Janet McTeer - "The White Queen"
Hayden Panetierre - "Nashville"
Monica Potter - "Parenthood"
Sofia Vergara - "Modern Family"

Watched Gravity last night. It was nice visually, and I liked Clooney a lot, but honestly, the movie didn't move me much. I was a little underwhelmed after all the hype and praise. And I love Sandra, but in this film.....I dunno. I don't know, the film just didn't grab me the way I expected. I know I missed out on the Imax part of it, sure, but story wise, I just wasn't enamored with it.

Watched The Family right after, and that one had me more than Gravity did. :lol: That Diana Argon or whatever her name is is a damn cutie. And Pheifer could still get it, even loved her terrible New York accent. DeNiro tho........dude, say no once in a while brother. :lol:
Still, it was amusing, albeit not all that good. Just enough for chuckles, but nothing to write home about.

Maybe watching the two of them back to back affected me too much or something. :lol:

Sandra Bullock's character in Gravity was so damn irritating. I didn't care if she made it back or not

Sandra Bullock being nominated over the likes of Adèle Exarchopoulos (Blue is the Warmest Color) or Bérénice Bejo (The Past) is pretty ridiculous. As good as Cate Blanchett was in Blue Jasmine, nice to see Sally Hawkins being nominated for best supporting. She really held her own. Also, nice to see that Rush has been recognized as best film, but unfortunate Ron Howard wasn't given the nod for best director.

All in all, nothing surprising.

Finally downloaded a workprint of Blue is the Warmest Color. After 2 theater viewings and 1 home viewing, it's still holding its' own.

BTW CP, did you watch Gravity at home? I'm not exactly a proponent of 3D and IMAX, but it's one of the few films that I would highly recommend watching in that format. I'm probably never going to see it again on a conventional screen or on a TV because 90% of the experience was because of the IMAX 3D. Take that away and all you have is a mediocre short story.

So I saw Catching Fire yesterday night, a little buzzed, for the second time, and it was great. I always make sure to watch films I anticipate twice before I determine how I feel about it. 

1. The actors are all great in their roles. The standouts for me are of course Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, Stanley Tucci as Caesar, and whoever plays Effie

2.The visuals easily beats that of the first film. The moment in the first film in which Jennifer Lawrence's dress is supposed to catch fire looked incredibly cheesy. In this film, they have her do something similar, but looks 10 times better.

3. The actual Hunger Game section of it was also better than the first. The director for the first film used a shaky cam technique, most likely because they didn't want to show scenes of kids being killed, and it really was hard to capture what was going on. In this film, the director abandons that, and gives us great action sequences.

4. The film is 2 hrs and 30 minutes long, but it really doesn't feel that long due everything that's going on. It held my interest throughout the entire movie.

5. If there is one thing I didn't enjoy, it was the implication of Katniss actually falling for Peeta.  In the books, it feels more understandable because the events take place from her point of view, and we know whats going on in her head, but in the film,  it just doesn't feel real. I understand that she doesn't want the kid to die, but I don't see any reason on why she should like him instead of Gale, who she has known her whole life.

6. Although, I don't remember it fully, the movie pretty much remains faithful to the book.

With all that being said, it was a great film, even better after watching it the second time. However, due to the fact that the books take place in her point of view, and most of the things going on are in her head, a lot of things are left out which means that the films can never be good enough for me compared to the books. Based on that, I'd give it a 4 / 5

Sandra Bullock being nominated over the likes of Adèle Exarchopoulos (Blue is the Warmest Color) or Bérénice Bejo (The Past) is pretty ridiculous. As good as Cate Blanchett was in Blue Jasmine, nice to see Sally Hawkins being nominated for best supporting. She really held her own. Also, nice to see that Rush has been recognized as best film, but unfortunate Ron Howard wasn't given the nod for best director.

If Lupita N'yongo doesn't win a GG and Oscar for Best Supporting :smh: .

I've been wanting to see Rush (all because it's a Howard film). Shame both him and Scorsese didn't get nods (considering the hype Wolf is receiving).

Last edited:

If Lupita N'yongo doesn't win a GG and Oscar for Best Supporting :smh: .

I've been wanting to see Rush (all because it's a Howard film). Shame both him and Scorsese didn't get nods (considering the hype Wolf is receiving).

Rush was dope. One of the best I've seen this year

been wanting to watch it. have gotten mixed reviews. are there many lulz.
No
ohwell.gif
minus whale wait for it to come out on cable.

You guys are insane...it's Sandra Bullock's best performance of her career

The dialogue in the movie was borderline terrible. Jonas Cuaron needs to chill. I was able to look past because at least the emotion behind the words was genuine and I was too absorbed in the movie to care. But a lot of my friends weren't and hated it.

Man..... Saw Into The Wild pop up on Netflix last night. One of my favorite movies, hadn't seen it in a while. Been watching a lot of comedy TV and knew the emotions that movie would invoke so was hesitant to watch. Watched any way. Brought some tears out I'm not gonna lie. That movie really resonates with me for some reason.

BTW CP, did you watch Gravity at home? I'm not exactly a proponent of 3D and IMAX, but it's one of the few films that I would highly recommend watching in that format

Yeah I did. I knew I'd be missing a lil something from it because of that, but I'm not an Imax-3D guy. I fully recognize that the movie is better that way, and I tried not to knock it for how I viewed it, but like you said, outside the visuals, there wasn't much left. I honestly was bothered by some of the stuff they pulled, like Clooney simply dipping out and like "aight, try to get back to Earth doctor, with your 6 months of training pod lessons and yet, I want you to fly a Russian pod over to a Chinese pod and then land, only, you only push buttons in there cuz you can't read any of the languages." :lol: :smh:

I think that's why my favorite part of the movie was when he came in and found the vodka and "helped" her out. I liked that scene very much, the rest, meh.

That's so unnecessary. And I wouldn't let Ed helms carry a movie franchise.

Finally some good movies that I'm interested in are coming out. I just watched catch me if you can again. Solid movie. Not one of his best. I've realized that Scorsese simply isn't as good at making non violent movies. But the wall street trailer has me hyped. I feel like I've been to that diner, it looks like a queens one but it flips so fast i can't get a g
Good look

Consign with Ed norton in primar fear if you want a great acting performance.

Considering that the teaser is 99% archival footage, I'm surprised at how much more hyped I am after seeing it.

I'm not going to sit here and say the Nolan's owe me after the debacle that was TDKR, but.. they really do. :frown:

Back
Top Bottom