Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Treme is the best show ever that no one watches. It's so richly layered, superbly written & acted, & the music is stellar. David Simon & Eric Overmyer are the only people that were ever able to successfully start, sustain, & finish a TV series be it Homicide Life On The Street, The Corner, The Wire, & now Treme... Very sad next week will conclude Treme... No one has ever done better than Simon & Overmyer IMO...

Just finished Her starring Joaquin Phoenix:

I really wish the Academy and Joaquin Phoenix would settle their beef. It's a shame they won't acknowledge him...his performance in The Master last year was Oscar worthy, and his performance in Her certainly deserves a nomination at the very least. The film is brutal, raw and emotionally draining. His relationship with Scarlett Johansson's Samantha, an Operating System, is so romantic yet heartbreaking. Johansson's presence is so profound throughout the film yet we never see her, obviously. But it's something you need to watch to understand. Great film, Spike Jonze has outdone himself. Go see it ASAP 8.5/10

7 Psychopaths was great.

Didn't expect the ending for the Buddhist psychopath to be so poignant. Rockwell and Walken were stellar.

Just finished Her starring Joaquin Phoenix:

I really wish the Academy and Joaquin Phoenix would settle their beef. It's a shame they won't acknowledge him...his performance in The Master last year was Oscar worthy, and his performance in Her certainly deserves a nomination at the very least. The film is brutal, raw and emotionally draining. His relationship with Scarlett Johansson's Samantha, an Operating System, is so romantic yet heartbreaking. Johansson's presence is so profound throughout the film yet we never see her, obviously. But it's something you need to watch to understand. Great film, Spike Jonze has outdone himself. Go see it ASAP 8.5/10

No theater is playing it around me tho 0]
Is it on the same level of Being John Malkovich?

Got some free time.. About to watch..

"We're the Millers"
"2 Guns"
My wife & I liked We're The Millers. It was 100 times better than The Heat & This Is The End.

CP might blow a gasket, but still haven't seen Fast 6 which I will this week & will watch Wolverine but deathly afraid I'm going to be severely disappointed. Wolverine & the Japanese storyline is holy canon for me... Someone please tell me it's ok... :roll eyes

Also going to watch 2 Guns at some point too...
Its actually pretty good.  Yukio is in it, Lady Viper...its WAY better than the first movie

I'm in the theater watching American Hustle. Cooper and Bale are GREAT so far but Amy Adams is ******g killing me. This role is too big for her.

For me, every X-Men movie has been absolutely terrible. Just mind blowing terrible. They all looked dated & hokey already. Some of the casting is stellar but a majority of the casting was just so atrocious.

First Class was serviceable but it still had corny feel to it. January Jones as Frost was terribly cast IMO & so was Kevin Bacon as Shaw. I love Bacon as an actor, but he just didn't fit that role to me. I did like Fassbender & McAvoy.

I'll watch Wolverine sometime this week & post my thoughts...

Elysium is good but not that consistent. The class separation is well-established, and there's always a sense of urgency. They create a beautiful mythology, but it's not perfect. One minute the threat to our protagonist seems truly unbreakable, and the next they're child's play.

All the performances are fine for a popcorn flick, and the guy from District 9 is awesome. That said, I enjoyed District 9 much more.

Can someone give me a spoiler free review of Elysium?

Remember Contact?

Well she got her revenge

Elysium is good but not that consistent. The class separation is well-established, and there's always a sense of urgency. They create a beautiful mythology, but it's not perfect. One minute the threat to our protagonist seems truly unbreakable, and the next they're child's play.

All the performances are fine for a popcorn flick, and the guy from District 9 is awesome. That said, I enjoyed District 9 much more.
Yeah District 9 was epic, a truly underappreciated film.

I like to write, and I love comic books, so the creation of mythology is always something that I like to look for, since I believe that the comic book, as well as popular serialized characters (**** Tracy, James Bond, Superman, Spiderman, Batman) is our modern mythology

Thanks for the review, repped.

Can someone give me a spoiler free review of Elysium?

Remember Contact?

Well she got her revenge
I'll toss them cakes every day of the month

The Most Overlooked Movies 2013

Another list but here a few movies from the list I plan to watch 

Mr. Nobody  (Jaco Van Dormael)

mr_nobody1.jpg

Theatrical Domestic Box Office: $3,622

Led by a likely future Oscar winner (Jared Leto), sadly, it’s hardly surprising that this ambitious sci-fi drama barely made a blip in the U.S. marketplace. Premiering at TIFF and Venice four years ago, Mr. Nobody  has toured the world at this point, already released on Blu-ray and DVD in many territories, so with a virtually nonexistent marketing push, it’s destiny was doomed. Following Nemo Nobody, the last mortal in a world of immortals in 2092, it’s an entertaining, emotional ride that is better than just about any sci-fi release this year. – Jordan R.

Like Someone In Love  (Abbas Kiarostami)

like_someone.jpg

Theatrical Domestic Box Office: $222,695

Though a bit brushed aside for having opened in a rather limited capacity this past February, Abbas Kiarostami‘s most recent picture nevertheless earns a distinct place among one of modern cinema’s greatest filmographies. This isn’t to suggest it’s quite  as strong as, say, Certified Copy, but Like Someone in Love, for whatever it may or may not ultimately say, is all the more appreciable for reworking familiar themes and staples (extended car-set sequences included) into a new culture and geographic space. Try as you might, the hugely alienating experience — down to the single strangest ending I’ve encountered in 2013 — just can’t be shaken off. – Nick N.

A Touch of Sin  (Jia Zhangke)

a_touch_of_sin.jpg

Theatrical Domestic Box Office: $101,119

It has been five years since the release of Jia Zhangke’s last feature-length fiction film, 24 City— by far the longest gap between such features in his career. The helmer’s latest, A Touch of Sin, is cleanly divided into four sections: each is about half an hour, and each contains more action in its own span than most other films do in their entirety. Indeed, the first scene sees a man thwart a gang’s attempt to mug him with a swift draw and accurate gunshots, rather cleanly setting the stage for what’s to come. A Touch of Sin is an action film by Jia’s standards, but the wuxia conventions are alive and well from beginning to end (the title itself is a reference to the genre classic A Touch of Zen), and that, alone, makes this departure about as sharp as the one Wong Kar-wai  took with The Grandmaster earlier this year. – Forrest C.

Yeah District 9 was epic, a truly underappreciated film.

I like to write, and I love comic books, so the creation of mythology is always something that I like to look for, since I believe that the comic book, as well as popular serialized characters (**** Tracy, James Bond, Superman, Spiderman, Batman) is our modern mythology

Thanks for the review, repped.

I'll toss them cakes every day of the month

fam lmao

she starting to look like the guy that plays the bad federal agent in every movie

The Most Overlooked Movies 2013

Another list but here a few movies from the list I plan to watch 

Mr. Nobody (Jaco Van Dormael)

mr_nobody1.jpg

Theatrical Domestic Box Office: $3,622

Led by a likely future Oscar winner (Jared Leto), sadly, it’s hardly surprising that this ambitious sci-fi drama barely made a blip in the U.S. marketplace. Premiering at TIFF and Venice four years ago, Mr. Nobody has toured the world at this point, already released on Blu-ray and DVD in many territories, so with a virtually nonexistent marketing push, it’s destiny was doomed. Following Nemo Nobody, the last mortal in a world of immortals in 2092, it’s an entertaining, emotional ride that is better than just about any sci-fi release this year. – Jordan R.

Like Someone In Love (Abbas Kiarostami)

like_someone.jpg

Theatrical Domestic Box Office: $222,695

Though a bit brushed aside for having opened in a rather limited capacity this past February, Abbas Kiarostami‘s most recent picture nevertheless earns a distinct place among one of modern cinema’s greatest filmographies. This isn’t to suggest it’s quite as strong as, say, Certified Copy, but Like Someone in Love, for whatever it may or may not ultimately say, is all the more appreciable for reworking familiar themes and staples (extended car-set sequences included) into a new culture and geographic space. Try as you might, the hugely alienating experience — down to the single strangest ending I’ve encountered in 2013 — just can’t be shaken off. – Nick N.

A Touch of Sin (Jia Zhangke)

a_touch_of_sin.jpg

Theatrical Domestic Box Office: $101,119

It has been five years since the release of Jia Zhangke’s last feature-length fiction film, 24 City— by far the longest gap between such features in his career. The helmer’s latest, A Touch of Sin, is cleanly divided into four sections: each is about half an hour, and each contains more action in its own span than most other films do in their entirety. Indeed, the first scene sees a man thwart a gang’s attempt to mug him with a swift draw and accurate gunshots, rather cleanly setting the stage for what’s to come. A Touch of Sin is an action film by Jia’s standards, but the wuxia conventions are alive and well from beginning to end (the title itself is a reference to the genre classic A Touch of Zen), and that, alone, makes this departure about as sharp as the one Wong Kar-wai took with The Grandmaster earlier this year. – Forrest C.

I couldn't get into Like Somebody in Love at all. It was infuriatingly slow paced and the ending was just....well you'll see. The main chick is cute though :wow: I think she was a former power ranger :lol:

I couldn't get into Like Somebody in Love at all. It was infuriatingly slow paced and the ending was just....well you'll see. The main chick is cute though
embarassed.gif
I think she was a former power ranger
laugh.gif
Kind making me want to pass on the movie. May wait for a rainy day to check Like Somebody in Love.

American Hustle was okay. Bale and Cooper were great. The story was great but I don't think it was executed properly. It was bland and boring at times. I enjoyed the surprise cameos though. Probably won't watch it again.

Elysium was a waste of a movie. That movie had so much potential. My guy from District 9 was the only highlight of that film. Sharlito Copley or something like that his name is.

I couldn't get into Like Somebody in Love at all. It was infuriatingly slow paced and the ending was just....well you'll see. The main chick is cute though
embarassed.gif
I think she was a former power ranger
laugh.gif
I can't believe someone else on here saw that movie
laugh.gif
. I actually ended up really liking it, but I think I deal with slow movies better than most people, so I can't in good conscience recommend it to anyone on here. You've seen Certified Copy from the same director?

Anyone else seen Drug War, it's on Netflix now. Recommended to those who are into HK thrillers, plenty of tense sequences with few action setpieces, but they sure as **** made them count. Surprisingly grim, too.

Back
Top Bottom