Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Happy new year ya'll!!! Hope everyone has a great 2014!

Big Trouble In Little China is on Encore man!!!! Jyeah!!!

two girls with green eyes?

Then Encore follows up Big Trouble with Platoon... That network just took a couple of hours from the New Years Day...

Just got floated a copy of this at my in laws today... Will be watching later this week... I love a good doc, especially about history that doesn't get told accurately.

Clip from the doc...

Last edited:
FINALLY got around to seeing Fruitvale.

Just like Llewyn Davis, it totally held up under the weight of my lofty expectations.

Octavia Spencer and Michael were incredible. That kid has charisma exuding from his ******* pores, man. It was my takeaway from his supporting role in Chronicle, and that was when I knew what was coming for him. He is going to take over every scene he is ever in with that kind of ability. If he isn't the next big thing, there are only two reasons why: choosing poor roles, or because he's black. Plain and simple.

Everything felt organic in that kind of raw, realistic sense that most of you guys know I live for when it comes to movies. It could have done without the dog scene that Ryan Coogler admittedly creatively included, but even that felt plausible as his personality began to unfold. It all played so well, emotionally, and flowed just as nicely. Really, it was an excellent character study. The tragic injustice was almost secondary behind that, but once you get to those last 15 minutes, there's almost no way that you won't start to see red.

I thought the inclusion of the actual footage right out of the gate was paramount. I read after that Coogler was originally dead set against not using anything from the viral videos, but he ultimately felt like it was his responsibility to present to the world who may not be familiar with the case. I loved that he used it first, rather than at the end. Very powerful.

I still have a ton to see, but as of right now, Fruitvale and Llewyn Davis are the two best films I have seen from 2013.

Speaking of Michael, how about this? He, Christoph Waltz, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Casey Affleck in a movie called Triple Nine slated for 2015. :wow:
A group of gang members and a corrupt cop plan the murder of a police officer in order to pull off their biggest heist yet across town.
The writer (Matt Cook) has essentially nothing to his name, but the director is Lawless' John Hillcoat. If there's one thing everyone can agree on about Lawless, it is that it was one beautifully-shot film.

Really excited for that.

Last edited:
Watched Lone Survivor last night. Really enjoyed it; thought there were some amazing shots/scenes (a job well done by Peter Berg and the involvement of the real Marcus Luttrell).

However, my girl read the book (which I plan on doing as well), and she said it's better and that the movie left out/changed up some happenings. I kind of expected that, but was hoping the film would be all-the-way true to the book.

Still a recommended watch, solid film and makes you realize that because that all actually went down, that vet appreciation might be just underwhelming even at the high rate that we show it.

Going to see Anchorman 2 tomorrow and Lone Survivor next week. Almost done with the book which is highly recommended.

Kevin, I couldn't have described Fruitvale any better.

And I am just as excited for MBJ's promising career. I knew he was good in the Wire, but to be honest the moment it hit me that this kid is special was seeing his performance in Friday Night Lights the show. He played Vince so incredible charismatic and passionate I thought it would be the biggest injustice if that kind of talent didn't get a shot at bigger roles.

So happy to see him get recognition.

So happy to hear about that Triple Nine role, wow what a cast :wow:

Is that confirmed? Or just rumored?

saw lone survivor last night and really enjoyed it.

whenever i finish a movie i usually scour the internet for discussion or reviews on it.

then i ran into the following post from reddit...

I hate to be the one to say it. But Lone Survivor is a very flawed piece of work that borderlines on propaganda. Be aware that Marcus Luttrell DID NOT WRITE THE BOOK. It was written while he was in Iraq. The half covering BUD/S is damn near lifted from **** Couch's "The Warrior Elite" because Luttrell was mentioned a couple of times in it. Concerning events that took place in Afghanistan on the eastern slopes of the Korengal, the author no-**** wrote based on his memory of the interviews he did with Luttrell, many of which were not recorded and even lacked basic note taking.
The men who died on this day in 2005 should be honored by learning from mistakes made, not from fictional accounts of a modern "300". The SEALs had nothing but hand drawn maps, lacked proper comm, and were inserted within a mile of a town known to have a Taliban cell of about 40 fighters in a damn Chinook. The helicopter crew dumped the fast rope at the LZ, which doomed the QRF force who attempted to land there.
Now I have nothing but respect for those who gave their lives, when Luttrell's SR team hit the ground they were already doomed. The same with the QRF force, they had no way of knowing just how bad the mission had been blown. Many look at Lone Survivor as a war story where the SEALs go down fighting an entire company of Taliban fighters. That is not what Luttrell's AAR nor Lt Murphy's citation reflect though. I have always held the belief that honoring our dead means being truthful about how they died. Again, Luttrell's SR team fought like hell, but making them seem like they were Spartans who held off the entire Persian army is in my eyes disrespectful.
Already the glaring ********:
SEALs were not there on a kill mission, they were there only to confirm the presence of an HVT.
The SEALs elected to not bring proper comms
The SEALs didn't even have proper maps, only hand-drawn ones and had never before operated in the Korengal.
The SEALs were told to hump into their OP/LP, instead they inserted not even a mile from their objective in ******g Chinooks, they may as well have knocked on Ahmed Shah's door and introduced themselves. And the myth that continues to be perpetuated is the 200 on 4 gunfight, it never ******g happened, Marcus Luttrell never said 200 in his AAR, Lt Michael Murphy's MoH citation never read 200, only the piece of propaganda called "Lone Survivor" read "200 taliban". In fact Luttrell's AAR and Murphy's citation both read "35-40 Taliban"

:\

Can't bring myself to watch fast 6 :frown:

It hurts dude, but ya gotta do it. Five and Six are the only two we have with all the main players involved. 7 will be "incomplete" now no matter what movie magic they pull.

I watched it a couple weeks back, and tho it was hard, it was good to see the finished product they had put together after Fast Five.

International trailer for Anton Corbijn's A Most Wanted Man starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Rachel McAdams, Robin Wright, Willem Dafoe, & Daniel Bruhl. Corbijn;s movies have been "meh" but this is John Le Carre novel (The Russia House, The Tailor of Panama, The Constant Gardener, & Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) so I'm intrigued by this & the fact that Hoffman is in it. Not sure I'm feeling his German accent though (definitely not feeling Dafoe's).

Speaking of Michael, how about this? He, Christoph Waltz, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Casey Affleck in a movie called Triple Nine slated for 2015. :wow:
The writer (Matt Cook) has essentially nothing to his name, but the director is Lawless' John Hillcoat. If there's one thing everyone can agree on about Lawless, it is that it was one beautifully-shot film.

Really excited for that.

there has been some behind the scenes production/script/typical hollywood issue with the film but glad it's finally being made with a great cast. Definitely one of the films to remember amongst all the superhero films for 2015

Did anyone post this before? The Hollywood Reporter's roundtable with directors Steve McQueen, Paul Greengrass, David Russell, Ben Stiller, Alfonso Cuaron, & Lee Daniels.

Have any of you see the Pope of Greenwich Village? One of my favorite movies that doesn't get spoken about much anymore. Love this scene with Eric Roberts mostly because of the random American Dad episode that Roger quotes this movie in.

International trailer for Anton Corbijn's A Most Wanted Man starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Rachel McAdams, Robin Wright, Willem Dafoe, & Daniel Bruhl. Corbijn;s movies have been "meh" but this is John Le Carre novel (The Russia House, The Tailor of Panama, The Constant Gardener, & Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) so I'm intrigued by this & the fact that Hoffman is in it. Not sure I'm feeling his German accent though (definitely not feeling Dafoe's).

That looks very good but I'd rather have it be a total foreign movie. Don't like when they speak English in movies like this

Alien will always be better than aliens. ALWAYS

Johnny I been wanting to see pope for so long. Will watch when I get a moment

Last edited:
the way way back was terrible... completely let down...
I was about to reply and start talking about The Way Back thinking either I misremembered the title or you got it wrong and not even mention it as I go in about why I liked the movie :lol:

12 Years a Slave is a tough film to stomach, poignantly directed by Steve McQueen with a triumphant performance from Chiwetel Ejiofor. The cinematography in the film is some of the best of the year. That being said, it doesn't crack my top 10 list, and I enjoyed Hanks, Bale, DiCaprio and Phoenix's leading performances over Ejiofor's. I think Ejiofor deserves and will get nominated for an Oscar, but in my eyes he should not win over DiCaprio or Hanks.

Michael Fassbender plays a great villain and I really enjoyed the small roles from Paul Dano and Chris Chalk.

It's not easy playing these roles, with the language necessary to depict the proper time and setting, no matter how good of an "actor" you are. It's simply not easy and everyone should be commended, especially McQueen who continues to churn out great film after great film, tackling tough subject matters and pushing cinema to new heights.

Last edited:
Lone Survivor was great! I see there's a documentary on Michael Murphy too, going to have to check that out

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom