Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

For someone just trying to watch the Godfather now, I wonder if the best way to go would be with one of the chronological versions, that starts with young Vito in Sicily. Since 2 is a little faster paced, I wonder if it might be easier for someone to get into that way ... assuming they could handle the sub-titles in the beginning.

Do the majority of people hate reading subtitles? My only problem is when characters talk fast and the subtitles keep changing before I can finish reading some. Happens when I watch some Asian movies on netflix and have to rewind a few times.

IMDb ‏@IMDb 1h
Actor and Oscar-winning director Richard Attenborough has died at age 90. http://imdb.to/1vcESHR #RIP

I'll always remember him best as the old guy from Jurassic Park, but he had quite a career, including directing Ghandi.

RIP.

Do the majority of people hate reading subtitles? My only problem is when characters talk fast and the subtitles keep changing before I can finish reading some. Happens when I watch some Asian movies on netflix and have to rewind a few times.

When it comes to movies, subs are pretty much your only option.

I watch a lot of anime, so it's fine.

That being said, I prefer subs to dubs.

I'm coo with it. I usually watch English movies with subs anyway.

Last edited:
When it comes to movies, subs are pretty much your only option.

I watch a lot of anime, so it's fine.

That being said, I prefer subs to dubs.

I'm coo with it. I usually watch English movies with subs anyway.

Yeah, I don't mind them either. I'd way rather read subtitles than watch a dubbed movie. That just looks and sounds ridiculous, IMO. If a film is good in all other respects, I honestly don't even think about the subtitles -- unless there's some tangible, visual problem with them, like they're too small, too light, etc. As long as I can see them clearly, no problem.

I usually watch all movies with subtitles.

I don't know if it's my tv but whispers sound just like whispers and I can't hear important **** lol.

Quite late... but I finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy... absolutely loved it.

I'll have to watch it again and think it over, but I'm feeling like it might be my favorite Marvel Studios movie so far. I knew it was going to have a more comedic tone, but I didn't expect them to still hit the dramatic moments as well. They did both and managed to subvert your expectations.. have a comedic moment and follows it up immediately with an awesome action sequence... or one of the "epic" hero moments then throw in a joke right at the end. Great soundtrack, awesome CGI and special effects, and Chris Pratt was able to deliver as the action lead in his own unique way. It was funny, great action sequences, did a good job at building a whole new universe/world for the audience, and hit the dramatic beats too.

Cap 2, Iron Man, Avengers were in my top 3, but Guardians could easily be my favorite.

Last edited:

I usually watch all movies with subtitles.

I don't know if it's my tv but whispers sound just like whispers and I can't hear important **** lol.

this and then all explosions sound like they're happening right next to you.

I'm about that sub life. I've been watching foreign stuff with subs since I was a kid so I'm used to it.

Yeah way better than hearing dubbed voices in foreign movies. I also like to hear the actors' real voices.

I watch as many foreign movies as I do those in English & prefer subtitles rather than dubbed English. In fact I won't watch a movie dubbed in Englsih unless it's an old martial arts flick...

Watching foreign films for so many years, reading subtitles isn't that being a big deal.

BUT, what I hate are shows where the subtitles are shown before the performers deliver their lines. I sometimes do this on shows where I can't really understand a certain characters' speech and when it happens it's so annoying.

You read like Mayweather?

ClosedCaption is the life.
Nobody watches tele or movies with me because if it's my tele, you're getting CC, subtitles period.

I'll have to watch it again and think it over, but I'm feeling like it might be my favorite Marvel Studios movie so far. I knew it was going to have a more comedic tone, but I didn't expect them to still hit the dramatic moments as well. They did both and managed to subvert your expectations.. have a comedic moment and follows it up immediately with an awesome action sequence... or one of the "epic" hero moments then throw in a joke right at the end. Great soundtrack, awesome CGI and special effects, and Chris Pratt was able to deliver as the action lead in his own unique way. It was funny, great action sequences, did a good job at building a whole new universe/world for the audience, and hit the dramatic beats too.

Cap 2, Iron Man, Avengers were in my top 3, but Guardians could easily be my favorite.

Cap 2 huh? Bold statement.

If I had to name a top 3, I'd say Iron Man, Avengers, and maybe Thor or Thor 2 before this movie. Avengers was my favorite. And I agree, Guardians is now atop that list for me.

A lot of eggs in their basket next year though. Avengers 2 will be a hit. I expect Ant-Man to be the least successful both critically and commercially of all the Marvel Studios pictures, and that leaves Avengers 2 to be their lone pony next year.

Cap 2 huh? Bold statement.

If I had to name a top 3, I'd say Iron Man, Avengers, and maybe Thor or Thor 2 before this movie. Avengers was my favorite. And I agree, Guardians is now atop that list for me.

A lot of eggs in their basket next year though. Avengers 2 will be a hit. I expect Ant-Man to be the least successful both critically and commercially of all the Marvel Studios pictures, and that leaves Avengers 2 to be their lone pony next year.

Before GOTG Cap 2 was definitely in my top 3 with IM and Avengers. I have to watch both again before deciding but they absolutely nailed Cap 2

I wouldn't say it's that bold... Cap 2 was one of the best rated MCU films.

I was never that blown away by either Thor. I like Hiddleston, but I'm not as in love with Loki as everyone else.. so that'll affect how much I like the Thor movies. If the first one is on TV, it's not as must watch for me.. and I don't see myself saying "I need to watch this movie again" like I would with Iron Man, Avengers, or how I felt immediately after seeing Cap 2 and GoTG. And I need to watch the 2nd one again, but it wasn't keeping my attention on the first viewing.

I've never seen any of the Godfather films either.

My Grandfather is 100% Italian and I think all 3 GF movies are boring as ****.

I LOVE gangster/mafioso movies and I can't get into them at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never seen any of the Godfather films either.

My Grandfather is 100% Italian and I think all 3 GF movies are boring as ****.

I LOVE gangster/mafioso movies and I can't get into them at all.

I've never tried to re-watch as an adult either. Remember hating them as a kid when the parents would watch them. As soon as they came on it was time to go play two-below in the street.

Just watched the color of money.. Wasn't a fan
That's crazy, you might be the only person I've ever heard say that. Color Of Money and The Hustler are two of my favorite movies to watch. Paul Newman was the ******* man.
I'm a big paul newman fan.. and an even bigger Scorsese fan.. movie just didn't do it for me..

and I kept wanitng to see it for all those reasons stated above.. maybe I need to watch again

Back
Top Bottom