Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

how many N bombs would be dropped in a QT black panther movie? 

It's uncomfortable how all of his movies, like the entire collection aside from maybe Kill Bill, have some line or character that is demeaning to people who are black.

Great doc called Freeway: Crack in the System directed by Marc Levin, which tells the story of “Freeway” Rick Ross who created the US' first crack empire with the help of the CIA & the Nicaraguan Contra fighters & drug cartels.

Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Gary Webb first shed light on Ross, the US government, CIA, & Nicaraguan Contra fighters & drug cartels with his Dark Alliance newspaper series back in the day but the major media like the NY Times, Washington Post, & the LA Times started to discredit Webb & his story which led to everyone abandoning Webb & him being pushed out of journalism...

Below is a movie that just came out with Renner playing Webb. I'm going to try & catch it this weekend on VOD...

Let Tarantino direct a punisher or daredevil movie.. Hell give him ghost rider
Uh no. QT's style is all about being over the top. Over the top camp, dialogue, and violence. What bout that makes you think he would be a good choice for punisher or daredevil? It sounds disastrous tbh
both characters are violent.. just watch django unchained and kill bill.. the main characters themselves don't have over the top dialogue, it's the stuff around them

so imagine him using the villians that way (kingpin.. or jigsaw)

how many N bombs would be dropped in a QT black panther movie? 

It's uncomfortable how all of his movies, like the entire collection aside from maybe Kill Bill, have some line or character that is demeaning to people who are black.
If you see it a certain way sure.

I feel like that sentiment only started when ppl started giving him **** for Django. I can't really say there were lines or characters that were demeaning to black ppl in Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs if I remember right. Although I'm not counting lines from characters that were obviously meant to be racist.

Last edited:

I feel like that sentiment only started when ppl started giving him **** for Django. I can't really say there were lines or characters that were demeaning to black ppl in Pulp Fiction or Resevoir Dogs if I remember right. Although I'm not counting lines from characters that were obviously meant to be racist.

So that means you're not counting QT himself as Jimmy in Pulp and the whole "dead n storage" thing?

As a Star Wars fan, one thing that gets really tiring is hearing people bash the Prequel Trilogy. It’s one thing to not like something, but the haters aren’t content having kicked the horse to death, they like to drag that corpse into any Star Wars interaction that they have. It’s beyond old, and to someone who actually enjoys the Prequels, it becomes borderline offensive. Sure, they aren’t perfect films, but what films are? There’s still a lot of entertainment value to be had in the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy, if one drops their cynicism.

If it isn’t clear, I like the Prequels, and as such, I enjoy blogs, articles, and podcasts that aim to strengthen those films’ defense against the haters. I happened upon another such project via Twitter last night and wanted to share it.

The Prequels Strike Back is a documentary that is currently crowdfunding via IndieGogo. It’s being produced by a group of filmmakers out of Austin, Texas with the aim of challenging the mantra “the Prequels suck.” They look to be employing Mike Klimo’s Star Wars Ring Theory, as well as talking to fans of the Prequels to get their perspectives (it’d be great if they could get some of the celebrity fans to appear in the documentary).

As of this writing, they’re at a little over $600 of their needed $3500 goal to produce the short documentary, with a $5000 stretch goal to turn it into a web series and a $7500 goal to turn it into a feature length documentary. Personally, I’d love to see a feature length documentary defending the Prequels, so I’m without a doubt planning on donating before their campaign is up. But enough rambling from me. Take a look at their video and decide for yourself if you want to support it:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

They can hear me now. :pimp:

Put me in this film mother ******* :lol:

dead n storage is the reason people feel that way about QT and i gotta agree its a little peculiar that he uses such graphic language at times

I feel like that sentiment only started when ppl started giving him **** for Django. I can't really say there were lines or characters that were demeaning to black ppl in Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs if I remember right. Although I'm not counting lines from characters that were obviously meant to be racist.

So that means you're not counting QT himself as Jimmy in Pulp and the whole "dead n storage" thing?
It's not like I'm making him an exception. The character had some racist tendencies and said some racist things. To say that was meant to demean black ppl is kinda ignoring the context of the movie and how QT wrote the dialogue. If the character says some racist **** that's just another thing revealed to the viewer that they now know about the character. Jimmy was pretty racist.

On the flip though, I will say let that have been Eddie Murphy or some other black actor saying those lines, hell let it have been Sam, it'd just be another funny line ppl laughed at.

I'm not going out of my way to say QT made sure to have some character or line that demeaned black ppl in some way in all of his movies. If you account for the time period and how the conversation flows it's just another part of the movie. Jimmy is in an absurd situation. There's a dead guy in a car in his garage. He seems pretty out of the game, he's married and knows his wife will lose her **** over something like that. Given how Jules is when he gets mad it aint all that questionable for Jimmy to come back at him given the wild **** he's brought to his house.

Last edited:
I’ve asked questions about Tarantino’s dialogue before, and asked basically, how/why is he able to get away with that kind of language in his films. (True Romance also has a scene with questionable reasoning for such language)

The answers that I was basically given is QT tries to write the dialogue as realistic as possible. The breakfast scene that opens Reservoir Dogs. Madonna song meanings, don’t tip, etc. A group of people sitting there having a conversation, that just happens to be being filmed. As real as possible. The way Sam L and Travolta talk about Royale with cheese and all that, foot massages, just conversation, between two hitmen on their way to a job, but filmed. As “real” as he can make it seem.
The language he uses, follows that. Good, bad, or otherwise, there are people who talk like that. He tries to convey that, no matter how uncomfortable it is for everyone, it’s how some people talk(ed) in those timeframes.

I myself had always wondered, why the hell Sam L not take his damn head off? Why Ving Rhames not body slam dude when he read the script? I was told, they understood that’s the world/reality they face and deal with in real life, and he was bringing that on screen.

I don’t know if that’s right, or if I interpreted it the wrong way with how it was explained to me. But I can see that in Tarantino, his attention to detail, the fact he is a very well-traveled man of the world, he’s seen/heard A LOT of stuff that I will never, ever see or hear. :lol: So in his dealings, I assume he probably has heard/seen some stuff that someone like me would not understand, and he presents that, uncensored, on the big screen.

Least, to me, that makes more sense than him just saying whatever the hell he wants in his scripts all these years and nobody has ever checked him. :lol:

doesn't Jimmy have a black wife? i wonder how that plays into the character analysis of Jimmy and that particular line.

I think Tarantino just wanted to be funny and clever in Pulp Fiction and wrote himself that dead N storage line. 

I don't dislike him over it, but that's what I think it is. He just wanted to say that line because he thought it was funny/cool/edgy/whatever. 

I think Tarantino just wanted to be funny and clever in Pulp Fiction and wrote himself that dead N storage line. 

I don't dislike him over it, but that's what I think it is. He just wanted to say that line because he thought it was funny/cool/edgy/whatever. 

Probably. And I have noticed IRL that white people who are married to/in a relationship with people of color tend to give themselves more of a pass with respect to racial comments. Maybe that's part of what QT was trying to comment on with that scene:

They have senior citizen operable light sabers and wheelchair ramps on the Millennium falcons C CP1708 who knew?

watched the kingsman last night. very dope movie. i thought merlin was stanley tucci the entire time, only to find out it was mark strong during the credits :lol:

roxy :wow:

that church scene :wow: :pimp:

Last edited:
Has any cable network [that's actually trying] done it worse than TNT?

Current
Rizzoli & Isles (Since 2010)
Falling Skies (Since 2011)
Major Crimes (Since 2012)
Transporter: The Series (Since 2012)
Cold Justice (Since 2013)
Boston's Finest (Since 2013)
The Last Ship (Since 2014)
Legends (Since 2014)
Murder in the First (Since 2014)
The Librarians (Since 2014)
Private Life of Nashville Wives (Since 2014)

Past
The Closer (2005-2012)
The Company (2007)
Saving Grace (2007-2010)
Raising the Bar (2008-2009)
Leverage (2008-2012)
Trust Me (2009)
Dark Blue (2009-2010)
Men of a Certain Age (2009-2011)
Hawthorne (2009-2011)
Memphis Beat (2010-2011)
Southland (2010-2013)
Franklin & Bash (2011-2014)
Dallas (2012-2014)
Perception (2012-2015)
King & Maxwell (2013)
Mob City (2013)
Monday Mornings (2013)

Also, Dave...

Last edited:
tina fey came off as a real garden tool bending over. like cmon now you have a daughter.

raising the bar was decent.

Last edited:
There's nothing realistic or natural about QT's dialogue though. Nobody talks like a QT character in real life :lol:
I've actually met ppl that have talked like that.

The main difference being they are not as interesting as they think themselves to be or are in the QT movies. They're usually more self involved boring ppl that like to drone on and on and wax poetic.

Has any cable network [that's actually trying] done it worse than TNT?

Current
Rizzoli & Isles (Since 2010)
Falling Skies (Since 2011)
Major Crimes (Since 2012)
Transporter: The Series (Since 2012)
Cold Justice (Since 2013)
Boston's Finest (Since 2013)
The Last Ship (Since 2014)
Legends (Since 2014)
Murder in the First (Since 2014)
The Librarians (Since 2014)
Private Life of Nashville Wives (Since 2014)

Past
The Closer (2005-2012)
The Company (2007)
Saving Grace (2007-2010)
Raising the Bar (2008-2009)
Leverage (2008-2012)
Trust Me (2009)
Dark Blue (2009-2010)
Men of a Certain Age (2009-2011)
Hawthorne (2009-2011)
Memphis Beat (2010-2011)
Southland (2010-2013)
Franklin & Bash (2011-2014)
Dallas (2012-2014)
Perception (2012-2015)
King & Maxwell (2013)
Mob City (2013)
Monday Mornings (2013)
Honestly, for the longest I didn't even know TNT was that type of network or trying to be a network that has original shows.

I really thought they were only good for Inside the NBA and re-airing movies on tv. That goes for their sister network TBS too. I thought all they did was re-air tv shows that had reached syndication. It was only around the time of Conan having his talk show there and Southland (which was pretty good from what I remember but I didn't even keep up with it) that I realized they were trying to be a network that actually wanted to compete with other cable networks and primetime basic tv.

Thought they were good with high ratings on Thursday nights and when the playoffs started :lol:

Like take The Closer for instance, I never really watched it but when it reached syndication and started getting reruns on basic tv I just assumed it was a CBS show I never watched since for most of the 2000s I never watched CBS.

I really don't know what to say about their attempts. It's hard to say they're trying with shows like The Librarians and Falling Skies. I can't call it most times. When I see stuff like Franklin & Bash and Rizzoli & Isles I assume they're trying to get ppl that watch their Law & Order reruns but then I'll see commercials for other shows where they actually have actors starring in it I do recognize and I just think what is going on? Like are they really just doing a show for the check knowing TNT shows barely get multiple seasons? Their quality is extremely lacking though and really they have/had an opportunity to really produce some good series and establish a brand like what we've seen FX has done. Yet most times their quality is just a notch above SyFy series :smh: :x

Also, Dave...

:evil:
tina fey came off as a real garden tool bending over. like cmon now you have a daughter.
I loved it.

She's one fine milf :smokin

Last edited:
She is :pimp:. I'm in, no question.

I have to get after the USA list. It's a notch above TNT, but there's no way that they've put out anything I actually like apart from Psych. Even then, I don't actually watch it but I can when others are.

Last edited:
The best thing on any TNT show is Sasha Alexander. She seemed really happy to guest star on last season of Shameless. She showed off her perfect breasts in topless scenes. Even fans of rizzoli & isles said they were happy she was doing other work since the show doesn't do anything with her character.

Last edited:
Great doc called Freeway: Crack in the System directed by Marc Levin, which tells the story of “Freeway” Rick Ross who created the US' first crack empire with the help of the CIA & the Nicaraguan Contra fighters & drug cartels.

Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Gary Webb first shed light on Ross, the US government, CIA, & Nicaraguan Contra fighters & drug cartels with his Dark Alliance newspaper series back in the day but the major media like the NY Times, Washington Post, & the LA Times started to discredit Webb & his story which led to everyone abandoning Webb & him being pushed out of journalism...

Below is a movie that just came out with Renner playing Webb. I'm going to try & catch it this weekend on VOD...

I posted about "Kill the Messenger" a couple months back. I thought it was a good movie.

Nope. A woman with a daughter shouldn't be acting that way on national TV. It's awkward and sets a bad precedent for Her child.

I couldn't make it past 15 minutes of This Is 40. Just non-stop complaining from the characters about their lives.

I couldn't make it past 15 minutes of This Is 40. Just non-stop complaining from the characters about their lives.

I watched the majority of it, but had the same feeling as you. Very disappointing movie, particularly considering how much I enjoyed the same characters in Knocked Up.

Back
Top Bottom