Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

yes to the Revenant :pimp:

And finally, some love for Eyes Wide Shut.. I understand it was a slow burn.. but that's one of my favorite Kubrick films.

I thought a lot of people like Eyes Wide Shut. My friends and I do but we're also pervs. Would love a sequel.

I thought a lot of people like Eyes Wide Shut. My friends and I do but we're also pervs. Would love a sequel.

I'd say it's his least liked modern film (Starting with Dr. Strangelove). I'd say that pretty strongly too. People might not like Barry Lyndon, but only because they probably haven't seen it. :lol:

The rest of his modern resume: Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, and Full Metal Jacket.

I love Eyes Wide Shut too, and watch it pretty often.

But it's not as good as the rest of those. :lol:

Hell, I like Paths of Glory and Spartacus more too. EWS is in the bottom-tier of Kubrick films to me.

But, it's still a great movie.

I kinda remember reading reviews criticizing it. When I talk to people about it in real life we start to smile because those masquerade sex orgies at the mansion were the truth.

Last edited:
I'm gonna do something crazy and call it right now.

Just based off of that 2 minute teaser, Alejandro Inarritu is going to win another Oscar for Best Director for The Revenant.

Looks freaking incredible visually wow man.

Just based off of that 2 minute teaser, Alejandro Inarritu is going to win another Oscar for Best Director for The Revenant.

I mean, unless you keep your ear pretty close to the ground, it's hard to know what's going to be hot in December.

It definitely looks good though.

I'd say it's his least liked modern film (Starting with Dr. Strangelove). I'd say that pretty strongly too. People might not like Barry Lyndon, but only because they probably haven't seen it. :lol:

The rest of his modern resume: Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, and Full Metal Jacket.

But it's not as good as the rest of those. :lol:

Hell, I like Paths of Glory and Spartacus more too. EWS is in the bottom-tier of Kubrick films to me.

I like EWS, but I have to confess that the score kind of gives me a headache. But I think that's intentional, so i don't say that as a criticism.

Kubrick is the best director. Ever. Ever.

My current favorite is PTA

Anyway. So I finally watched Ex Machina. Best sci if movie I've seen in a longgggg time. Incredible movie.

I mean, unless you keep your ear pretty close to the ground, it's hard to know what's going to be hot in December.

It definitely looks good though.

That's why I said its "crazy."

Just a bold prediction :smile:

Ant Man boosted by 3D or just a slight difference in a few parts (like normal)?

I'd say it's his least liked modern film (Starting with Dr. Strangelove). I'd say that pretty strongly too. People might not like Barry Lyndon, but only because they probably haven't seen it.
laugh.gif

But it's not as good as the rest of those.
laugh.gif

I didn't like Spartacus. It didn't feel like a Kubrick movie at all. Felt like it could've been directed by any Hollywood director of the period. Kubrick hated it and practically disowned it. Easily my least favorite Kubrick. And yeah, Barry Lyndon was great. But it's not that accessible because it doesn't have the violence/sex of A Clockwork Orange, The Shining and Full Metal Jacket to attract the audience. Kubrick put in so much work into that movie and was devastated when the movie was a box office failure. 
Kubrick is the best director. Ever. Ever.

My current favorite is PTA

Anyway. So I finally watched Ex Machina. Best sci if movie I've seen in a longgggg time. Incredible movie.
If you like Kubrick and PTA, then you really need to discover the films of the forgotten genius of American cinema and PTA's favorite director, Robert Altman. PTA once told him "All I do is rip you off". This is one of the most amazing cinematic experiences I ever had, even though I still don't know what I saw exactly when I watched this movie:

Watching The Holiday on Showtime (whatever, come at me bros). Jack Black was actually ok in a more understated role. Kate Winslet though :wow:

And I regret to say I've only seen one Robert Altman movie in its entirety - Popeye with Robin Williams. It's good. Seen parts of MASH. And that's it.

Last edited:
I actually downloaded a few Altman movies after I saw them recommended by some author who was discussing inherent vice. So yeah I hear ya. Just haven't had time to dive in.

Paths of glory is a really underrated Kubrick movie. I mean as much as one of his movies could be underrated with such a fanatic following. It really is incredible. I have been saving Barry Lyndon and Lolita for years. I don't like the feeling of not having anymore Kubrick movies to ever see. I actually have done that with a few directors I love. I haven't seen hard eight or bottle rocket.

But yeah I hope I like Altman as it would give me another director to get to know.

Watching manhunter right now. Always wanted to give it a shot.

I'm a big fan of Manhunter. I personally like it more than Red Dragon. Williams Peterson is great as Will Graham and Tom Noonan is freaky as **** as Dollarhyde. Still have bad dreams with him in it. Brian Cox is also solid as the first screen iteration of Lecter. Played it much differently than Hopkins, but was still good.

Yeah I just had my first few glimpses of lecktor. It's hard for me to see anyone but Hopkins. I loved the book and remember liking the movie. Kind of amazing we haven't seen a remake of lambs. :x you know it will happen one day.

I'm digging manhunter. Superrrrrr 80's. I miss good Mann.

Oh and the new vacation movie looks ******* terrible. Embarrassingly bad.

Back
Top Bottom