Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

like before 2014 everyone was hyped for the big comic book/action movies (cap2, gotg, godzilla, DOFP, ect..) but whiplash and birdman ended up being the best movies by far

this year it seems like the best movies are the big comic book block busters. of course there are great indie films but one has yet to steal the spotlight imo 

Come on man, it's July. :lol:

Oscar season rolls around, we'll have plenty more to talk about.

There's a reason why all the dramas come out after like September.

Whiplash was great but I didn't like it more than Birdman. I thought the acting was much much better in birdman (what do you know, a movie about acting has good actors that act well), but also the story was way more original. The gist of whiplash to me was student gets taught by a hard *** teacher, student struggles, student eventually perseveres and proves teacher wrong. Insert the majority of all sports themed movies movie plots and you have the same formula basically.

NOT saying whiplash was bad by any means. It was easily one of the best movies of the year. I'm just saying I liked birdman more for it's more creative plot and storyline

Just got done watching Expendables 3.

Just for all the cameos...4/8.

Just got done watching Expendables 3.

Just for all the cameos...4/8.
i tried watching that movie once

turned it off 30 minutes in and ended up watching predator 
pimp.gif

Every time I randomly have the TV on this late when these two happen to be on ABC, I can't shake the feeling that it's an episode of Black Mirror.

Last edited:
Just watched a random episode of Rome.. Man they really ended that show way too soon

I never watched Home Alone 3, it's on right now, Scarlett Johansen was dudes older sister. Woah

Last edited:
Just watched a random episode of Rome.. Man they really ended that show way too soon

Loved that show. My friends used to always hype up that show to me before I was really into tv shows and movies like I am now. They would joke about what a nympho Cleopatra was. Finally watched it years later and understood the greatnesd they described.

I think it was a few years ahead of its time. Really could have benefitted from social media, as GoT has. Because it had all the same elements that help male GoT so big.

Man you hate Ellaria.
I love her, she's an old ride or die broad that's mad her Man got knocked is all. Woman scorned.

Question though: you rather be Titus Pulo or Lucius Vorenus?

Last edited:
I liked her until what she did to Myrcella. Hope Jaime da Gawd puts his paw on her.

Lucius was a cool dude but titus got to clap Cleopatra's freak cheeks.

I think it was a few years ahead of its time. Really could have benefitted from social media, as GoT has. Because it had all the same elements that help male GoT so big.
few years back i binged on a few episodes of Rome and just stopped out of nowhere. Was really good from what I saw though.

With Caitlyn all over the tube, it got me to thinking about my very first exposure of a transgender person via John Lithgow in The World According To Garp. Lithgow did such a great job of portraying his trans character in such an empathetic way, it's actually one of the things that helped shaped me to be a more understanding person. Lithgow's character was my favorite in the movie as he was the balance of saneness amidst some of the craziness around him/her.

If you haven't already, I highly suggest watching this movie. One of Robin Williams (RIP) best movies.

I really wish it wasn't Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner that caused this great mass acceptance of gender identity issues.

Just wish it was someone who wasn't in the limelight.

Saw in a another thread, a Comic Book movie rankings list. But it had everything, like Howard the Duck (???) & stuff like that. So I did my own, a more recent crop of films tho.

Spoiler cuz it's a bit long.

The Dark Knight
The Gold standard for comic book films. This one played out more like a Scorsese film in respect to removing Batman as a whole, the movie will still hold up as an action-crime drama. Ledger’s performance as the Joker rivals that of Darth Vader in terms of pure villainy, and it may be a while before this one is knocked off its perch. Bale, Ledger, Oldman, Caine, Freeman and Eckhart is just an embarrassment of riches for one cast.

The Avengers
More cartoony in feel, but no less as awe inspiring as TDK. The culmination of years of buildup, to finally see all the legendary characters on screen at once. Bright and fluffier than Nolan’s darkness, but possibly more fun and enjoyable as a comic film. Loki provided a strong aura as the villain but you never quite felt like the world, or the Avengers themselves were every truly in danger with his scheming.

Batman Begins
A strong beginning by Nolan/Bale, and a true redeeming for Liam Neeson after his failing as a Jedi Master. Liam was tremendous in this one, almost every word he speaks is more Jedi than anything he uttered for Lucas, and his teachings shows us the true transformation from Bruce Wayne into something more, something iconic, a symbol……

Captain America 2
The Winter Soldier might be the most menacing of the comic villains to date. Not much on the dialogue side, but in terms of look, and feel, he fits the mold perfectly. This was one of the better “snuck up” on me in terms of I did not expect to like this film as much as I did. At one point, I almost convinced myself it was even better than the Avengers and Begins. Solid story, great action, good cast, new characters introduced, it was just a solid all around film on all levels.

Guardians of the Galaxy
The real standard for out of nowhere snuck up films, GotG turned out to be Marvel’s biggest success in terms of what was expected. Great performances from each of the leads, Rocket, Groot, Drax, Gamora, and of course Chris Pratt. Multiple villains and our best look (to date) of Thanos and his evil sneer.

Iron Man
One of the “first” ones, in terms of a signal in the changing of the comic book world. X-Men in 2000 and Spiderman in 2002 really “changed” the overall landscape of what we could expect from these films, but Iron Man was the one that opened the doors to a bigger world, a combined story, a greater story than just a solo project. Robert Downey Jr began his meteoric rise back to the top of the entertainment industry and Marvel became a true power.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron
The hype and build up to this film was so over the top, unless it cleared 5 billion, it was bound to be a letdown. The movie was bigger, and probably “better” than the first Avengers, but it lacked the first time, deadstock vibe. Ultron was a solid villain, for a while, before we all realized it was just a matter of time before he was an easy task. The film felt even more like a set up for the future than others before it. If they honed in more on just this one story, it could have vaulted into the top 3-4 with ease.

X-Men: Days of Future Past
The best of the X-Men installments and a very solid film overall despite a lot of early doubt. They managed the time travel well enough, they cut back (a little) on the Logan overplay, and they let their characters do their jobs. Both Magento’s, both Xaviers on the clock, Jennifer Lawrence doing much better than First Class, and a great job with the Sentinels.

The Dark Knight Rises
The weakest of the Nolan trilogy, still better than a lot of other comic adaptions. Bane was absolutely awesome, up until he was taken out by a girl, but hey. The story was shakier than the first two, but the subject matter was pure epic and had Ledger been alive, there’s no telling where this story might have gone. The conclusion was very well done aside from the clearing out of Bane and Talia, but setting up Robin/Nightwing, Wayne’s escape, and Nolan’s first successful female character in Hathaway’s Catwoman along with Bane, Liam returning and even Scarecrow make it solid enough.

The Amazing Spiderman 2
Many like the Raimii Spiderman sequel the best, I personally like ASM2 a smidge better. It truly captured the look of comic books to me better with the insane visuals and vibrant settings moreson than Doc Ock and a more bland feel in Raimii’s version. The death of Emma Stone was also the realest true loss in any of the superhero films, moreso than Rachel in TDK or Coulson in The Avengers. Her death was executed so incredibly well, if they had only worked in Goblin a little better, this film would have hit much better.

Spiderman 2
When it came out, it was way up there, but over time it has slipped a little imo. Doc Ock was portrayed nicely by Molina, but the character itself was meh. He was upset his wife died, he a little brain thing controlling him, and in the end he wasn’t even that bad of a villain, just a little out of it. The train sequence was great, and Tobey was even better in this one than the first, but Mary Jane got a little tired and it just lacked the energy that ASM2 had.

Man of Steel
In time, I might slot this even a bit higher, but a lot of people really disliked this for some reason. To me, easily, this is the best Superman film we’ve ever seen, and I thought they NAILED the interpretation. The dialogue from Costner was every bit the guidance by Liam in BB, and the visuals were outstanding, not just the CGI fighting, but the boy on a farm with his cape and his dog, the world thru Clark’s eyes, etc were really well done. Zod was extremely well done, and crazy as can be, so much so you almost feel for him, he just wanted to do right by his people.

X-Men 2
A sequel that outshined its predecessor, at the time, this was in play for one of the best for a long while, but it didn’t take long for it to be surpassed, multiple times. It stood for a while at least as the best version of X-Men, until last year. Wolverine got unleashed, but in that, they also unleased too much of Wolverine/Logan in the rest of the universe. Jackman does his job well, but they got carried away with his usage and the franchise has clearly suffered from it.

Spiderman
Amazing, in 2002. Really was. Jumped the comic genre way up when it debuted, but over time it too has been surpassed. DaFoe was excellent as the Green Goblin, a role he might have been made for, but the visuals and stunt work has lessened compared to the stuff we’ve seen the last few years. 10 years from now, this film might look like Superman of 1978.

Thor 2
Like the solid C+ of movies, nothing amazing, but nothing too terrible to knock it either. Loki once against steals the show, but a very solid effort all the way around so much so that even Renee Russo gets busy for a little bit. The story was a liiiiiiitle stretched thin, but they made it plausible enough to deal with and Hemsworth definitely gives a worthy performance, but again, nothing truly amazing, just that solid 78/100 C+ grade.

X-Men First Class
A solid reboot, again, with really lowered expectations, this one surprised me. I had so many doubts, I didn’t even bother checking this one in the theaters, and when I finally copped on Blu Ray, I was very surprised and happy with the result. Soft reboot, that was well casted, and written much better than X1 or X3. The tie ins to the era with the Cuban missile crisis and what not was also a really fun touch.

The Amazing Spiderman
The reboot we never understood, Sony acted quick after they lost out on Spiderman 4 and 5, they recovered well enough with a solid casting in Garfield and bringing in Emma Stone as Gwen rather than going with another Mary Jane. The story was fairly well done and a different approach than the first Spiderman but the action was a bit slow to start out with and just isn’t as memorable as some of the other films to this point.

X-Men
Really strange to be this far down, now, but looking at the movie now, it’s really dated. The bland uniforms, the Berry accent (???) the kind of meh storyline, it all outshines the vibe of seeing them all on screen together for the first time. In 2000 it was amazing, in 2015, it lacks. Wolverine and Magneto are solid, as is Mystique, but Toad and Sabertooth were really lame and kind of hurt the film a bit.

Captain America
Quintessential “starter” film for Marvel, sort of an introduction to the character to get you ready for The Avengers, the first time they made a full movie, just to get you to another movie. Still, the film had heart. The story was done well enough, Tommy Lee and the Dr. were both solid, Agent Carter was really good, and Evans was perfect for the role. Red Skull had potential to be a great villain, but in the end he was pretty bland. But it worked in the end, the sequel was obviously a smash hit.

Thor
The other cookie cutter film, get to know you type thing, here’s some characters, here’s where they’re from, some action, etc. But, it gave us our first look at Loki, Hemsworth was equally well casted, Coulson was pretty good, gave us our first look at Hawkeye, it wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t a memorable “C+” either, it was just that basic C.

The Wolverine
I wanted to put this higher, and I might have, if they finished the movie. Silver Samurai done better, and this moves up the list pretty good. Logan was great, the setting was great, story/action were all well done for over an hour, and then the ninjas and their infinite harpoons were just sort of……? And then we finally get Samurai, and he looked like Shredder on steroids. Finish that last half hour, and this film could have been really good. No idea how they messed that up.

Daredevil
I personally like Daredevil a lot more than other. I thought it was really good. But in terms of practicality, I can’t jump it all that much higher than a lot of these others. I thought it was directed well, casted really well, and I thought the performances were better than given credit for. I liked a lot of the dialogue, it was more grim then it gets credit for, pulling his teeth out after a night of battling, the “I’m not the bad guy, kid” line, Bullseye’s performance, all of it played really well to me. But I can’t go thru the list and find a better slot in all honesty.

Iron Man 2
Same as Daredevil. I like IM2 a lot more than other people. Some people have Green Latern above this film they hate it so much, I don’t. I liked it a lot when it came out. But after a couple more viewings, it did sort of settle a little more. War Machine bothered me a lot more than I remember, and even tho he tried, Rourke wasn’t as good as I thought on initial views. I loved Black Widow tho, and I thought Sam Rockwell was excellent, and they upgraded the armors, and some of the action, but like A2, it lost some of the nostalgia of the first Iron Man, so I slotted it near Daredevil overall.

The Incredible Hulk
I feel bad placing it this low, it really wasn’t a bad movie at all, Norton did an excellent job making it look like a mere scientist trying to fix a big problem. And they definitely did a really solid job with Tim Roth’s character, he was really good, and I wish they could still use him in the MCU. But of all the other MCU movies, outside of IM3, this one doesn’t really stand out. I wouldn’t be mad if someone wanted to nudge it ahead of Thor and Cap 1. I think that would be fair, and maybe I’m just placing them ahead of this one based more off their sequels than just their first adaptions.

Spiderman 3
The next three films will be the letdown trio. First, is what could have been, should have been, might have been a top 3 contender if they did Venom anywhere close to right. They didn’t, and the entire franchise got scrapped afterwards. Dancing emo Peter, Mary Jane overload, whatever they did to Venom, Topher Grace? Good God. Did Michael Bay write and direct this?

X-Men 3
They screwed up The Phoenix. They. Screwed. Up. The. Phoenix. That was possible? How hard did they try to manage that? They went to almost all secondary characters. They killed Summers. They killed Xavier. They were down to Halle Berry, Rogue, and Iceman for heaven’s sakes, all so they could use Wolverine more and Kelsey Grammar????? Why?

Iron Man 3
Guardians and Cap 2 snuck up in terms of lowered expectations and surpassing them widely, this was the opposite. This was supposed to be GREAT, and looked like it was hitting the mark, and it was on its way, and was doing great, and then………Mandarin…..a complete, utter, breakdown. Silver Samurai thinks Mandarin was a letdown. Tony Stark, trying to save the world, in a hoody. And water balloons. Like…..I don’t even…..reboot this movie. Not the Iron Man franchise, they need to reboot just this movie, and do it proper.

Green Latern
Feel like I’m piling on, but this movie was a huge letdown. Reynolds “tried” to capture the character, but almost every mark was missed. Every character should have worked, but none of them worked. I barely remember a single thing about the film, compared to all the rest of these where I at least remember some things, good or bad, I hardly remember anything from this one. Not a good look.

I really wish it wasn't Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner that caused this great mass acceptance of gender identity issues.

Just wish it was someone who wasn't in the limelight.

Then it would go unnoticed. Just weird that he was making the transition out of all the people in the world and being a part of that ridiculous family. Something is always going on with them.

laverne cox brought discussion to the topic before her though.

Last edited:
Then it would go unnoticed. Just weird that he was making the transition out of all the people in the world and being a part of that ridiculous family. Something is always going on with them.

laverne cox brought discussion to the topic before her though.

That was my main thing with the whole thing.

Of course, it had to be the Kardashian family. Who is famous for no reason.

C CP1708

I could've just seen you ranking Begins so high as a difference of opinion but then I read what I assume was your reasoning and it's all about Liam Neeson being a better Jedi as Ra's than he was in the prequels movie :lol: As if Neeson was writing his own lines :lol: Not much about why Begins is getting that high of a ranking at all. Just Neeson making up for Star Wars.

Well, the actual point is moreso the writing, for dialogue, in Begins, vs Lucas dialogue writing.

That's just how I compared the difference. Begins is written really, really well. Probably my favorite thing about the movie.

Back
Top Bottom