Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

De Niro looked cool as hell in Heat. Kilmer also had the cool ponytail. That bank heist escape scene gets copied, I've seen it in a few video games.

******* Waingrow :smh: Sometimes when I re-watch Heat, I really hope that the ending will change and he gets popped in that trunk and doesn't escape.

Those who like Heat should really check out Michael Mann's first film: Thief

There are many similarities with Heat that he made 14 years later.. Especially the technical side of heists, they had actual former thiefs consulting about the details. And it has one of the most memorable scores ever.

I thought he said "Heat is the Rushmore of action movies".. and I was trying to figure out how Heat could be compared to Wes Anderson's Rushmore and I was really excited to hear that 
laugh.gif

But yeah.. it's a classic.

That would be crazy if someone said that :lol:

Even crazier if they broke it down and it made sense. If anything a comparison to Bottle Rocket would be more apt.

Just finished watching black Mass. Great movie was very enjoyable. Depp killed that role man. Only downside is the 3rd act was pretty meh. Felt rushed..overall would give it a 6.5/8

Speaking of Anderson.. Moonrise Kingdom is on Netflix Instant.. and I'll be watching that tonight.

Great movie.

BTW, recently looked up what Wes Anderson's next project will be and looks like he's going to do another animated film like Fantastic Mr. Fox. Count me in.

Last edited:
John Wick shooting percentage is better than DeAndre Jordan. Dude must hit like 85% from the field in the movie. :lol: :pimp:

I just watched Akira, and that was an experience. It's hard to believe that it came out in 1988.

It feels like it could have been made within the last 10 years with the ideas and the animation. The visuals were impressive and a bit mindboggling. The plot... I'm not exactly sure what went down in the last act, still trying to piece things together. The themes fit in line with the interpersonal dramas and sci-fi that has been popular lately with dystopian futures and special abilities/science. If Nolan or anyone is working on a live action adaptation, I can definitely see it spanning several movies into its own cinematic universe and trilogy. It'd be interesting to see a more fleshed out take on it, however people are going to leaving the theater with their minds blown since people were tripping about Interstellar's plot points. And live action visuals with CGI? That's going to be interesting 
smokin.gif

Man, 3 (seemingly) solid films this weekend. Heard Depp puts in a classic performance in BM and that Everest is worthy of an IMAX viewing. Adding to that, Scorch Trials is out and I really liked the first one. Decisions, decisions...
Still don't care for Heat.
Heat has been in my number one spot of favorite films of all time for years now. Script is very tight, great performances by Pacino and Deniro, intriguing tertiary characters and the set pieces were well choreographed. It's the classic cops and robbers film on a higher level. But yeah, I know a lot of people who thinks it's average. To each their own I guess.

I just watched Akira, and that was an experience. It's hard to believe that it came out in 1988.

It feels like it could have been made within the last 10 years with the ideas and the animation. The visuals were impressive and a bit mindboggling. The plot... I'm not exactly sure what went down in the last act, still trying to piece things together. The themes fit in line with the interpersonal dramas and sci-fi that has been popular lately with dystopian futures and special abilities/science. If Nolan or anyone is working on a live action adaptation, I can definitely see it spanning several movies into its own cinematic universe and trilogy. It'd be interesting to see a more fleshed out take on it, however people are going to leaving the theater with their minds blown since people were tripping about Interstellar's plot points. And live action visuals with CGI? That's going to be interesting 
smokin.gif

pimp.gif

My man
pimp.gif
  Another anime movie that fit the bill like Akira in terms of everything you described is Ghost In The Shell. Movie is from the 90s and is based off a manga just like Akira. Had a big success and would be another top 10 anime film. It's about another future where technology is so intertwined with humans with networks that people are pretty much cyborgs. Challenging what's Self-identity in a technologically advanced world. sound familiar? who we are online is not the same in real life.

People forget to notice who's real and who's a machine. Main girl and her police force has to stop this hacker who can hack into other people to do his bidding.

The soundtrack to the movie is so beautiful and memorable. epic af. Inspired another wave of Sci-fi brought on by directors. The Wachoskis loved th emovie and wanted to do the same thing but in live action. The video below's still already has something similar to the Matrix "Digital rain" but horzontal. Also in the movie they plug in like Neo did in the Matrix

Food for thought. or homework if you want to watch another movie. I love these both. Ghost In The Shell's manga is still going strong and had hella movies come after this but not as great as this one.

Back
Top Bottom