Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

It was incredible.

Humor, heart, action, callbacks, brilliant new characters, it was pretty much everything I wanted and expected.

I wish they took a couple more chances on the story and structure, but oh well. Playing it safer is understandable.. this one was just about sticking the landing. Show us this universe brought to life again with new characters and a new team. I have no doubts Episode VIII will be damn near perfect.

I'll have a detailed review later tonight or tomorrow, but this one was incredible. One of the most enjoyable experiences in the movies for me.

I'm already so hyped for Episode VIII, it is indeed going to be the prefect SW film. Rian Johnson is going to kill it. Brick is a brilliant little indy flick, and Looper was so damn good and so damn underrated. Can't wait to see how he takes on the Star Wars universe, especially building off what Abrams put together in the cast and characters. I'm just wondering if it's going to have a noir feel like the above mentioned movies, which would be an interesting theme for SW.

I think Rogue One is the one I'm most looking forward too. I know Rian will do great work, but Saving Private Ryan style Star Wars film with possibly prime Vader + Fett is just too outstanding.

I think Rogue One is the one I'm most looking forward too. I know Rian will do great work, but Saving Private Ryan style Star Wars film with possibly prime Vader + Fett is just too outstanding.

Yeah I'm hyped for Rogue One. HYPED. Donnie Yen in Star Wars?

jump-in-my-car.gif

I know I'm late to the Star Wars talk a few pages back but in ESB one of the reasons in Bespin where Vader let Chewie and the rest of them go while Han was taken was because he found out that C3PO was shot but not completely destroyed. a lieutenant tells Vader that a Wookie snuck into the junk yard and collected all the pieces of 3PO. Since he put in so much effort to find him he knew an old friend was in good hands.  if you remember in the end of episode 3 they said they were going to wipe the memory of 3PO which they did but not R2. He escaped from that I believe.

4Gfcz.jpg

from the comic Thank the Maker

Now this is all canon which Disney may or may not have announced is still qualified canon. in the established universe with the books over the years completely thrown out the window and therefore called Star Wars legends who knows what will take part going on forward (VIII, Rogue 1 etc. etc.)

In what was Star Wars legends (and used to be canon) Leia becomes a Jedi (saber colour was oj at first then blue after a bit [that does matter]), marries Han, has twins Jaina and Jacen, a third child named Anakin. Anakin dies in a war and Jacen turns to the dark side. fun fact she killed a Hutt that happened to also be a sith. so imagine Jabba in a saber fight
laugh.gif
. but no not all Hutts were fat and obese mob bosses.

All this USED to be official canon in the Star Wars established universe so don't get too excited. I haven't seen the movie yet but everyone's question is what, if any, of the Legends canon will they use for the next movies since it's already written out there for them. When George Lucas did have control of SW and the official canon of the time he pretty much had only one rule and that was no one from the movies or original crew can die. probably like 7 years ago or so there was a small nerd uproar when he finally gave the ok to kill off Chewie. So Leia's kid dying and others were fine to him

is hux supposed to be thrawn?

CP posted a great write up on Star Wars VII for my website, not sure if he posted his thoughts here or anywhere else yet. Be aware of spoilers.

http://g42sports.com/star-wars-vii/

*Be aware of potential spoilers*

The Force Awakens

Indeed.

There has been an awakening. I have felt it. Movie theaters across the galaxy have as well. The newest installment in the eagerly awaited return of the Star Wars cinematic franchise has indeed brought this nation, and this planet, out of its slumber. The four billion dollar investment Disney made in buying the Star Wars universe from creator George Lucas may break even after just this one film. And next year, they’ll get to actually start making money. In 2020, after its sixth film in six years, Disney will have enough money it may actually attempt to build a real Death Star, because, why not?

JJ Abrams has succeeded where Lucas failed in 1999, recapturing the imagination of a desperate Star Wars fan base that had clamored for a return to greatness since 1983’s Return of the Jedi. Hope and expectations were high in 1997 when the Prequel trilogy was announced, but those films were received with a dull thud as eight year old boys, political nothingness, and Jar Jar Binks interrupted our jaw dropping glee whenever Darth Maul briefly appeared on screen. The Force Awakens, though, gave us all of the jaw dropping, and none of the Jar Jar. Emotion. Nostalgia. Beauty. Lens flares. All of it was present this time.

With years and years of build up to the prequels, Lucas somehow managed to dumb the entire franchise down with mindless droids, and just as mindless Clones to take away one of the biggest factors in the original trilogy, humanity. So much of the originals were based on choice, actual human feeling both from the characters, and the audience. Choosing between rooting for the Empire, or rooting for the Rebellion. Han chose to help Luke and Leia despite his penchant for looking after himself first and only. Ben chose to let Vader take him down. Luke chose to face Vader without being ready. Vader chose to help his son. All of those choices led the audience where they needed to go, and made them believe there were true and viable threats, not moronic droids with cheesy dialogue. Aching over every scene, pouring over every detail for years and years, Star Wars fans examined every detail of the first trilogy. The Prequels failed to hit those marks. Viceroys, Jar Jars, Roger Rogers, and Clones were just obstacles with blasters that Jedi needed to wade through to get to the next green screen. He finally got around to the actual choice everyone waited for when Anakin (with 30 minutes left in the franchise) finally decided to turn to the dark side. (Is that how it happened, cuz he was a great guy 5 minutes prior to that???)

The Force Awakens brings back those key choices. Finn has a choice as a Stormtrooper. Rey and Finn choosing to help one another, even after just meeting. Han and Chewbacca getting back into the fray. Kylo’s choice as to who he truly wants to be. And maybe most importantly, Luke’s choice ultimately sets up why we’re even here. Abrams successfully rebooted the Star Trek franchise, and this felt almost like Star Wars: The Search For Luke. Yet it still worked out. Abrams blended the old with the new quite well, and kept the audience engaged with much better dialogue, new breathtaking imagery, quite a bit of well-timed humor, and a few shocking surprises along the way. (No small feat in the Internet age of spoiler leakage a full six months before any movie even wraps production)

With all the choices that impact the film and the franchise as a whole, Abrams’ choice to go with Daisy Ridley as Rey and have her be the new franchise leader may become the most important of all choices. Ridley is dazzling and will absolutely see her career forever altered as she enters the same lore Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford have with their iconic performances. Star Wars possibly being led by a female character is a tremendous start as we approach 2016 and young girls all over the galaxy will have someone to look to just as many young boys idolized Luke Skywalker in the late 70’s.

For those that prefer The Dark Side, Adam Driver’s performance as Kylo Ren is equally fascinating and manages to the hit the mark much more than Hayden Christensen’s portrayal of Anakin Skywalker did. Where Anakin was completely whiny and brattish, Kylo is unstable and more vicious with his child like outbursts and tantrums. Had Lucas gone this route immediately in The Phantom Menace, we may think very differently of the Prequel trilogy. Driver gave a dynamic performance as both the “evil” monster he wanted to be, and the searching young man he was trying to hide from. He teeters between enjoyable menacing villain, and throwing hissy fits with a lightsaber. One moment Force choking someone out and the next minute actually grasping their throat in his hand. His choices will live on forever no matter how his character is completed over the next film(s). I suspect Ford was equally important in that choice as he finally got his wish after 32 years to have Solo bid farewell.

Boyega was equally well done both as a humorous device and a misleading Abrams lead. Throughout the previews Boyega’s “Finn” led us to believe that he was the Jedi awakening and he would be the one to subdue the evil Kylo. Instead he was just the brave man that chose to follow a different path than the one he was on, and help the new Resistance. He thought nothing of himself in risking his life just to save Rey. He bravely stood toe to toe with Kylo. He searched for Poe even though he had no reason to care whether he lived or died. He was basically the compass in the good vs evil duel must like Han’s origin story had him inside the Imperial Navy before he became a space pirate.

Abrams’s usage of Finn was used throughout this film as he purposely misdirected us at every turn. Kylo’s origin. Luke’s whereabouts. The piece of junk on Jakku. Rey’s seeming connection to Luke, or will it be to Kylo? Much of the footage from the original teaser trailer that stunned the internet months ago was removed from the actual film, or at least altered in a way. They did a tremendous job keeping everything under wraps and leading to real and actual surprise on opening night. (No small feat) If this is a sign of things to come in future installments, it will be clear Disney is on the right track to restoring Star Wars as thee preeminent movie franchise in Hollywood.

The movie flows gracefully at just over two hours, after a decade long wait and several hours standing in line, the movie felt like I had just sat down and it was over. The storytelling and visuals were so quick it doesn’t drag for a second. Results have been favorable as my theater was packed with people that didn’t want to get up and people smiling from ear to ear all over huddled in groups outside of the theater. Over time I expect some nitpicking to begin with things like this film being a paint by numbers collab of the original trilogy and the parallels of multiple characters and events all the way down to the less is more Boba Fett/Captain Phasma usage. More superweapons to deal with, more planets in sudden peril, more Stormtroopers never hitting a damn thing. It’s all there, rewrapped in a shiny new package and after multiple viewings, I expect folks to try and diminish the work that Abrams did restoring the public’s faith in the franchise. As someone that was extremely displeased with the Prequels, I was quite happy with the vision that Abrams delivered.

I have been overly critical of Lucas’s work over the last decade largely due to the damage the Prequels did, but I will thank him here for creating this massive universe and finally opening the vault for others to come in and work in his playground. That said, seven Star Wars films exist. The two best films to this point in time are The Empire Strikes Back and now The Force Awakens. Both of them directed by somebody other than Lucas himself. Based on the reception so far, and the feelings I still have now going on four hours sleep, I’m predicting this film will reach one billion dollars domestic, and possibly three billion worldwide. If that’s not an awakening……
It's on the last page guys. :lol:

Sicario was very dope. Damn I slept on that one..

Gonna check out Carol next cause Cate is the GOAT.

watched independence day earlier. that speech with the recruit pilots is one of the goat movie speeches of all time. still sends chills watching it many years later.

Back
Top Bottom