Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

the visuals in avatar were neat but i didnt really care at all about rewatching it when I got out of theaters, which I feel like doing for most half decent movies 

The plot wasn't original but the way some talk about the movie in here make it sound like it was a total garbage movie.

I wouldn't call it total garbage, but it was very average to me. Then again, I only saw it in 2D at home. Still, I feel like if a movie is really good, you should be able to appreciate in any format. Like, I saw Force Awakens in IMAX 3D, but I'm confident that I would have liked it just as much if I saw it ar home on my flatscreen.

the-warriors-return-to-their-home-turf-36-years-later-635122.gif

Just watched Spotlight, LOVED IT. Great job. Keaton, Liev, McCadams, Ruffalo, Tucci, old dude from Mad Men, fantastic storytelling.

How was gone with the wind the highest with inflation? Like did they have nothing to do back in the day or just that one film played the whole time :lol:

Also film was like 4hrs long.

Last edited:
Hateful 8 will be one of the most watched films in my home for 2016'

Rewatchability is high. I love the setting, and the dialogue is amazing, you could be blind and see the whole movie like you had eyes.

I'm digging this. 3rd watch

How was gone with the wind the highest with inflation? Like did they have nothing to do back in the day or just that one film played the whole time
laugh.gif

Also film was like 4hrs long.
there was hardly any competition back then and the movie was in theaters for 4 years 

The plot wasn't original but the way some talk about the movie in here make it sound like it was a total garbage movie.

I wouldn't call it total garbage, but it was very average to me. Then again, I only saw it in 2D at home. Still, I feel like if a movie is really good, you should be able to appreciate in any format. Like, I saw Force Awakens in IMAX 3D, but I'm confident that I would have liked it just as much if I saw it ar home on my flatscreen.

Avatar was pointless in 2D. 3D is where the amazement came from. It was FILMED in 3D. Not re-rendered after the fact. Not filmed in 2D, then shown with 3D projection. Force Awakens was filmed in 2D, and shown in Imax 3D. I strongly disagree with your statement that if a "movie is really good" you should appreciate it in any format. Film quality is pretty freaking important with anything non-comedy. Watch a movie in windowbox vs. letterbox format. You will hate one, and you will stare at your screen googly-eyed and wanting to make love to the other.

to me a great movie needs to have compelling characters and story that come through as interesting in any format.

to me a great movie needs to have compelling characters and story that come through as interesting in any format.
This.

Does the format supplement the overall quality of a film? Sure.

But make/break the film it does not.

& I just got back from Star Wars in 2D & loved it.

Last edited:
Yea.. If you're a Tarantino fan, you'll enjoy hateful 8

Not as good as reservoir dogs, but still good

It was for me but I never go to the movies for visuals. I'm always substance over style. It's just how it is for my taste in most entertainment.

Last edited:
Man, I got SO many movies to catch up on. Managed to squeak in Sicario during a busy week last week... wasn't really a big fan, Del Toro was great but it was way too slow. Interesting story and beautifully shot, just wasn't great all the way through, too many slow paced parts that didn't lead anywhere.

TH8, Revenant, Spotlight, Big Short, Concussion (might just skip this one).. what am I missing?

Knocking out 2 of my must watches tonight.. Hateful 8 and straight outta Compton

Going catch the Martian and sciraio before Monday

watched the revenant today and i really enjoyed it. felt immersed in the environment. would have been much better in the theater.

didn't think I'd see anyone one nt mention Tangerine.  Crazy that the whole film was shot on an iphone and there's talk of Oscar buzz

I frequent this little indie theater in les ny. had no clue what it was just took a chance based on the poster :lol:. Was not disappointed. Also Watching movies alone>>>>

Last edited:
Legend 6.3/8

This was a good gangsta movie about the Kray bros. Looked great, great soundtrack, captured London real well.

I wasn't expecting anything but given I didn't know a lot about these guys I would've liked to see their rise to the top get more focus. It was probably clear the love story/relationship would get half the focus since girl narrated the movie but I just didn't like the subtle time skipping and glossing over how they became the top and apparently only gang in London save for one seemingly small rival. So without that I would've liked the police pursuit angle to be played up a bit more. Never was much tension between Eccleston's character and the Kray bros.

Tom Hardy was excellent in this. He played two different twins almost perfectly. Different mannerisms, speech patterns, etc. Ronnie Kray is ******* insane and they never really let up. You know when he's off his meds and when he's on :lol: It was cool how his crazy **** became vital to them being untouchable and then ****** it all up.

Reggie really could've got a whole movie to himself. It was interesting how he went about things and how he teamed up with Lansky.

Would watch again.

It's easy to pick a movie we all knew would be trash and call it the worst movie of the year

What was the most disappointing movie of the year?

I never got around to watching fant4stic so I would go with sicario
Mad Max is probably still gonna end up in my top 5 but I just want to say I was a bit put off how light the plot was.

The break neck pace of the movie was great. The never ending speed of it was all apart what made it great but the story was so straightforward and simple. Very minimal approach. Not a disappointment but it just slightly bothers me when I think of a criticism of the movie. My only real complaint.

I also didn't like where Legend started and certain points but I already spoke on that.

As for what was really the most disappointing movie, Pitch Perfect 2. Didn't come close to the first one.

Watched The Revenant earlier, thought it was pretty good. I liked how I haven't watched something like that in a while.

I think i'm not as entertained with movies as I used to be. I recently watched The Force Awakens, The H8teful Eight, Creed, and now The Revenant. They were all solid and good but I didn't like them as much as Ex Machina or Mad Max: Fury Road.

Back
Top Bottom