Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Tremblay gave the best lead performance this year imo. But the kid is like 9 years old so it's no surprise the Academy didn't nominate him :lol:

Can we also give some kudos to Brie Larson for the stellar films she's done in the past few years?

Not to mention she has fine titty meat.
smokin.gif

is there an example of an actor who stops trying after winning an oscar? 

I would think they normally get to turn an oscar win into even bigger and better roles

although leo is already at the level where he can get any role he wants 

I don't think stop trying, but post-Oscar careers were lackluster.

Cuba Gooding is one example, who I think will get back in the limelight with his role as OJ. Another is Adrian Brody.
There are guys (and gals) who win where they just acted their *** off and it's probably gonna be the only time they get it.

Career wise, they probably can't keep up that sort of consistent acting level.

I just happen to be a fan of Brody but he doesn't consistently pick the best movies anyway. Good but not grab your attention types.

You hear about actors taking on big popular roles and then collapsing under the pressure (Superman, Spider-Man, Anakin Skywalker, etc.) and I think that's a good comparison to Oscar winners for the acting categories. The next question for both is what's next? Some may fall back from that limelight and pressure and not work for years or do things others would say were the wrong choice/beneath them. Then there's those that just **** it up with a real bad choice.

leo doesnt deserve an oscar for that basic performance though...

dont fall for the hype 

Has anybody seen Anamalisa yet? I learned some stuff through another movie board that turned that movie on its side for me. WIIIIIILLLLDDD theory of what went down, that totally changed my outlook of the film. I need somebody in here that's also seen it to confirm it's craziness :rofl: :rofl: . Anyways it's a very well made film. It's a Charlie Kaufman creation so right off the bat, you know it's gonna be bizarre as hell. I don't wanna spoil anything but it's most likely gonna win an Oscar so go see it for yourself. 6.8/8

Post it in spoilers, baby pa. Interested to read this as I just saw the film recently.

:lol:

Slightly long read. If you don't wanna sort through it all, just scroll to the bottom and read the last line. Mind blown. pun intended.

Alright, here is the blow-out for Anomalisa, and I must say...what a brilliantly deceptive film to watch that will indeed play with your very own emotions, and certainly after this revelation it might make a lot of you go back and rethink that intimate sex scene packed with compassion as a complete lie for a way more raunchy and twisted truth behind our lonely character.

Michael holds onto old letters from Bella from back when they were together, and he often reads them to re-visualize the memories he's had with her, plagued with guilt over why he left her - but he still wants her under more lusty conditions.

At the hotel Michael decides to call her up and reunite in the bar, and they do. Michael fails miserably in achieving sex, and the aftermath he trails himself to that "toy store" that the taxi driver told him about at the beginning of the movie. It turns out Michael was recommended to a sex shop...could this have been a misunderstanding on the taxi driver's part, or could it have been where Michael wanted to go all along?

In the sex shop Michael gazes up at a Japanese sex doll, and he's mesmerized by its rustic imperfections. The most prominent and important detail about this doll Michael finds most beautiful is the cracks on the right side of its face, next to its eye. Michael gasps and says "it's so pretty", the first time we caught Michael in the entire film to be taken away by something he finds beautiful. He buys this doll.

Michael goes back to his hotel room and takes a shower to prepare himself for a hot one with the doll he just purchased. He looks into the mirror and goes into a mode of hysteria and runs around the hallway causing a ruckus to all the other guests.

Lisa shows up for the first time.

Michael is taken away by Lisa's imperfections, and especially that scar on the right side of her face next to her eye, the same position of the crack on the sex doll's face. Michael exclaims one more time how beautiful he finds its imperfections to be.

Michael lets her sing, and while most of the song Lisa sings is about how girls want to have fun, Japanese lyric was squeezed in between her lines as well.

Lisa explains to Michael how she likes the word "anomaly" and how she feels like she herself is one, and that's because she most certainly is one and not someone that actually exists.

An anomaly is a deviation away from something that is considered normal, and Michael's way of creating one is deviating away from having normal sex with another human being to devising a his ideal woman onto a sex doll, whom of which Lisa also has striking similarities to Bella.

This is Michael's perfect woman, and it's something that does not exist. His perfect woman is a combination of past relationships and his fascination to something as cold and mechanical as a Japanese doll.

The next morning Michael's face falls off and soon he's ready to be back to reality, he goes back to the room which he recalls meeting Lisa and her other friend is no longer infatuated by him but calls him a freak.

Michael goes up for his speech, and he has terrible execution...it's almost like he did not properly prepare the way he was supposed to for talking in front of people, and he fumbles miserably. He was too distracted by his own sexual fantasies to do anything remotely productive on his business trip.

Michael flies back home to his family and he realizes his delusional fantasies are not going to fix his problems. The sex doll which he gave to his son as a gift contains semen - his semen.

His wife resents this site with disgust and yells at Michael that he can do better than that and that he has family that actually care for him.

Michael sits back on the stair steps looking back at the doll one last time as it sings its Japanese tune. The sex doll is the only other thing in the entire film besides Lisa to have a female voice, and that's because that sex doll was Lisa.

As the doll's lullaby comes to a close Michael imagines Lisa's voice one last time, and in a bright dreamlike reality, Lisa explains how amazing her time was with Michael and writes on the same parchment of the letters Michael held from Bella.

Plot revelation: a man has a wet dream of the perfect woman while having sex with a pleasure doll.

There are guys (and gals) who win where they just acted their *** off and it's probably gonna be the only time they get it.

Career wise, they probably can't keep up that sort of consistent acting level.

I just happen to be a fan of Brody but he doesn't consistently pick the best movies anyway. Good but not grab your attention types.

You hear about actors taking on big popular roles and then collapsing under the pressure (Superman, Spider-Man, Anakin Skywalker, etc.) and I think that's a good comparison to Oscar winners for the acting categories. The next question for both is what's next? Some may fall back from that limelight and pressure and not work for years or do things others would say were the wrong choice/beneath them. Then there's those that just **** it up with a real bad choice.

Good points.

Kinda random but I really like Andrew Garfield. He's been picking some good roles post Spider-Man so far. He was awesome in 99 homes. Wouldn't be surprised if he snatched an Oscar for that Scorcesse film he'll be in

And Zik you really gotta watch Danish Girl. Performance is out of this world man.
I have no doubt. I'm a Redmayne fan.

I don't think he's going to win cuz of politics not cuz his performance isn't good enough. I could definitely be flat out wrong about him, and the Academy could then just be sending the message to everybody that they think Eddie Redmayne is the current great actor of his generation and should be counted among the best. I just don't think they're going to do that.

THX 1138  7.1/8

great execution of abstract scifi concepts

excellent set design and framing

very slow paced but the interesting characters and world kept me interested

dont fall for the hype 

This.

Has anybody seen Anamalisa yet? I learned some stuff through another movie board that turned that movie on its side for me. WIIIIIILLLLDDD theory of what went down, that totally changed my outlook of the film. I need somebody in here that's also seen it to confirm it's craziness :rofl: :rofl:. Anyways it's a very well made film. It's a Charlie Kaufman creation so right off the bat, you know it's gonna be bizarre as hell. I don't wanna spoil anything but it's most likely gonna win an Oscar so go see it for yourself. 6.8/8

MACBETH

This was a very hard film to watch even with my strong background in theater and shakespeare. I love Shakespeare but this play of his is probably my least favorite story. Faasbender is great like always but the accents in this movie are a bit too much. Jumbled, mumbley, whisper grunting, shakespearian gibberish mixed with thick scottish gibberish etc. The visuals are amazing. The fight scenes were a bit overdone, meaning that they weren't shy about using super slow-motion for every movement. Anyways from a technical standpoint, I enjoyed the movie. But it was too much of a struggle to get anymore enjoyment out of it so I'm gonna give it a 5.9/8 even though I think it was well made.
My exact sentiments regarding Macbeth & I'd probably give it the same rating.

I remember posting about it in here while I was waiting for it to come on & some old lady was directly behind me just moaning periodically :lol: :stoneface:

Movie is definitely a "I need to watch this at home w/ subtitles" film :lol:

Last edited:
in the movie there are some terrible cgi characters that took me out of the movie, i thought it was just bad 1970s animation 

just read that lucas added them in 2004 
roll.gif
mean.gif

I have watched the office 4+ times and have yet to watch a single ep of the UK version 

michael scott is brilliant writing 

its actually a very well directed and edited movie (he was both the director and editor) 

I really dont understand what happened

all timers probably kicked in after the 90s 

:lol: I doubt most are lead or supporting roles or feature films.

Probably a good deal of lowkey indie stuff that might not make it to Sundance or Cannes.

If they are that's most impressive. I don't even think Samuel L has pulled off something like that.

E!’s New Scripted Series Sure Sounds Like a Thinly Veiled Tom Cruise Exposé

By Nate Jones, Vulture

Remember all those stories about Tom Cruise's "wife auditions"? E! does!

The network announced today its second scripted series (after The Royals) would be The Arrangement, a drama about a young actress who finds herself falling for her A-list co-star — only to be presented with a contract arranging the ins and outs of their potential relationship.

And if that wasn't salty enough, our A-lister is under the sway of a mysterious self-help figure, played by Michael Vartan, who runs something called the Institute of the Higher Mind. Yes, that's right: The hot dude from Alias is playing David Miscavige.

The series, which has been picked up for a first season of ten hour-long episodes, will star Christine Evangelista and Josh Henderson — as "Megan Morrison" and "Kyle West," sadly, and not "Hatie Colmes" and "Crom Tooze."

Last edited:
Logan, Weevil, Wallace, Mac, Keith, Lamb, Pizz, Madison, Leo, Meg, ****, etc, never heard or seen any of them, anywhere else, and yet, they all were fantastic.

Interesting fact... guy who played Weevil is this kid

Kazaam-movie-poster-1020271578.jpg

But your long *** post makes me want to go back through the series

Last edited:

dont fall for the hype 
His competition this year isn't as strong as past years imo, I've seen all the oscar nominated movies in the main categories. His oscar is long overdue but I do feel that he deserves it for Revenant this year.

Leo delivered a spectacular performance imo. His performance was anything but basic. To deliver such a gripping, entertaining and captivating performance while barely saying a word is incredibly impressive and definitely oscar-worthy imo.

Hardy did a great job as a supporting actor and he deserves that nomination for best supporting actor but his role is definitely easier to pull off than Leo's role. 

Last edited:
They made a play out of the Stephen King book? With Bruce Willis?? ******* Periscope this to us JRS!
I shoulda bootlegged it :lol:

So it was a pretty good play. Only 90 minutes long. Laurie Metcalf starred as Annie. She was absolutely tremendous. Fantastic job that stole the show. Bruce was pretty one dimensional. Certain times it felt like I was watching Die Hard :lol: but he was good. The play is based more on the movie than the book. And surprisingly it's actually a dark comedy. Like it was pretty funny :lol: Willis was great at the comedy parts and when he was manipulating Annie with sweet talk to lower her guard. It's a cool play definitely recommend it if you're a fan of the book or movie or even Metcalf. She was outstanding.

Don't think I've seen it mentioned on here before so, did anyone catch the X-Files revival shows last week? If so, how were they?

Stephen King: "Art is not a support system for life, life is a support system for art." Ay :pimp:

Cruise has to completely ignore this, right? Because if he says anything against it or, even worse, tries to take some sort of legal action to stop it from airing, he's basically dignifying the content.

Back
Top Bottom