Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

I thought The Watchmen intro with The Times They Are A Changin was kind of safe and predictable. Any 16 year old who is first discovering classic folk and rock from the 60s could have chosen that song for the intro they were going with.

The soundtrack overall is pretty good but many of the songs used were mentioned in the graphic novel so I wasn't too impressed and using Hallelujah during the sex scene is so damn cringey and completely missed the mark.

Cast would be easy even on short notice.

Grab any newbie or run of the mill action director.

What Uptempo said about the script :lol:

I forgot to add these two scenes:
6238805_will-smith-confirms-bad-boys-3-is-coming_t4a5b726b.gif

giphy.gif

Just watched The Good Dinosaur

The Good

• Background visuals are absolutely stunning. The landscape looks like a real life photo.
  • It's short. 93 minute runtime.
The Bad

• The title is stupid and not reflective of the movie in any way.
  • The story is absurd.
  • The character animation is awful. Arlo, the main dinosaur, looks like a cheap plastic blowup toy.
  • No pixar easter eggs (luxo ball, pizza planet truck, A113, etc.)
  • Silly slapstick comedy with no adult humor.

Did not feel like a Pixar feature film. It deserved to bomb at the box office. That dinosaur was an obvious attempt at trying to make an easily mass produced toy on the cheap.

3.9/8
Felt the exact same way. One of Pixar's weakest in my opinion.

I'm not shocked, but reviews for Zoolander 2 are pretty terrible. I was hoping they're at least be mixed or average, but they're bad right now.

And I give Good Dinosaur a pass just because it was clearly subjected to issues in development, production, hence the postponement, and the other problems. I think it was an okay movie, not up to Pixar's lofty standards.. that happened to be a good opportunity for merchandise. Cars 2 was a clear cash grab.. Good Dinosaur was just a missed opportunity. Some things are just perplexing.. the story was off, it wasn't as funny as it needed to be, and the contrast between the dinosaur animation and the environment was distracting.

Last edited:
The premise for this movie is SO absurd but it looks pretty cool.

You take a career criminal and sociopath and then give him the memories of a CIA agent? What is the procedure only a success if you do it on sociopaths? :lol:

Anyway, wasn't ever a Costner fan but I like some of the roles he's taking. Sort of dipping in to that old man is the badass in an action movie genre that Neeson has established :smokin

Looks like they went out of their way to make this way better than the first one. Good thing there's no Kristin Stewart.

I'm not shocked, but reviews for Zoolander 2 are pretty terrible. I was hoping they're at least be mixed or average, but they're bad right now.

Are you talking just critic reviews or is there some viewer reviews out there as well? Because I'm pretty sure the original Zoolander got pretty bad reviews from the critics too. That's part of the reason it wasn't that big a success at the box office originally. So, when it comes to Z2, I'm not going to let bad critic reviews trouble me too much.

yea.. certain movies just aren't going do well with critics..

like I'm pretty sure the first anchorman got horrible reviews.. probably a bunch of the other great manchild comedy movies too (wedding crashers, old school, the hangover, etc.)

I think critics are the worst with comedies.

Certain humor they don't get or just hate.

I hear Sacha Baron Cohen's Brother's Grimsby got more of his trademark nsfw comedy that I know critics are gonna just bash to no end :lol:

Last edited:
Critics do tend to review comedies worse.. Anchorman and Zoolander both got 65% on RT or something like that.. so I take that as a more positive review than the % lets on.

But if it's getting like 20-30%.. then that's more cause for concern.

Critics do tend to review comedies worse.. Anchorman and Zoolander both got 65% on RT or something like that.. so I take that as a more positive review than the % lets on.

But if it's getting like 20-30%.. then that's more cause for concern.

Zoolander 2 has a "metascore" on IMDB of 55%, while the first one has 65%. Supports what I'm guessing will be the case - not as good as 1, but nevertheless with some solid laughs throughout.

The first Zoolander also came out like 2 weeks after 9/11 so I'm sure that might have effected its performance and reception

Chi Raq is one of the worst movies I've seen in years. Absolute trash. What a waste. I still love Teyonah Parris. Something about her been driving me crazy for years.

Will check Deadpool and Zealander next week.

That Criminal movie looks outstanding. :wow:

Reynolds, Costner, Jones, Gadot, Oldman, Alive Eve, Antje Traue, God damn.

Watched Babel for the first time today. Was pretty disappointed. The acting was phenomenal though. I'll give it that.

Chi Raq is one of the worst movies I've seen in years. Absolute trash. What a waste. I still love Teyonah Parris. Something about her been driving me crazy for years.

Has Spike completely lost his touch? Seems like he hasn't had a good movie, aside from a couple docs, in ages.

Has Spike completely lost his touch? Seems like he hasn't had a good movie, aside from a couple docs, in ages.

Last movie that really REALLY felt like a spike lee film was 25th hour back in 2002. Inside man was good but it didn't have that Lee vibe to it at all.

Which makes me wonder...........has there ever been a directer to make absolute trash movies for a decade or so and then turn it all around and return to glory? To me it seems that as soon as they make 2 strange flops, it's a wrap. M. Knight Shaymalan, Francis Ford Coppala. Does anybody remember the Director of Leon the Professional? Luc something. He made that movie, the fifth element, a La Femme Nakita movie, then started making straight to DVD Arthur movies and we haven't seen him since. It's like once you **** up, you never get right haha. Tarantino came REAL damn close with Grindhouse/whatever garbage :rofl: :rofl:

So, we all in on Vinyl this Sunday? I'm pretty excited about it personally. I'm just kind of into the old rock music scene generally and with Scorcese and Winter involved, think it has to be good. Plus, the early reviews I've seen are all very favorable. Low key hyped about finally getting another show that I like.

So, we all in on Vinyl this Sunday? I'm pretty excited about it personally. I'm just kind of into the old rock music scene generally and with Scorcese and Winter involved, think it has to be good. Plus, the early reviews I've seen are all very favorable. Low key hyped about finally getting another show that I like.

http://niketalk.com/t/633392/hbo-vinyl-season-1-thread-vol-2hr-series-premiere-2-14-2016

A few of us are also ready... to... rock

Nice, did not know the premiere was already upon us.

I think they did a great job w/ casting Gyp Rosetti as the main character.

That guy does a great job of showing extreme emotions & seeing as the show is based on rock n roll & that whole scene...

I foresee another Emmy in Gyp's future :smokin

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom