Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Mad Max > the entire Fast and Furious franchise
7 movies, 0 participation awards 

Last edited:
Kinda making my point.

Fast and Furious, fun, worth the ticket. No one asks for "Best Picture".

Star Wars, fun, worth the ticket. No one asks for " Best Picture".

John Wick, fun, worth the ticket. No one asks for "Best Picture".

Winter Soldier, Jurrasic World, etc etc etc.

The hype over Mad Max: The search for water, found in the place they started driving to begin with, to get Oscar love was hilarious.

Fans of those other franchises weren't beggin for best pictures, or best directors, or any other garbage, they simply loved their films and kept it movin.

"Movie of the year". If it was the only movie you saw all year, yeah. :lol:

Kinda making my point.

The hype over Mad Max: The search for water, found in the place they started driving to begin with, to get Oscar love was hilarious.

Fans of those other franchises weren't beggin for best pictures, or best directors, or any other garbage, they simply loved their films and kept it movin.

"Movie of the year". If it was the only movie you saw all year, yeah.
laugh.gif
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was for sure the most fun I've had at the movies this year and it was the best reviewed movie of 2015. That's saying something for a franchise that is almost 40 years old. Not taking anything away from Spotlight, I enjoyed that too. Just would have liked to see Fury Road win the big one.

damn I guess Michael Keaton likes to play roles where he's a journalist at a news tabloid. Just saw a random *** movie called The Paper. Movie was actually pretty good :lol: got a good cast too

Keaton, Duvall, Tomei, Glenn Close

Kinda making my point.

Man, we get that you didn't like it. I can even understand your argument that its not the kind of movie that should be up for best picture. But please stop acting like the rest of us are crazy for thinking it was a really good movie. I'd say its my favorite film of 2015 and I saw plenty of others.

Also, I want to take a minute to give props to Mark Ruffalo. He's not a guy whose name immediately comes to mind when I'm thinking of big stars - at least for me - but his resume is pretty damn legit. And he's one of those guys who can bounce back-and-forth between franchise, popcorn type flicks and more indie stuff without a hitch. Very solid actor.

Mad max is a technically perfect film. Why shouldn't it get nominated for best picture?

I'll let CP answer that since I'm fine with Mad Max being nominated for Best Picture. I just said I would entertain his argument that it shouldn't have been.

I don't think I've disagreed with cp more on movies than with mad max and man of steel

Kinda making my point.

Good point. That's more direct.

I kinda ignored it but going against the grain critics pretending Mad Max deserved best director or best picture was silly.

If this was a stronger year for films, it'd be a joke for it to get nominated. Similar to a slow year when Depp got nominated for Jack Sparrow.
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was for sure the most fun I've had at the movies this year and it was the best reviewed movie of 2015. That's saying something for a franchise that is almost 40 years old. Not taking anything away from Spotlight, I enjoyed that too. Just would have liked to see Fury Road win the big one.
It's not a 40 year old franchise in the sense they've been making sequels and progressing some story.

It's a remake from 40 years later. In a time where everything has advanced to give you better visuals, sounds, etc. Pretty much the same thing with how ppl view Creed being really well done. It's a bit of a Rocky remake with a black guy.
Mad max is a technically perfect film. Why shouldn't it get nominated for best picture?
You keep saying this but it doesn't sound impressive at all.

If we described more movies as technically ______ they'd get snubbed more :lol:

Last edited:
Return of the King had a more fleshed out story obviously but it was also one of the best technical films visually and sound wise, it actually won Best Picture. And the year before Two Towers was nominated as well. Like others have said it's by far the most entertaining movie I saw last year, have no problem with a nomination because of how weak last year was overall.

its technically perfect AND the most entertaining action movie in years

how is that not impressive?

it just won 6 oscars last night 
laugh.gif

is the best picture not rewarded to the BEST picture? 

Are you listening C CP1708 , these videos are speaking to your exact mindset. Watch them both, then go re-watch Mad max.

Saying you like crappy movies because they are crappy and fun is one thing. I get it. I like plenty of crappy movies but I would never say that Shawshank redemption didn't deserve an Oscar nomination because I liked the movie Mighty Ducks 2. "But D2 was fun and worth the ticket." What the hell does that have to do with how well made or entertaining Shawshank Redemption was? Are you seriously jealous that movie with a car chase scene in it is getting critical acclaim, while your favorite franchise based on car chase scenes will never be taken seriously? Mad Max is fun even if you couldn't care less about technical aspects of film making. It's also brilliant if you do care about those pesky things like film editing, set design, choreography, action scenes, kick-assery, etc.

You keep saying technically perfect.

I don't get it. When you phrase it like that it means nothing to me :lol:

Calling it the most entertaining action movie in years is a more lofty impressive label but I wouldn't agree with that at all. It was a very entertaining action flick but so was John Wick.

The awards it won is irrelevant to what I'm talking about. Winning for best costume design don't got much to do with it being hyped and deserving of best picture. I'm not even talking about you specifically, but I remember the links and critics acting like that movie deserved to win. It didn't.

Kinda making my point.

Man, we get that you didn't like it. I can even understand your argument that its not the kind of movie that should be up for best picture. But please stop acting like the rest of us are crazy for thinking it was a really good movie. I'd say its my favorite film of 2015 and I saw plenty of others.

But I did like it. The movie is fine, it's just not an Oscar winning film. It's a "Hollywood" "Blockbuster" film. I liked it for what it was, not even close to tryin to make it something it wasn't.

Technically perfect film is not a thing. You can say just about any movie is "technically perfect" This post by me is technically perfect. :lol:

Return of the King had a more fleshed out story obviously but it was also one of the best technical films visually and sound wise, it actually won Best Picture. And the year before Two Towers was nominated as well. Like others have said it's by far the most entertaining movie I saw last year, have no problem with a nomination because of how weak last year was overall.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sicario
Ex Machina
The Hateful Eight
Carol
Creed
Jobs

All could have EASILY slid into Mad Max's slot, and it wouldn't matter anyway, because The Big Short, Spotlight, and The Revenant were all better films and deserved the award.

I don't get it. When you phrase it like that it means nothing to me
laugh.gif

Calling it the most entertaining action movie in years is a more lofty impressive label but I wouldn't agree with that at all. It was a very entertaining action flick but so was John Wick.

The awards it won is irrelevant to what I'm talking about. Winning for best costume design don't got much to do with it being hyped and deserving of best picture. I'm not even talking about you specifically, but I remember the links and critics acting like that movie deserved to win. It didn't.
lets rephrase the question

why is spotlight worthy of BP but mad max isnt? 

Are you listening C CP1708 , these videos are speaking to your exact mindset. Watch them both, then go re-watch Mad max.

Saying you like crappy movies because they are crappy and fun is one thing. I get it. I like plenty of crappy movies but I would never say that Shawshank redemption didn't deserve an Oscar nomination because I liked the movie Mighty Ducks 2. "But D2 was fun and worth the ticket." What the hell does that have to do with how well made or entertaining Shawshank Redemption was? Are you seriously jealous that movie with a car chase scene in it is getting critical acclaim, while your favorite franchise based on car chase scenes will never be taken seriously? Mad Max is fun even if you couldn't care less about technical aspects of film making. It's also brilliant if you do care about those pesky things like film editing, set design, choreography, action scenes, kick-assery, etc.
The thing here is in this metaphor/comparison, Mad Max would be aligned with Mighty Ducks 2 not Shawshank.

Last edited:

I don't get it. When you phrase it like that it means nothing to me :lol:

lets rephrase the question

why is spotlight worthy of BP but mad max isnt? 
Great acting, great story, well directed. The way the story was told was pretty powerful especially given they're covering something we all generally knew about.

I wouldn't say it was "technically" anything :lol:

Last edited:
But I did like it. The movie is fine, it's just not an Oscar winning film. It's a "Hollywood" "Blockbuster" film. I liked it for what it was, not even close to tryin to make it something it wasn't.

OK, my mistake. I guess I got thrown off by you referring to Mad Max as "garbage" and "trash" in here and on Twitter. Normally those words are used when someone does not care for something. My bad for misinterpreting. :lol:

Technically perfect film is not a thing. You can say just about any movie is "technically perfect" This post by me is technically perfect. :lol:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sicario
Ex Machina
The Hateful Eight
Carol
Creed
Jobs

All could have EASILY slid into Mad Max's slot, and it wouldn't matter anyway, because The Big Short, Spotlight, and The Revenant were all better films and deserved the award.

Ex Machina was great. Hateful 8 was ok. Creed was bad and I really have no desire to watch a movie about Steve Jobs. I'm checking out Sicaro soon.

film is a language just like any writen and spoken language, and there are rules to the language of film

most people dont understand the technical aspect of film, to them its just "i enjoyed that" or "I didnt enjoy that" but when you break it down different shots imply different things, camera movement needs to be efficient in the flow of the story, sound needs to be mixed properly, set and costume design can make or break a movie, cgi needs to be on point, ect...

all these things are the technical aspects that go into making a film good, the very fundamentals of filmmaking. 

Back
Top Bottom