Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

I'm not sure what made me watch this last night skimming through Netflix, and I'm not mad that I did.. but man I still feel gut-wrenched hours later :frown: .

Excellent movie film with the strongest of undertones. My heart sank the whole 1hr30.

The signs were there, but man, I really didn't expect Bruno to perish as well. I thought in the least he would go back to Shumel that morning to not see him there; he would have been summoned to the gas chambers before Bruno made his way over. I didn't think he would get caught up in it all. Vera Farmiga was damn good too, you felt her pain from the jump, and that the end what she realized what happened... :smh:
Loved & hated that movie at the same damn time :smh:

Heart felt showcase of the innate, beautiful innocence & naivity that is childhood.

I really thought his papa would make it in time to save him (maybe even them) :frown:

Last edited:

I'm not sure what made me watch this last night skimming through Netflix, and I'm not mad that I did.. but man I still feel gut-wrenched hours later :frown: .

Excellent movie film with the strongest of undertones. My heart sank the whole 1hr30.

The signs were there, but man, I really didn't expect Bruno to perish as well. I thought in the least he would go back to Shumel that morning to not see him there; he would have been summoned to the gas chambers before Bruno made his way over. I didn't think he would get caught up in it all. Vera Farmiga was damn good too, you felt her pain from the jump, and that the end what she realized what happened... :smh:
Loved & hated that movie at the same damn time :smh:

Heart felt showcase of the innate, beautiful innocence & naivity that is childhood.

I really thought his papa would make it in time to save him (maybe even them) :frown:

My girl fell asleep towards the end, and I'm glad she did. She would have been a mess if she saw the film unfold.

I explained to her what she missed, and she had a theory of perhaps Shumel knew what he was doing because of how Bruno let him get his eye beat in. I don't think that was the case at all tho. You hit it on the head with innocence of childhood. Bro when they held hands inside my jaw dropped.

My predictions from the Oscars thread  http://niketalk.com/t/642817/2016-a...nced-today-february-28th/520_20#post_25299593

I'm bummed I'm going to miss the first 30 minutes probably so I won't catch Rock's opening monologue.

My Should Win - Will Win Picks

Best Picture

Should Win - Three way toss up between Spotlight, The Revenant, and The Big Short. I can't remember the last time I had 3 movies where I all felt they were deserving of winning best picture. Spotlight took a heinous crime and let the investigation tell the whole story. No exaggeration, no excessive dramatization, no tricks or elaborate stylistic choices.. just cold hard storytelling. It was the opposite of The Big Short, but that's not a bad thing. The Big Short took an elaborate, complex, and confusing topic, and using 4th wall breaking, high pace and frantic editing, made that story come alive in an interesting and exciting way. Both choices worked for the films in their own way.. Spotlight was a sensitive story that needed a delicate approach, and the way the investigation unfolds grips you and keeps your attention throughout. The Big Short was funny, fast paced, and entertaining while covering the shady and complex details of the financial crisis.

Will Win - But that leads us to the will win and that's The Revenant. I don't think it's a surefire lock.. and I'll expect The Big Short to be the one to win if not for The Revenant, but that's my pick. I said at first I wasn't blown away by it, even though I acknowledge the high quality all around. I'm rewatching it now and I definitely can see all of the hype. I love Luzbeki's cinematography, Inarritu's direction is top notch yet again, and of course, Leo and Hardy knock it out of the park. Maybe the story is simpler, but that's not a knock on it. I don't like rewarding Best Picture to those who have the most important or relevant topic, so I have no problem if the best picture of the year is a simple tale of revenge and struggle over the Catholic Church or the financial crisis. It's got incredible directing, cinematography, acting, and storytelling. Maybe not the strongest dialogue or script, but it wasn't needed.

Honorable Mentions - This was a really strong year to me.. I would love but don't expect for Fury Road to win as well. Seeing a blockbuster action movie capture the hearts of so many people, critics included, is a great thing to see. Likewise, many found it to be "okay but nothing special" but I really loved The Martian. Both movies managed to be great movies that happened to be entertaining and enjoyable in a way most Oscar nominees aren't. They're crowd pleasing blockbusters, but they're also incredibly high quality and great examples of excellent filmmaking. 

Overlooked  - Creed was one of the best movies of the year to me. I'm not surprised or disappointed it wasn't nominated, but it had everything I would want out of a top movie. I absolutely loved it.

Best Director  

Should Win  - A toss up between Inarritu and Miller to me. Both are deserving this year and I'd be happier with Miller winning since The Revenant will likely win Best Picture

Will Win  - Inarritu

Best Actor

Should/Will Win  - Leonardo DiCaprio. Go home people, it's happening and it's deserved. Fassbender would be a worthy choice, but too many things lined up for Leo this year. 

Overlooked  - Samuel L. Jackson in The Hateful Eight.

Best Actress

Should/Will Win - Brie Larson. She was incredible in The Room. I had high hopes when I saw the trailer and she was great in Short Term 12, but I don't know if I expected her to be that good. Another easy choice to me, she was incredible.

Honorable Mention  - Cate Blanchett. Another great performance by her and my 2nd favorite choice of the year.

Best Supporting Actor:

Should Win/Will Win - Sly Stallone. Maybe it's a little too much of a storybook win, but I don't care.. he deserves it. He was outstanding in Creed and despite the potentially cheesy nature of the "Rocky gets sick" story.. he knocks it out of the park with a genuine and honest performance. If I were being honest, Ruffalo was probably better.. but if I was a voter, I'd give it to Stallone. He made us care about a 40 year old, iconic movie character again. All I want is him to climb up the stairs and pump his fist like Rocky did.. or yell out Yo Adrian and I'll feel oddly happy.

Honorable Mention - Ruffalo kills it. In a great ensemble cast, he stands out and shines. His dedication, passion, and rage, is felt throughout the movie. He would be a much deserving winner, along with Mark Rylance, but Stallone's got it in the bag.

Best Supporting Actress

Should/Will Win  - Alicia Vikander. She was incredible in The Danish Girl and seems to be the biggest stand out performance from the group.

Honorable Mention  - Rooney Mara was also excellent and understated in her peformance.

Best Original Screenplay  - Should/Will Win - Spotlight

Best Adapted Screenplay -  Should/Will Win - THe Big Short

Best Cinematography  - It almost has to be Lubezkin even though I'd love for Deakins to finally win one.

Yo, 4 episodes in & I love Love so far.

You papis are always coming through with the recommendations :smokin

Mickey, you sexy slob, you :wow:

Last edited:
I've been holding off on Love.

There about to be an overload of shows like that. Super realistic but just off kilter and plain good.

Starting ep 8 and I'm actually starting to resent Mickey.
She's relatable most times but sometimes she's just a little over the top slob and unnecessarily too rude. It's irritating at times.

Although, I can admire a show that doesn't have its characters do the predictable things in corny romantic shows.
She's definitely unique, and realistic.

But sometimes...eh. I wish she would be a TAD BIT toned down with the crazy rude act. I get it's what makes her who she is, and I'm sure there's a purpose to it, but as a viewer it almost makes me wanna STOP binging and I don't feel that way very often.

Like its respectable to keep it real and be blunt, that's cool, no bs type personality I get it. But you can go about getting your opinions out a little more respectfully especially to someone being so over the top nice to you :rolleyes

...and don't even get me started on Gus :x

Last edited:
Just watched all of Inglorious Basterds for the first time...mad at myself for waiting so long

Hell, I'M mad at you for waiting so long.

Movie is the GOOODS.

"This just might be my masterpiece."

Yes, yes indeed. 
pimp.gif

Episode of Togetherness tonight was so real breh
Watching it now. I really dig this show. Alex's new boo is kinda sexy. Amanda Peet's character is dope AF too. Been in love with her since Somethings Gotta Give. She has the best mouth, and laugh.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom