Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Still got a bunch of blindspots like Lincoln...Cloud Atlas...Holy Motors...Beasts...Zero...Bernie...Rust and Bone.

But my favs would probably include Django, End of Watch, Argo, The Raid and Cabin in the Woods.

I need to watch Looper and Hunger Games again, though.

best comedies of the year that are now out on DVD?
Mannnn...it's like there weren't any comedies this year except 21 Jump Street and Ted. :smh: :lol:

Last edited:
Pedo status on swole...but I would smash Chloe moretz(sp?) watching Dark Shadows right now and had to post that

Don't eemm care haha
If you want to get technical, it wouldn't be pedo since she's already hit puberty and is a teenager in that movie.

Top Ten in no particular order

The Dark Knight Rises

Skyfall

21 Jump Street

Safety Not Guaranteed

Lawless

Avengers

Lincoln

Argo

Moonrise Kingdom

Django Unchained

Honorable Mentions

Seven Psychopaths

Looper

Movies I didn't get to see  that I will

The Master

Les Miserables

Silver Linings Playbook

Flight

Life of Pi

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Killing Them Softly 

I'll assume The Master and Silver Linings will both be a top ten movie for me, probably bumping out Safety Not Guarenteed and Lawless

Last edited:

Last edited:
so that im getting the gist of this thread , this is no longer about sport related movies?

if so

saw django on christmas , real dope movie , hilarious whole way through , tarentino's dialogue 

fell right into waltz's wheelhouse , leonardo did great .....the mask scene on the horses was hilarious 

as was most of the dialogue between leonardo and samuel L jackson who played a real life rukus from

boondocks , AMAZING chemistry between those two

with that said the run time was WAY.TOO.MUCH , woulda been a amazing move at about 1 hour 54 minutes ,

but that runtime ruins almost all replay value for me.

caugh flight last week , and denzel was brilliant but his range isnt even in the same ballpark as daniel day lewis , 

you watch my left foot , there will be blood and lincoln back to back and your mind might blow up

hand that man his third oscar

If you get the time, write that up Dirk. I know you were one of the ones that read the script when it was bein circulated.

[quote name="CASH MONEY 1999"]denzel was brilliant but his range isnt even in the same ballpark as daniel day lewis , 

you watch my left foot , there will be blood and lincoln back to back and your mind might blow up[/quote] I feel the same way about Glory, John Q, Training Day, and Flight. Or Antwone Fisher vs. American Gangster.

[quote name="CASH MONEY 1999"]denzel was brilliant but his range isnt even in the same ballpark as daniel day lewis , 

you watch my left foot , there will be blood and lincoln back to back and your mind might blow up
I feel the same way about Glory, John Q, Training Day, and Flight. Or Antwone Fisher vs. American Gangster.[/quote]

Damn. Dub, put me onto My Left Foot, but I forgot about it.

I think a part of what holds Denzel back sometimes is that he's Denzel Washington. He's the black actor. And he loves his craft, so he's steady working. And he's never above an 80s B-movie type of role. And he really loves playing the everyman. He's such a star that you almost can't see past, hey there's Denzel talking a little different. Denzel's pretending he's broke, that's cool. I wonder if Denzel's gonna say 'my man' soon. You better not **** with Coach Denzel. It's like the best Jay Pharoah impersonation ever.

Whereas Daniel Day-Lewis isn't a celebrity. He climbs into his cave and comes back out as a different human being for a couple months, so that people can film it and call it an 'acting role.' Then he goes away again.

He's the perfect actor. And some of that is because he brings no baggage, pre-conceived notions or expected/overexposed mannerisms to his roles.

:lol: That's the perfect explanation of it for me, O... EVERYTHING Denzel does, even if it is a different role, I can't get past "Oh, it's Denzel!" ... It all feels the same because it's Denzel. Different accent, good guy/bad guy, coach/drug dealer, whatever... It always just feels like Denzel for me. I struggle getting last it, as good as he often is.

DDL is a league of his own entirely.

Here's what I saw in 2012..

The Devil Inside (January 6th)
Chronicle (February 3rd)
The Hunger Games (March 23rd)
The Raid: Redemption (March 23rd)
American Reunion (April 6th)
The Cabin in the Woods (April 13th)
The Avengers (May 4th)
Men In Black 3 (May 25th)
Prometheus (June 8th)
Ted (June 29th)
The Amazing Spider-Man (July 3rd)
The Dark Knight Rises (July 20th)
Hope Springs (August 8th)
The Campaign (August 10th)
The Expendables 2 (August 17th)
The Possession (August 31st)
Looper (September 28th)
Argo (Ocotber 12th)
Sinister (October 12th)
Skyfall (October 26th)
Wreck-It Ralph (November 2nd)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (December 14th)
This is 40 (December 21st)
Django Unchained (December 25th)

If I had to make a Top-10...

The Raid: Redemption
Wreck-It Ralph
The Avengers
Prometheus
Looper
Django Unchained
The Dark Knight Rises
Skyfall
The Cabin in the Woods
Argo

And commenting on the top 5.

Django was excellent, and everything I wanted from it, but there wasn't anything there put it over the top and made it better than what I expected. I had the same expectations going into Iglourious Basterds, but I felt like it was better than I was hoping for. I loved Django, and other than Cabin/Avengers it might've been my favorite theatrical experience of the year, but it didn't go above and beyond to make it my favorite of the year. The pacing was great though, one of the weakpoints I thought of IB.

The Dark Knight Rises moved me to tears, and I actually liked Bane as much as The Joker (one of the few who thought so). This might've been ranked higher if the other films didn't blow me away as much as they did. TDKR isn't higher because I knew it was going to be great, and I loved what they did with it, and may enjoy it more than TDK. Bale, Caine, Hardy, Hathaway all left me with my jaw on the floor, and the ending was a perfect way to end it IMO. It was the film that I was the most emotionally invested in, and the payoff at the end was excellent.

Skyfall is ranked so high for me because I had little-to-no expectations going into Skyfall, but after seeing it I was enthralled with the lore of James Bond. Javier was such an excellent villain and there were some true moments of tension that I hadn't felt in a Bond film before. If Bond films continue to go on like this, I'll be very happy. It was a great entry to a slacking series of films.

The Cabin in the Woods was such a refreshing and revitalizing shock to the horror genre that it goes this high for me. I know no one else will call Cabin their second favorite film of the year, but for me, it was that good. I went in not knowing anything of the film, and ended scratching my head not realizing how awesome this was going to be. It was humorous, it was smart, and it was innovative. The tone sold the film for me, and I just hope that The Evil Dead remake next year is half as good as this was.

Argo takes the cake for me. I'm a sucker for period pieces, and Affleck has done it again. The Town was great, Argo was amazing. I felt like not only I was watching a 70s film, I felt like I was in the 70s. Not to mention being the most tense film of the entire year, it was just excellently paced, and it's even better when you didn't know about the incident and it hits you over the head with non-stop apprehension. I'm not sure if many other feels this way, but Argo just took me to a place where I want to be in films, like I'm right in the middle of it.

Last edited:
:lol: That's the perfect explanation of it for me, O... EVERYTHING Denzel does, even if it is a different role, I can't get past "Oh, it's Denzel!" ... It all feels the same because it's Denzel. Different accent, good guy/bad guy, coach/drug dealer, whatever... It always just feels like Denzel for me. I struggle getting last it, as good as he often is.
DDL is a league of his own entirely.

Malcolm X, Philadelphia, The Pelican Brief, He Got Game, Remember the Titans, Training Day, all feel like Denzel.

Damn. Dub, put me onto My Left Foot, but I forgot about it.
I think a part of what holds Denzel back sometimes is that he's Denzel Washington. He's the black actor. And he loves his craft, so he's steady working. And he's never above an 80s B-movie type of role. And he really loves playing the everyman. He's such a star that you almost can't see past, hey there's Denzel talking a little different. Denzel's pretending he's broke, that's cool. I wonder if Denzel's gonna say 'my man' soon. You better not **** with Coach Denzel. It's like the best Jay Pharoah impersonation ever.
Whereas Daniel Day-Lewis isn't a celebrity. He climbs into his cave and comes back out as a different human being for a couple months, so that people can film it and call it an 'acting role.' Then he goes away again.
He's the perfect actor. And some of that is because he brings no baggage, pre-conceived notions or expected/overexposed mannerisms to his roles.
had to rep 
pimp.gif

denzel's persona and celebrity has taken on a life of it's own

You know what...**** it.
I'll take you up on that and check it out. :lol:
What's the worst that could happen?....This Means War?
Been there. :lol:

:lol: I promise you it's worth the time to watch it. I was hysterical throughout. Sandler was awesome, and the supporting cast really made the movie what it was.

If you are a sucker for Will Ferrell like I am, I forgot to mention The Campaign. Low-key underrated, again, only if you are into Ferrell's style. I know a lot of people aren't.

hand that man his third oscar

I was put onto My Left Foot earlier this year, and it's probably hands down the best acting I have ever seen. DDL, and even the child version of Christy, were exceptional.

With Lincoln, he literally transformed into the man himself. Most definitely feel he deserves the Oscar.

Anyone else really looking forward to this years Oscars? I haven't been this interested in years.

My girlfriend got me the Bond box set on BD for Christmas, JA... It is :wow:

Yeah man I got the same set for Christmas. It is beautiful. Probably one of the best sets out there right now.

I also got the Indiana Jones set, and the Extended Edition of the Dragon Tattoo trilogy.

Birthday tomorrow, maybe I'll get a few more. :nerd:

Damn that Denzel post was spot on. Now that I think about it...that's crazy haha. Every movie he does, you see him as Denzel. Not the character he is. Mind blown haha

[quote name="macbk"]If you are a sucker for Will Ferrell like I am, I forgot to mention The Campaign. Low-key underrated, again, only if you are into Ferrell's style. I know a lot of people aren't.[/quote] I can't stand Will Ferrell's style; definitely not a fan. But The Campaign was hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom