Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

foreign film fans, which Godard movie do you recommend?

i've only seen a bout de souffle.  I can't decide which to see next, Le Mepris, Weekend or Pierrot le fou.

or maybe y'all have another one in mind..

[quote name="franc"][QUOTE name="CP"]
Trilogy from what I've read. (Everything is nowadays)[/QUOTE]thanks.

im debating if i should read the book.[/quote]If you liked it, then definitely read the book. The book is infinitely better than the movie.

Infinitely.

The movie is simply a Hollywood facsimile of the awesome story found in the book.

(anytime anyone in the future asks about a movie based on a book, if there's anyone who might find it convenient to copy and paste this reply, by all means)

If you liked it, then definitely read the book. The book is infinitely better than the movie.

Infinitely.

The movie is simply a Hollywood facsimile of the awesome story found in the book.

(anytime anyone in the future asks about a movie based on a book, if there's anyone who might find it convenient to copy and paste this reply, by all means)

This is really a sore subject for you, isn't it?

[quote name="lawdog1"][quote name="DarthSka"]
If you liked it, then definitely read the book. The book is infinitely better than the movie.

Infinitely.

(anytime anyone in the future asks about a movie based on a book, if there's anyone who might find it convenient to copy and paste this reply, by all means)[/quote]

This is really a sore subject for you, isn't it?[/quote] not really a sore subject, I don't think.:lol: I mean, there are about a million and one things that I have grown very cynical towards and consequentially, I tend to be very sarcastic about, and this is one of them. If that defines sore subject, then... absolutely. Yes it is. :lol:... :\

A lot of times book is better than movie cuz of all the extra details and how things would look according to your imagination. If you read the book first you'll be expecting something when you hear about the movie and more times than not the movie won't match your expectations based off your imagination.

If it's comics though that's usually cuz the movie does not follow it page for page (not that it's an obligation) and usually adds or subtracts things to the movie which aren't always good decisions.

Totally a sore subject for you Ska :lol: I'm not really sure Hollywood makes it a habit to adapt books that are piss poor in to movies. If they did then I'd think we'd start seeing the opposite of what appears to be a rule.

[quote name="xBuddha Blessx"]A lot of times 137% of the time the book is better than movie cuz of all the extra details and how things would look according to your imagination. If you read the book first you'll be expecting something when you hear about the movie and more times than not the movie won't match your expectations based off your imagination.

If it's comics though that's usually cuz the movie does not follow it page for page (not that it's an obligation) and usually adds or subtracts things to the movie which aren't always good decisions.

Totally a sore subject for you Ska :lol: I'm not really sure Hollywood makes it a habit to adapt books that are piss poor in to movies. If they did then I'd think we'd start seeing the opposite of what appears to be a rule.
[/quote]Fixed. :lol:

I mean, it really is to the point where I wonder if a person who asks that question has ever asked that question before... ever. Because it's the same answer, almost every time. :lol:

I've sat and observed people having this conversation before and thought to myself "Is that really all there is to it? is the whole point of the discussion simply to say what everybody knows is already going to be said?"

" so I read the book and really liked it. Should I go see the movie?
"Oh, probably not. If you do, just know that the movie is definitely nowhere near as good as the book."
"Cool, thanks."

and I'm sitting there eavesdropping thinking "Really? That was enlightening? You didn't expect that response before you asked?" :lol:

Oblivion had a ****** up twist
pimp.gif
I was disappointed by it, same concept/ending as Moon (2009)

but the last foregin filmed I liked was The Intouchables

[quote name="xBuddha Blessx"]A lot of times 137% of the time the book is better than movie cuz of all the extra details and how things would look according to your imagination. If you read the book first you'll be expecting something when you hear about the movie and more times than not the movie won't match your expectations based off your imagination.

Fixed. :lol:

I mean, it really is to the point where I wonder if a person who asks that question has ever asked that question before... ever. Because it's the same answer, almost every time. :lol:

I've sat and observed people having this conversation before and thought to myself "Is that really all there is to it? is the whole point of the discussion simply to say what everybody knows is already going to be said?"

" so I read the book and really liked it. Should I go see the movie?
"Oh, probably not. If you do, just know that the movie is definitely nowhere near as good as the book."
"Cool, thanks."

and I'm sitting there eavesdropping thinking "Really? That was enlightening? You didn't expect that response before you asked?" :lol:[/quote]I don't agree with that second part. Some movies do the book justice. Not 100% as good but if the question is I read the book should I go see the movie. Most times ppl say yes. It's only when ppl ask which was better you constantly get the book was better.

I haven't come across one book reader of GoT that told me not to watch the show because the book is better.
Oblivion had a ****** up twist :pimp:
I was disappointed by it, same concept/ending as Moon (2009)

but the last foregin filmed I liked was The Intouchables
I never saw Moon so the twist was new to me (I'm talking about finding out Jack was one of thousands of clones). I was expecting things to wrap up one way and then they bring in clones. That caught me all the way off guard. I knew the story was a lie but not that much of a lie. Can't help but like the big bad manipulating the masses on such a level.

Last edited:
i've only seen a bout de souffle.  I can't decide which to see next, Le Mepris, Weekend or Pierrot le fou.

Since you've seen Breathless, I'd say Le Mepris, then Bande a part

I'd go Contempt, then Pierrot le Fou, then Weekend, so you can chart his evolution as a director. I haven't see stuff like Band of Outsiders or Alphaville or A Woman Is a Woman, but I've heard good things about them, so you can give those a try.

I have a hard time believing Lord of the Rings was better in book form.

137% may need to be reduced to 114% or somethin.

I have a hard time believing Lord of the Rings was better in book form.

137% may need to be reduced to 114% or somethin.

Plus, there's been other examples given in this thread of movies that are regarded as equal to the books--Godfather, Shawshank, etc. So, I'd drop the percentage down to 99 or so.

What's better than Apocalypse Now? Apocalypse Now Redux :smokin Longer, better, uncut dopeness.

Brando
Sheen
Fishburne
Duvall

Good enough that you completely become engrossed in this feeling that it's the end of the world and most war movies don't do that for me.

Coppola :pimp:

only reason some movies would be better is when both have to be damn near perfect works of art but movies get the upper hand strictly because it offers the visual point people want while both get the story down.

great story + visuals > great story + anybodys different imagination from anothers

only reason some movies would be better is when both have to be damn near perfect works of art but movies get the upper hand strictly because it offers the visual point people want while both get the story down.

great story + visuals > great story + anybodys different imagination from anothers

A movie provides a standardized visual that people can view and share with each other. Problem is that it is a limited view of the story and based on the interpretation of the director (although people can still have their own interpretations of the film itself.)

A book is limitless with its interpretations and each person has their own unique version of the story that uses imagination as the vehicle to visualizing the story. With this, everything varies and many people may not be able to agree or see what another does.

Nothing can beat the original, no matter how great it is. Usually the original piece of work is the book so it's only natural that the book tends to be better.

Last edited:
Fight Club the movie was better than the book. The novel was awesome but I liked the movie ending better giving the film the nudge.

Fight Club the movie was better than the book. The novel was awesome but I liked the movie ending better giving the film the nudge.
I watched fight club years before I read the book.

I think that the book is better.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
i have yet to watch a movie that has been better than the book, only reason i bothered watching the harry potter movies was to see how the magical things looked "in real life"

^Agreed it never comes out how I pictured it in my head

And those marvel movies I don't even understand why they have to change the books

Pisses me off almost everytime the only ones that stayed close to the books were Avengers and The Hulk

I think The Devil In The White City will be better than the book. So many architectural details that are cool to know, but won't be necessary for the movie.

What on earth are you guys talking about?!?! There are been a ton of great movies that did the books they were based on proud - The Godfather, Shawshank, Joy Luck Club, Lord of the Rings, Schindler's List, Hunt for Red October, Good Fellas, The Bridge of the River Kwai, Dances with Wolves, Childen of Men, Memento, The Matt Damon Bourne movies, The Color Purple... Got damn, the list goes on & on... :smh:

Last edited:
My particular gripe is with marvel most of the stuff you named

I saw before I even knew it was a book

But I feel what you saying

Back
Top Bottom