on average how many hours do you work a week?

Originally Posted by remix

50-70 hate it too

tired.gif

Originally Posted by Dmvbatman

Originally Posted by wcghost

a week?
eek.gif
eek.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
my friend's brother in investment banking (forgot the firm, but its in NYC) works 120 hours a week. Dude hates his life but that's $300K+. NO BS.
sick.gif

funny thing was, he wasn't even a business major either; he was an engineering/computer science major.

that can't be possible.
It is. I know that Lazard's Real Estate group puts in around that. Around 100 even when it's slow. It's also one of the hardest IB groups to get into out of undergrad. 

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by wcghost

my friend's brother in investment banking (forgot the firm, but its in NYC) works 120 hours a week. Dude hates his life but that's $300K+. NO BS.
sick.gif

funny thing was, he wasn't even a business major either; he was an engineering/computer science major.

that can't be possible.
It is. I know that Lazard's Real Estate group puts in around that. Around 100 even when it's slow. It's also one of the hardest IB groups to get into out of undergrad. 

I can vouch for a few numbers here.,

Full disclosure: I work for a  bulge bracket investment bank in NYC so I'm pulling 90-100 hours.

120/week on average  is a lie. Nobody works that, not even at Lazard or Moelis/(insert intense boutique). Key word is average. You could have several 120 hour weeks during your first year as an analyst especially if you are on a bunch of time consuming deals.....sell side M&A transactions FTL.

However, you will have your share of "light" weeks too. What makes IB bad isn't the hours, its the fact that they are not consistent. You could work 80 one week and 100 the next. So it's hard to have a fully functional social life.

I know guys who pulled 3 am nights.....DURING TRAINING

40 a week 5pm to 3am monday- thursday

the started being strict with overtime so i get like 10 extra hours ever two weeks. need more to pay these bills though
tired.gif

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

that can't be possible.

I can vouch for a few numbers here.,

Full disclosure: I work for a  bulge bracket investment bank in NYC so I'm pulling 90-100 hours.

120/week on average  is a lie. Nobody works that, not even at Lazard or Moelis/(insert intense boutique). Key word is average. You could have several 120 hour weeks during your first year as an analyst especially if you are on a bunch of time consuming deals.....sell side M&A transactions FTL.

However, you will have your share of "light" weeks too. What makes IB bad isn't the hours, its the fact that they are not consistent. You could work 80 one week and 100 the next. So it's hard to have a fully functional social life.

I know guys who pulled 3 am nights.....DURING TRAINING

what group are you in? when did you start? if i remember correctly you were an intern last summer so you must have just started. Im about to get promoted to associate - work in DCM though, not M&A.  I usualy work between 70-90 a week.  I've had a few 100's but probably less than 10 a year. 

^ oh yea - and no one works 120 a week. that would only be if you are absolutely crushed working on multiple deals at once. and the most you would work back to back is 2-3 before you'd be completely burnt out and your md would give you a few days off to recharge the batts.

One of my best friends, who works at RBS, says one of his college roommates (Wharton) had to work those hours at Lazard. Maybe it was just for a few weeks.

One of my best friends, who works at RBS, says one of his college roommates (Wharton) had to work those hours at Lazard. Maybe it was just for a few weeks.
ya wouldnt doubt that he pulled a 120 or two.  but people always exaggerate that stat in i-banking, even i have done it when talking to my buddies about it 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom