Otto Warmbier (N. Korea prisoner) dies

Rip to otto.. definitely didnt deserve to die.

I will say though since we're on the subject, ive seen far too many instances where white britts and americans walk around with that entitlement when travelling abroad. Dont speak a lick of the native language and converses with everyone in english like theyre suppose to cater to your ***.

The world isnt your playground

Last edited:
From the articles I was reading it was explaining that the vegetative state he was in is typically caused when oxygen to the brain is cut off for a certain period of time, hence the massive loss of tissue doctors found in his brain. I'm guessing they could have achieved that without causing actual head trauma, I just don't know how.

I will say though since we're on the subject, ive seen far too many instances where white britts and americans walk around with that entitlement when travelling abroad. Dont speak a lick of the native language and converses with everyone in english like theyre suppose to cater to your ***.

Weird post.

Weird post.

Your avy is crazy :wow:

Not really, it's true. Just remember how some of the Olympic swimming teams were acting a few years ago in Brazil. College folk in Mexico for spring break...etc.
Oh I don't disagree with the post, just the placement. Americans have a holier than thou attitude in general which translates to their interactions abroad. I don't think this kid fit the bill though.

Oh I don't disagree with the post, just the placement. Americans have a holier than thou attitude in general which translates to their interactions abroad. I don't think this kid fit the bill though.

He took down a political poster in a dictatorship ran country though. That's stealing and/or vandalism.

How do Americans act that have people always singling them out as bad tourists? I don't hear about other nationalities like that except maybe Chinese mainlanders. I hear a few Chinese people bash the mainlanders for being rude / obnoxious, especially the wealthy ones.

An original article I read when he first went missing said this tourist company gets all these people to sign up to go into N Korea simply because they want that stamp on their passport display. The company has had very few problems and they tell you just act normal and don't do anything stupid and you never will have any incidents.

Also, here are some new updates and quotes from a USA Today article:

The travel company that took University of Virginia student Otto Warmbier to North Korea - Young Pioneer Tours - said Monday that it will no longer take Americans to North Korea.

North Korean treatment of Western prisoners is bizarre, not always physically brutal

North Korea's deplorable record of human rights offenses speaks for itself. But the most curious element of the Otto Warmbier tragedy is why the young student may have been so badly mistreated at the hands of his captors, who some survivors say are strangely cordial to Western prisoners.

Consider the case of Matthew Todd Miller, a California man who in 2014 was sentenced to six years of forced labor in North Korea. Miller, who was released six months later, says he was actually treated rather well and even was allowed to keep his iPhone and iPad for at least a month. He listened to his digital music while in captivity.

"I was prepared for the torture. But instead of that, I was killed with kindness," he said in an interview with NK News.

Warmbier, 22, died Monday after coming back to the U.S. in a coma that lasted for 15 months of his North Korean captivity. The New York Times wrote that intelligence reports suggested Warmbier endured beatings, but doctors in the U.S. who examined him last week say his body shows no signs of physical trauma.

Miller, who was not much older than Warmbier at the time of his arrest, said he was held in what he described as a “guest house” – the same place where he said fellow American Kenneth Bae was being held. “They would deliver me food. There were other prisoners in the guest house, too. I could hear them unlocking the doors from the outside to deliver them food."

Bae told reporters and wrote in his book "Not Forgotten" that while there were psychological abuses — he was interrogated 15 hours a day and it let up only after he agreed to sign a paper saying he was a terrorist — he was never beaten. He was freed in 2014 and returned to the U.S., along with Miller.

“There seems to be a general attitude of not using physical violence against Americans, although they don’t appear unwilling to use psychological tactics and that sort thing,” Robert R. King, a former State Department special envoy for North Korea human rights issues, told the Times. King handled Mr. Warmbier’s case until he retired in January.

In most cases, Western prisoners are coveted as political bargaining chips in the North Korean system. Unlike their own citizens, a Westerner is likely to be released someday and bruises or abuses would be detected.

“This situation with Warmbier is likely something that happened that (North Korea) did not intend,” King said.

From the articles I was reading it was explaining that the vegetative state he was in is typically caused when oxygen to the brain is cut off for a certain period of time, hence the massive loss of tissue doctors found in his brain. I'm guessing they could have achieved that without causing actual head trauma, I just don't know how.
Waterboarding?

Oxygen chamber like in Deadpool?

Yeah traveling abroad is sketchy.

i always remember the movie broke down palace. They can just snatch you off the plane and next thing you know, you're locked up for life.

I know enough to respect the culture, you're in their house and you're playing with their rules.

It doesn't have to be though. We know what countries to visit and which ones not to. In the event we do visit a suspect country we have sense enough to know how to behave while there. That is something that should be done wherever we go, but let us not pretend that there is a certain group of folks who feel they can do whatever they want wherever they go because they right complexion and the power of a particular country behind them. That entitlement follows them.

I remember broke down palace also, and everytime I see locked up abroad i think about that movie.

I know some people who want to go there as a "joke" and to laugh at the society :stoneface: Take a wild guess at what kind of people they are :lol:

:lol:

No-brainer.

Why the hell would anyone go to north korea tho

True talk. I'm all about traveling and seeing the world, but certain places should be avoided. I don't know what is to be gained by visiting a country like that.

Same **** I said in my first post. Where I'm from we have a Medical School that people from the US and the UK as well locals, and other Caribbean people attend.
Some of the people from the US walk around like they run the island be disrespectful when they don't get their way. The manners aren't there and like you said they think the world is their playground.

A tourist gotta be dumb AF to step out of line in that country.

Word!

He took down a political poster in a dictatorship ran country though. That's stealing and/or vandalism.

Did he say why? Was he trying to make a statement or was he being funny trying to take it back home with him? How did they find out?

How do Americans act that have people always singling them out as bad tourists? I don't hear about other nationalities like that except maybe Chinese mainlanders. I hear a few Chinese people bash the mainlanders for being rude / obnoxious, especially the wealthy ones.

You just said it. Being rude, obnoxious thinking they are superior to others because of where they are from and in some cases their complexion. Their ignorance to other cultures etc.

I think I read he was intoxicated and it was a joke.

I mean, I get what some of you are saying, but nothing warrants the way they treated him. Him making that forced statement is still hard for me to watch.

If you're going to NK, you had better be on your Ps and Qs, though. I'm not sure the thought process that would make you think that is a funny joke to make that wont end with you losing your life.

Should have known better, but I feel terrible for the kid.

its hard enough traveling to another country as an american and trying not to stand out. But to go to N korea and do something crazy as that, is asking for it. RIP tho. 22 young and a dumb decision cost you your life.

Last edited:

Americans and Brits are pretty obnoxious and entitled, it's as if they think they own the place. It's why in the future I'll pay extra just to avoid the heavy tourist areas.

RIP to the young man though, no youthful adventure should cost a kid his life.

its hard enough traveling to another country as an american and trying not to stand out. But to go to N korea and do something crazy as that, is asking for it. RIP tho. 22 young and a dumb decision cost you your life.

Yeah that initial shock when you travel to a foreign land, and the first thing you see walking into the airport terminal are a bunch of soldiers patrolling with AK-47s. That by itself should be a sign to put yourself in check.

Yeah that initial shock when you travel to a foreign land, and the first thing you see walking into the airport terminal are a bunch of soldiers patrolling with AK-47s. That by itself should be a sign to put yourself in check.

Or to not go at all. Unless you are a reporter, involved in politics, on a diplomatic mission or conducting business there why would you visit this country?

I mean, I get what some of you are saying, but nothing warrants the way they treated him. Him making that forced statement is still hard for me to watch.

If you're going to NK, you had better be on your Ps and Qs, though. I'm not sure the thought process that would make you think that is a funny joke to make that wont end with you losing your life.

Nothing excuses what happened to him, it is very sad and unfortunate. The problem here is what we've been saying in this thread, there is this level of arrogance and entitlement that some Americans have and they carry it wherever they go. I'm sure he didn't think this would be the end result for what he did and it shouldn't have been, but when you are in a country like NK you should know better.

RIP, he didn't deserve this.

I'm always on my best behavior overseas. I don't know their laws and I don't know if their police like taking in foreign nationals. And I would never go to a country that's an enemy of the US except for China and even then, I would keep a low-profile the best I could.

It was all jokes in the og thread last year about the stupidity, but I decided to look up the video today and :wow: at that weak *** "surveillance video" and the BS statement he was forced to tell :rolleyes

Or to not go at all. Unless you are a reporter, involved in politics, on a diplomatic mission or conducting business there why would you visit this country?

Nothing excuses what happened to him, it is very sad and unfortunate. The problem here is what we've been saying in this thread, there is this level of arrogance and entitlement that some Americans have and they carry it wherever they go. I'm sure he didn't think this would be the end result for what he did and it shouldn't have been, but when you are in a country like NK you should know better.
Oh, 100%. I don't want to generalize, but there are definitely tons of Americans who think their  American freedoms follow them anywhere they go. If anything, things could be worse as an American in some places.

Situational awareness is something many people never really have to develop. Especially comfortable living people in the United States who have never questioned their privilege.

It's an unfortunate situation, but he only had himself to blame. It's not like anyone is surprised about one of the strictest governments in the world cracking down on something trivial like stealing a poster.

True, the USA is definitely  the most tolerant country when it comes to catering to the cultures/languages of foreigners. I bet a lot of people  feel the same way that you do about Mexicans speaking Spanish in the US. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom