PACIFIM RIM -- directed by Guillermo Del Toro

Del Toro intended the film to have an "incredibly airy and light feel", in contrast to the "super-brooding, super-dark, cynical summer movie". The director focused on "big, beautiful, sophisticated visuals" and action that would satisfy an adult audience, but has stated his "real hope" is to introduce the kaiju and mecha genres to a generation of children.

Del Toro wanted to "honor" the kaiju and mecha genres while creating an original stand-alone film, something "conscious of the heritage, but not a pastiche or an homage or a greatest hits of everything". The director made a point of starting from scratch, without emulating or referencing any previous examples of those genres. He cautioned his designers not to turn to films like Gamera, Godzilla, or The War of the Gargantuas for inspiration, stating: "I didn't want to be postmodern, or referential, or just belong to a genre. I really wanted to create something new, something madly in love with those things. I tried to bring epic beauty to it, and drama and operatic grandeur." Rather than popular culture, he drew inspiration from works of art such as Francisco Goya's The Colossus and George Bellows's boxing paintings.

The film currently holds a 81% approval rating from 31 critics – an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 – on the review-aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes.

Really looking forward to this. I have a feeling it will either be really good or realllly bad

I really should go see this tomorrow. $16 for a ticket though. :\ Kinda steep.

Last edited:
I get off of work at 9am Friday Morning, I'm about to go check this out on a matinee. :lol:

Looking forward to this movie. :pimp:

saw it last night wasnt bad but wasnt the best ive ever seen eithier, cant complain for free though, 3d didnt really ad anything in my opinion eithier

Last edited:
^^ tellin y'all 3D isn't really necessary for this movie there's only a few parts you really notice it...but I don't really like 3d movies all that much :lol:

Movie was ok, I couldn't connect wth the characters at all, I think that's the downfall of it...

how many timesssss are movies gonna use the Independence Day plan? :lol:

^^ tellin y'all 3D isn't really necessary for this movie there's only a few parts you really notice it...but I don't really like 3d movies all that much :lol:

Ok but unless I'm mistaken there is no 2d IMAX showing. I dont care about 3d but IMAX is necessary for stuff like this for me.

Ok but unless I'm mistaken there is no 2d IMAX showing. I dont care about 3d but IMAX is necessary for stuff like this for me.

:lol: you're right I totally blanked out on that. The studio made Del Toro convert it post production, so it's really not intended for 3d even though its really stunning visually. But yeah, scratch what I said before :lol: the IMAX is dope the 3d is barely noticeable

the Jaeger's and kaijus were rendered with the intent for 3d, its just the scenes with humans that was post converted.

Movie was ok, I couldn't connect wth the characters at all, I think that's the downfall of it...

how many timesssss are movies gonna use the Independence Day plan? :lol:
even though its recycled.... I still enjoyed it thoroughly.

Also, not just Independence Day, it reminded me a whole lot of Armageddon too

the 3D, although unnecessary was nice. Especially the CGI sequences with the Jaegers and Kaiju.

All in all, it was exactly what I thought it'd be and I loved every second of it.

Just got back from an IMAX 3D showing. I enjoyed it. First few minutes was only ok, to me, but the rest of the movie was great.

Quite a few moments that anime/mecha/robot fans will definitely be pleased with.

Visually, this was a highlight, it looked great. Bits and pieces of the fight scenes were a little too close quartered for my liking. But everything looked great. The colors of the movie reminded me of the Hellboy movies, Del Toro, obviously.

Charlie Hunham, I thought he'd be whatever, but he was pretty great. I sensed that Jax Teller intensity at times. And I'm gonna start campaigning that he could make a great Bruce Wayne/Batman. I'm dead serious. I'm not sure what the deal is with the Legendary Pictures- WB split, but they should really consider this guy. Only forseeable problem is his voice. I'm sure he can alter his voice a bit to fit both personas.

Supporting cast was good as well, Charlie Day was pretty damn funny, the main girl who played Mako was a little unconvincing at times but wasnt too bothersome. Idris Elba was a boss in this and Ron Pearlman, well you know Guillermo had to get Hellboy for this one.

All in all. Really impressed. I was too hype when news and previews came out for this film. Then my anticipation died down drawing closer to release date. Still decided to watch it without the heightened expectations and man I enjoyed the hell out of it. Not everyone will have an appreciation for it but man...My fellow "kids at heart" will love it.

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoyed it, charlie day and ron pearlman were funny as hell and the fights looked great in imax 3d.

this movie and wolverine seem destined to bomb at the box office. i still want to see it though. i got imax passes and am contemplating on using them on this movie

Watch this F'n movie!!!!!

There was barely anyone int he sneak viewing which is kind of sad but they really missed out.

This is a very good movie.

Glad most of y'all liked it so far...I was definitely pleased with it and I'm not even into anime or the foundation of this movie with the kaijus and whatnot :smokin

The action and fighting sequences were so :wow: :wow: :smokin

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom