People of Mixed Nationality/ethnicity

Do you ever feel like you are more prideful of one nationality than the other?

For example I am Mexican and Salvadorian but I am more in touch of my Mexican side. I sometimes have no interest to learn about anything from El Salvador

I dont know if its the fact that my pops was out working all the time and my moms taking care of me and my sisters all the time.

it also can be that all my friends are Mexican descent and having only one Salvadorian friend
and it also can be that i went to high school in the Boyle Heights section of Los Angeles ?
or is it  maybe the fact that I wasn't really exposed to the Salvadorian culture?

I just feel more prideful of being Mexican

who else feels the same way?

I'm Mexican/Salvoadorian too, but I don't really feel super duper prideful of either. Actually, I'm more sympathetic towards El Salvador because:

a) Mexican pride can be obnoxious.
b) El Salvador is smaller and not filled to the brim with arrogant Mexicans (though it is filled with other problems)
c) I live in SF, so I'm most proud to be San Franciscan.

It's because you live in LA... trust me if you lived in the DMV you would be more in touch with your Salvadorian side... 
btw EL SALVADOR FTW 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Hyper Cutter

c) I live in SF, so I'm most proud to be San Franciscan.
Same here.

I'm bBlack and Filipino, but I think I relate more to black people because I was raised in predominantly black neighborhoods. My mom didn't raise me through my teenage years (she's filipino) so I feel that it definitely has something to do with that also. But I still have family get-togethers on my Filipino side more so I wouldn't say that I'm neglected from that side though. I have pride in having both of those as my ethnicity and I feel fortunate on growing up observing both cultures. I think it makes me a more open-minded person compared to the average person honestly.

I'm more inclined to be prideful of my Korean blood than anything else. My Dutch side gets love too. I pretty much ignore the other nationalities' cultures in my blood. Except the Irish part on St. Patty's day
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Michaelfoooo

For example I am Mexican and Salvadorian but I am more in touch of my Mexican side. I sometimes have no interest to learn about anything from El Salvador

I dont know if its the fact that my pops was out working all the time and my moms taking care of me and my sisters all the time.

it also can be that all my friends are Mexican descent and having only one Salvadorian friend
and it also can be that i went to high school in the Boyle Heights section of Los Angeles ?
or is it  maybe the fact that I wasn't really exposed to the Salvadorian culture?

Why do people always have to say they're proud of this is and that side of their heritage, can we just be proud to be humans?

Originally Posted by Hankzilla

Originally Posted by Michaelfoooo

Why do people always have to say they're proud of this is and that side of their heritage, can we just be proud to be humans?
I'm all of us are proud of that, he means culturally though.

Originally Posted by DaNiKeRhiNo

I know but that doesn't matter, culture also divides us which is what I don't like about people, plus culture and race go hand in hand.

I know but that doesn't matter, culture also divides us which is what I don't like about people, plus culture and race go hand in hand.
Well in a lot cases you're right, but in this case, the discussion of different cultures isn't negative. Nobody is implying anything negative and I'm sure OP doesn't wasn't trying to go in that direction.

don't get me wrong hank. im not trying to bash on my salvi side. i love being salvi.

what i was trying refer was that since i wasn't really exposed to my salvi side growing (pops was always working) i was more exposed to my mexican side and i am more in touch with my mexican side.

i just feel more prideful of being mexican since i know the history and culture. i hardly know anything about being salvadorian. i just wanted to see if there is any people that can relate.

Just because you love your culture doesn't mean you hate all the others.

I think its important to know who you are and what you come from. Thats part of why life is beautiful, because everybody's different.

People let it divide us because they're ignorant/stupid/weren't raised well.

kkk-child-in-robe.jpg

smh.gif

Originally Posted by kiuyt856

I think its important to know who you are and what you come from. Thats part of why life is beautiful, because everybody's different. I disagree learning about that stuff isn't important, if you're a said race living in a predominately said race city/state/country then it's not important.

kkk-child-in-robe.jpg

smh.gif

WOW, I never said that, but people that do love their culture think their culture is better than said race's culture which makes them better then said person of another race, I see it all the TIME. Weren't raised well?  That statement in itself is ignorant, people always wanna blame the parents for how they were raised, I say 30% is parents then the other 70% is the kid developing a strong moral compass. People are never going to accept other people's beliefs/customs/culture/way of living, it's impossible. You're practically asking for there to be no wars, genocide, or discriminatory laws when I see people like yourself say they want integration of culture but down other cultures such as Homosexuals etc.

Im Italian and hispanic. Where i live theres NO spanish people here. So i grew up knowing more of my italian side than anything. It kind of sucks cuz when im with my dad with a bunch of italians they never assume im his son lol. We were at a get toghter a few months ago and i was standing by the door and this guy goes " where's your bathroom" thinkin i worked at the place, But im use to it now.

I'm Black and White and I wouldn't say more prideful, but I probably embrace my black side more than my white side. Mainly because I look black, and most of friends are black. I do see my white family more than my black side of my family though, so its not like I don't embrace my white side either. I think I'm actually more proud that I'm black and white. Diversity is a beautiful thing.

Originally Posted by richyung412

Im Italian and hispanic. Where i live theres NO spanish people here. So i grew up knowing more of my italian side than anything. It kind of sucks cuz when im with my dad with a bunch of italians they never assume im his son lol. We were at a get toghter a few months ago and i was standing by the door and this guy goes " where's your bathroom" thinkin i worked at the place, But im use to it now.

*dead*

kiuyt856 wrote:
Hankzilla wrote:
DaNiKeRhiNo wrote:

I think its important to know who you are and what you come from. Thats part of why life is beautiful, because everybody's different.

kkk-child-in-robe.jpg

smh.gif

That pic is DESPICABLE...
smh.gif

OP I know what you mean. I'm Jamaican and Honduran but I identify way more with my Jamaican side. Growing up I wasn't around my father often so I don't really know much about the Honduran culture/ way of life. I don't ignore that part of me but I just have no real knowledge of it. I'll be rooting for Los Catrachos in the World Cup though
pimp.gif

I'm half Nigerian, half African American. Its funny to see the disparities between the two cultures. You wouldn't think there be one given, we're both black, but its alive and marginal.

...I would connect more with my American side, given I was raised with an American Mother. By my Nigerian side is hard to hide given my name of all things.

I'm black and japanese and I identify more with my black side because of where I grew up (east side San jose) and the way I look. I also grew up in an all Japanese household so the background and the culture was learned at a young age.

im half black & half indian.. & well i'll put it like this.. black people are more inviting.

smh.gif
scrutinizing brown people.

Back
Top Bottom