Peter Rosenberg says Jay-Z is riding Kanye West's Coattails & gets checked by Jay

roll.gif
roll.gif

Dude demanded that like there was no way anyone could name 5 better albums.  C'mon son....

I ******* cringe when people describe yeezus as "groundbreaking"
Name 5 better albums from last year....

I wanna play this game and bury this post as well. If Yeezus is classified as rap and not whatever it actually is...

- GFK '12 Reasons To Die' (both versions)
- Pusha T 'My Name Is My Name
- Juicy J 'Stay Trippy'
- Prodigy 'Albert Einstein'
- Rittz 'Life & Times of Johnny Valiant'

Let's not include mixtapes, I don't wanna slam the casket completely shut on this.

Even if it was the runaway best album from last year (which it wasnt) wtf that gotta do with groundbreaking ?

Two very different things !

Even if it was the runaway best album from last year (which it wasnt) wtf that gotta do with groundbreaking ?

Two very different things !
Correct.

And everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But IMO it was a top 5 album for sure, regardless of genre. The people have spoken though, so I'll leave. MCHG 
grin.gif
 Hot Basura.

Yeezus was a fantastic album. It was groundbreaking, unconventional, and at times beautiful. I loved how it would go from gritty dingy beats, to elaborate orchestral symphonic melodies at the drop of a hat. You guys need to open your eyes and realize it was WAY before it's time. 

but the lyrics over all that... take away from it.
the lyrics weren't even mediocre. Kanye calls himself a God... then asks for croissants. I would have laughed if I had the instrumental album, but I don't... so I just sit frustrated with Yeezus.

the lyrics weren't even mediocre. Kanye calls himself a God... then asks for croissants. I would have laughed if I had the instrumental album, but I don't... so I just sit frustrated with Yeezus.
That's the point... I'm not going to try to explain to you that Yeezus is profoundly deep (because I don't think it is) but that's part of the Kanye character. It fits him perfectly. 

I think Yeezus is a far better album than MCHG because I think Kanye is an Artist and Jay is a rapper. Everything Kanye does is because he FEELS it's the right thing to do and he has a hand in every single aspect of his album. From the cover art, production (duh), concert venues, marketing, etc. where Jay just let's marketing handle the rest once he's done recording his tracks. I like MCHG, I think it's a nice little fun record but it's very, very generic. IMO,  the last Jay-Z album that felt genuine was The Black Album.

But Jay's album? Where your biggest song off the record is due to a hook pre written by Justin Timberlake, where you verse is completely forgettable (JT sold that track.......) No cohesiveness, talking about struggling with fame, hasn't this done millions of times before? What new ground was he breaking there? 

Jay didn't even have a lead single or video though. People got hype off a SAMSUNG commercial. He GAVE the album away for FREE and it still went #1 and is platinum. I still copped even though I had the app.  No artist has ever done that before and nobody is big enough to do that besides Jay.

This album proved to the world he is still the biggest/most popular rapper right now.

Holy Grail ain't even the best record
Heaven, Crown, Oceans even Tom Ford.

Jay z went platinum bc he convinced (payed) the The RIAA to change certification rules after samsung paid him 5 mils for 1 million copies. Which was an extremely smart move on jay bc its the only way his album wasnt going to flop. Jay is extremely over rated and I'm not even a yeezy ********r. Only thing I commend jay for is his hustle. Idk how people still buy his garbage music.

That's the point... I'm not going to try to explain to you that Yeezus is profoundly deep (because I don't think it is) but that's part of the Kanye character. It fits him perfectly. 

I think Yeezus is a far better album than MCHG because I think Kanye is an Artist and Jay is a rapper. Everything Kanye does is because he FEELS it's the right thing to do and he has a hand in every single aspect of his album. From the cover art, production (duh), concert venues, marketing, etc. where Jay just let's marketing handle the rest once he's done recording his tracks. I like MCHG, I think it's a nice little fun record but it's very, very generic. IMO,  the last Jay-Z album that felt genuine was The Black Album.
This.

Yeezy isn't looking to wrap circles around peoples heads lyrically because honestly a lot of music listeners don't even catch on nor care too much about it (as sad as that is), and him being at the level he's at in terms of popularity, culture influence, he's looking to make art, take a minimalist approach, and let listeners interpret it for whatever their imagination wants them to.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not like Kanye can be or should be scrutinized for lyrics. People aren't REALLY looking for lyrics...there are a bunch of lyrical rappers, freestyle rappers, etc etc, but they're not at the forefront of music, Kanye is, and theres a reason for that.

Kendrick Lamar isn't lyrical by the way.

To this day, Jay's 'Instagram' line in "Somewhereinamerica' still flies over peoples heads.

This.

Yeezy isn't looking to wrap circles around peoples heads lyrically because honestly a lot of music listeners don't even catch on nor care too much about it (as sad as that is), and him being at the level he's at in terms of popularity, culture influence, he's looking to make art, take a minimalist approach, and let listeners interpret it for whatever their imagination wants them to.

rap circles?

I was just hoping for decent. :rolleyes

no one minded the fake words, incorrect phrases, and purposely mispronounced words on 'College Droupout', but this is unacceptable,

and even Kanye doesn't agree with you, he swears he had the best verse on 'New Slaves'

and for offwhite.. I didn't even bring up MCHG, and earlier in this thread I said Jay needed 'Ye more than 'Ye needed Jay, especially for WTT album

rap circles?

I was just hoping for decent.
eyes.gif

no one minded the fake words, incorrect phrases, and purposely mispronounced words on 'College Droupout', but this is unacceptable,

and even Kanye doesn't agree with you, he swears he had the best verse on 'New Slaves'

and for offwhite.. I didn't even bring up MCHG, and earlier in this thread I said Jay needed 'Ye more than 'Ye needed Jay, especially for WTT album
Ahh okay, I just responded to your last statement and then added why I think Yeezus is a better album than MCHG. My point was that Kanye has always been "this" as a rapper. He didn't decline or improve, he's still just him. He always said some dope ish only to follow up with something ridiculous. That's just his style. It's more about how you say rather than what you say with him. 

again, I don't know why you're making excuses for trash when Kanye not only had assistance, he also claims it's amazing.

Production was beautiful.
I was up on Brodiski, TNGHT, Daft Punk before this album. As far as the US is concerned this album is damn near a decade ahead of its time

Lyrics were painful.

just like 808s, he ruined great production and Blind fans will continue to excuse it.

Last edited:
New Slaves is a great record.

I just wanted to say that

New Slaves
Black Skinhead
Blood On The Leaves
Bound 2

All are great records everything else was trash. I still don't what the **** he was thinking on that On Site record.

:lol: i kinda **** with on site now tbh

first time i heard it i had the :stoneface: x 100000

but idk it grew on me "but i got her back in and put my **** in her maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaouth"

^The circumstances surrounding 808s keeps that one pretty slander proof. When his mother died, I fully understood the way that album came across. Yeezus however is just an overblown fake transcending mess. It sounds good in a club with seizure effect lights while drinking and eyeing down a **** at 1am. But in sure any music could sound good at that point.

Back
Top Bottom