Pickup basketball stereotypes.

I never saw or play against a successful father/son combo.. It's either the Competition is too tough on the son.. The father is past his prime (cant play) nor the father is too tough on his own son..

-something i saw a few weeks ago that was new to me. The guy on the court wearing headphones was very random, during a full court game. Was that just an isolated incident or is this what people do now?

You'd be shocked. Hell, I watched an NBA team of professionals forget which direction they were defending after a timeout and give up an easy runout basket in the 4th quarter. I know of a guy who scored the game winner in a high school state tournament on his own basket (thus making it the game loser), when his team was up and he just had to hold the ball.

And for his heroics he went Thunder game and met KD :smh:

I don't care there's no excuse for that stupidity...he should be barred from playing basketball ever again even pickup games

Not just KD, hemet everybody. Bennett, the owner, gave him and his coach his floor seats which are right by the home tunnel. I saw Perkins, KD, WB, and Ibaka all chatting him up and giving him shoes and clothes and balls and ****. But the other play I mentioned was this. Tell me how these grown *** men got fooled by a basic stack and don't realize they are in the Laker's backcourt, not at the Laker's basket and EVERYONE is on the high side of their man (not between their man and the basket). The Hornets should be contracted and all these kats should give the NBA a rebate on their paychecks for at least this game; inexcusable mistake to make any time but look at the time and score, in their own building no less. :smh:

I had a feeling that you were talking about this play. It shows that no matter the competition that there are people who do not pay attention while on the court and this is how stuff like this happens. I was watching this game live and was thinking why are the Hornets on the underneath side of the basket? I'm like the coaching staff, bench players - nobody sees what is going on? Just the Lakers --that was crazy.

Last edited:
[quote name="Spot"][QUOTE name="DarthSka"]
^ You'll eat those words when you have a kid and still love the game, and then realize there is no special 'Daddy League', and babysitting isn't an option.[/QUOTE]
why not just sign up your kid at the local Y or park and have play with other kids his age and coach his team or something?
and you can play with the other coaches or something but its cool to play serious with your kid against other grown men when your kid is like 12 because its different when hes at the age to to seriously contribute vs being like 4 or 5 playing with grown men
[/quote]:lol: You think every city has something like a YMCA or rec center? No, they don't.

and I want to PLAY, not COACH. And I want my son growing up watching me play.

All these things mentioned affect the actual game. Ballhogging, player/coach, etc... but this thing your griping about, my son playing over on the side of the court like 10 feet away from us, minding his own business... Ain't got nothing to do with the game.

I respect the honest people.

Dudes in here talking about they never miss, or a foul could never disrupt their shot attempt
eyes.gif
I'm the I never call foul guy, it annoys my teammates but like it disrupts the flow of the game if I called even half the fouls that people inflict on me. I'm usually the biggest dude on the court and people have no choice. And then some have the audacity to argue with blatant ones then they feel bad later and say aite you should've called that one. They are all fouls, it's either i call them all or I just deal with it. Kinda comes with the territory of being a big guy.

I'm the I never call foul guy, it annoys my teammates but like it disrupts the flow of the game if I called even half the fouls that people inflict on me. I'm usually the biggest dude on the court and people have no choice. And then some have the audacity to argue with blatant ones then they feel bad later and say aite you should've called that one. They are all fouls, it's either i call them all or I just deal with it. Kinda comes with the territory of being a big guy.
we r not talking about the guy five inches taller than everyone who gets fouled on the inside and doesn't call, we r talking about that dude that constantly drives inside and whines if he gets touched at all, even if he charges into u

-something i saw a few weeks ago that was new to me. The guy on the court wearing headphones was very random, during a full court game. Was that just an isolated incident or is this what people do now?

I played a pick up game where some dude had headphones in. After he got swatted a few times because he couldn't hear people coming up behind him, I told him to take off his headphones or we'd replace him because he's ******g up our game.

A couple weeks later, same dude was there and he had headphones in again. This time, though, I was on the other team, so I enjoyed swatting his shots :pimp:

Back on topic, I hate dudes who fall to the floor and scream, obviously trying to show everyone that they got fouled, yet when I hold the ball, dude looks at me and goes "why are you stopping? I didn't call a foul." Like **** man, you sounded like you just got your arms blown off, of course I'm going to assume you're calling a foul :lol: :smh:

laugh.gif
You think every city has something like a YMCA or rec center? No, they don't.

and I want to PLAY, not COACH. And I want my son growing up watching me play.

All these things mentioned affect the actual game. Ballhogging, player/coach, etc... but this thing your griping about, my son playing over on the side of the court like 10 feet away from us, minding his own business... Ain't got nothing to do with the game.
lol i dont mind him shooting on an empty basket

i thought we are talking about like 4 year olds playing with grown men like in the video

This. What's worse is when you do play the post and the other guys on the team don't know how to feed the post or just stand there so their defender crashes in on you.

THIS!! :smh:

dudes can't throw a simple post entry pass for ****. Then refuse to cut to the strong side.
To be fair, there are several several NBA players who can't throw post entry passes

This. What's worse is when you do play the post and the other guys on the team don't know how to feed the post or just stand there so their defender crashes in on you.

THIS!! :smh:

dudes can't throw a simple post entry pass for ****. Then refuse to cut to the strong side.
To be fair, there are several several NBA players who can't throw post entry passes
also you have dudes with size advantage who can't post up and just stand there like a dolt and call for the ball but don't seal their defender (even NBA players like KD have this problem, Dirk used to as well) and it's like while you may have 6 inches, if you don't get a shoulder/elbow into a defender and seal him to 1 side then hold up the opposite as a target hand, we can't safely make that pass. The defender is going to run around you and deflect or steal it every time

I can't stand the "dispute the actual score every single game" guy. Dudes down by 10 and arguing that his team is actually up and he's been keeping score the whole time. "Shoot for it!" ***** my team is legit winning, why do I have to shoot to prove it?! Happens every single time I play

Everything you guys just discussed is like quantum physics to most pick up players :lol:

This :lol:

It's ironic because y'all are sounding like the "Player Coach" stereotype :nerd:

"SEAL YOUR DEFENDER! POST ENTRY PASSES! STRONG SIDE!!!"

All true though. I make an effort to throw a couple of post entry passes once in awhile if the big dudes are working hard to get position.

Shout out to Jo Polk. He announced the game when I played, nicknamed me Malik Yoba then started making fun of my socks.

But I don't get it, you are playing 21 and just every time there is a rebound or change of possession, you go to the opposite goal?

Shout out to Jo Polk. He announced the game when I played, nicknamed me Malik Yoba then started making fun of my socks.

But I don't get it, you are playing 21 and just every time there is a rebound or change of possession, you go to the opposite goal?
Yea. that is what it looks like. Seems fun man

Back
Top Bottom