Pippen Says LeBron is "Best Player Ever"

Scottie Back pedals

http://msn.foxsports.com/...-James-052711/?gt1=39002

Pippen backs off LeBron comments

NewsCore 484Updated May 27, 2011 10:51 PM ET
CHICAGO
Scottie Pippen, Michael Jordan's longtime teammate, raised eyebrows Friday morning when he said Heat superstar LeBron James "may be the greatest player to ever play the game."

NBA FINALS
•Playoff Central: Your Finals home
•Kriegel: Heat feeding off the hate
•Lawrence: Doing it with defense
•Three reasons Heat will win it
•Three reasons Mavs will win it
•Video: Marques Johnson preview

The Hall of Famer's comments on ESPN Radio's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" drew a fierce response on Twitter, as many fans were incredulous at the perceived slight toward Jordan.

Pippen clarified Friday afternoon, tweeting that he does not believe James has eclipsed Jordan -- yet.

"Don't get me wrong, MJ was and is the greatest. But LeBron could by all means get to his level someday," said Pippen, who was courtside for the Heat's five-game Eastern Conference finals triumph as a Bulls TV analyst.

In his original comments, the 45-year-old, who won six NBA titles alongside Jordan, called his former teammate the best scorer to ever play the game.

"Michael Jordan is probably the greatest scorer to play the game, but I may go as far as to say LeBron James may be the greatest player to ever play the game because he is so potent offensively that not only can he score at will but he keeps everybody involved."

He added, "No guy on the basketball court is not a threat to score with LeBron James out there. Not only will LeBron dominate from the offensive end as well, but he's also doing it on the defensive end, which really makes him the complete package. He's able to get in those passing lanes, shoot those gaps and create transition opportunities where he is pretty much unstoppable."

Horace Grant, who won three titles alongside Jordan and Pippen with the Bulls, declined to back up Pippen.

"Pip is my man, and we will always be close but I totally disagree," Grant said on ESPN 1000 in Chicago. "LeBron is going to be one of the top players to ever play the game. But Michael Jeffrey Jordan, who we bumped heads with at times, is I think in my era, the best who ever played the game."

On Thursday night James put the finishing touches on a dominant series, leading the Heat to an NBA Finals date against the Dallas Mavericks.

James led a late 18-3 run to break Bulls' fans hearts with a series-clinching 83-80 win at the United Center. James had 28 points, 11 rebounds, and six assists, including the game-tying three-pointer and a jumper to put the Heat up for good with 29 seconds left.

It was also James' suffocating defense on Bulls star Derrick Rose that helped the Heat reach their second NBA Finals in franchise history.

Scottie Back pedals

http://msn.foxsports.com/...-James-052711/?gt1=39002

Pippen backs off LeBron comments

NewsCore 484Updated May 27, 2011 10:51 PM ET
CHICAGO
Scottie Pippen, Michael Jordan's longtime teammate, raised eyebrows Friday morning when he said Heat superstar LeBron James "may be the greatest player to ever play the game."

NBA FINALS
•Playoff Central: Your Finals home
•Kriegel: Heat feeding off the hate
•Lawrence: Doing it with defense
•Three reasons Heat will win it
•Three reasons Mavs will win it
•Video: Marques Johnson preview

The Hall of Famer's comments on ESPN Radio's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" drew a fierce response on Twitter, as many fans were incredulous at the perceived slight toward Jordan.

Pippen clarified Friday afternoon, tweeting that he does not believe James has eclipsed Jordan -- yet.

"Don't get me wrong, MJ was and is the greatest. But LeBron could by all means get to his level someday," said Pippen, who was courtside for the Heat's five-game Eastern Conference finals triumph as a Bulls TV analyst.

In his original comments, the 45-year-old, who won six NBA titles alongside Jordan, called his former teammate the best scorer to ever play the game.

"Michael Jordan is probably the greatest scorer to play the game, but I may go as far as to say LeBron James may be the greatest player to ever play the game because he is so potent offensively that not only can he score at will but he keeps everybody involved."

He added, "No guy on the basketball court is not a threat to score with LeBron James out there. Not only will LeBron dominate from the offensive end as well, but he's also doing it on the defensive end, which really makes him the complete package. He's able to get in those passing lanes, shoot those gaps and create transition opportunities where he is pretty much unstoppable."

Horace Grant, who won three titles alongside Jordan and Pippen with the Bulls, declined to back up Pippen.

"Pip is my man, and we will always be close but I totally disagree," Grant said on ESPN 1000 in Chicago. "LeBron is going to be one of the top players to ever play the game. But Michael Jeffrey Jordan, who we bumped heads with at times, is I think in my era, the best who ever played the game."

On Thursday night James put the finishing touches on a dominant series, leading the Heat to an NBA Finals date against the Dallas Mavericks.

James led a late 18-3 run to break Bulls' fans hearts with a series-clinching 83-80 win at the United Center. James had 28 points, 11 rebounds, and six assists, including the game-tying three-pointer and a jumper to put the Heat up for good with 29 seconds left.

It was also James' suffocating defense on Bulls star Derrick Rose that helped the Heat reach their second NBA Finals in franchise history.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

These days, Dwight Howard is winning DPOY awards left and right by default. In Jordan's days, not only would he not come close to winning DPOY, but he wouldn't even make the all-NBA defense 2nd team ahead of either Hakeem, Robinson, Mutombo and probably Ewing. If you think he would, you simply don't have enough knowledge about the eras in question.
You can't make this comparison. You just flat out can't. Dwight is CLEARLY the superior physical specimen. If he was able to play as physical as 90's centers, you could try to make the comparison. You can't compare players that play by completely different sets of rules.
Just like how you can't compare perimeter defenders of today to past eras. Can you imagine if LeBron was allowed to hand check dudes and push them around? He'd be easily the most dominating shut down perimeter defender EVER.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

These days, Dwight Howard is winning DPOY awards left and right by default. In Jordan's days, not only would he not come close to winning DPOY, but he wouldn't even make the all-NBA defense 2nd team ahead of either Hakeem, Robinson, Mutombo and probably Ewing. If you think he would, you simply don't have enough knowledge about the eras in question.
You can't make this comparison. You just flat out can't. Dwight is CLEARLY the superior physical specimen. If he was able to play as physical as 90's centers, you could try to make the comparison. You can't compare players that play by completely different sets of rules.
Just like how you can't compare perimeter defenders of today to past eras. Can you imagine if LeBron was allowed to hand check dudes and push them around? He'd be easily the most dominating shut down perimeter defender EVER.

Wow Scottie !

Sell out for sure !

Statistics aside for a moment... If it's athleticism, Jordan's done more crazy things than Lebron.  He's beaten the other team's best defender, been clutch in crucial moments and dunked on the likes of top-tier centers of his era. 

Do you guys ever recall a time where LBJ dunked over someone with the likes of D12?

You can't compare

Wow Scottie !

Sell out for sure !

Statistics aside for a moment... If it's athleticism, Jordan's done more crazy things than Lebron.  He's beaten the other team's best defender, been clutch in crucial moments and dunked on the likes of top-tier centers of his era. 

Do you guys ever recall a time where LBJ dunked over someone with the likes of D12?

You can't compare

You guys need to understand that it's completely retarted to compare Kobe and Lebron.

Both guys are in different systems and always have been
Play two different positions
play two different styles

It's come to the point that you guys downplay one or the other to say who is better. Its making you guys forget what these guys are doing for the league and the game of basketball. Why would you downplay either one? They are both monsters on the court, especially during their prime.

If you like one, thats fine but don't downplay the other. How can you down play 81 points against NBA players? Even if the team sucks, thats still 81 points. What do you mean?

How can you downplay taking your team the finals when they are complete garbage.

They are both douches off court so at least they are equal in that department.

You guys need to understand that it's completely retarted to compare Kobe and Lebron.

It's come to the point that you guys downplay one or the other to say who is better. Its making you guys forget what these guys are doing for the league and the game of basketball. Why would you downplay either one? They are both monsters on the court, especially during their prime.

If you like one, thats fine but don't downplay the other. How can you down play 81 points against NBA players? Even if the team sucks, thats still 81 points. What do you mean?

How can you downplay taking your team the finals when they are complete garbage.

Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

QFT...but Kobe wasn't a douche to me and my family. I can say that much.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

QFT...but Kobe wasn't a douche to me and my family. I can say that much.
laugh.gif

OnionSlice wrote:
Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

What a lot of fans have done is put it away that you cant be the greatest. With Lebron you dont get the 37 a game average while winning DPOY.
Believe it or not its the 5 seasons before Mike won a title that are seperating Michael and Bron.
If you cant match those 5 seasons you have no shot at even being considered.
I may or may not believe that, but no matter if its a conscious or subconscious thought its 100% fact
If an athlete cannot match the seasons Michael didnt win a title then your title victorys no matter the circumstance pale in comparison.
First of all, it's 7 seasons, not 5.
This last line is a really lame argument. That's like saying MJ can't even be considered because he wasn't able to match Wilt by averaging 50+ PPG and 26 rebounds. Nobody will EVER be able to match Wilt's scoring and rebounding records. It doesn't make him the the best FOREVER. You have to be able see things in context.

Thats not what I think its what its in your subconscious.
I aint counting when he came back after he broke his foot.
Krause was playing for a draft pick and it shouldnt be counted.
I didnt count the regular season that lead to him winning a title either so that makes 5 seasons.
I really should have displayed that reasoning for stating 5 seasons.
Bron cant match the per nor the raw numbers of those seasons. Bron has had a couple years that flatout beat some of  Michaels years though. When you consider the talent levels etc. I dont believe personally the statement that I said, I believe he is so damned close to Magic and Jordan at this point its not even a debate that through 8 seasons hes the 3rd, or 4th best player of all time. But I said its already is 80% of fans MINDS that he cant be the greatest because the average fan wont look at pace as being the main factor for sheer gaudiness of Michaels first FIVE seasons.
GTHO with that "simple cohesive offensive pass" bull doo-doo. In the end, LeBron makes the pass that adds 2 or 3 points to his team's point total, and he does it better than any player in history even close to his size, other than Magic Johnson. Whether you like it or not, you salty individual, that is a FACT. If you have to invent a lame term like "simple cohesive offensive pass" to hate, be my guest. But in the end, the only people you're going to make agree with you are the people who hated LeBron to begin with, and who didn't really need any convincing.. Nor will anything LeBron does in the future convince them to change their opinion about LeBron.

You know full and damn well that good team ball movement beats one guy getting 9 + assists. I have already done the work on teams getting to the finals with ONE player averaging 8+ assists a game  and did the number of wins by those teams since 1979.

Its not a lame term its something I have actually discussed before. Now its something like 19 teams since 1979 have had a guy averaging 8+ assists and got to the finals. 
Thats out of 64 teams.....
I have and always will say that having multiple guys who can pass is better than really having one guy who dominates the ball so much and not always thinking about a pass.
I aint never disputed that hes a great passer, but he is a pretentious passer. There are times before this season where he needed to get his %%% on the weak side to get his teammates more opperating room. Any side that Lebron is on the floor will be overloaded that direction regardless of who is on that side of the floor. Making the simple pass and being a decoy was something he might not felt able to do, but it was still needed. Now there are big time stretches where Lebron is on the weak side and Wade and Bosh are on the strong side wrecking havoc because Wade is allowed to roam with help coming from the side that is generally always overloaded with Lebron still on it. So yeah pretentious passer, pretentious person and pretentious about where he would be on the floor to space it. Its halo when your not doing everything you know will work.
Some if not most of thats coaching, but it also has to be partically Lebrons fault.
I liked Derrick Rose's MVP candidacy for a lot of even more advanced statistical reasons than just simple per and efficiency ratings.
One of those reason being that he averaged a third of his teams assists on a team that averaged 24+ a game( while scoring 98 pts a game) Thats something that will stay within the organization because guys can pass.
The complete ball movement helps and now the Bulls need a legit second scorer,who also moves the ball and can create his own shot.

Dudes on this board are like what Chris Jericho would call SIMPLETON'S

OnionSlice wrote:
Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

What a lot of fans have done is put it away that you cant be the greatest. With Lebron you dont get the 37 a game average while winning DPOY.
Believe it or not its the 5 seasons before Mike won a title that are seperating Michael and Bron.
If you cant match those 5 seasons you have no shot at even being considered.
I may or may not believe that, but no matter if its a conscious or subconscious thought its 100% fact
If an athlete cannot match the seasons Michael didnt win a title then your title victorys no matter the circumstance pale in comparison.
First of all, it's 7 seasons, not 5.
This last line is a really lame argument. That's like saying MJ can't even be considered because he wasn't able to match Wilt by averaging 50+ PPG and 26 rebounds. Nobody will EVER be able to match Wilt's scoring and rebounding records. It doesn't make him the the best FOREVER. You have to be able see things in context.

Thats not what I think its what its in your subconscious.
I aint counting when he came back after he broke his foot.
Krause was playing for a draft pick and it shouldnt be counted.
I didnt count the regular season that lead to him winning a title either so that makes 5 seasons.
I really should have displayed that reasoning for stating 5 seasons.
Bron cant match the per nor the raw numbers of those seasons. Bron has had a couple years that flatout beat some of  Michaels years though. When you consider the talent levels etc. I dont believe personally the statement that I said, I believe he is so damned close to Magic and Jordan at this point its not even a debate that through 8 seasons hes the 3rd, or 4th best player of all time. But I said its already is 80% of fans MINDS that he cant be the greatest because the average fan wont look at pace as being the main factor for sheer gaudiness of Michaels first FIVE seasons.
GTHO with that "simple cohesive offensive pass" bull doo-doo. In the end, LeBron makes the pass that adds 2 or 3 points to his team's point total, and he does it better than any player in history even close to his size, other than Magic Johnson. Whether you like it or not, you salty individual, that is a FACT. If you have to invent a lame term like "simple cohesive offensive pass" to hate, be my guest. But in the end, the only people you're going to make agree with you are the people who hated LeBron to begin with, and who didn't really need any convincing.. Nor will anything LeBron does in the future convince them to change their opinion about LeBron.

You know full and damn well that good team ball movement beats one guy getting 9 + assists. I have already done the work on teams getting to the finals with ONE player averaging 8+ assists a game  and did the number of wins by those teams since 1979.

Its not a lame term its something I have actually discussed before. Now its something like 19 teams since 1979 have had a guy averaging 8+ assists and got to the finals. 
Thats out of 64 teams.....
I have and always will say that having multiple guys who can pass is better than really having one guy who dominates the ball so much and not always thinking about a pass.
I aint never disputed that hes a great passer, but he is a pretentious passer. There are times before this season where he needed to get his %%% on the weak side to get his teammates more opperating room. Any side that Lebron is on the floor will be overloaded that direction regardless of who is on that side of the floor. Making the simple pass and being a decoy was something he might not felt able to do, but it was still needed. Now there are big time stretches where Lebron is on the weak side and Wade and Bosh are on the strong side wrecking havoc because Wade is allowed to roam with help coming from the side that is generally always overloaded with Lebron still on it. So yeah pretentious passer, pretentious person and pretentious about where he would be on the floor to space it. Its halo when your not doing everything you know will work.
Some if not most of thats coaching, but it also has to be partically Lebrons fault.
I liked Derrick Rose's MVP candidacy for a lot of even more advanced statistical reasons than just simple per and efficiency ratings.
One of those reason being that he averaged a third of his teams assists on a team that averaged 24+ a game( while scoring 98 pts a game) Thats something that will stay within the organization because guys can pass.
The complete ball movement helps and now the Bulls need a legit second scorer,who also moves the ball and can create his own shot.

Dudes on this board are like what Chris Jericho would call SIMPLETON'S

LeBron is not on MJ's level, and I personally don't think he ever will be. It's possible, but I don't think he will reach MJ. He's hands down the Best player there has been since MJ, but he's not at MJ level yet.

LeBron is not on MJ's level, and I personally don't think he ever will be. It's possible, but I don't think he will reach MJ. He's hands down the Best player there has been since MJ, but he's not at MJ level yet.

Originally Posted by AirJordans23

Jordan at age 25, 26 would NEVER quit on his team against a superior opponent, such as Bird's Celtics or the Bad Boy Pistons, like Lebron clearly did in exasperation against the Celtics last year.  And Jordan would've NEVER signed as a free agent with two other stars to help carry the load. 
A few holes in your points.

1. Instead of focusing on the AGE of LeBron vs. Jordan, focus on the years of experience considering LeBron came out of HS.

Jordan's 7th year, he won a ring.
LeBron's 7th year, you know what was going on.

2. So since Jordan was already in the mix during his 7th year, OF COURSE he wouldn't go to another team to tear down his rivals. He was already the one winning. LeBron was not fortunate enough to be on a TEAM that was capable of winning.

This idea that the Cavs didn't win because of something LeBron didn't do just doesn't make much sense.

3. Quitting on a team that had ALLEGEDLY had sex with your mother (Dalonny) and kept it hush (rest of those dudes) is no every day situation. We can't judge a man based on a situation like that. Very, very, very unfair.

4. You can't say that Jordan would/wouldn't have joined forces with another top player because, again, he was already winning. If he wasn't winning, we don't know what he would or wouldn't do. So hypotheticals really have no place in this discussion.

Point is, LeBron wants to win. He put himself in a position to win. He is in a good position to win now. I am not seeing why he is being raped by everyone for doing this. Magic was blessed into a great situation. Jordan had Pippen to grow with, someone that was close to his level. LeBron didn't have those luxuries, so why are we comparing the path he took vs. two people that we blessed to be in better team situations?

Makes no sense to me.

Originally Posted by AirJordans23

Jordan at age 25, 26 would NEVER quit on his team against a superior opponent, such as Bird's Celtics or the Bad Boy Pistons, like Lebron clearly did in exasperation against the Celtics last year.  And Jordan would've NEVER signed as a free agent with two other stars to help carry the load. 
A few holes in your points.

1. Instead of focusing on the AGE of LeBron vs. Jordan, focus on the years of experience considering LeBron came out of HS.

Jordan's 7th year, he won a ring.
LeBron's 7th year, you know what was going on.

2. So since Jordan was already in the mix during his 7th year, OF COURSE he wouldn't go to another team to tear down his rivals. He was already the one winning. LeBron was not fortunate enough to be on a TEAM that was capable of winning.

This idea that the Cavs didn't win because of something LeBron didn't do just doesn't make much sense.

3. Quitting on a team that had ALLEGEDLY had sex with your mother (Dalonny) and kept it hush (rest of those dudes) is no every day situation. We can't judge a man based on a situation like that. Very, very, very unfair.

4. You can't say that Jordan would/wouldn't have joined forces with another top player because, again, he was already winning. If he wasn't winning, we don't know what he would or wouldn't do. So hypotheticals really have no place in this discussion.

Point is, LeBron wants to win. He put himself in a position to win. He is in a good position to win now. I am not seeing why he is being raped by everyone for doing this. Magic was blessed into a great situation. Jordan had Pippen to grow with, someone that was close to his level. LeBron didn't have those luxuries, so why are we comparing the path he took vs. two people that we blessed to be in better team situations?

Makes no sense to me.

I don't even know what to say about Pippen.....he probably said it to get people to talk about him.

Back
Top Bottom