Please lock.

This isn't a fight that Cotto won against a prime-Sergio. Cotto was absolutely superb, and he deserves all the praise in the world, but Sergio was a broken fighter. He wasn't so badly hurt the entire fight that it's why the fight was stopped, but he was just not mobile out there.

a prime Martinez and prime cotto and this fight is the same, your saying early on Sergio had no chin so what changes that? Martinez fighting with his hands down wouldn't be able to keep cotto off of him and he doesn't throw enough to put pressure on cotto all night.

Sergio had no boxing skills to fall back on. He was a late starter who relied on only his hand speed. The minute he started aging, he was done for.
Guys like JMM, Floyd, cotto, Pac, who've been fighting they're whole lives and have a solid boxing base and knowledge can fight try old age.

You all had to have seen this comig from his last few fights . He has no defense other than speed. He isn't a combination nor a counter puncher. Knees had nothing to do with him never keeping his right hand up near his chin to stop that left for landing.

The Sergio Martinez that we saw against JCC Jr., Darren Barker, and Matthew Macklin was not the same Sergio Martinez we've seen against Martin Murray and Miguel Cotto. I still feel like he lost against Murray. I'll agree that he's never had good defense (nor a good chin), but I just felt like in his prior fights, he had at least a little more mobility. It just seemed like his knee locked up on him tonight more times than it didn't.

The HBO crew seemed to think that Miguel Cotto is now on top of the MW division. Thoughts?

Cotto was fabulous, but looking at 154/160, I don't think there's a lot of top guys he can beat.

Floyd Mayweather? Canelo Alvarez? Gennady Golovkin?

Gennady would pummel his face in, Floyd Mayweather would outclass him as he did last fight, and Canelo might be too fast and too strong for him.

Freddie definitely has put his stamp on Miguel though. Can Manny fight Cotto again? :lol:

a prime Martinez and prime cotto and this fight is the same, your saying early on Sergio had no chin so what changes that? Martinez fighting with his hands down wouldn't be able to keep cotto off of him and he doesn't throw enough to put pressure on cotto all night.

From rounds two through nine, Sergio hardly threw any punches. He just kept being beat to the punch, and had no mobility. I'm not saying he would have won against the Miguel Cotto we saw tonight, but he would at least won some rounds.

Tonight Cotto shut him out completely. All I was saying is that it wouldn't have been a shut out.

The HBO crew seemed to think that Miguel Cotto is now on top of the MW division. Thoughts?

Oh don't worry too much about that. Jim Lampley has been a Cotto nuthugger since day one. I had a feeling he would go out there sucking Cotto off and boy did he DELIVER!

Considering Cotto hurt him REALLY early, I don't think it's fair to just blame the knees/age for this. Martinez is normally a really mobile guy. A guy who darts in and out, uses head movement and hits hard/fast.

It's hard to run around for 12 rounds when 1 minute into round 1, you get knocked down and your legs turn to jelly. He didn't have his legs under him for a WHILE after that. Cotto followed his 3 KDs up with a lot of really good bodywork too. You're gonna have a hard time being that super mobile and confident fighter that Martinez usually is after 3 KDs and some of those vicious body shots.

He does have a ton of heart tho. IDK how he made it out of round 1.

The Sergio Martinez that we saw against JCC Jr., Darren Barker, and Matthew Macklin was not the same Sergio Martinez we've seen against Martin Murray and Miguel Cotto. I still feel like he lost against Murray. I'll agree that he's never had good defense (nor a good chin), but I just felt like in his prior fights, he had at least a little more mobility. It just seemed like his knee locked up on him tonight more times than it didn't.

Cotto was fabulous, but looking at 154/160, I don't think there's a lot of top guys he can beat.

Floyd Mayweather? Canelo Alvarez? Gennady Golovkin?

Gennady would pummel his face in, Floyd Mayweather would outclass him as he did last fight, and Canelo might be too fast and too strong for him.

Freddie definitely has put his stamp on Miguel though. Can Manny fight Cotto again? :lol:

If Cotto fights anyone other than Floyd or Canelo, he hates money :lol: GGG would be a ridiculously tough fight without the payday behind it. Floyd/Cotto would get a ton of hype now that Cotto has Roach behind him (this is how they would sell it) + he just dominated Martinez + their 1st fight was actually entertaining. The only issue with Floyd is the weight. I don't think Cotto would drain himself. I could definitely see Canelo.

Wouldn't rule out GGG though. Cotto's taken a ton of tough fights in the past. More than probably any other big name out there.

props to cottos camp and freddie well played

My dude Freddie Roach! :smokin The best there is.

Freddie Roach is the most overrated trainer of all time.

His fighters improve with him. Who do you think is think is better? Please don't say Roger.
Correct me if I'm wrong but when has he gotten a fighter and turned him into a champion? I'm pretty sure every champion he's ever trained was already a champion before goin to Roach.

Either Cotto vs Canelo or Cotto vs Lara please, whoever wins their bout can feast on Cotto.

I'm probably the biggest Lara fan on this forum and I believe he will lose to Canelo fair and square. No questionable judging needed.

IDK bro, southpaw, speed, power, if he can avoid Canelo's power he might pull it out bro. I favor Canelo in this one but I think it'll be a close one.

I can't wait for that fight.

Last edited:

His fighters improve with him. Who do you think is think is better? Please don't say Roger.
Correct me if I'm wrong but when has he gotten a fighter and turned him into a champion? I'm pretty sure every champion he's ever trained was already a champion before goin to Roach.

More often then not this is true. Provodnikov is an exception tho.

So you saying he's like the Phil Jackson of boxing? Welp. Fine by me! :smokin

IMO Martinez's condition takes away from Cotto's victory.  It wasn't even a competitive fight.  Cotto was moving more than Martinez when Martinez is the one known for being the "mover".  Martinez in humility didn't make excuses because he's a professional.  But you'd have to be a fool to think his injuries didn't affect him.  He has had 2 knee surgeries in the past 2 years along with shoulder surgery and a broken hand.  Martinez is just a shell of his former self unfortunately.

Cotto has yet to be in a real middleweight fight.  He can't hang with the top middleweights.  If he beats 2 of the top 10 MW fighters then I'll say he belongs in the division.  

Whats annoying is the Cotto fans (especially boricuas) on social media that want to act like Cotto just sweeped the MW division in one fight and hes some MW monster.  GGG or Ward will annihilate Cotto.

I was neutral in this fight btw since I like both fighters.

Andre Ward vs Miguel Cotto? We are talking about a blown up welterweight here. I do agree with the rest of what you said though.

I think we all knew this could very well be Maravilla's last fight. Idk that anyone thought it would be this ugly though. I think those that picked Sergio, myself included, made that decision based on questions about what Cotto might not be able to do as opposed to what Sergio was still capable of. The knee stabilizers should have been a huge red flag to warn us about his mobility but we may have all just been hoping that he was fully recovered, we should have known better and predicted using facts instead unknown variables and nostalgia.

As for a possible fight GGG the one thing we're not too sure of is his lateral movement against BOXERS. So far he's only fought guys who are willing to trade. If Cotto does that, rip. If he boxes, uses angles, changes direction, etc. he might have a shot. But I'd favor Golovkin if that fight was made today.

Like Kellerman said, Cotto dominated the (now former) middleweight champion of the world.

I dont think Martinez wanted anymore after the 9th. Sure he told his trainer one more round, but wasn't like he was getting up even though the round technically started. He said, "one more round" while sitting on the stool. If he really wanted it he gets up and acts the part.

Cotto looked like a different fighter vs Rodriguez but everyone said they needed to see more and against a better class fighter. We saw that tonight.

Personally I'd like to see a Mayweather rematch. The "old" Cotto gave him a run for his money. Would like to see this "new" Cotto against him. Either way, a Mayweather or Canelo fight would be a big time fight. for boxing in general.

Like Kellerman said, Cotto dominated the (now former) middleweight champion of the world.

I dont think Martinez wanted anymore after the 9th. Sure he told his trainer one more round, but wasn't like he was getting up even though the round technically started. He said, "one more round" while sitting on the stool. If he really wanted it he gets up and acts the part.

Cotto looked like a different fighter vs Rodriguez but everyone said they needed to see more and against a better class fighter. We saw that tonight.

Personally I'd like to see a Mayweather rematch. The "old" Cotto gave him a run for his money. Would like to see this "new" Cotto against him. Either way, a Mayweather or Canelo fight would be a big time fight. for boxing in general.

I see Cotto/Canelo next. Will be watching! :smokin

Back
Top Bottom