Please lock.

I want to say is... awe man. Sergio had an amazing career. But he was not ready or healthy enough to fight cotto. But...u gotta speculate, what if his knee was 100%, which it wasnt imo. What could have happened. But...I
Can't take nothing away from cotto. He looked impressive. His speed was on point. I was thinking a Floyd rematch would be nice. But a fight with canelo would be a better match up.

I have to believe he knew he wasn't 100% because he had knee stabilizers and that he underestimated Cotto, which is somewhat understandable.

If we take a look at Cotto starting with the first Margarito fight you can kind of see why Martinez took the Cotto fight aside from money.
- TKO Michael Jennings, a nobody.
- SD win over Joshua Clottey who arguably could have won if he decided to fight in the 12th round.
- TKO by Pacquiao, did no body work and tried to bully him.
- TKO Yuri Foreman who has no power and also re-injured his knee in the fight.
- TKO Ricardo Mayorga who has incredible power and is always entertaining but has limited skills
- TKO Margarito. Legit win but Margs had a crushed orbital bone and had an implant in place.
- UD by Mayweather. Entertaining fight but clearly lost when started to gas from the 9th on.
- UD by Trout. This is probably where a lot of us thought Cotto turned gatekeeper. Got outclassed and roughed up by a guy with pillow hands.
- TKO Rodriguez who was clearly two classes below him.

The Canelo/Lara fight is a 50/50 fight for me.

The winner of that should get Cotto.

Canelo/Cotto in September sells 1.5+PPVs

Dibella even said no problems with Sergio's knees. Sergio skipped the post fight presses and went to the hospital as a precaution bc he felt dizzy and didn't ever recover from the left hooks on the 1st round.

It's amazing how little credit is given to a great fighter and all the "his knee" excuses. That guy got outclassed by a superior boxer

His knees were fine. **** outta here with that excuse ****. Like a yr and a half of rehab and training camp. Sergio got his brain buzzed the same way Tim Bradley did vs Ruslan and couldn't fight his fight. Period

Last edited:
If Sergio really said he never recovered from the left hook in the first, there's no way I'm taking any credit away from Cotto's victory. I'm happy to have been wrong with my prediction :lol: that was great to see Cotto looking like Cotto of old a bit and abusing Sergio for 9 rounds. That work he did in the first round ****** Sergio up, Sergio has been rehabbing that knee and saying he'ss been 100% for months now.

Edit - here's the quote.

"I got hit with the punch and I was cold and I never recovered after that," said Martinez, who did not make any excuses about his twice-surgically repaired right knee affecting the fight.

Said Lou DiBella, Martinez's promoter: "He said that the first punch that knocked him down, he never recovered from the punch. He had no excuses. Not a knee, not a bad hand. Nothing other than he got caught and didn't recover.

I like Lara but pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee give me Canelo/Cotto.

Canelo is the only option for Cotto. No way he's getting anywhere near GGG and why was Andre Ward even mentioned? :lol:

Last edited:
Canelo vs Cotto is prob already drawn up.
he was supposed to fight Mac till Trout came in the picture.

Cotto back to his old self :pimp:

Threw some really good body shots.

Would like to see Cotto vs Canelo but he has to get past Lara first.

does ShowTime and golden boy have a contract with each other to do fights? if not its easy to see Oscar going back to HBO with canelo and them fighting over there. seen how ShowTime will probably get in bed with haymon/Schaefer if they bringing 20 plus fighters with them

Idk why there is mention of a Mayweather/Cotto rematch.  Mayweather will win again.  Cotto looked great against a handicapped Martinez but isn't a reinvented fighter.

Cotto should get past Quillin first before he gets a shot at GGG.  It would be interesting to see how Cotto fares against a young MW with no injuries.

If Cottos smart, he'll move back down in weight & avoid getting pummeled by top MW fighters.  He got what he wanted by making history & winning a title in a fourth division.  

If Canelo/Cotto happens, I have Canelo winning in the later rounds.

Cotto is not fighting any top Middleweight. GGG will break him in half. Canelo is the obvious choice, but we have to see if be gets past Lara. I expect Canelo to beat Lara. Canelo-Cotto has the potential to turn into a sequel.

Last edited:
^ I agree with your 1st statment, which is why I said if Cottos smart he'll go back down in weight and stay out of the MW division.

Canelo should be able to get past Lara.  Lara has no chin, Angulo exposed that.  I just think Canelo cant make the mistake of trying to outbox a boxer like he did with Mayweather.

Canelo/Cotto will only be a sequel if its a very close decision fight the first time.  But I dont see that happening.  I have Canelo winning a majority decision or TKO in the later rounds.  Cotto had trouble with Trout, and Canelo is a natural 154 pounder.

Last edited:
^ I agree with your 1st statment, which is why I said if Cottos smart he'll go back down in weight and stay out of the MW division.

Canelo should be able to get past Lara.  Lara has no chin, Angulo exposed that.  I just think Canelo cant make the mistake of trying to outbox a boxer like he did with Mayweather.

Canelo/Cotto will only be a sequel if its a very close decision fight the first time.  But I dont see that happening.  I have Canelo winning a majority decision or TKO in the later rounds.  Cotto had trouble with Trout, and Canelo is a natural 154 pounder.

I expect Canelo to beat Cotto decisively too. But the network and promoters are going to take advantage of their fans loyalty and try to milk one or two more.

Cotto looked great last night, much respect to that guy.

Having said that, it's still hard to believe he woulda done that to Sergio 4 years ago. He had a great plan to exploit Sergio's flaws but still, can't see him beating him like that.

Either way good win, Canelo-Cotto would definitely be interesting too.

does ShowTime and golden boy have a contract with each other to do fights? if not its easy to see Oscar going back to HBO with canelo and them fighting over there. seen how ShowTime will probably get in bed with haymon/Schaefer if they bringing 20 plus fighters with them
The issue is that the guy who runs Showtime Sports was the former attorney for Golden Boy and has a great relationship with DLH. So Oscar is gonna have to make a choice or someone will make it for him.

I think the scenario you mentioned is how it might play out too.

I can't stress enough how these **** head promoters having BFFs or not being able to get along is ridiculous.
mean.gif
It's 2014 man. We need a revolution.

Back
Top Bottom