Post pics of HIGH-END DESIGNER CLOTHING (pics)...............

Out of curiousity what makes these higher end denim better than other denim brands.  The key word to me is "better".  It seems that higher end denim and lower cost brands of denim achieve the same goal and that is covering your legs.   

When I was growing up, Girbaud was the "higher" end and they ran about 80 - 100 bucks a pair.  What do they put in denim so that it costs $1200?

It's a luxury item. It isn't a reasonable purchase, it's like buying an M3 over a Corolla, technically both cars can get you from A to B. Or buying Air Jordans over $30 Chucks, etc....

If covering your legs is the only goal, then why not go to Old Navy to get some $10-$15 jeans instead?

Before you say, "well with the M3 you get better performance, quality, etc..." to that I say you do get better quality with Balmains too.They are thick and you can see the stitching is built well and aren't made in China (just like you wouldn't want your M3 built outside of Germany). Of course at a certain price point there is a diminishing return but it's like buying an R8 over Mustang GT500, you get more power with the Mustang for a much cheaper price but you still get an R8 because it looks good and more luxurious (similar to Balmain). Of course the Balmains quality probably won't be tested to it's limits (you can probably roll around in concrete and it can stand up to it) but just like cars with crazy HP, it's just good to know that you can if you want to.

Of course I can compare those prices since I could and still can get stuff from those places for cheaper, and thats the final price I end up paying living in the state.

couple page back, Chris was trying on a the SLP Biker jacket in NYC store and notice that Barney NYC have the same jacket for a thousand less. Usually I will go to a SLP store if the product I'm looking are unavailable else where.
You can compare them but it doesn't make it a fair comparison it's not apples to apples.

Except in the case stated above where both items are not on sale, at US retailers.

You can compare them but it doesn't make it a fair comparison it's not apples to apples.

Except in the case stated above where both items are not on sale, at US retailers.

Jack, all the places I stated above are not on sale, they are regular price. I'm saying that retail price vary from store to store and SLP shop tends to always charge the most, I'm sure you are aware of that too.

Out of curiousity what makes these higher end denim better than other denim brands.  The key word to me is "better".  It seems that higher end denim and lower cost brands of denim achieve the same goal and that is covering your legs.  
Here are main differences.

1) (most important) is FIT- they usually fit better cause they are made differently

2) quality of the denim itself. Japanese denim is of the highest

3) usually hand made,hence why they fit better and all the holes,rips,abrasions, all done by hand aswell as the whiskering/honeycombing is done by sanding

Also take into consideration that Balmain is near the top of the luxury world. I don't like to use the phrase "you are paying for the name" it's more like you are paying for the reputation of said brand. That has to add to the price point as well and to me, no jeans are worth more then $500. Anything higher there is no real difference in terms of quality or construction.  

1) (most important) is FIT- they usually fit better cause they are made differently

3) usually hand made,hence why they fit better and all the holes,rips,abrasions, all done by hand aswell as the whiskering/honeycombing is done by sanding
I can accept that.   Lets say if  wrangler jeans did the same process to their jeans as the higher end jeans and charged 50 bucks for a pair.   Would you buy the wranglers or the Balmains.   

My point is most people dont buy the higher end jeans because of the points you illustrated.  They buy them so when people say "hey what kinds of jeans are those?"  They can say "enter you high end denim designer here"   Sounds alot better than "levi's".

Jack, all the places I stated above are not on sale, they are regular price. I'm saying that retail price vary from store to store and SLP shop tends to always charge the most, I'm sure you are aware of that too.
YSL.com and all it's boutiques charge the same suggested retail price as all the main US  luxe retail stores (barney's,  bergdoorf, neimans etc).

I'de rather spend $300 markup on a slp varsity than 4-5k markup on some bright red plastic made in china yeezy's. Now that's rape IMO. But to each it's own.....

YSL.com and all it's boutiques charge the same suggested retail price as all the main US  luxe retail stores (barney's,  bergdoorf, neimans etc).

I'de rather spend $300 markup on a slp varsity than 4-5k markup on some bright red plastic made in china yeezy's. Now that's rape IMO. But to each it's own.....

No one is talking about Yeezy here. And definitely not all retail price are the same. Bottom line is if you think thats a good deal then go ahead, no one is stopping you. No need to reply to me since you have your mind set, and its your money.

I can accept that.   Lets say if  wrangler jeans did the same process to their jeans as the higher end jeans and charged 50 bucks for a pair.   Would you buy the wranglers or the Balmains.   

My point is most people dont buy the higher end jeans because of the points you illustrated.  They buy them so when people say "hey what kinds of jeans are those?"  They can say "enter you high end denim designer here"   Sounds alot better than "levi's".

Nah, that isn't always the case. That certainly isn't what I buy them for. I really could care less if people come up and ask me what I am wearing, I actually hate it.

Stop trying to trap people into that logic, almost everyone here agrees it's a luxury purchase that is considered unreasonable and unnecessary, it's a want and not a need.

I am really not sure what else it is you want other than that, why does "everyone" have to want them for the name? I mean if you.ve read the thread, it's always a constant search for a biker jeans alternative because people are willing to wear and buy cheaper ones to achieve the look but to those who can afford Balmain and aren't starving to do so, then that is perfectly fine too.

It's like you tried to ignore my reply to your question so that you can make people admit they only buy for the brand name. Now don't get me wrong, that plays a role but people do buy what they like if and there are always alternatives that isn't overly skinny or faux leather (a la Zara) then people would try and cop those. Hell the Zara bikers in-store are sold out. So no need to try and open a can of worms and get people to argue with you about "branding" being the only reason to buy them.

But yes, if Wrangler makes jeans in similar style, similar fit, similar quality and made in Italy/Japan (hell make it in America and it's all good) for $50 and trust me, people would be running to Walmart trying to cop 2-3 pairs easily.

Last edited:
I really do not know what to say, I always get asked what I was wearing and when I say Balmain or Lanvin, I say it how it is suppose to be said like "bal-mahn" and "lahn-vahn" and I feel like I am being such a douche but it's just saying it the correct way yet it sounds snobbish. :lol:

Then they ask how much and where I got it from and I really just get embarrassed to say so I just always reply Barneys. :wow:

If they just say "nice shoes" or "nice jeans" then I just say thanks and try to get away as soon as I can. :lol:

Last edited:
Nah, that isn't always the case. That certainly isn't what I buy them for. I really could care less if people come up and ask me what I am wearing, I actually hate it.

Stop trying to trap people into that logic, almost everyone here agrees it's a luxury purchase that is considered unreasonable and unnecessary, it's a want and not a need.

I am really not sure what else it is you want other than that, why does "everyone" have to want them for the name? I mean if you.ve read the thread, it's always a constant search for a biker jeans alternative because people are willing to wear and buy cheaper ones to achieve the look but to those who can afford Balmain and aren't starving to do so, then that is perfectly fine too.

It's like you tried to ignore my reply to your question so that you can make people admit they only buy for the brand name. Now don't get me wrong, that plays a role but people do buy what they like if and there are always alternatives that isn't overly skinny or faux leather (a la Zara) then people would try and cop those. Hell the Zara bikers in-store are sold out. So no need to try and open a can of worms and get people to argue with you about "branding" being the only reason to buy them.

But yes, if Wrangler makes jeans in similar style, similar fit, similar quality and made in Italy/Japan (hell make it in America and it's all good) for $50 and trust me, people would be running to Walmart trying to cop 2-3 pairs easily.
Im not one to go back and forth with somebody, especially in a forum setting.  Im too old for all that.   I said what i wanted and Im done.

I guess being too old means you can't comprehend another reasoning, see a different side, change your opinion even with a valid argument?

Being stubborn does come with old age so I guess it is better that the conversation is over. I mean don't ask if you aren't willing to listen when someone answers.

Last edited:
BTW, here's the Rogue biker jeans I saw at Macys the other day, they also have 20% off them at the moment: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...1221#fn=sp=1&spc=26&kws=rogue state&slotId=25

Last edited:
:lol: what's going on in here?

Anyway I finally got my first pair of Balmains. Will post photos when they arrive. My first purchase of 2014, which is pretty damn good for me (2.5 months).

They felt exactly like mine and no I don't think it'll stretch so buy your own size or go to Macys and try them on beforehand.

They felt exactly like mine and no I don't think it'll stretch so buy your own size or go to Macys and try them on beforehand.

Yeah, I have several denim by them; I just was hoping to get that stretch feel..

Last edited:

When I was growing up, Girbaud was the "higher" end and they ran about 80 - 100 bucks a pair.  What do they put in denim so that it costs $1200?
mean.gif

I dont know why you guys bother having a back and forth with this kinda stuff.

I really do not know what to say, I always get asked what I was wearing and when I say Balmain or Lanvin, I say it how it is suppose to be said like "bal-mahn" and "lahn-vahn" and I feel like I am being such a douche but it's just saying it the correct way yet it sounds snobbish.
laugh.gif

Then they ask how much and where I got it from and I really just get embarrassed to say so I just always reply Barneys.
embarassed.gif

If they just say "nice shoes" or "nice jeans" then I just say thanks and try to get away as soon as I can.
laugh.gif
I know the feeling. My friends all look down on me when they ask how much I paid for my jeans or sneakers. They usually gasp and say "that's ridiculous" then I point at their tattoos and say "you have my pair of shoes on your arm".  My brother in law thinks anyone that pays more then 20 bucks for a pair of jeans is a moron. Meanwhile he'll turn around and spend 500 dollars on a golf club. Some people fail to realize that everyone likes to spend their money on stuff they like   video games, tattoos, golf clubs,paintings.  Mine just happens to be clothes and they cannot comprehend it.

But compairing oversees sites where vat is deducted is not an even compairsion. That's what I'm getting at. US to US, most companies have deals in place with miniun pricing. Mr Porter follows it but others don't, hence the lower pricing. I always ship around but I am talking about retail pricing in the US only. We on the same page, I buy most of my stuff from Matches for this reason. On the other hand SLP had a pair of jeans for $490 and Mr. Porter had them for $640. Ssense has the KVA for $840 and you can get the same shoes from Luisaviaroma, hypebeast store for $650. Real peeps know to shop around for the best price on EVERYTHING. I know you know this brotha.

****, all my friends think I get my stuff for 50-70% (I do get a lot on sale) off because I don't want to tell them the price. It's always on sale. Lol. The same people spend $100 on gems on some freemium iPhone game, or $600 on a tattoo. To each there own.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom