\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

Still dunno how Audi made it to #3, esp considering they're under VW which is #13.

Tesla really got burnt in this tho. Their stock plummeted after that "report".

still wish the IS came in manual. and was a bit roomier in the cabin. but for all the automation that luxury cars bring nowadays, i gotta give props to lexus. i generally feel like the more automated stuff u have, the more potential for something breaking. could be wrong tho.

I think the older 250's did. But yeah, I doubt you'd want to get an older IS, let alone a 250 just for a manual transmission :lol:

[thread="266081"] [/thread]
But Mitsubishi ain't up there pa you driving a death trap :frown:
well Mitsubishi hasn't made a car worth buying since 2006 so it's probably fair that they aren't even being recognized as a company anymore :lol:

There is a reason those German cars resell value is so low while V8 American cars hold their value more than any cars sold in America

But yeah believe a "predicted" reliability chart if you want
well that's false. Japanese cars take that trophy

Care to make a wager

How can you predict reliability though?

Was wondering this

“What we are looking at is, all of the vehicles that are on sale now and predicting the reliability of those vehicles,” said Jake Fisher, director of automotive testing for Consumer Reports. “We want to tell you what cars are reliable now if you went out and bought a car today.”

It shows how well new cars that are on sale will hold up based on the most recent three model years of data. The Consumer Reports survey asks respondents whether they have had any problems with their cars “in the past 12 months that you considered serious because of cost, failure, safety or downtime.”

A high response rate is the key to validity; survey findings are questioned when a low percentage of the population answers. So how many people respond to a Consumer Reports survey?

“Of over 4 million questionnaires sent this year, the magazine received responses regarding about 480,000 vehicles,” wrote Detroit News. If most people reported on two cars (because most families have two or more cars), that would put the response rate at 6%. Even assuming one car per family - we have a mere 12% response rate.

Response rates can be boosted with rewards, e-mail reminders, and follow-up cards; or a survey with low response rates can be “verified” by using follow up calls or other measures to ensure that the non-respondents would not have given different answers than the respondents. This costs money, but when you have the world's most influential auto reliability study, investing relatively small amounts in validity makes sense.

People who buy different car models also maintain them differently, according to various studies. As an example, American Honda owners clean their garage floors much more often than buyers of American cars. What causes a person to buy a car might also cause them to change the transmission fluid frequently, or not at all. This may result in different reliabilities.

Those who select from a manufacturer also are likely to have different driving characteristics than those who select from another manufacturer. Some people drive their cars more aggressively than others, which may wear them out faster. Some vehicles, e.g. Jeeps, are more likely to be used and abused off-road, resulting in earlier suspension repairs.

TLDR: Consumer Reports model is fine for items that don't undergo annual production changes and require little to no maintenance like vacuum cleaners, blenders and toilets. But when it comes to something requiring as much upkeep as a vehicle, their model is severely flawed and I wouldn't trust it.

How can you predict reliability though?

Was wondering this

“What we are looking at is, all of the vehicles that are on sale now and predicting the reliability of those vehicles,” said Jake Fisher, director of automotive testing for Consumer Reports. “We want to tell you what cars are reliable now if you went out and bought a car today.”

It shows how well new cars that are on sale will hold up based on the most recent three model years of data. The Consumer Reports survey asks respondents whether they have had any problems with their cars “in the past 12 months that you considered serious because of cost, failure, safety or downtime.”

A high response rate is the key to validity; survey findings are questioned when a low percentage of the population answers. So how many people respond to a Consumer Reports survey?

“Of over 4 million questionnaires sent this year, the magazine received responses regarding about 480,000 vehicles,” wrote Detroit News. If most people reported on two cars (because most families have two or more cars), that would put the response rate at 6%. Even assuming one car per family - we have a mere 12% response rate.

Response rates can be boosted with rewards, e-mail reminders, and follow-up cards; or a survey with low response rates can be “verified” by using follow up calls or other measures to ensure that the non-respondents would not have given different answers than the respondents. This costs money, but when you have the world's most influential auto reliability study, investing relatively small amounts in validity makes sense.

People who buy different car models also maintain them differently, according to various studies. As an example, American Honda owners clean their garage floors much more often than buyers of American cars. What causes a person to buy a car might also cause them to change the transmission fluid frequently, or not at all. This may result in different reliabilities.

Those who select from a manufacturer also are likely to have different driving characteristics than those who select from another manufacturer. Some people drive their cars more aggressively than others, which may wear them out faster. Some vehicles, e.g. Jeeps, are more likely to be used and abused off-road, resulting in earlier suspension repairs.

TLDR: Consumer Reports model is fine for items that don't undergo annual production changes and require little to no maintenance like vacuum cleaners, blenders and toilets. But when it comes to something requiring as much upkeep as a vehicle, their model is severely flawed and I wouldn't trust it.

interesting. see I would assume say lexus IS reliable simply because toyota has been pretty good on that. i mean you see old camrys and corollas still running, plus shout out to the toyota helix, pickup choice of rebels everywhere, word to Top Gear.

But, common flaws aside, and contrary to what you'd imagine after seeing that consumer reports graph, I see the same trend with subarus. in the northeast, you see a TON of foresters new as old as 2 generations ago. Its probably the best AWD practical daily driver car u can buy and the fact that so many old versions are still on the streets (in the NE at least) says something.

how is there that drastic a difference b/w Honda and Acura 
nerd.gif

You get all this tho

merch-gold__large.jpg

Not sure if DBNT approved but will rock if I ever get pulled over doin donuts at 200

why anyone would choose the weekender bag over da duffel is beyond me

hat and jacket combo with some stunna shades and i'm probably ready to pull some dudes over too

Last edited:
Lol yea the 25k donation is pretty pricy but when you own 250k car it's chump change. You could get a plate for the 2.5k donation I think.

lmao cant any big time drug dealer just buy this n get some leeway then

throw them plates on + some support our troops bumper sticker :lol:

Last edited:
Someone could ask a manufacturer in china to make those for a wholesale price of like 4 bucks a pop. It's just a license plate cover with gold lettering. Am I missing something?
I was thinking the same thing :lol: . Whoever is paying 25k for a license plate frame and a duffel bag is getting pimped by the cops, simple as that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom