QB THREAD - 2x quarterbacky award winner: Lamar Jackson

Matt Ryan doesnt turn the ball over more than Andrew Luck in any way...on a per game or int pct and he throws 36 passes a game too....where are you getting this from?

And yes its been said Rivers, Dalton turn the ball over alot too. Even with that Rivers throws less interceptions per game than Luck does. (0.8 vs .96)

The average NFL team gets about 12 possessions a game. So they are really valuable.

You can do whatever you want with those possessions offensively...You could throw the ball every play or run the ball every play....it really doesn't matter

The goal for the offense is to score some sort of points, when the offense turns over the ball its impossible to score points for your team.

Would you be okay with your teams running back fumbling a few more times because he had more carries than other running backs?

You based all this off last year, last year Rivers threw more INT's on fewer passes than Luck. So.......................

And Ryan threw 14 INT's, to Luck's 16, again, they are essentially side by side. Luck throws too many, but Ryan is fine, with TWO being the difference over an entire season? :lol:

Let me guess, Peyton's 15 to Luck's 16, no problem, right? :lol:

General would legit get me upset, hence why I haven't been in 6 years
laugh.gif
mean.gif
mMT8zbr.gif

I would not only be ok but expect my running back to fumble more if he had more carries

Kinda the nature of the beast

Luck out there trying to blow the roof off defenses... Matty ice been spending his career filling the basement with footballs.

I'm sure the Chiefs brass are pleased with Jamaal Charles lost fumbles vs the Broncos.

"Its ok.... you had the 2nd most carries "

Last edited:
No those numbers are career interception and touchdown numbers they are NOT just 2014 stats.

I dont get why you keep trying to misrespent my posts.

The top line of that post mentions 2014... That's probably why.

But those do appear to be career numbers, except Rodgers is 1.6, not 1.2.

Cant speak on the INT's per game part but I'm guessing you just did the easy math.

Yes the league average for interceptions per game (.9) and interception pct ( 2.5) in 2014 is on par with Andrew Luck's career interception numbers (.96) and (2.5) and 4.7 TD pct

Other active NFL quarterback numbers

AR12- 0.5 INT per game.....1.2 int pct....6.5 TD pct

TB12- 0.6 INT per game...2.0 int pct...5.5 TD pct

Peyton- 0.9 INT per game...2.6....5.8 TD pct

Romo- 0.7 INT per game...2.6 int pct....5.7 TD pct

Brees- 0.96 INT per game....2.6 int pct...5.3 TD pct

Roethlisberger-0.8 INT per game...2.6 int pct....5.1 TD pct

Wilson-0.5 INT per game...2.1 int pct....5.7 TD pct

Rivers-0.8 INT per game...2.6 int pct....5.4 TD pct

Flacco-0.8 INT per game...2.5 int pct....4.0 TD pct

Ryan-0.8 INT per game...2.3 int pct...4.6 TD pct

Newton- 0.8 INT per game...2.8 int pct...4.3 TD pct

Kaepernick- 0.51 INT per game...1.8 int pct....4.4 TD pct

Smith- 0.6 INT per game...2.4 int pct....3.9 TD pct

Tannehill- 0.8 INT per game...2.4 int pct.....3.8 TD pct

Eli-1 INT per game...3.2 int pct...4.7 TD pct

Stafford-1.1 INT per game....2.8 int pct...4.2 TD pct

Dalton-1 INT per game...3.0 int pct...4.8 TD pct

Cutler-1.1 INT per game...3.4 int...4.7 TD pct

Bradford- 0.82 INT per game....2.3 int pct...3.3 TD pct

Carr-0.7 INT per game....2.0 int pct...3.7 TD pct

Andrew Luck is ahead of the guys you'd expect but are his numbers better than of the elites or "top 10" quarterbacks?

Well, you put the league averages for 2014, and listed Carr, who only played in 2014. :lol:

Ok, so then the numbers I gave were for 2014, the total att p/g would be lower for the others then, Stafford and Luck are 1-2 overall history.

Bottom line, 38.5 attempts per game, 2nd most in NFL history, 1 INT per game.

Those are not ratio's of a guy that "turns it over too much" and doesn't contribute to winning football.

I put the league average for interceptions per game and int pct for the year 2014.

When I used career stats it actually helped Andrew Luck interception numbers because his low interception numbers for 2013 are factored in.

His 2014 interception pct was 19th in the NFL.

I put Carr in there because I put most starting NFL quarterback I could think of, Bradford is in there, he didn't play in 2014, so you should've known it wasn't just 2014 numbers.

And yes .96 interception per game is a higher rate than all the other elite quarterbacks and most good quarterbacks.

38 attempts a game is what it is. Theres 9 other active quarterbacks who have career averages of 34 or more passes a game. Only Palmer and Stafford have higher interception numbers.

And that's not even factoring in lost fumbles, which are too time consuming to look up.

Last edited:
Here's the crux of what I "think" MF is doing.

He's basing "turnovers are the worst thing you can do" and you get 12 possessions a game.

Both, are assumptions.

Not all TO's are the same. I've stressed that from jump.

You get 12 possessions (not always true) and 1 INT per game. That's 11 other possessions. Well, teams only average 28ish points a game, or 4 scores. That's 7 punts, or maybe a fumble, maybe end of half, game, etc.

What if the INT was 3rd and long, and ends the half?
What if INT leads to no points?
How are they "worse" than a punt?

They aren't equal.

Russ threw 4 in a game, and won.

Tannehill had zero last week, and lost to the Jags.

You're putting your assumptions/feelings/beliefs on turnovers, but not actual evidence.

In general, sure, TO's are bad. Absolutely. But not EVERY TO is. So 1 a game, maybe only 12 hurt. Or 7. Or maybe all 16, you aren't using context when you blanket statement, "turnovers are the worst thing you can do".

Peyton threw a pick six last week, and won. Mistakes can be overcome.

You're trying to make Luck some turnover machine, but it simply isn't true.

On Monday EVERYONE was picking the Colts, STILL, when it was 10-7. Luck already had 3 TO's, people still pickin the Colts to win.

You can't blanket 16 INT's in 16 games and say all of them are bad, or worse than the 6-7 punts per game What if there's a punt return for a TD? :nerd:

Didn't Luck have 3 picks, and was down like 38-7 vs Chiefs, and won? :nerd:

I've given 100 examples, context, stats, per game averages, totals, 50 game windows, everything.

You have 12 possessions per game, turnovers worst thing ever, 1 per game too much, and attempts per game don't matter.

Look at those differences.

I've given you examples how Andrew Lucks interceptions in 2014 vs the Eagles and Broncos could've factored heavily in the Colts losses. If the Colts win those games they have HFA in the AFC.

It doesn't matter what Russell Wilson or Peyton did or who they have supporting them because guess what?

Andrew Luck has who he has as teammates, coaches and front office, that's not changing any time soon.

Andrew Luck doesn't have a great defense although they were in the top tier in lowest amount of opponents drives ending an offensive score.

So he can't rely on them to bail him out.

The one thing he can do is cut down his turnovers.

Why is that so hard for you to admit?

Last edited:
This is basically what I am gathering from this argument.

* Luck turns the ball over a fair amount when looking at total turnovers.

* Luck's turnovers don't seem as high when taking into account how frequently he throws the ball.

* @CP1708  thinks that because Luck plays with a terrible defense and a non existent running game, his turnover number is excusable because he doesn't have the supporting cast to help him.

* @Mister Friendly  thinks that because Luck plays with a terrible defense and a non existent running game, his turnover number is even worse because he doesn't have the supporting cast to help him.

Am I understanding correctly?

........if so, I agree with CP wholeheartedly.

Because the data supports that he doesn't turn it over too much. So why should I have to admit he needs to do it even less?

1900 throws.
48 INT's.

Average of 1 every 39.5 attempts.
2.5%

* Luck's turnovers don't seem as high when taking into account how frequently he throws the ball.

* @CP1708
 thinks that because Luck plays with a terrible defense and a non existent running game, his turnover number is excusable because he doesn't have the supporting cast to help him.

* @Mister Friendly
 thinks that because Luck plays with a terrible defense and a non existent running game, his turnover number is even worse because he doesn't have the supporting cast to help him.

+1

Because the data supports that he doesn't turn it over too much. So why should I have to admit he needs to do it even less?

1900 throws.
48 INT's.

Average of 1 every 39.5 attempts.
2.5%

not only this, but i think MF cited he turns it over once a game or something to that effect and CP posted that through 50 games he has less INTs than a ton of other star QBs.

* @CP1708
 thinks that because Luck plays with a terrible defense and a non existent running game, his turnover number is excusable because he doesn't have the supporting cast to help him.

* @Mister Friendly
 thinks that because Luck plays with a terrible defense and a non existent running game, his turnover number is even worse because he doesn't have the supporting cast to help him.

Back
Top Bottom