QB THREAD - 2x quarterbacky award winner: Lamar Jackson

Great vid
pimp.gif
I don't like scouts reviewing the NFL.  They tend to fall back on excuses to justify their past draft analysis (i.e.  Brooks implying that Mariota is a system QB—"I'm surprised that Whizenhunt was able to tailor his system to make Mariota successful"—because that was his evaluation of him at Oregon).  Not egregious here but both of these guys have a tendency to do it in general.

That's the reason people still rate Sam Bradford highly or that Patrick Peterson got his big contract.  Because scout analysis are so hard for them to let go of.

Last edited:
I don't see the issue w/ what brooks said

All you can do is revisit your eval of a guy & compare it to what they're doing. Sometimes youre wrong, sometimes you're right

Wiz did tailor his offense to Mariota's strengths & capabilites & mariota is doing things he wasnt asked to do very often in college. Whats the issue?

I think everyone does it who watches a player and draws conclusions off of them based on what they have seen previously

Last edited:
Please, cool the logic Dre. There are some in here that want to lump Alex Smith and Andrew Luck together. Let them do that in peace.

That said, I do get what 100027 is sayin, just up to those scouts to be honest enough to adjust their opinions as they see things change for each player. Some are honest, others stay with their opinion no matter what.

Remember those tweets from Omar Kelly on Kirk Cousins and RG3? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't see the issue w/ what brooks said

All you can do is revisit your eval of a guy & compare it to what they're doing. Sometimes youre wrong, sometimes you're right

Wiz did tailor his offense to Mariota's strengths & capabilites & mariota is doing things he wasnt asked to do very often in college. Whats the issue?

I think everyone does it who watches a player and draws conclusions off of them based on what they have seen previously
That's why I said it wasn't egregious here.  I was more commenting on DJ and Brooks and the scout-to-analyst community in general.

IMO you should throw out your college evaluation of a player completely when he comes to the NFL.  It was a wild guess then and now you have real evidence in front of you.  What a player did in college is completely irrelevant to evaluating their current performance.

But a lot of scouts have a hard time even admitting they were wrong.  

Last edited:
No it's not completely irrelevant, yes there's a percentage of late picks who outperform their expectations but on a relative scale day 1 picks have longer careers than later picks for a variety of reasons.

Scouts to analysts talk this way because that's the way the NFL works. 1st rounders typically get bigger 2nd contracts and they have more fan recongition. It's "safer" for front offices to sign former 1st round picks.

I don't agree that's it's a wild guess, it's an educated guess. It's hard to evaluate the transition from CFB and NFL for a variety of reasons. But if a team studies trends and knows what they are looking for physically and mentally for their system they can up their sucess rate on draft picks.

51 games. 1 INT per game on 38.5 attempts per.

Top 13 all time fewest INT per attempt. 2.5%.

No need to mention any other positions or QB's with those numbers.

Misinformation again...2.6 int pct.....22nd all time.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...andrew-luck-ranks-dead-last-in-passer-rating/

The NFL’s passer rating formula is far from perfect, but it’s the official metric the league uses to provide a ballpark estimate of how well a quarterback is playing. And according to that metric, the worst starting quarterback in the NFL this year is Andrew Luck.

That seems crazy, but it’s true. Luck’s passer rating of 65.1 is the lowest of all the NFL’s first-string quarterbacks. The only players who have thrown a pass in the NFL this season with a lower passer rating are Bears backup quarterback Jimmy Clausen and Rams punter Johnny Hekker, who threw one pass, an incompletion, on a fake punt.

Luck’s passer rating is lower than that of quarterbacks who have been benched (Brian Hoyer is at 72.7), lower than that of quarterbacks who many observers think should be benched (Josh McCown is at 83.2), lower than quarterbacks who have been roundly criticized for their slow starts (Sam Bradford is at 72.5) and lower than quarterbacks who don’t look ready to play yet (Blake Bortles is at 78.3).

Perhaps most amazingly, all of the other quarterbacks in the 2012 draft class are doing better than Luck. Cowboys quarterback Brandon Weeden, a bust with the Browns in the same first round when the Colts drafted Luck, has a passer rating of 102.7. Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, drafted in the third round in 2012, is at a solid 94.2. Rams quarterback Nick Foles, a 2012 second-round pick of the Eagles, is at 87.5. Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill, another first-round pick in 2012, is at 85.5. Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins, a fourth-round pick in 2012, is at 81.3.

At least Luck doesn’t have to worry about his passer rating falling behind the player chosen directly behind him, Robert Griffin III, whose stock has fallen so far that Washington turned him into a scout team safety. There’s no chance of that happening to Luck. But there are questions being raised around the NFL about what has happened to this player who entered the NFL looking like the best quarterback prospect of his generation. Luck is off to a terrible start.

Last edited:
:lol: misinformation. It was 2.5 13th 5 days ago. :lol:

Clown **** from you as usual.

1 per game. 38.5 att per gm. (Oh wait, maybe its 38.4 now, I haven't checked in 72 hours)

Its wrong information.

If you want to quote stats, dont quote them wrong.

No need to get in your feels and name call because of YOUR mistake.

1 interception per game isnt good by modern standards.

Last edited:
Wasn't a mistake. It changed by a tenth after one game.

And quit cryin about name calling, sounding more and more female by the day. You got Alex and Luck neck and neck, good for you.

1 pick a game, when you have 103 TD's in 51 games, works just fine.

He's had a slow start 3 games in. Has slowed his overall pace, but he'll work thru it. He's already shown he can.

It was wrong information, you quoted a stat that was wrong and I'm not "crying" about name calling that's par for the course for you....I'm used to it from you.... you don't know how to discuss topics without name calling, misinformation, accusing someone of trolling, or not watching games etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom