Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained (a Spaghetti Western) scheduled for release Christmas 2012

Again I'm not even sure if I'm against the movie or not but Spike's problem isn't that QT uses the N word in the movie. It's because he doesn't want slavery trivalized to a Western comedy movie. Therefore if Spike made the movie it would still be in bad taste ACCORDING TO HIM AND THOSE WHO SHARE HIS VIEW POINTS. IT IS NOT ABOUT QT USING THE N WORD. UNDERSTAND?
i would understand that somewhat if it infact was a comedy....but it isnt... I mean i fail to see his point. I dont like this movie because it is according to him making fun of,mockery and turning a serious event such as slavery into a comedy eben tho the movie isnt a comedy. I mean i would even rock with him if he spoke out about this and ppl in general if they said this about all predominant black tv shows/movies that over stereotyped... made fun of etc...

But just like him and many black folks they dont... Sounds like a bunch of armchair activist. ANd while i respect spike and his work...he is the first one to say/complain about blacks portrayal in tv/movies...yet what had he done exactly...?

Him and alot of black ppl view of this movie kinda reminds me of those self righteous i carried hip hop fro 9 months and birth it ny heads...that pretty much thought everything out their region was gold..and anyone outside of them all made wake ish...or was ripping them off. That and how some ppl thought of opinion of eminem when he first came out.

cant wait to see
all that other **** yall 

talking about is irrelevant 
laugh.gif

Yeah...it's a shame really because that's gonna prevent some people from seeing what will likely be a good movie.

i've seen reviews referring to it as a comedy too

You thought "John Carter" was bad? The first act of this two-and-a-half hour comedy-drama from Quentin Tarantino makes "Carter" look like an award nominee.

http://variagate.com/django.htm?RT

at the very least, i'm sure the movie isn't trying to raise any serious conversations

I'm not trying to call anyone out personally, especially if I don't know them in real life but getting so upset by other people's opinion shows a lack of respect towards their intellect and right to express their views, based on their own personal experience and thought processes.

People pop off the handle ranting about the plot line of the new TMNT movie, a potential Space Jam remake or the misrepresentation of comic book story lines in major Hollywood films but cats can't intelligently talk about a movie dealing with the most sensitive aspects of their identity and ancestry?

Strikes me as suppressed bigotry spilling over.

Last edited:
i would understand that somewhat if it infact was a comedy....but it isnt... I mean i fail to see his point. I dont like this movie because it is according to him making fun of,mockery and turning a serious event such as slavery into a comedy eben tho the movie isnt a comedy. I mean i would even rock with him if he spoke out about this and ppl in general if they said this about all predominant black tv shows/movies that over stereotyped... made fun of etc...

But just like him and many black folks they dont... Sounds like a bunch of armchair activist. ANd while i respect spike and his work...he is the first one to say/complain about blacks portrayal in tv/movies...yet what had he done exactly...?

Him and alot of black ppl view of this movie kinda reminds me of those self righteous i carried hip hop fro 9 months and birth it ny heads...that pretty much thought everything out their region was gold..and anyone outside of them all made wake ish...or was ripping them off. That and how some ppl thought of opinion of eminem when he first came out.

Bunch of nonsense.

He (as well as tons of black people) have spoken about the portrayal of our kind in the media. But every time we are hit with "Get over it. It's entertainment."

And what has Spike done? Besides give us amazing movies with predominantly black casts that show the variety of our culture? Besides that, just go to Knicks games.

Don't even know what you're talking about with NY hip hop and I rather you not explain.

Yea not a lot of people are calling it a comedy. I keep reading western revenge movie
I promise you the word comedy is in 75% of all reviews. I'm not saying it is a comedy seeing as I haven't seen it yet. I'm telling you what movie reviewers who have seen it have said

Lee got beef with Eastwood too -

At the 2008 Cannes Film Festival, Lee, who was then making Miracle at St. Anna, about an all-black U.S. division fighting in Italy during World War II, criticized director Clint Eastwood for not depicting black Marines in his own WWII film, Flags of Our Fathers. Citing historical accuracy, Eastwood responded that his film was specifically about the Marines who raised the flag on Mount Suribachi at Iwo Jima, pointing out that while black Marines did fight at Iwo Jima, the U.S. military was segregated during WWII, and none of the men who raised the flag were black. Eastwood also pointed out that his 1988 film Bird, about the Jazz musician Charlie Parker featured 90% black actors, and sarcastically said that Invictus, his then-upcoming film about post-apartheid South Africa, would not feature a white actor in the role of Nelson Mandela. He angrily said that Lee should "shut his face". Lee responded that Eastwood was acting like an "angry old man", and argued that despite making two Iwo Jima films back to back, Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of Our Fathers, "there was not one black soldier in both of those films". He added that he and Eastwood were "not on a plantation." In fact, black Marines are seen in scenes during which the mission is outlined, as well as during the initial landings, when a wounded black Marine is carried away. During the end credits, historical photographs taken during the Battle of Iwo Jima show black Marines. Although black Marines fought in the battle, they were restricted to auxiliary roles such as ammunition supply, and were not involved in the battle's major assaults, but took part in defensive actions. Lee later claimed that the event was exaggerated by the media and that he and Eastwood had reconciled through mutual friend Steven Spielberg, culminating in his sending Eastwood a print of Miracle at St. Anna.

Toure's take:

Some bristle at Tarantino’s copious use of the n-word in this film, and in his oeuvre, which is perhaps the least valuable or interesting discussion point for a film of this import.

Slavery is the real obscenity, not this word. Tarantino has made the n-word a significant part of his canon partly because it’s a major part of American history. The view that he (or no one) should ever use it is simplistic and reductive, and attempts to correct a difficult part of history by stuffing it in the ground.

I’m uncomfortable with lazy, colloquial usage. But within the world of art the word cannot be simply erased. It’s part of the American linguistic songbook.

Tarantino has surely taken far more liberties with it than any other filmmaker, but his usage can be broken down into three buckets. Mostly he has used it to further the characterization of a morally bankrupt white person. From the thugs of Reservoir Dogs to the slavemasters of Django, when white people in his movies use the n-word he is generally signaling that they’re racist and thus despicable.

Tarantino has also put the n-word in Black people’s mouths to signify that they’re “supercool.” In this way, he is building on the supposedly badass recontextualization of the word that the hiphop generation has made infamous. The third way Tarantino has used the n-word is a single-serving group: Jimmy from Pulp Fiction, played by the director, who has a Black wife and at least one Black professional gangster friend. He uses the n-word but not to seem morally bankrupt or cool. He is far from either. Is it just for a shocking, subversive laugh? Seems so.

Rest of Article in Link

As far as the movie...I'm not the biggest Tarantino fan, but if this movie is as entertaining/good as Inglorious Basterds, I'll get around to watching it on Netflix.

I'm not trying to call anyone out personally, especially if I don't know them in real life but getting so upset by other people's opinion shows a lack of respect towards their intellect and right to express their views, based on their own personal experience and thought processes.

People pop off the handle ranting about the plot line of the new TMNT movie, a potential Space Jam remake or the misrepresentation of comic book story lines in major Hollywood films but cats can't intelligently talk about a movie dealing with the most sensitive aspects of their identity and ancestry?

Strikes me as suppressed bigotry spilling over.
So if you're not trying to call anyone out personally because you don't know them in real life, why even pull the "closet racist" card?  
laugh.gif
  Sure, you didn't say a name, but you made a blanket statement directed at someone or some people in this thread.  So we're just gonna make vague statements like that and just let it ride because you don't know anyone personally?   

When you insinuate that someone is a racist, please come with better proof than someone not being able to intelligently talk about a movie (intelligent is purely subjective, btw), or showing a lack of respect towards your right to express your views.  None of those instances lends any credence to someone being a racist.  Couldn't it just be that they have a different opinion than you? 

And could it be that your jimmies are rustled?  Because the only time I see people bring out the "closet racist" card without clear, concrete examples of someone actually being a racist, is when THEIR jimmies are rustled.  

Bunch of nonsense.
He (as well as tons of black people) have spoken about the portrayal of our kind in the media. But every time we are hit with "Get over it. It's entertainment."
And what has Spike done? Besides give us amazing movies with predominantly black casts that show the variety of our culture? Besides that, just go to Knicks games.
Don't even know what you're talking about with NY hip hop and I rather you not explain.
not as of recent... and not on the grand scale...he while i agreed bashed tyler tv shows like meet the browns...um where was this spectacular television programming from spike...? and i mean honestly in the last 10 years hes given us what maybe 5 or 6 movies...in which 3 were good... not exactly tons of movies... and not exactly a variety either..(granted if you look at his entire body of work yes) but im talking about as of lately as he is complaining about moviees as of lately... And as much as i like spike... he alike one of my favorite actors denzel...arent exactly universal ala like a will smith...

I wouldnt say he is one dimensional...but he relatively films/portrays movies from a certain limited aspect. I say this because you can pretty much catch 5 second clip of a movie and know right away its a spike lee movie...

I mean like i said how can you diss a movie about making fun of being a comedy when it isnt either.... Like i said this aint a tropic thunder...airplane...police academy type of movie as many ppl are trying to portray it as. And even if it was a mockery...so what...? I mean aint like black folks themselves aint made a tooooooooooooon of them, and also their should be a balance... i mean every movie aint gotta be on some miracle of st anna... but at the same time every movie shouldnt be on some tyler perry or dont drink juice in the hood either.

I mean i 100% get him in some respects...my only issue with him is that he really doesnt want to promote a balance portrayal of blacks, he only wanna show nothing but always good upright..etc... there is good bad whole realms to all races... seems like anything outside of some fight the power we shall overcome be proud black and beautiful malcolm x steez, then he has an issue.

Last edited:
not as of recent... and not on the grand scale...he while i agreed bashed tyler tv shows like meet the browns...um where was this spectacular television programming from spike...? and i mean honestly in the last 10 years hes given us what maybe 5 or 6 movies...in which 3 were good... not exactly tons of movies... and not exactly a variety either..(granted if you look at his entire body of work yes) but im talking about as of lately as he is complaining about moviees as of lately... And as much as i like spike... he alike one of my favorite actors denzel...arent exactly universal ala like a will smith...

I wouldnt say he is one dimensional...but he relatively films/portrays movies from a certain limited aspect. I say this because you can pretty much catch 5 second clip of a movie and know right away its a spike lee movie...

I mean like i said how can you diss a movie about making fun of being a comedy when it isnt either.... Like i said this aint a tropic thunder...airplane...police academy type of movie as many ppl are trying to portray it as. And even if it was a mockery...so what...? I mean aint like black folks themselves aint made a tooooooooooooon of them, and also their should be a balance... i mean every movie aint gotta be on some miracle of st anna... but at the same time every movie shouldnt be on some tyler perry or dont drink juice in the hood either.

I mean i 100% get him in some respects...my only issue with him is that he really doesnt want to promote a balance portrayal of blacks, he only wanna show nothing but always good upright..etc... there is good bad whole realms to all races... seems like anything outside of some fight the power we shall overcome be proud black and beautiful malcolm x steez, then he has an issue.

you don't think the media does a good enough job of already portraying the negative side of blackness?

Last edited:
Bunch of nonsense.
as far as nyc and hip hop...once upon a time anything outside of that distinct sound was typecasted... and frowned upon... ala like this movie... Aka like all south music was booty shaking and a mockery of rap etc...

you don't think the media does a good enough job of already portraying the negative side of blackness?
true... but it still should be a balance...look at for example dave chappelle show.. look at the boondocks...perfect examples of what i mean...

I would agree with him if he had a balance as such but he doesnt... for all the bashing he does on tyler for essentially being pretty much one trick pony or stay within a certain lane, so does he...except from a positive standpoint.

Just like with anything i respect the balance...i like comedy, but it would be bland if every comedian was on some politically consciousness like a eddie griffin or the recent chris rock... i like krs one but i wouldnt want every rapper out there to sound like him.

which reminds me the boondocks.... esentially the way some of you and spike are depicting this film is no different then something the boondocks has done ala the mlk episode, rosa park amongst others... Why wasnt he or any of you complaining having a problem with it then?

So i ask if lets say the chappelle show, the late chris rock show, or the boondocks were the same in terms of content except produced written by a white man...how would it be different other then the skin color of the person producing it?

Last edited:
true... but it still should be a balance...look at for example dave chappelle show.. look at the boondocks...perfect examples of what i mean...

I would agree with him if he had a balance as such but he doesnt... for all the bashing he does on tyler for essentially being pretty much one trick pony or stay within a certain lane, so does he...except from a positive standpoint.

Just like with anything i respect the balance...i like comedy, but it would be bland if every comedian was on some politically consciousness like a eddie griffin or the recent chris rock... i like krs one but i wouldnt want every rapper out there to sound like him.

which reminds me the boondocks.... esentially the way some of you and spike are depicting this film is no different then something the boondocks has done ala the mlk episode, rosa park amongst others... Why wasnt he or any of you complaining having a problem with it then?

So i ask if lets say the chappelle show, the late chris rock show, or the boondocks were the same in terms of content except produced written by a white man...how would it be different other then the skin color of the person producing it?

speaking of chappelle, you do realize that a big part of the reason he stopped doing the show was because he realized it was doing more harm than good, right?

his intention was to make satire using stereotypes to show how ridiculous they were, but then he realized the show was having the opposite affect in a lot of cases, and reinforced the stereotypes in the minds of many

Last edited:
speaking of chappelle, you do realize that a big part of the reason he stopped doing the show was because he realized it was doing more harm than good, right?
his intention was to make satire using stereotypes to show how ridiculous they were, but then he realized the show was having the opposite affect in a lot of cases, and reinforced the stereotypes in the minds of many
BINGO!

i get why he did it... but i didnt see a big uproar in terms of blacks with his show... matter fact isnt it the most popular most sold dvd tv show set in history? And so you telling me you was anti chappelle show? Also like i said what about boondocks? At one point matter fact as recent as a few weeks ago there was an appreciation thread for both shows... I dont recall any of you guys speaking in this manner about the show then. Also are you not a fan of either show... can you truly say you disliked any of those shows...what about the flip wilson show..or perhaps richard pryor or the infamous paul mooney?

Last edited:
At the end of the day is just a movie, which nobody is forced to watch or support ticket sales or be upset with anyone that does enjoy it or scream closet racist...
It's easy for some people to say this,until the tables are turned around which we all know,whether you want to admit it or not,that it wouldn't go over so well.

It's also easy to say things like "If you don't like it,don't support it,direct your own movie" and the likes because it's so much easier to cast aside,ignore,responde with some type of rebuttal than it is to understand or try too understand why some people would be offended.Knowing that the film industry is much more complex,where money is the driving force and where the artistic side takes a backseat ride and is regularly dropped off on some deserted stretch of highway that is rarely is a route anyone tries to drive down anymore. These type of opinion's has to be written off and basically ignored for the most part because it's not constructive to anything,they just wan't their entertainment,until the day the lightening strikes too close to them on anything they feel strongly about,it's always self serving bias.A good Example of that is the Newtown, Connecticut school shootings,where now some wan't to come back to the table to talk about banning guns issue again,while other's attitude towards the issue now is the same as Cam'ron's in the movie "Paid in Full" when Azie's character is recovering after being shot and he say's something like "People get shot,everyday B",as if it's no big deal and in reality it's not because people really do.

But that's really not the issue,what is,is Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained movie that's opening tomorrow and what I don't understand is how some choose to act like the little ol' topic of race is not suppose to surface about a movie that is centered around race from a director,who indirectly seem's to be making a career out of it.

Or is it just me who notice's that BET has been playing the movie "Roots" since yesterday and every other commercial is either a trailor of Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained movie or Mcdonald's letting us know that the Mcrib is back on their menu's while enticing with the sweet tunes of Earth,Wind and Fire?.

ksteezy should probably try using his got damn brain. :rolleyes

If 20 people buy tyler perry movies

and 15 of them are black.

the majority of Tyler perrys sales consist of the black demographic.

That doesn't mean tyler perry movies represent anything to do with the black community

I've never seen a got damn tyler perry movie in my life. :stoneface:

i get why he did it... but i didnt see a big uproar in terms of blacks with his show... matter fact isnt it the most popular most sold dvd tv show set in history? And so you telling me you was anti chappelle show? Also like i said what about boondocks? At one point matter fact as recent as a few weeks ago there was an appreciation thread for both shows... I dont recall any of you guys speaking in this manner about the show then. Also are you not a fan of either show... can you truly say you disliked any of those shows...what about the flip wilson show..or perhaps richard pryor or the infamous paul mooney?
It's unfortunate you thought I was disparaging Chappelle. I was agreeing with the statement that people aren't smart enough to understand satire and as a result stereotypes are further reinforced. It's like how all these bum *** rappers get Riley tattoos and chains not realizing he's a misguided 7 year old and the real champion on the show is Huey.

It's unfortunate you thought I was disparaging Chappelle. I was agreeing with the statement that people aren't smart enough to understand satire and as a result stereotypes are further reinforced. It's like how all these bum *** rappers get Riley tattoos and chains not realizing he's a misguided 7 year old and the real champion on the show is Huey.

and the difference between chapelle and quentin, is chapelle is invested in any repercussions that arose because of his show

quentin could care less, for obvious reasons

It's easy for some people to say this,until the tables are turned around which we all know,whether you want to admit it or not,that it wouldn't go over so well.
It's also easy to say things like "If you don't like it,don't support it,direct your own movie" and the likes because it's so much easier to cast aside,ignore,responde with some type of rebuttal than it is to understand or try too understand why some people would be offended.Knowing that the film industry is much more complex,where money is the driving force and where the artistic side takes a backseat ride and is regularly dropped off on some deserted stretch of highway that is rarely is a route anyone tries to drive down anymore. These type of opinion's has to be written off and basically ignored for the most part because it's not constructive to anything,they just wan't their entertainment,until the day the lightening strikes too close to them on anything they feel strongly about,it's always self serving bias.A good Example of that is the Newtown, Connecticut school shootings,where now some wan't to come back to the table to talk about banning guns issue again,while other's attitude towards the issue now is the same as Cam'ron's in the movie "Paid in Full" when Azie's character is recovering after being shot and he say's something like "People get shot,everyday B",as if it's no big deal and in reality it's not because people really do.
But that's really not the issue,what is,is Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained movie that's opening tomorrow and what I don't understand is how some choose to act like the little ol' topic of race is not suppose to surface about a movie that is centered around race from a director,who indirectly seem's to be making a career out of it.
Or is it just me who notice's that BET has been playing the movie "Roots" since yesterday and every other commercial is either a trailor of Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained movie or Mcdonald's letting us know that the Mcrib is back on their menu's while enticing with the sweet tunes of Earth,Wind and Fire?.

i wasnt speaking directy in terms of you as in you specific i was speaking in terms of like the spike lees out there etc... the ppl who are saying the angle direction in which django is coming from is a mockery... Im speaking on them saying how can they knock one and not the other...not even throwing in the fact that they havent even seen the movie. but are saying this movie is basically coming from that same type of angle.

Back
Top Bottom