Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained (a Spaghetti Western) scheduled for release Christmas 2012

You dont have to be a expert to hear the dialogue in the film and notice how unnatural alot of it is.  Imagine if I talked to you like this "Anton I don't agree with you Anton, Thats the problem I have with you Anton, ok Anton".  Does that even sound normal? QT had that script jam packed with nwords word to the Amistad.

I have no problem with whites or anybody in the movie saying the word. I've already said that.  My issue is the blatant excessive use of the word and people actually believing that's normal.  Also you say blacks were called worse right?  I know and in my last post I said that.  Where were all the other slurs and names?  Oh he didn't use them because they don't have that same shock value. 

Don't talk to me in a that tone homie.  Save alll your emoticons and talk like a man.  Don't insult my intelligence. 

Who are you to say what's excessive and what's not? Where you ever a slave? :\ Clearly if the purpose of this movie was to show the physical, mental and verbal abuse slaves had to endure, who is to say this is excessive? Would you feel better if he rotated some of his racial slurs or should the slave masters just treat the slaves with dignity and respect? >D

And I'm pretty sure if he was using words like porch monkeys (forgive my language) and other offensive terms you would still be complaining.

Last edited:
You dont have to be a expert to hear the dialogue in the film and notice how unnatural alot of it is.  Imagine if I talked to you like this "Anton I don't agree with you Anton, Thats the problem I have with you Anton, ok Anton".  Does that even sound normal? QT had that script jam packed with nwords word to the Amistad.

I have no problem with whites or anybody in the movie saying the word. I've already said that.  My issue is the blatant excessive use of the word and people actually believing that's normal.  Also you say blacks were called worse right?  I know and in my last post I said that.  Where were all the other slurs and names?  Oh he didn't use them because they don't have that same shock value. 

Don't talk to me in a that tone homie.  Save alll your emoticons and talk like a man.  Don't insult my intelligence. 

Who are you to say what's excessive and what's not? Where you ever a slave?
ohwell.gif
Clearly if the purpose of this movie was to show the physical, mental and verbal abuse slaves had to endure, who is to say this is excessive? Would you feel better if he rotated some of his racial slurs or should the slave masters just treat the slaves with dignity and respect?
grin.gif
I just prefer somebody making a movie about slavery to use real, natural speech for his characters. 

How come no other movie has used the word this many times?  Is QT the first person to really capture the "true essence" of slavery on film?   I'm curious to see why no other film about slavery, the civil war, etc has its characters speak like this. Why is that?

Never had to be a slave to realize that....

and stop with all the "do you want the slave masters to kiss the slaves butts and be nice" comments I never once said anything like that so you're barking up the wrong tree.  I'm sure your reading comprehension is above that.

Last edited:
I'm going to request either we make a new thread or just ignore the sensitive idiots because this back and forth nonsense of proving you're not really racist while making a movie about racism is pure ******g stupidity. Believe what you want, don't like the movie if you want, don't watch the movie if you want. Who gives a ****.

Movie was superb and up their with tarantinos best, I'm probably going to see it a second time

I'm going to request either we make a new thread or just ignore the sensitive idiots because this back and forth nonsense of proving you're not really racist while making a movie about racism is pure ******g stupidity. Believe what you want, don't like the movie if you want, don't watch the movie if you want. Who gives a ****.

Movie was superb and up their with tarantinos best, I'm probably going to see it a second time
why do you have a problem with discussing a controversial movie?

ohwell.gif
Clearly if the purpose of this movie was to show the physical, mental and verbal abuse slaves had to endure, who is to say this is excessive? Would you feel better if he rotated some of his racial slurs or should the slave masters just treat the slaves with dignity and respect?
grin.gif
I just prefer somebody making a movie about slavery to use real, natural speech for his characters. 

How come no other movie has used the word this many times?  Is QT the first person to really capture the "true essence" of slavery on film?   I'm curious to see why no other film about slavery, the civil war, etc has its characters speak like this. Why is that?

and stop with all the "do you want the slave masters to kiss the slaves butts and be nice" comments I never once said anything like that so you're barking up the wrong tree.  I'm sure your reading comprehension is above that.
Cool brah.  Next time write Tarantino and explain your preferences to him.  Maybe you'll like the next flick more if he listens to you.  

All that said, how do YOU know what the "real, natural speech" of whites was in the deep South during slavery?  Were you there?  All you're doing is guessing as to what is natural and what isn't.  You don't like the number of times Tarantino decided to use it in this film, so naturally you're tailoring history that you don't know about to fit your view.  

Bottom line:  you don't know (nor can prove) how often whites used *that* word back in the day when talking to slaves.  Stop nitpicking--you're sounding real salty right now.  Seems like you're trying to find a reason to be offended by this movie.  Enough already.     

because you can make a thread to discuss the politics. you're taking away from the actual film by the constant back and forth bickering of whether something is offensive or not, and you and i know for a fact that nothing posted in this thread is going to make you change your mind, so why continue? people would like to enjoy discussing the actual film rather than what you perceive as hidden agendas, racism, and offense.

It's not a back and forth. Powerballin is a hardheaded fool without an opinion.

People keep waiting for him to understand that, but he's hardheaded so he doesn't understand things.

HIs point is: "well...I just don't know. I've tried. I've tried resolving it within myself, but I can't get my discomfort over the fact that Quentin Tarantino, a white man, has made this film. It's American slavery. The Jews got to have Spielberg make Schindler's List. It's not fair. And he just thinks he can use the n-word all he wants. That's our word! It's 2012. We don't hand out ***** passes no more. We president now. I just feel like Quentin thinks he's down and you know what? That irks me. It irks me. I learned that word for yall! I can't even take one ounce of this film in without thinking about this old blackophile who made the film?

Q: Do you want to talk about the film outside of who happened to direct?

A: Hell no! **** would I do that for? He's white! That's what they want you to do. They want you to forget that. I can't. And yall some race-betraying Uncle Toms if you can. I see yall. Buncha Uncle Ruckus wannabes. You know this whole movie is just a ripoff of The Boondocks right? Mmhmm. I seent it. You need to get educated, cuz Illuminati Kanye Patrice Chappelle. You don't even know. You got no idea.

That Aaron MacGruder shoulda made this...mmhmm. Same film, same everything, just put his name instead of Quentin's. That'da showed them. 'From the writer of Red Tails,' that'd be some real ***** ****. But they don't know. And yall all drinking the kool-aid, yall got no idea."

That's Powerballin. He's hardheaded and ignorant and a cancer to this conversation.
He doesn't have a point, he just has an attitude. And it's not to say someone can't disagree with the film from that perspective, it's just he's trolling.
And yes, I'm black.

Last edited:

ohwell.gif
grin.gif

Cool brah.  Next time write Tarantino and explain your preferences to him.  Maybe you'll like the next flick more if he listens to you.  

All that said, how do YOU know what the "real, natural speech" of whites was in the deep South during slavery?  Were you there?  All you're doing is guessing as to what is natural and what isn't.  You don't like the number of times Tarantino decided to use it in this film, so naturally you're tailoring history that you don't know about to fit your view.  

Bottom line:  you don't know (nor can prove) how often whites used *that* word back in the day when talking to slaves.  Stop nitpicking--you're sounding real salty right now.  Seems like you're trying to find a reason to be offended by this movie.  Enough already.     
Name another movie about slavery that has characters using the word every other word.  I'll wait.  I've seen some hateful scenes in movies, I've seen it use alot but for a whole 2 hours and some change is unique.  Why is that?  If QT is being historically accurate why hasn't another movie used similar dialogue? There's plenty of other movies about slavery out there. Are you saying they aren't historically accurate?

It's not a back and forth. Powerballin is a hardheaded fool without an opinion.

People keep waiting for him to understand that, but he's hardheaded so he doesn't understand things.

HIs point is: "well...I just don't know. I've tried. I've tried resolving it within myself, but I can't get my discomfort over the fact that Quentin Tarantino, a white man, has made this film. It's American slavery. The Jews got to have Spielberg make Schindler's List. It's not fair. And he just thinks he can use the n-word all he wants. That's our word! It's 2012. We don't hand out ***** passes no more. We president now. I just feel like Quentin thinks he's down and you know what? That irks me. It irks me. I learned that word for yall! I can't even take one ounce of this film in without thinking about this old blackophile who made the film?

Q: Do you want to talk about the film outside of who happened to direct?

A: Hell no! **** would I do that for? He's white! That's what they want you to do. They want you to forget that. I can't. And yall some race-betraying Uncle Toms if you can. I see yall. Buncha Uncle Ruckus wannabes. You know this whole movie is just a ripoff of The Boondocks right? Mmhmm. I seent it. You need to get educated, cuz Illuminati Kanye Patrice Chappelle. You don't even know. You got no idea.

That Aaron MacGruder shoulda made this...mmhmm. Same film, same everything, just put his name instead of Quentin's. That'da showed them. 'From the writer of Red Tails,' that'd be some real ***** ****. But they don't know. And yall all drinking the kool-aid, yall got no idea."

That's Powerballin. He's hardheaded and ignorant and a cancer to this conversation.
He doesn't have a point, he just has an attitude. And it's not to say someone can't disagree with the film from that perspective, it's just he's trolling.
And yes, I'm black.
Learn how to have a discussion like an adult. you sound childish. If you have an opinion add it but don't just throw dirt and call names.

It's been 3 pages of people trying to get you to take a stance and defend it.
I'm calling it like I see it.

Who did you guys think was the worse villain Leo or Sam Jack?

I think Stephen was more easy to hate within the context of the story, but if we look at the characters on their own (outside of the plot) Calvin Candie is far more despicable.

Last edited:

Leo had some redeeming qualities and was charming, but he was pure evil. He committed the worst atrocities in the film (the mandingo fighting, laughing at the scars on Broomhilda's back, etc). However, Sam Jack may be the worse villain for the simple fact that he was such a disruptive force in the movie. They were about to get away with Broomhilda but dude had to snitch and ruin everything.

Last edited:

I think Stephen was more easy to hate within the context of the story, but if we look at the characters on their own (outside of the plot) Calvin Candie is far more despicable.

Candie (Leo) was far easier to hate. Dude was pure evil and Leo played the role like a boss. :smokin

Stephen having me rolling with his ad libs and hype man work :lol:

Leo should really consider doing more of these supporting Actor roles instead of always being the leading man. He could rack up the Oscars

Last edited:
Name another movie about slavery that has characters using the word every other word.  I'll wait.  I've seen some hateful scenes in movies, I've seen it use alot but for a whole 2 hours and some change is unique.  Why is that?  If QT is being historically accurate why hasn't another movie used similar dialogue? There's plenty of other movies about slavery out there. Are you saying they aren't historically accurate?

I don't think that using other films as the standard of historical accuracy is a good way to defend your point. It's obviously a very delicate subject so perhaps other filmmakers were less generous with the word in order to avoid the negative reaction that Tarantino is receiving right now.

Sam Jacks role as the self hating (maybe?) black man was more easy to despise in my opinion

That's a really good question. Cuz in the movie's perspective, dealing with the Calvin Candies of the world is just one big step in a long process of dealing with what slavery did to the black community. But the final step is dealing with the Sam Jacksons.

I'd say Calvin. What he did...what he represents is so ugly and insidious.

As much as Sam Jackson reinforces that slavery of the mind that he's been taught, it was Calvin and Calvin's father that taught him that. It's Calvin who's intelligent and open-minded enough to understand, back then, that black people were just as capable and intelligent, but needed to build (or accept) a whole scientific worldview about how they were born to serve, just to push that idea back down.

The ending just made it feel like Sam was the bigger bad, because from Django's perspective...he is. And to me, he was so many things I hate. He reminded me of Antwone Fisher's adopted mother.

But I get that. What's the point of all these people fighting so hard to make black people free, or one of their own would so easily sell them out and pull them back down to where he's learned black people belong.

Last edited:
Just saw it, thought it was amazing. I'm a huge fan of Leo, Waltz and Foxx so I had to see this. Very pleased with this film. There was some interesting comical scenes that I didn't expect but it was well done.
As for the audience, there were mad white people in the sold out show. Some of the stuff that these white people were laughing at weren't funny and were straight up racist. I'm cool about racist jokes and talking some **** but to hear 50-100 white people laugh at scenes that weren't meant to be funny was mad offensive. Me and my girl were not happy but what can you do?
I kinda noticed that too...White people were going 
roll.gif
while I was like 
happy.gif

Im Puerto Rican btw.

Just saw it, thought it was amazing. I'm a huge fan of Leo, Waltz and Foxx so I had to see this. Very pleased with this film. There was some interesting comical scenes that I didn't expect but it was well done.

As for the audience, there were mad white people in the sold out show. Some of the stuff that these white people were laughing at weren't funny and were straight up racist. I'm cool about racist jokes and talking some **** but to hear 50-100 white people laugh at scenes that weren't meant to be funny was mad offensive. Me and my girl were not happy but what can you do?

I noticed that too. :smh: Some of them where straight cracking at parts that where not meant to be funny.

For example
When Big Daddy was talking to the slave girl about how to treat Django. Soon as homegirl starting talking white people where cracking the **** up

Kinda reminded me about what Dave Chapelle said about doing scenes on his show and white people laughing off camera

Back
Top Bottom