Resume Tips?

Google yields quite a bit of tips but it is overwhelming and it is difficult to decipher between the good and the bad.

Any tips from experience resume writers or hiring managers is gladly welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

In my experience with writing many resume's these past few years and getting feedback from recruiters, first and foremost make things neat.  Nothing pisses off a recruiter/manager more than a messy resume where they have to search through the resume for specific things (aka GPA, certificates, the important stuff).  Keep in mind that they are also looking at dozens of resume's so at first glance if nothing catches their eye or they have to strain too hard, you better believe that your resume is getting written off
tired.gif

I've seen many different resume types/styles, but it really depends on what type of job you are applying for.  Most resume's I've seen has the same basic layout, but it's the small details that make a resume pop.  Usually you start off with you education or prior experience on top.  Either way is fine.  Then you have activities that are relative to the job such as internships or clubs/fraternities.  When you list things, try to keep things in chronological order, again, just to keep things neat and precise.  I've also seen resumes where they list things in order of importance, but in the feedback I have gotten from people who look at resume's daily, they prefer things chronologically.

Another thing that really helps is using bold, italics, and underlines. Don't go crazy with it, but bolding things such as job titles, and italicizing descriptions help separate and draw the reader to know what he/she is reading.  All in all, there are lots of different ways to write a resume, but take a look at different ones and pick and choose what you like about each one to write one your own way.  You can also get a couple templates and change things around accordingly.  It took me a very long to get my resume to where it is today, but it is definitely worth the time you put into it, so don't skimp on the presentation or information you put on it.

Good luck!
glasses.gif

I like reading the Evil HR Lady blog every once in a while for a laugh.  She also has some great information that is quite insightful and common sense once you think about it.

http://evilhrlady.org/

Here's a quick search for her posts on resume's.

http://evilhrlady.org/?s=resume

If you're really serious about a job, be intentional about the follow up.  Once you apply online, find out who the HR person is or who will be interviewing for the position and write them a hand written note.  This will definitely make you stick out since 99% of people will not take the time to do so and only spam the job boards with applications.  Next, schedule a follow up call with them for the week after you applied just to check and see how everything is coming.

Good luck.

Yes, cover letters are necessary for a lot of jobs. CLs are used to convey interest and perceived fit with a job one may not be able to convey in just a resume.

As an administrator in athletics and hiring many coaches, I believe that the cover letter is sometimes more important than the resume. I always read over the cover letter to see their experience, and more importantly, why they want the job. I then go over the resume and verify what exactly they did while holding a particular position. If the letter is well written and intriguing they have a much better chance of being offered an interview. I guess it just depends on the type of job you are applying for as everyone is looking for something different. References are also key after passing the initial test the yes or maybe pile.

results oriented

For your experience bulleted list.
action ; result.
Make it quantitative if possible.

Don't just list bullet points with your daily task. Thats called a job description.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

results oriented

For your experience bulleted list.
action ; result.
Make it quantitative if possible.

Don't just list bullet points with your daily task. Thats called a job description.
NEVER put results oriented.  That has become the most cliche phrase on resume's and may even get you thrown out of the pile since it shows a lack of creativity and that you just pulled it from someone else's resume.  But like you said, list why you want the job and how you helped your previous employers reach their goals.  For instance, were you recognized by customers for outstanding customer service?  Did you bring in any clients through relationship building our your sales skills?

Back
Top Bottom