Richmond, VA man commutes 7 hours total each day for his "dream job" in DC.

quote name="Osek206" url="/t/607049/richmond-va-man-commutes-7-hours-total-each-day-for-his-dream-job-in-dc/30#post_21617102"]
Why does this take so long? You must be deep in the C.o? I pretty much get to D.C at the same time it takes you to arrive in the c.o[/quote]

I'm in White Marsh and it takes me 45 mins with moderate driving conditions. During rush hour traffic it will be about an hour plus depending on the situation.

Not worth it at all, kind of a country mentality. And that 15 min swing is no joke. 15 min earlier will get you there on time, 15 min later and you'll be at work an hour late.
There really is no driving, just sitting.

Very true, homie doesn't have the car on cruise control jamming to and from work

some people actually like driving though.. i think the amount of sleep i get would be the Real issue...

if i was this guy i would live in MD.. and go visit my loved ones every other weekend or so.

I'm one of them, but this wouldn't be how I choose it, no fun sitting in traffic.

I'd do that depending on what the money is like. Wouldnt care either. I used to make a 4 hour commute total and I just listened to my iPod and the time fly right by.

Did you drive or take public transport? If public then you can catch up on some sleep, read, study whatever. If driving then not worth it.

^^ This story is just to stupid. After 6 months of working my current job I knew it was
completely not worth it. I only have a 45-1hr max commute
but for the salary of 65k vs. quality of life It didn't fit but I was out of work for a year and
needed a job ASAP. My previous job in seattle was 5-8
minutes from my apartment.:smh: The salary's tho in the DMV are legit though and
so is the price of living.:lol:
. I'm done either I move back westor take a pay cut and chill in
bmore for another year.

120k would'nt be worth it, I would'nt even take 200k-250k. Hes probably unhealthy,
due to not have time to work-out or eating healthy foods
and if not stressed at work, that traffic is unreal no matter what podcast your listening to.

Very true, when I first came out here I was holding everything down while wife took care of our son. Couldn't believe the people we met complaining about being broke. Some of them were couples both working and still crying broke :smh:

My first thought was "This is doable if he goes by train".

He drives? :x

With a train you can get a good amount of sleep to and from. That would definitely be doable.

THat time could be used productively, not that I would do it. If you have to at least that way you make the best out of it.

I just don't understand the mentality. I've known people who live really far away from where they work just because it's "cheap". One friend of mine told me her commute was an hour and a half each way (by car), five days a week. She could have found a place for probably a couple hundred dollars more a month, and be ten minutes away from work. The money she'd save on gas would have easily made up the difference.

I also know people who live really far away because they like to live in big houses, but don't want to pay city prices. It allows them to drive expensive cars...but their commute is three hours round trip, every day.

The crazy thing is, he could find a place less than an hour outside of DC for what he paid for his house in Richmond. I'm curious if his significant other works....I mean dude will NEVER be there for anything his kids do during the week.

he could live in PG county and stack all those savings from oil changes and commuting expenses
pimp.gif

could live in hyattsville or college park, take the green line to Archives and walk to his job at DOJ 
pimp.gif

nthat.gif

Last edited:
Wait, I just reread the article and this man is driving 220mi each way? That's a round trip of 440mi in a day. This man is filling up at the pump once or twice everyday depending on what kinda car he drives.

Last edited:
Wait, I just reread the article and this man is driving 220mi each way? That's a round trip of 440mi in a day. This man is filling up at the pump once or twice everyday depending on what kinda car he drives.

110 each way.

i would do this commute if i was getting a 120k salary
if it was 120k clean after taxes probably. at the same time all the gas he spends adds up to a lot of dough so that would cut into the money.

If he commutes 35 hours a week to his dream job, I wouldn't necessarily count the 40 hours on the job as work if he loves the work as much as he says he does. 

Its still not practical in my eyes, but I ain't mad at him. 

Lol hes an idiot. Anybody traveling from Fredricksburg and down to DC (vice versa) is dumb. Move to MD call it a day, you are wasting years of your life sitting in the car. I know some people that commute like that but they only go in to work 2-3 days a week. That 95S traffic is insane complete stop by 2PM 
sick.gif

maybe he works from home some days?

theres lots of DOJ employees that work remotely...

I see people like this all the time at my job...

It's kinda hard seeing people that don't quite grasp the whole 'Quality of Life' concept, but they have their reasons of putting up with so much for their jobs...

I work in Baltimore...

I know a lady that drives from Martisburg, WV (almost 100 mi. each way) into town for work...

A couple of people that I work with live across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and make the commute every day...

Hell, even I had to commute from Baltimore to Springfield, VA for work every morning for about 3 months... (I was already on the clock during my commute so I got paid for that long drive and I used a gov't vehicle :pimp: )

But knowing how those long *** commutes are, I feel for the folks in the work force that put up with that everyday...

If you can put up with it, more power to you, but I honestly don't think I could deal with any commute outside of 1Hr door-to-door...

This is why there is nothing to do in VA everybody is spending their time working/commuting to know what to do with their down time. Woman i work with commutes from Orange County to Woodbridge and sometimes all the way up to Fairfax

I can believe it. I live in Newport News va right outside of Ft Eustis it was a guy that stayed right around the corner from me that would commute to dc for his job in the white house.

I hope he did that once a week and had a crib up there :smh:

Even if you're sick and need to go home, you have a two and a half hour drive ahead of you.

People like him are stealing jobs from people that actually live up here.

The nerve of him commuting up here just to work but spending all his money down in Richmond. :smh:

Last edited:
This is exactly like one of them extreme/ worst case examples of commuting vs living where you work from my econ classes :smh: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom