RIP Manute Bol

he was 47. more news to come later.
nike-big-nike-throwback-thursday-9.jpg

Living in the Bay i saw a lot of Manute Bol. I used to scream every time he tossed up a 3. lol RIP

Manute Bol passes away at age 47

Today - 2:30 PM ET

NBA player and humanitarian Manute Bol passed away at age 47 on Saturday after battling acute kidney failure and skin disease.

Bol, who stood 7'7", blocked 3.3 shots per game during his NBA career, despite averaging under 20 minutes. But his true legacy might be his selfless efforts off the cour -- the link below leads to one of the many charities Bol supported, an organization that educates and provides medical care for at-risk Sudanese youths.

RIP.

RIP... guy was heavy into philanthropy too. Beyond being a good NBA player, he was a great man.

RIP.

[h1]
[h1]Manute Bol, retired basketball player, has died
By Justin Kendall, Saturday, Jun. 19 2010 @ 12:52PM
Categories: Sports
Share64
1diggdigg

Manute Bol (left) died Saturday.
​Retired NBA player and Olathe resident Maute Bol died today, according to a Facebook message from Bol's friend, Tom Prichard.

Bol, who was hospitalized May 12 with acute kidney failure and Stevens-Johnson Syndrome (described as a potentially deadly skin disease), was 47.

In a message sent today via Facebook, Prichard wrote:

I am very sorry to pass on the news that Manute Bol died this morning at UVA Hospital in Charlottesville, VA. Please hold his family in your prayers.

If you would like to leave messages for his family here, we will see they get them.

"Well done, good and faithful servant."

Sudan and all the world will miss you.

At one time, the 7-foot-7 center was the tallest player in the NBA. Bol started his career in 1985 with the Washington Bullets. He was known for his shot blocking. He played for the Golden State Warriors, Philadelphia 76'ers and Miami Heat, ending his career during the 1994-95 season.

Bol spent much of his pro basketball money on charitable efforts to end the violence in Sudan. Bol's Sudan Sunrise foundation is based in Lenexa, Kansas.

In May, a "get well soon" Facebook page dedicated to Bol said the former basketball player "was so determined to help with the election in Sudan, he postponed needed medical care."

That led to trouble upon Bol's return stateside. Bol flew into Dulles International Airport and stayed the night. He was supposed to fly back to Kansas, but Bol had to be rushed to a hospital.[/h1]
[/h1]

He died in the continuing effort to help his native land Sudan, I do not believe He would have had it any other way.

God Bless him, and pray that his dream of a better Sudan lives on, and someday soon becomes a reality.

-Jacob

Back
Top Bottom