RIP New York Hip-Hop? (Need Some Feedback)

A whole load of powerful people in the record industry......... your defending Thug who has Lyor Cohen & Kev Liles behind him tho... the same guys who found Fetty Wap's soundcloud page.. which contained his three biggest singles for MONTHS completely free... and then turned those three singles into platinum records & a Gold album. Fetty's biggest songs off that album were legit online for free for a cool year and somehow he managed to go gold but i digress... at the end of the day if ya'll think Thug is the hottest in the game go head and tell yourself that, i heard the **** two years ago, heard it again last year & we will continue to hear new excuses as to why the New Wayne is doing flatbush zombie #'s
laugh.gif

Now speaking of New York, this G-Unit mixtape that leaked is actuall a million times better than i expected

I never said Thug was the hottest in the game but I guess strawman's is what y'all _'s resort to when you don't have anything else to say on the matter 
laugh.gif

Also, if you think Lyor and Kevin are the main people behind Fetty's success I dont really know what to tell you. He could've got backing and had success wherever. When you got radio ready hits that are already proven hits on the internet/your region, a lot of the work is already done. They couldn't really do nothing with Wake Up now he just dropping singles every week tryna see what sticks. His album supposed to drop this year but unfortunately is more than likely getting pushed back if he dont find a hit or drop a tape.

Last edited:
I never said Thug was the hottest in the game but I guess strawman's is what y'all _'s resort to when you don't have anything else to say on the matter :lol:

Also, if you think Lyor and Kevin are the main people behind Fetty's success I dont really know what to tell you. He could've got backing and had success wherever. When you got radio ready hits that are already proven hits on the internet/your region, a lot of the work is already done. They couldn't really do nothing with Wake Up now he just dropping singles every week tryna see what sticks. His album supposed to drop this year but unfortunately is more than likely getting pushed back if he dont find a hit or drop a tape.

btw the single they "couldn't do nothing with" charted higher than Any thug song since best friend (which was a year and change ago).

New Dave East

Last edited:
I follow Fetty Wap I know where it charted (right inside the top 50) but it's obvious that song was aimed at a demographic that didn't take to it like they thought it would have. Thats why he dropping back to back singles on apple music and although its really early they're flying under the radar as well

He's getting more attention over the school ****

Last edited:
2012 Chainz - Resume

Mercy - #1 Hiphop/R&B record in country, 3X platinum
No Lie - #1 hiphop/R&Br ecord in country, 1x platinum
Birthday song - #10 Hiphop/R&B record in country, 2x platinum
I'm different - #6 Hiphop/R&B record in country, 2x platinum

2015/16 Young Thug - Resume

#9 Hiphop/R&B record in country, 1x platinum (early 2015 also)
GIANT Gap

With them - # 26 Hiphop/R&B record in country
# 1 at Monday nights at the blue flame

Yet Thug is on Par with having a 2Chainz like run........ illusions running rampid.

You're the only one being delusional....claiming people were saying Thug is viewed in the same tier as Kendrick and Cole :lol:. Nobody said that.

I meant to say 2011 2 Chainz. The one that was killing mixtapes (True Realigion) and bubbling on radio (Spend it, Riot) etc. Also, him and Future had their city on lock at the time. Thug is in that spot. And that's a great spot to be in.

It's also unfair to list those 2 Chainz songs because those songs were Kanye and Drake assisted.

Whenever Thug decides to drop an album....you'll see the same type of numbers as Kevin gates. Who like thug, dropped multiple free mixtapes before his album that sold 20k plus.

i'm done talking about thug specifically in this thread man. my point was proven by ya'll responses in this thread. Ya'll view being "hot" within a very small scope.

All it takes for an artist to be "hot" for some people, is to overflow with music, get a lot of play in clubs, be adored in a certain niche of rap fans and wala. that's great but in terms of people supporting your records, your shows, your brand a lot of the "hot" artist just ain't translating.

You just said Thug has his town on smash.... we are talkin Atlanta which also houses 2chainz, Gucci, Future, Jeezy, T.I........ all who will outsell, out tour, and are much more largely known than thug is this very second.

However because those artist aren't currently on local radio every second, popular on social media, and killing the club some would say those artist are washed or no longer relevant, despite every # saying other wise and being relevant to a much broader scale of people outside of one lane. it's the dumbest logic i've ever seen.

Yea so & so artist can outsell me, outbook me, has more pull, more notoriety... but because i have these small areas on smash i'm way hotter than him.

Now speaking of New York, this G-Unit mixtape that leaked is actuall a million times better than i expected

Yep. Could do without Kidd Kidd but I wasn't expecting it to be so good either. I think the most telling thing is this is probably the best G-Unit release since the reunion, and has no 50 Cent involvement other than a remix to that terrible Phresher song.

^^^^Strawman gon strawman :lol:

It was fun while it lasted. If you don't see how selling free mixtapes at large quantities...while maintaining a presence on the billboards, getting AirPlay in the clubs across the country, networking with the industry elite, and navigating social media is a win....idk what to tell you.

Thug may never be some elite level cross over superstar rapper that you think we see him as...but you're delusional if you think he isn't one of the "hottest dudes" out because his free mixtapes dont sell 200k units in the first week

:rofl:

Last edited:
^^^^Strawman gon strawman :lol:

It was fun while it lasted. If you don't see how selling free mixtapes at large quantities...while maintaining a presence on the billboards, getting AirPlay in the clubs across the country, networking with the industry elite, and navigating social media is a win....idk what to tell you.

Thug may never be some elite level cross over superstar rapper that you think we see him as...but you're delusional if you think he isn't one of the "hottest dudes" out because his free mixtapes dont sell 200k units in the first week

You stated earlier that A$AP ferg flopped doing 35K on his second sole project ever.. outside of what you call a major album roll out :lol:... what is he doing that thug isn't

Maintain a presence on billboard check, getting air play in clubs across the country check, networking with industry elite check, Major worldwide tours check.

Yet one is from ATL = "one of the hottest...... The one from NYC = Flopped... how does one quantify this kind of logic

You stated earlier that A$AP ferg flopped doing 35K on his second sole project ever.. outside of what you call a major album roll out :lol:... what is he doing that thug isn't

Maintain a presence on billboard check, getting air play in clubs across the country check, networking with industry elite check, Major worldwide tours check.

Yet one is from ATL = "one of the hottest...... The one from NYC = Flopped... how does one quantify this kind of logic

Can I go and listen to ASAP Ferg's entire album on soundcloud right now....FOR FREE? No

But I can listen to Young Thug's entire MIXTAPE for free right now...the same MIXTAPE sold more than Fergs ALBUM?....for FREE RIGHT NOW.

Yes

Last edited:

Man what? :lol:

ASAP Ferg did 35k on a studio album with real money spent on physicals and features from Big Sean, Chris Brown, Missy Elliot, Skrillex, Ross, Future, Schoolboy Q, and Uzi

Thug dropped a month before that and did 38k on SS3 a free tape with features from distinguished greats such as Lil Duke, Yak Gotti, and Peewee Roscoe :rofl: :smh:

I'm bout to unsubscribe from this joint

Last edited:

ASAP Ferg did 35k on a studio album with real money spent on physicals and features from Big Sean, Chris Brown, Missy Elliot, Skrillex, Ross, Future, Schoolboy Q, and Uzi

Thug dropped a month before that and did 38k on SS3 a free tape with features from distinguished greats such as Lil Duke, Yak Gotti, and Peewee Roscoe :rofl: :smh:

I'm saying man.

trynafeelmink trynafeelmink just don't get it. Idk how many times this has to be explained to him.

People are BUYING multiple FREE Young Thug MIXTAPES....with little promotion.....at the same rate or more than they're buying retail ALBUMS for sale, with big budgets from certain artist.

So let me get this straight, Push drop a Studio Album with real money spent on pressed up physicals in the stores and a short film to promo while referring to it as a Album the whole time and it's a "mixtape/EP", meanwhile Thug drop a actual mixtape thats for sale on iTunes but FREE to stream all day and night on Soundcloud, Hotnewhiphop, etc no physicals and y'all insist on calling it a album to clown the sales numbers :lol: :smh:

The big part y'all missing out on is you don't have to cash out or even illegally download Thugs ****, they're willingly giving it to you for free :lol:

When Hotnewhiphop posted the SS3 sales they noted that they're low but also noted that Thug must not care about sales that much at least yet because he gave them the **** to steam completely for free without expecting those streams to count towards his sales

If Thug is doing the same numbers these _'s albums are doing off mixtapes that I can literally listen to right now on the free version of Soundcloud, I think it's safe to say they aren't in the same tier bro :lol:

Edit: I'm honestly done in here _ just gonna continue to move the goalposts :lol:  

_'s comparing Chance who got a who's who of powerful *** people in music behind him (which I already broke down in here) to "trap rappers" :lol:

Meanwhile, 'No Problem' the Chance single getting hella spins on the radio right now is a Desiigner-esque Thug impersenation :rofl:  

Wouldn't it be MORE IMPRESSIVE if a PAID ALBUM is moving the same or more units than a free mixtape that just happens to be on itunes on some donation **** like if your just feeling generous and want to support the artist :lol: ? I swear y'all _s love to narrative shift when it comes to protecting your false proclamations. Like you cannot really believe what you just typed

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be MORE IMPRESSIVE if a PAID ALBUM is moving the same or more units than a free mixtape that just happens to be on itunes on some donation **** like if your just feeling generous and want to support the artist :lol: ? I swear y'all _s love to narrative shift when it comes to protecting your false proclamations. Like you cannot really believe what you just typed

Your head hurts.

Aite Fam ya'll got it if Thug wasn't giving away free mixtapes i'm sure he would be doing 150K in sales each time... so instead of actually releasing them as albums and making the money Lyor Cohen has decided it's a better business strategy to forego the sales and just give them away to mixtape sites.

Dudes are really trying to proclaim that one of the most notorious record execs in the industry who has been around since damn near the inception of rap is willingly telling thug to release free mixtapes :smh:

They doing this **** because he's dropped 3 full projects this year and only had 2 songs off them even make a chart. Son has gotten a major cosign from Kanye, T.I, Birdman, Nicki, Usher & somehow has not been able to reach the mainstream success he had damn near two years ago. but we got it thug is a star.. a star who has not been able to catch enough momentum to drop an album in a two year span... but he's a star

Another Don Q body on radio... son is showing hella promise

Last edited:
Lyor has definitely harmed Thug's career trying to manufacture that "perfect storm" of a takeoff single.

But that has nothing to do with Thug himself being hot or not.

I think it comes down to your metric of what's hot. I'm in college and I can tell you right now no one my age gives a **** about album sales or even albums period. Some people have Apple Music/TIDAL/Spotify memberships but a lot of people just will peep the tracks that make it to the monthly "Hot Tracks" Spinrilla compilations.

If you're around 30 or older, you're probably looking at old metrics of what's hot but for 15-25 year olds, how often you get played on the aux, how often you are played at clubs/parties, and your social media presence/how often you come across the timeline is what makes you hot. Not saying that this "hotness" isn't short lived (as evidenced by Fetty being on top of the world a few months ago and now can't catch a hot single), but that's another convo. G-Eazy is apparently a multiplatinum artist and I've never heard a record from him in anyone's car or in the club/party. 
Aite Fam ya'll got it if Thug wasn't giving away free mixtapes i'm sure he would be doing 150K in sales each time... so instead of actually releasing them as albums and making the money Lyor Cohen has decided it's a better business strategy to forego the sales and just give them away to mixtape sites.

Dudes are really trying to proclaim that one of the most notorious record execs in the industry who has been around since damn near the inception of rap is willingly telling thug to release free mixtapes
mean.gif
I think what you're missing is that these mixtapes would be free otherwise. Lyor is monetizing what rappers have been doing for years.

In Lyor's eyes, Thug hasn't caught that  single to be able to warrant for a "real" album. So in the meantime, Thug is flooding the streets to get his buzz up. He could be giving them away for free but instead he's charging for them and selling more than some major label artist's retail albums with big budget features and videos.

To simplify it, it's basically like if Ross put Rich Forever on iTunes or Wiz put Taylor Allderdice on iTunes or if Wayne put his 05-08 tapes on iTunes. They're monetizing buzz mixtapes that would be free anyways.

Last edited:
Only in this thread...is monetizing mixtapes a bad idea :lol:. Mixtapes = low cost. They are getting returns on a low cost product.

The thought on mixtapes USED to be, flood the streets with your mixtapes. Build up fan base. Recoup the profits later on tours and songs etc from said mixtapes. Use fan base from mixtapes & singles to release album when ready. Almost like giving testers, and have em come back for your full course meal.

Now, people are paying for thug's "testers" multiple times a year.....at a rate that is = to/more than some established artists full course meals. I mean, imagine if Future sold...Monster, Beast Mode & 56 nights back to back to back.

Thug is also currently on the #33 song in the country right now (and rising)......."No Limit" by usher. He's doing alright. Could be better though.

I will agree that the label isn't yet confident in a full length thug project. He doesn't have a mixtape that you can hold up and say...THIS is the project you should check. Just loose singles here and there. This is all part of the process:

-gauge interest
-monetize on a low cost project
-build fanbase.

Business wise, it's smart as hell.

Lyor has definitely harmed Thug's career trying to manufacture that "perfect storm" of a takeoff single.

But that has nothing to do with Thug himself being hot or not.

I think it comes down to your metric of what's hot. I'm in college and I can tell you right now no one my age gives a **** about album sales or even albums period. Some people have Apple Music/TIDAL/Spotify memberships but a lot of people just will peep the tracks that make it to the monthly "Hot Tracks" Spinrilla compilations.

If you're around 30 or older, you're probably looking at old metrics of what's hot but for 15-25 year olds, how often you get played on the aux, how often you are played at clubs/parties, and your social media presence/how often you come across the timeline is what makes you hot. Not saying that this "hotness" isn't short lived (as evidenced by Fetty being on top of the world a few months ago and now can't catch a hot single), but that's another convo. G-Eazy is apparently a multiplatinum artist and I've never heard a record from him in anyone's car or in the club/party. 

I think what you're missing is that these mixtapes would be free otherwise. Lyor is monetizing what rappers have been doing for years.

In Lyor's eyes, Thug hasn't caught that single to be able to warrant for a "real" album. So in the meantime, Thug is flooding the streets to get his buzz up. He could be giving them away for free but instead he's charging for them and selling more than some major label artist's retail albums with big budget features and videos.

To simplify it, it's basically like if Ross put Rich Forever on iTunes or Wiz put Taylor Allderdice on iTunes or if Wayne put his 05-08 tapes on iTunes. They're monetizing buzz mixtapes that would be free anyways.

Again this is my point,,, i hear dudes say an artist is hot, and their basing this directly off of their own opinions. That's fine until you start you start saying so & so is "hotter" , not better (because that is all a matter of taste) than another artist. Because once i start seeing things like Artist A is way Hotter than artist B right now. Or artist A from this region is hot but Artist B from that region isn't relevant, you are now bringing in a convo that requires tangible proof, not opinions, not predictions but actual tangible proof that Artist A is Hotter than Artist B.

If you are using the argument, of Artist A gets played in my hood more, he gets played in the club more, i see him on my TL more... none of that is tangible, it's what's hotter in YOUR personal world & YOUR criteria. Artist B may not get played in your hood at all, but he gets played heavy on college campuses, he doesn't get his records in the club, but he's doing big numbers off streams and is on worldwide tours. who's to say whats going on in your scope of the world is more relevant than what's going on in someone else's.

For example G-Eazy music hasn't personally penetrated my life , not in my ipod, not in the clubs, not discussed in my inner circle... That's fine. But I can't say an artist i like (let's say Ferg) is hotter than him if that artist has shown an ability to draw more overall interest in himself than Ferg.

I don't think i've ever heard a G-Eazy verse... but there's millions out there who have, he's selling out arena shows, he's doing the big endorsement deals, he's got a social media following. These #'s aren't made up of bots, regardless of whether i care for the music or not, or even hear it in my world. We live in a large world and there is a significantly bigger population of people who support G-Eazy then Ferg.

It's that simple numbers are really the only way to quantify if Artist A is hotter than Artist B, anything outside of that is based off personal opinion that you developed in your enclosed world.

Back
Top Bottom