San Francisco Niketalkers, is this really how you guys are living?

Lol they are literally putting 21 new highrises in what was once a sleepy mall parking lot here in vancouvers suburbs by my crib. If you reserved a year ago and put money down you could have gotten a 1 br 1500 sq ft unit for like 350,000 canadian. First 2 buildings sold out and they havent even dug the hole for the foundations yet.
You couldnt find a hipster if you tried.
Rec centers are overflowing, anything that was once niche has a huge line, every parking lot is now a tight squeeze underground, festivals or fairs( dont even bother).
The only way to get anything done is to now go to run down old places that females hate.
Old theatres, malls, gyms....but even their days are numbered.
Im white flighting on house prices and people density...not because i dislike being around other cultures

My dude, same issue with Toronto. We got 'International Students' from China coming here and buying any kind of house (town, semi, detached) for $50K-$100K over asking. They just want to move their money out of China and don't give a damn for the locals. Government needs to step in and do something immediately.

Portland and SF/Bay Area got a lot of the same problems. So different from me growing up as a kid to how it is now. Average rent in the city for a 2 bedroom is nearing $1600 :smh:

Getting to the point where you're thinking about moving out of the city that you love and were born and raised in because people from out of state are willing to pay and move you out. :frown:

As much as I'd like to move back home to California...I really am not sure if I want to deal with the cost of living and the commute again.

Hopefully I learn to appreciate the DMV area as time moves on...Even though it's kinda pricey and traffic sucks 
laugh.gif

Yo Ninjahood or anybody who's ever served time in prison, can ya'll shed some light on how living in tight spaces like this feels like?

Last edited:
I know the will to roast ninja is great here but lets at least learn the difference between close QUARTERS and what you just wrote down.

Joke had potential. :lol:

Last edited:
Portland and SF/Bay Area got a lot of the same problems. So different from me growing up as a kid to how it is now. Average rent in the city for a 2 bedroom is nearing $1600 :smh:

Getting to the point where you're thinking about moving out of the city that you love and were born and raised in because people from out of state are willing to pay and move you out. :frown:

Amen my dude. Grinds my gears when cats who haven't grown up in a city come in and price people out of a half decent roof and shelter. It's not even mega mansions or upscale type locations; as I mentioned before ANY kind of house, in ANY neighborhood.

Man....I know $1600 is high for Portland but that isn't even in the same bracket as down here nor do I see Portland ever getting to that level. Where I live which isn't even the best area in SF, rent is like $4-5K for a 2-3 bedroom. A 1 bedroom is about $2500-3K or so. If you wanted to live in a prime area like Marina which is practically all white people, a 1 bedroom is $4-5K range. It's insane how people want to pay mortgage prices out here and that is even mortgage for Bay Area houses.

I know some people still believing in that dream. You do have to get in super early though. A friend's brother I know left LinkedIn with stock options to go work for a startup. For the lack of better words, it's a company that is like ebay for real estate. You pretty much ex out the real estate agent and their commission and just do the bidding and buying on your own. Don't know if it would fly but he got a ton of investment in the company where he's hoping it will go somewhere and ultimately IPO.

Mannn I know he is regretting that LinkedIn move.

Eh, i wouldn't assume that.
My cousin worked for LinkedIn for a year and he had a HIGHHHH salary and bonuses/incentives/stock options, but a year ago he left for a better job with Sales Force.

I honestly didnt think it would get any better for him, especially because he worked at Google before LinkedIn.
But it just goes to show you, no matter how good you think you have it, theres always better opportunities out there if you arent complacent.

Who knows, his boys brother may be better off with the new company...maybe not.

I hope this tech bubble bursts soon. :lol:

elaborate... why? :nerd:
That's the main industry able to pay wages supporting the high cost of living. When you have a sizable workforce making $120k+ you can charge people $2-$3k a month for rent and have someone live there. If that workforce starts disappearing and no one is leasing the empty apartments or office buildings, prices have to start going down to fill them in.

elaborate... why? :nerd:

Then all the recession proof job will actually be worth what it is, price of rent and housing will go down, expensive restaurants will close leaving more cost efficient food spots and best of all, more native Bay Area people won't have to move to another state or city.

Portland and SF/Bay Area got a lot of the same problems. So different from me growing up as a kid to how it is now. Average rent in the city for a 2 bedroom is nearing $1600
mean.gif

laugh.gif

Man, if I could find a 2 bedroom for $1,600...

I live about 45 minutes from SF, crappy 1 bedroom in-law cottage in someone's backyard, and it's $2,600. Been debating moving to Portland/Seattle/Denver, but it's tough to leave home.

The only non major Cali cities I would move to in the US are Seattle and NYC, and even those places are expensive. I've found that most places with cheap rent are not places I personally would like living in at all :lol:

Last edited:
:lol:

Man, if I could find a 2 bedroom for $1,600...

I live about 45 minutes from SF, crappy 1 bedroom in-law cottage in someone's backyard, and it's $2,600. Been debating moving to Portland/Seattle/Denver, but it's tough to leave home.

Why? I pay less for a nice 1 bedroom in Mountain View, 25-30 minutes from SF. There's plenty of nice apartments you can find for less than what you're paying all over the Peninsula, South Bay, and East Bay.

Last edited:
The only non major Cali cities I would move to in the US are Seattle and NYC, and even those places are expensive. I've found that most places with cheap rent are not places I personally would like living in at all :lol:

Just curious why I my Seattle and NYC?

Just curious why I my Seattle and NYC?

Diversity, public transportation, jobs, food, liberal attitudes, relatively low racism, no extreme weather (NYC isn't that cold to me after I've been out in the Midwest), etc. I've been in every major city in the US, and nothing compares to SF, LA (ok, no good public transportation here :lol: ), Seattle, NYC and all their metro areas to me. It's not that there aren't other decent cities, but I don't see any reason to move to them as it would be downgrading MY life. Maybe Miami if I was rich as @#$@ and had 24/7 air conditioning :lol:

Last edited:
Diversity, public transportation, jobs, food, liberal attitudes, relatively low racism, no extreme weather (NYC isn't that cold to me after I've been out in the Midwest), etc. I've been in every major city in the US, and nothing compares to SF, LA (ok, no good public transportation here
laugh.gif
), Seattle, NYC and all their metro areas to me. It's not that there aren't other decent cities, but I don't see any reason to move to them as it would be downgrading MY life. Maybe Miami if I was rich as @#$@ and had 24/7 air conditioning
laugh.gif

Plenty, but unfortunately there's nowhere near as many well paying jobs out in those cities as there are in major cities :lol: I'm an accountant, so I can work literally anywhere in the world, but I would only get paid well in cities with major financial centers/industries like London, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore, etc, all of which are extremely expensive. My cousin is an accountant in Lisbon, one of my favorite cities in the world (and extremely affordable), and he earns half of what I make out here despite having pretty much the same experience level.

Last edited:
Chicago is still considered on the low side that is a full major city. Of course you have the good parts and the bad ones but I heard all of the bad are central to the southern areas. Like someone said above, weather is a real issue out there cause it gets colder there than say NYC.

What's funny I am so used to bad crappy apartments that I actually think this is decent and for only for $155K.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/633-S-Plymouth-Ct-60605/unit-303/home/12751042

This is accross from the Bean which is pretty much downtown and it is still cheap with HOA comparable to SF>

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/5-N-Wabash-Ave-60602/unit-1102/home/12647646

Yeah, Chicago is cool, but as I mentioned, I can't deal with that extreme Midwest weather. NYC gets cold and occasionally has a few days of extreme weather, but at least you can wear a nice coat with maybe a sweater underneath and be fine 99% of the time. I was in Chicago for 2 weeks during the winter and wondered what the @#$@ the people who first settled there were thinking. I can adapt to different types of weather but I have my limits :lol:

Last edited:
Plenty, but unfortunately there's nowhere near as many well paying jobs out in those cities as there are in major cities
laugh.gif
I'm an accountant, so I can work literally anywhere in the world, but I would only get paid well in cities with major financial centers/industries like London, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore, etc, all of which are extremely expensive. My cousin is an accountant in Lisbon, one of my favorite cities in the world (and extremely affordable), and he earns half of what I make out here despite having pretty much the same experience level.

Housing is expensive in Amsterdam. When i went there last year, apartments were 2000-4000 Euros. Can't speak on Frankfurt as I've never been there, but my friend lives outside of Frankfurt and says he pays around 1/3 of what he would pay in the actual city

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom