San Francisco Niketalkers, is this really how you guys are living?

Chicago is still considered on the low side that is a full major city. Of course you have the good parts and the bad ones but I heard all of the bad are central to the southern areas. Like someone said above, weather is a real issue out there cause it gets colder there than say NYC.

What's funny I am so used to bad crappy apartments that I actually think this is decent and for only for $155K.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/633-S-Plymouth-Ct-60605/unit-303/home/12751042

This is accross from the Bean which is pretty much downtown and it is still cheap with HOA comparable to SF>

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/5-N-Wabash-Ave-60602/unit-1102/home/12647646
property taxes doe...my moms place on the Southside (in a good area) is costing $8500 a year in property taxes...

The only non major Cali cities I would move to in the US are Seattle and NYC, and even those places are expensive. I've found that most places with cheap rent are not places I personally would like living in at all :lol:

Same here. Been everywhere, I really like Seattle. NYC was cool, but I couldn't live there, too much going on. Portland was meh, pretty boring to me. But I can see the appeal, the people seemed cool over there. Haven't been there, but I heard Austin is legit. You got affordable housing, job growth, and the hunnies...thats what I heard.

Born and raised in the bay, I ain't moving out. I adjusted to survive. Believe it, it's a bubble, it will pass. Most of these companies are eating from investor money. Give it time and they will run out, because none of them are really making profit., just burning thru cash.

Last edited:
Eh, i wouldn't assume that.
My cousin worked for LinkedIn for a year and he had a HIGHHHH salary and bonuses/incentives/stock options, but a year ago he left for a better job with Sales Force.

I honestly didnt think it would get any better for him, especially because he worked at Google before LinkedIn.
But it just goes to show you, no matter how good you think you have it, theres always better opportunities out there if you arent complacent.

Who knows, his boys brother may be better off with the new company...maybe not.

LinkedIn to SalesForce > LinkedIn to small start up . Lol it isn't even close nor comparable.

Funny how we were talking about start ups and a startup with 30 employees here in the DMV hit me up on LinkedIn. I'm actually interested in what opportunities they have based on reviews , rankings, and salaries.

Last edited:
I take it monatana must get that Alberta weather.
I cant see why somewhere so nice would be so empty otherwise.
Fools dont even have 1 highrise in the state capital, looks heavenly.
Maybe its full of Mormons or something

I'm born and raised in Oakland CA, and was living in downtown Oakland near Jack London from 2010 to just a few months ago.

My rent steadily increased to about $2500/month for a nice 1BR/Bath, and luckily I was able to buy a dope newly remodeled condo right near the water in the Point Richmond area.

My monthly mortgage is significantly less than what my rent would have been, couldn't be happier.

The amazing weather and career opportunities here make me think I don't ever want to leave.

I'm born and raised in Oakland CA, and was living in downtown Oakland near Jack London from 2010 to just a few months ago.

My rent steadily increased to about $2500/month for a nice 1BR/Bath, and luckily I was able to buy a dope newly remodeled condo right near the water in the Point Richmond area.

My monthly mortgage is significantly less than what my rent would have been, couldn't be happier.

The amazing weather and career opportunities here make me think I don't ever want to leave.
Plan to move from Daly City to Concord from a 2-bedroom (w/ one hallway closet) apartment for 2.5k a month to a 3-bedroom/1.5 bath house for 1.8k with plenty of closets. Can't wait.

San fransico needs to change their zoning and build more houses, apartments.

Look it up, wealthy people are basically preventing new houses from being built. **** is insane,

what's the point of ahving a booming industry if you are just going to concentrate the wealth in the hands of overcaffinated faux libertarian white hipsters with god complexes?

they dont wanna change da character of their city..which kinda effs up new development...BK & QB got high rises going uo daily...im almost alarmed because once da economy gets better & da house bug bites again with all this cheap gas, them towers gonna b ghost towns.

they dont wanna change da character of their city..which kinda effs up new development...BK & QB got high rises going uo daily...im almost alarmed because once da economy gets better & da house bug bites again with all this cheap gas, them towers gonna b ghost towns.

Yup. They aren't changing the character of their city. They are changing the character of the surrounding cities. Everyone else is building except SF.

Are they condos or rentals? Houston is building up all over the city with the influx of people that have been moving down, but most of the new development is luxury apartments. The homes being built in desirable areas are overpriced.

^^^^I've seen a combination of both. There was a whole building put up on Lower Haight area and all of that was apartments for rent. But Hayes and buildings near Twitter building near TL is all condos/studios. The reason why I know cause all of them had below market rate condos up since it's the law to have a percentage of them available for so called low income people. But even areas like Hunter Point has a whole condo community out there that was just built and most of the areas in Dog Patch near the ball park are all condos as well.

I mean can you believe this is in Hunter's Point?!

San-Francisco-Shipyard-Merchant-Building-Exterior-Rendering.jpg

And look how they try to market the area. This literally used to be one of the worst areas in SF and now condos are being sold there for $800K.

1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
^^^^Tell me about it. I check a crime map all the time for areas getting better and HO used to be all red and now it's practically all green. What sucks is it's not even like it's affordable out there and if you are spending a good amount of money, why would anyone invest a solid hour commute away.

But this is their vision and I assume if and when it gets there, no one will even remember about how it used to be over there.

o-SAN-FRANCISCO-SHIPYARDS-facebook.jpg

I feel bad for the first wave of newcomers that move to HP :lol: they are in for a surprise if they believe those ads.

Craigslist is dangerous to use for newcomers too. Relatively "affordable" Listings for "cute renovated studios!" on Larkin, Turk, outer Mission, etc. type of streets :rofl: yeah, have fun paying 2k+ to live in neighborhoods full of crackheads and urine smelling streets just to say you live in the city :lol: Dudes paying that much for a slum when they could be paying the same for a luxury apartment in a nice neighborhood 20-30 mins away.

Last edited:
Man, do you all think this bubble will burst anytime soon? 

If there's an even a bubble for the housing market right now. 

I do not think we will see a crash in the housing market anytime soon due to income verification which will restrict the amount a borrower can finance. I think we MIGHT see a plateau in housing prices. What I would wish for is that there be a ratified bill at the state level where tenants are maxed out at the 2 + 1 housing guideline to either force hipsters to move out and eventually force landlords to decrease rental prices.

Go to SAN Jose. I live in the evergreen hills. I had a 49er player come check out the house next door to rent for his girlfriend and the owner was asking $4890 a month with a 2 year lease. And Eli Harold said f'yall.

y'all SF folks either gotta get into tech industry or just move right now

I keep questioning if I should do the move to tech but I'd have to go back to school and essentially learn something I am not going to be great at and work crazy hours. Still, tech seems more up my alley than corporate but me being 35 sort of puts in me in odd position where I am old in that industry but still very young in my current one. It's an odd thing to swallow.

Plan to move from Daly City to Concord from a 2-bedroom (w/ one hallway closet) apartment for 2.5k a month to a 3-bedroom/1.5 bath house for 1.8k with plenty of closets. Can't wait.
Concord is pretty smooth. easy access to Walnut Creek and Pleasant Hill which their shopping centers have started to get remodeled.

Visit friends in SJ a lot, talked to her parents and they told me a house sold a block over 3bed/3bath for 1.12mil. it wasn't even a great part of SJ, closer on the Campbell side but parents told me there was a crazy good private school that raises the value so the new techies can live. all houses were built in the 60s/70s there. FOH

It's what you say thiuh

the east coast is much better in the sense that you can go to different cities in 2-4 hour drives. CA is so large and so spread apart. i would say as far as nature sights go, the west has more variety, but as far as the amount of urban cities goes, the east is better.

just depends what you are into.

Go to SAN Jose. I live in the evergreen hills. I had a 49er player come check out the house next door to rent for his girlfriend and the owner was asking $4890 a month with a 2 year lease. And Eli Harold said f'yall.

I use to live out there near Monterey and Capitol.

Moved to Almaden/South SJ in the early '00s.

Back
Top Bottom