Scarlett Johansson is up for Ghost in The Shell

Whether you think it's idiotic or not, that's what studios do. That's why we continue to get movies like gods of egypt. I think it flopped hard but they'll try again.

I'm aware.

It just boggles my mind we see something like Gods of Egypt or Ghost in the Shell or Aloha and the mental gymnastics people go through to defend their castings

If Japan did a remake of roots, it wouldn't be any black people.

That's just how it goes. We cry about these things, but it's the same way in other countries.

Japanese actors are huge in Asia. White actors are huge in America..

Unforgiven remade in Asia with a non white lead..

unforgiven1.jpg

http://asianfilmist.com/12-films-remade-in-asia/

This is nothing new. Countries make adaptations of stories, film, music, etc to fit their race/cultures all the time

Instead, we as a country should have more foreign films available to watch in the states to support these actors. You see movies like the avengers breaking records worldwide, but I don't see as many Korean/Japanese/Chinese cinema in the states. I have to find and stream them online. I would gladly pay and support if I could. I shouldn't have to wait for jet li or Jackie chan to release a new film for diversity. Ip man shouldn't be the only great film that gets in theaters

And it shouldn't have to be an action/Kung fu film for it to crack the surface

i mean the departed is essentially a remake of internal affairs, but that isn't the same thing as what's happening with ghost in the shell. ghost in the shell isn't an adaptation in that sense, its just a straight live action recreation down to the character names.

Feel like their gonna go far away from the original movie.

Also feel like they'll move away from the deep thinking theories in the film and make it more about the actions/effects.

The one in Burbank?

I signed up too late, it was maxed out by the time I signed up.

The one in Burbank?

I signed up too late, it was maxed out by the time I signed up.

Yeah. I got the alert like early sat morning and when I saw what it was I was like score!

TBH they don't even actually check if you're on a list. You can just show up early enough and fill out the form. All you need is the recruiter ID: MOTI. It's never guaranteed and they always over book. Imma be there like 430ish.

If you have time just go and line up I'm sure you can get in.

Before I check you I need to know if we are giving Jessica alba to team white. She is more white than hispanic cording to George Lopez
lol never thought about what alba is. from her wiki, her paternal grandparents are 1st gen mexican american. so...
racial-draft-chapelle.jpg

idk. she could sign for either team since her mom is a euro mix.

nah **** Jessica Alba and her " dont me call latina" ***

she's all yours white ppl

wonder if they'll do a live action appleseed next. seems like that would be a good one if done right.

Y'all in for dissappointment. If you're a hardcore GITS fan this is almost a Pimp slap in the face.

Last edited:
Read at your own risk!!!

The good: very much a homage to the 1995 film. It's almost a live action remake which would have been better. Visuals that you've seen in trailers are most of the ones completed. Characters are very true to their animated counterparts. Major changes to the section 9 crew. Beat Takeshi does a great job as Aramaki however more intense.

Now the Bad: too much of a homage to the original movie. Aside from the fight in water scene, "birth" scene you get many many recreated scenes such as the plane flying over the city that you would see as you look up also the Batou and Major on his boat. The dialogue there is very lacking content wise compared to the original story. The finale will be good when it's finished: spider tank.

The Major also is a let down. She's a far cry from the soldier we're used to. She's more doubtful in her self and keep referring to herself as to "what she was built for". Section 9 use is very lax which is also a bummer. You don't get the group dynamic that they are able to do in SAC episodes.

Plot is similar to the 95 movie but it's intertwined to a subplot which is how the major came to be.

Overall it has a lot of the essence of the movie but its overcompensating because it tries to be it's own but the plot would have been better had it just been more of the same instead of trying to be different.

They also "resolve" the issue with Scarlett being white and the major having a Japanese name of Motoko Kusanagi. In the end it's a cop out.

Low rental border line some old bull ish.

Trailer looks interesting but I'm not buying it. OG is iconic imo.

if you've NEVER seen GITS before or saw it 20 years ago and haven't kept up to speed with Stand Alone Complex or ARISE then GITS may be a good sci-fi film for you. However if you're even a mild fan, it's not satisfying.

It's not a travesty like Dragonball but it could have been better.

Trailer looks interesting but I'm not buying it. OG is iconic imo.

if you've NEVER seen GITS before or saw it 20 years ago and haven't kept up to speed with Stand Alone Complex or ARISE then GITS may be a good sci-fi film for you. However if you're even a mild fan, it's not satisfying.

It's not a travesty like Dragonball but it could have been better.

Didn't read your spoilers but you think they simply went a safer route?

Also, are all the cgi's done in the version you saw?

Didn't read your spoilers but you think they simply went a safer route?

Also, are all the cgi's done in the version you saw?

I don't know what you mean by safer route.

they captured the real "essence" of the anime. From the look to some of the shots. Like for example the anime likes to do a lot of overhead shots of military teams rushing in a building and you get that. So in that sense it's really bringing the anime to life.

The problem is it's doing too much fanboying/homaging and not enough at the same time. I think what falls flat is the plot, the villain and the subplot that ultimately is tied to the main plot. It's covering a dynamic about the Major that wasn't ever really a concern in the anime and actually was only mildly addressed in SAC s2 i think.

No there was still a lot of CGI that wasn't complete, specifically the climatic final battle. Also gunshots and explosions needed to be boosted sound wise. Couple of city scenes where you see those digital ads on buildings were incomplete as well. That scene from the trailer where she burst through the glass had some missing CGI as well. It was 80% done i would say.

I half expected them to use some music from the anime and I think they may have used a variation of a song from SAC or the 95 film. If i find it i'll post the song.

I half expected them to use some music from the anime and I think they may have used a variation of a song from SAC or the 95 film. If i find it i'll post the song.
The latest trailer sounded like it had hints of "Making of Cyborg"
[Video][\video][/Video]

Back
Top Bottom