Seattle SuperSonics Thread

Wow wonder of its they are announcing the Grizzlies moving to Seattle
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I could definitely throw my support behind Rudy Gay & Tony Alololen over Corey Maggette and Bismack Biyombo

Brief article about McGinn visiting with Stern. I guess Hansen didn't know, but it's not like McGinn needs to report to Hansen on all his doings. Also, Rollin Fatland (awesome name, btw) I believe was representing the Muckleshoots when they offered tribal land for a new arena when things came down to the wire in 2007 and 2008.

http://blogs.seattletimes...ioner-stern-in-new-york/

At least your non-existent owners haven't said that "a new arena would be bad for the city" and that they are "saving the city from themselves" after 10 years of begging and then have the play by play announcer defend the owners for bombing the arena plan with "protecting the fans so, as the current fans wouldn't be able to afford tickets" at the new entertainment and sports complex.

Absolutely ridiculous claim. If we're talking about season tickets for all three teams, they have a point. But even the season ticket holders sell their seats to make some money back.

But the average fan attends a few games a year. We're talking maybe less than $2000 on tickets for free sports combined. It's certainly affordable for anyone as long as its near the top of their priority list and they budget correctly.

Originally Posted by NooEra

Would be dope if they bring back the old logo and keep the same colorway etc

Would be dope to have black uniforms with green, yellow and white accents as road jerseys. wish the nba would change to nike

Btw, Chris Hansen just owned every critic of the traffic study that was released. He even provides a live feed of the traffic cameras showing the city streets that would supposedly be affected, and tells people to check the camera between 3-5 pm (when critics say people will start showing up to 7 pm sports events) and 6:30-7:30 pm (when the majority actually shows up). Yes, you read that correctly. The critics claim that the roads are overrun with sports traffic between 3-5 on weekday afternoon. That is so laughable, I don't even know where to begin. Dude is so far ahead of his haters. His swag is unparalleled.

http://blogs.seattleweekl...ls_assumption_arena-.php

^ Good read. Loving seeing the passion Hansen has for this... just wished he was here a few years earlier. Some incredible arguments made by the opposers though.

Who's going to that rally on Thurs?

I'm really curious to find out what team he is working to purchase right now
Hansen letter revealing Ballmer, Nordstroms as arena backers

On June 13, Chris Hansen released this letter announcing that Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and two members of the Nordstrom family are investors in his Seattle arena project.

http://bit.ly/M3zWeE

Pretty short article, but the brief blurb before the quote is pretty to the point, no available team=??? Its not like he can just manufacture a 31st expansion team. 
The Grizz would be pretty good. From listening to local Memphis radio, they seem pretty leery of the current buyer and seem to think that it could fall thru.... and it does look like Heisley is willing to sell the team to pretty much anybody, not so much to a buyer who is committed to staying in Memphis. However, there are such stiff stipulations and safeguards that the City of Memphis put into place that prevent a move from the Fedex Forum, including a (in my terms) and 'first-dibs' clause on the team that if the city can find a local group to match the offer that Heisley would have to sell to, in the lease that runs thru 2021 (I think) that if they try to move the team I would believe that the whoever the owner is would be facing a pretty steep challenge to move the team before that lease runs out. The radio guys did find a few loopholes in the lease tho that a new potential owner could use to possibly move the team.....

David Stern on SuperSonic potential

By Henry Abbott

ESPN.com

On Tuesday in Oklahoma City, before the former Supersonics won Game 1 of the Finals, NBA Commissioner David Stern addressed the potential for an NBA team returning to Seattle. The two obstacles are huge, as the city has a potential NBA owner in hedge-fund manager Chris Hansen, but still lacks both an appropriate stadium and an available team.

But Stern spoke in tones that seemed to indicate some degree of potential:

I had a visit from the mayor, Mayor (Mike) McGinn was it yesterday? It was yesterday. Seems a long time ago.

Yesterday he was in, and he explained to us they have a place that is zoned for an arena, that the land has been purchased by the party who wants to both put an arena there and buy a team, and he's securing the support of the Seattle City Council and the King County Council, and it is their hope that if there is a building going up and there is a team available that they would float bonds to support the team, the bonds would be repaid by the additional revenue that would be generated by the arena that would be built otherwise with private funds.

Originally Posted by JesusShuttlesworth34

If Sonics fans were given tickets to Game 2 of the NBA Finals....would they not go? 
Personally, I wouldn't. I don't have the stomach to watch it on TV, let alone be surrounded by those people.

Are Ballmer and the Nordstroms just backing the arena, or would they be part of a potential ownership group as well? If the latter is true, then based on Ballmer alone that's the richest ownership group in the league. THat has to be enticing to the NBA.

^in the letter it says they would be part of the investment group, I think superficially their name is attached to the arena to try and boast big names to the project. But I'm sure they'd be part of ownership in at least a minority role. Doubt Hansen would want anything less than majority ownership of the team for himself.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

If Sonics fans were given tickets to Game 2 of the NBA Finals....would they not go? 
Personally, I wouldn't. I don't have the stomach to watch it on TV, let alone be surrounded by those people.
I wouldn't either. In fact, haven't watched an NBA game since 2008.
Anyway, from what I've seen thus far, I got the feeling that Ballmer and the Nordstroms would be included in the team-ownership as well. 

That makes sense. The dude pretty much single-handily started the movement to get a team back in Seattle. Only right for him to have majority ownership

Well it's good to see you guys support your hometown, but I don't think the OKC fans or the OKC players are to blame.  I'm sure KD and Collison had no issue with playing in Seattle....unless I am mistaken. 

Well it's good to see you guys support your hometown, but I don't think the OKC fans or the OKC players are to blame.  I'm sure KD and Collison had no issue with playing in Seattle....unless I am mistaken. 
Of course we support our home town
laugh.gif

Also, nobody placed any blame on players or fans. I like the players (the fans are pretty obnoxious though). I watched Collison for years in Seattle, and I was fortunate enough to watch Durant for one season. They had no issues with Seattle. In fact, Collison didn't like the move initially, and he still lives in Seattle. Durant is also on record saying he misses it up here. There were no "issues."

We just hate the guy who sold the team and the guy who bought it and moved it (and the knucklehead politicians who sat there and did nothing).

No, I don't think Sonic fans are blaming the players.  I certainly am not.

I'm also not blaming their fans either... their reasonable-fans, at least.  I'm sure a lot of their fans understand the situation, and quite possibly, might feel a bit of sympathy.  Of course there will always be the obnoxious trolls who come in and talk a lot of $&%*... no point in arguing/reasoning with them cuz it's pointless. 

It was the management and Stern. 
mad.gif

Back
Top Bottom