Seattle SuperSonics Thread

To be fair, by all accounts Burkle was a pretty minor financial component of all this. He was just the ringleader (bringing in all the whales) and headed the arena process.

At least he got that term sheet together in time before this judgement came down 
laugh.gif

I'm sure the NBA would rather not uproot an NBA franchise, but in this case they were just following their own bylaws.

Which is why I mentioned Jay-Z.

As for Burkle, I'll buy him not being a huge part of the purchase of the team. However, I don't think it's a small deal that he can't be part of the arena development.

Which is why I mentioned Jay-Z.

As for Burkle, I'll buy him not being a huge part of the purchase of the team. However, I don't think it's a small deal that he can't be part of the arena development.
Ya its definitely not a good thing that he's not involved with the development of the arena, but I don't think him not directly being involved is going to singularly kill the process.

That's why we have JMA, David Taylor, even Friedman around. They're all capable developers in their own right. Plus, like KJ said, although Burkle can't be financially involved with the Kings or the arena, he can still be used as a resource.

Also, having him stick around to support the development of the surrounding arena area speaks volumes to his commitment and faith in Sacramento. Which, personally, is awesome to hear/see from guys like him 
nthat.gif

What? Post the tweets

Only tweets I see are the maloofs looking like idiots :lol:

Ryan Lillis ‏@Ryan_Lillis 54m
Source: If matching back-up offer doesn't arrive by Friday or doesn't match Seattle, Maloofs have said talks are off with Sacramento

Tony Bizjak ‏@TonyBizjak 56m
A source tells Bee the Sacramento group has been given til 5 p.m. Friday to submit a firm "back-up" offer matching Seattle bid. NBA is aware

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 1h
Source close to #NBAKings negotiations says there is NOT a matching offer to Seattle bid, and numbers are still "way off".

newballpark ‏@newballpark 51m
Ranadive-Mastrov-Jacobs group's efforts sound similar to what happened with Dolich-Piccinini and #Athletics. #Kings

The Chris Daniels tweet certainly sounds grave but all the Sac media here are pretty confidant the offer will be matched.

glad this stuff will be over soon.

either stay or go, i dont care but get it settled. enough with this BS

So this would also mean that Clay Bennett would be off the hook for that additional 30 million to Seattle if they didn't have a team by 2013?

I wonder what the terms of that agreement looks like...

I hope Seattle gets the Sonics back, but NOT at the expense of the Sacramento Kings...

Kings need to stay in Sac.

I hope Seattle gets the Sonics back, but NOT at the expense of the Sacramento Kings...

Kings need to stay in Sac.

Amen brother. Send the Thunder back to Seattle as they were robbed and move the Bobcats to OKC. They're just floundering in Charlotte under MJ.

So this would also mean that Clay Bennett would be off the hook for that additional 30 million to Seattle if they didn't have a team by 2013?

I wonder what the terms of that agreement looks like...

He’s already off the hook for that. Also, that extra money wasn’t contingent on a team playing in Seattle within 5 years, it was contingent on having an arena deal within 5 years that could lead to a team coming back. And that money could have been used for anything (like fill some potholes, or something lol). All Seattle (Mayor, city council) had to do was draft up some simple agreement to build a stadium, and the money was theirs. They couldn’t even get their act together to do that. That’s how awful the local politicians are around here. They passed up $30 million in free money based on principle lol.

I'm hearing the Maloofs would not only openly accept a matching bid if Hansen is turned down, but that they would use the money they're getting to purchase an MLB or NHL team in hopes to relocate them to Las Vegas.

I'm hearing the Maloofs would not only openly accept a matching bid if Hansen is turned down, but that they would use the money they're getting to purchase an MLB or NHL team in hopes to relocate them to Las Vegas.

So they can lose their money all over again? Vegas is a wasteland.

So they can lose their money all over again? Vegas is a wasteland.
Seattle/Sac's offer don't cover their personal debt right??? Cuz if they don't, at least half of that $340mil is gonna go into paying off that debt 
sick.gif

Plus, if the MLB won't even take Mark Cuban.... how the hell would they take in the Maloofs 
roll.gif

He’s already off the hook for that. Also, that extra money wasn’t contingent on a team playing in Seattle within 5 years, it was contingent on having an arena deal within 5 years that could lead to a team coming back. And that money could have been used for anything (like fill some potholes, or something lol). All Seattle (Mayor, city council) had to do was draft up some simple agreement to build a stadium, and the money was theirs. They couldn’t even get their act together to do that. That’s how awful the local politicians are around here. They passed up $30 million in free money based on principle lol.

Ah, thank you for the insightful response. I would have thought the city council wouldn't have passed up additional free money.

@ryan_lillis: Source: Sacramento #NBAKings contingent has notified the #NBA it will match the offer on the table from Seattle.

nerd.gif

Bidding war it is :lol:

Sacramento Bee reports Sacramento will match Seattle offer for Kings
Posted by Bob Condotta

According to the Sacramento Bee, a Sacramento group will notify the NBA today that it will match the offer of a Seattle group for the Kings.

The current controlling owners, the Maloof family, had set a deadline of 5 p.m. today for the Sacramento group to match the offer it agreed to in January from a Seattle group, which was $340 million for 65 percent of the team, based on a total valuation of $525 million.

It was learned Thursday that a sticking point in the negotiations was the status of a $30 million non-refundable loan made by the Chris Hansen-led Seattle group to the Maloofs. The Maloofs were insisting that it be part of the Sacramento deal, as well, apparently pushing the total value of the deal to $555 million. As an alternative, it was reported that the NBA was asking the Sacramento group to pay the $30 million back to the Seattle group. As the news of this was breaking, it was unclear if the $30 million was included.

A matching offer was viewed as a necessity for Sacramento to have a chance to keep the team.

The NBA Board of Governors is expected to vote next Friday in New York whether to accept the sale of the team from the Maloofs to the Seattle group. It would not turn down the Seattle agreement if there were not a viable offer from the Sacramento group, which would allow the team to stay put.

The Bee also reported this morning that the Maloof family would “embrace” a matching bid that would allow the team to stay in Sacramento.

The Times has learned that the Seattle group does have the ability to increase its offer, though NBA commissioner David Stern has said he does not want this to turn into a bidding war.

While Stern has also said that expansion is not on the table, the fact that each city is willing to pay what would far exceed the previous record for an NBA franchise —the Golden State Warriors were sold for the previous high, $450 million, in 2010 — has led to increasing speculation that it could become an option.

— Also, earlier today a King County judge dismissed a lawsuit aimed at blocking construction of a proposed Sodo arena’

— And the Bee also reported that a former Facebook executive had joined Sacramento’s ownership group.

I was just about to say, who cares if they match because Seattle should be able to up their bid since they have been waiting for months. Its not their fault, they had the money together for months and had plans set.

This is gonna go on forever.

I was just about to say, who cares if they match because Seattle should be able to up their bid since they have been waiting for months. Its not their fault, they had the money together for months and had plans set.

This is gonna go on forever.

Nah Hansen should just bid up the Kings and let Sac town have them for 700 mil :smh:

In all fairness, KJ and the city of Sacramento hasn't done anything. Literally, not one thing.

They've done not one thing in his efforts to keep this team in Sacramento. They can't even meet self-imposed, non-mandatory deadlines.

Hansen won't even need to raise his bid because all KJ/Sacramento has done is yapped off nonstop. All talk, no doing.

See ya Kings, have fun pretending to being the Supersonics 
frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom