SFSU student confronts white dude with dreadlocks vol. cultural appropriation

You said she couldn't ne a descendant of Egypt if shes African American though.

You said nothing about culture.

And culture isnt racially exclusive.

It's not speculation, it's history. The transatlantic slave trade took most if not all of the slaves from the coasts of West, Central and South Africa.

How the hell is that "speculating"? :lol: Do you know how much work it would be to steal someone from Northeast Africa?

Because we're all ancestors of slaves right?

It's tough, fine line between cultural appropriation and cultural diffusion.

Generally speaking, if you're going to be critical of others appropriating your culture when the thing being appropriated is rather benign in nature, make good and damn sure you're not being a hypocrite.

Make sure the food you're eating, the clothes you're wearing, the products you use fall within your cultural parameters if you're going to be that critical.

Son clearly wasn't getting his Rachel Dolezal on, or his Iggy Azalea. Son probably digs reggae and dubstep.

In this nation where whitewashing runs RAMPANT, so many minorities feel compelled to make themselves more like white folks. You see black, asian, middle-eastern and latino/hispanic folks all doing this.

Some do it consciously, others don't realize they're doing it. This chick comes off as a social justice warrior who is really into her culture and is quite perturbed by the state of racial affairs in this nation.

She's well within her rights to express her contempt for those who appropriate her culture. However she needs to learn to pick her battles better. It's completely fine to be mad at corporations for jacking cultural iconography or at artists who capitalize off of hip-hop but fail to spotlight issues in black communities.

It's another thing completely to essentially bully a kid who probably is going through a phase and doesn't have a lot of real-world experience. Not to mention a kid who probably means no harm whatsoever. Hate to say it but he was a convenient target. I feel like if dude was a foot taller and caught her fancy she would've probably let dude slide, in more ways than one.

Like I said it's tough, hard to discern where appreciation/diffusion stops and where appropriation or rather misappropriation start.

Last edited:
i'm sorry but wearing a hairstyle that you want to wear is not cultural appropriation. Anyone can do to their own body whatever the hell they want, its none of that chick's business how that dude wears his hair. Not to mention she grabbed him and pulled him down the stairs against his will. At that point, i would've probably pushed her away. She is clearly in the wrong.

It's people with her mindset that get satisfaction out of just bullying other people who seem easy to pick on. I highly doubt she would've said anything like that to a jacked member of a white racist biker gang who was hypothetically rockin dreads. She was picking on the poor dude cause he seemed like an easy target.

Last edited:
I didn't say all, but a good 80 percent of African Americans are of West African origin....they are hardly Egyptian by ethnicity.

The only thing that dude was appropriating is the homeless culture. WTH is he wearing?

IDK, looks like something Kanye would've designed.

If dude was smart he would press charges against her. I'll throw down $ for his lawyer. Youth today are a bunch of idiots. :smh:

****, I;m about to grow some dreads and support homeboy :smokin

Last edited:
If dude was smart he would press charges against her. I'll throw down $ for his lawyer. Youth today are a bunch of idiots. :smh:

She's a SFSU employee so it's going to be interesting to see if he does lawyer up against the University.

On a side note, TF is up with homie in the cut with the trench-coat? Was it raining? :lol: I thought Frisco was nice this time of year. Son needs to appropriate himself some spring-wear. :lol:

It's tough, fine line between cultural appropriation and cultural diffusion.

Generally speaking, if you're going to be critical of others appropriating your culture when the thing being appropriated is rather benign in nature, make good and damn sure you're not being a hypocrite.

Make sure the food you're eating, the clothes you're wearing, the products you use fall within your cultural parameters if you're going to be that critical.

Son clearly wasn't getting his Rachel Dolezal on, or his Iggy Azalea. Son probably digs reggae and dubstep.

In this nation where whitewashing runs RAMPANT, so many minorities feel compelled to make themselves more like white folks. You see black, asian, middle-eastern and latino/hispanic folks all doing this.

Some do it consciously, others don't realize they're doing it. This chick comes off as a social justice warrior who is really into her culture and is quite perturbed by the state of racial affairs in this nation.

She's well within her rights to express her contempt for those who appropriate her culture. However she needs to learn to pick her battles better. It's completely fine to be mad at corporations for jacking cultural iconography or at artists who capitalize off of hip-hop but fail to spotlight issues in black communities.

It's another thing completely to essentially bully a kid who probably is going through a phase and doesn't have a lot of real-world experience. Not to mention a kid who probably means no harm whatsoever. Hate to say it but he was a convenient target. I feel like if dude was a foot taller and caught her fancy she would've probably let dude slide, in more ways than one.

Like I said it's tough, hard to discern where appreciation/diffusion stops and where appropriation or rather misappropriation start.

Well said.

African Americans (also referred to as Black Americans or Afro-Americans[SUP][3][/SUP]) are an ethnic group of Americans (citizens or residents of the United States) with total or partial ancestry from any of the Black racial groups of Africa.[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP] The term may also be used to include only those individuals who are descended from enslaved Africans.[SUP][6][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP] As a compound adjective the term is usually hyphenated as African-American.[SUP][8][/SUP][SUP][9][/SUP]
African Americans constitute the third largest racial and ethnic group in the United States (after White Americans and Hispanic and Latino Americans).[SUP][10][/SUP] Most African Americans are of West and Central African descent and are descendants of enslaved blacks within the boundaries of the present United States.[SUP][11][/SUP][SUP][12][/SUP]On average, African Americans are of 78 percent West African, 19 percent European and 3 percent Native American heritage, with large variation between individuals.[SUP][13][/SUP] Immigrants from some African, Caribbean, Central American, and South American nations and their descendants may or may not also self-identify with the term.[SUP][9][/SUP]

So I got into an argument with a coworker because he was attempting to say it's incorrect to call Obama the first black president because he's half white. He said it's better to say "mixed" instead of black.

Is he wrong?

Should've just told her to shut her crybaby *** up and keep it moving. It's not his place to care about her fake outrage, and the minute she got in his face, he would've been well within reason to smack the taste out her mouth and teach her a valuable life lesson in the process.

Oh wait she works for the school. I hope he gets paid and that busted looking broad is out of a job due to her childish actions.

She's a SFSU employee so it's going to be interesting to see if he does lawyer up against the University.

On a side note, TF is up with homie in the cut with the trench-coat? Was it raining? :lol: I thought Frisco was nice this time of year. Son needs to appropriate himself some spring-wear. :lol:

nah, he said he wasn't pressing charges

Ironically, unbeknownst to the female in the video, the earliest caucis peoples did in fact have dreadlocked hair.
They were initially cave dwellers and did not hunt like the more athletic far superior darker skinned humans.
So they devised a simple yet lazy method for food which turned out to be extremely efficient.
They would grow their hair long and braid it all while not cleaning themselves. This helped them to attract bugs to eat.

So I got into an argument with a coworker because he was attempting to say it's incorrect to call Obama the first black president because he's half white. He said it's better to say "mixed" instead of black.

Is he wrong?

Hey white people invented the one drop rule, Obama is black when he does something wrong and mixed when he does something right. Since everything is his fault, he's black most of the time.

:lol: that's what I told him. Dude doesn't understand any of this.

Ironically, unbeknownst to the female in the video, the earliest caucis peoples did in fact have dreadlocked hair.
They were initially cave dwellers and did not hunt like the more athletic far superior darker skinned humans.
So they devised a simple yet lazy method for food which turned out to be extremely efficient.
They would grow their hair long and braid it all while not cleaning themselves. This helped them to attract bugs to eat.
This is also why caucasoids dont wash their hands after using the bathroom.

It's a leftover evolutionary response from their earliest days when it was matter of life or death.

Back
Top Bottom