Shady mechanics Vol. time to lawyer up

My car began having transmission issues about a month ago. So I took it back to the mechanic who serviced it a few months back (his work is covered by a 6 month warranty) and he informs me it's not a transmission issue but rather a issue with the shifting solenoid and thus not covered by warranty.

Okay fine he says he will bring the car to the electrical shop the next day and it would take a few days to fix. I call 2 days later to check on the status of my car and he says he brought it to the shop and it's in the process of being fixed.
2 days later I get a call from him informing me my car was in an accident. He informs me he parked the car on the street and a drunk driver hit the car causing body damage to the rear of my car and a broken control arm on the rear wheel. I question him on why my car was on the street and not where he say it was and he says he was about to send it there and he accepts responsibility and will have my car repaired.

Being a nice guy I accept his offer and am willing to call it even if he fixes the car back to the way it was. 2 weeks go by and I'm asking about the status of my car and he tells me he's still shopping around for parts ( he's trying to find cheap crap to fix it with) and if he can't find the parts he will go to the dealer. He tells me it maybe another 2-3 weeks not to mention the original problem isn't fixed and he wants me to pay him for that also.

So I inform him that I can't keep making travel arrangements around me not having a car for that long and he needs to pay for me a rental. He refuses saying that's out of the question and I become irate.

So has anybody every sued anyone before?
What course of action should I take beside speaking to a lawyer?
Does anyone know a reliable mechanic in NYC?
Am I in the right in my demand?
How could I have gone about this differently?

you can get some change for this, it will cost a lawyer.

do what you gotta do if you're willing to spend a little extra time and effort just handle your business.

Document everything that happens from this point on. Get estimates of everything that needs to be repaired and rent a car. You will get reimbursed for that too if you go the lawyer route and win

Document everything that happens from this point on. Get estimates of everything that needs to be repaired and rent a car. You will get reimbursed for that too if you go the lawyer route and win

Problem is he has my car and it can't be driven now which means it has to be towed everywhere on a flat bed, and those towing fees are horrendous

if u have gieco and road side assistance they should tow u for free....they helped me twice in last month...or triple a will tow depending on situation and distance

You need to get a lawyer and get your car back. A GOOD mechanic would have gotten you a rental as soon as your car got hit. It's obviously not a priority to him if he's not trying to get it to you right away.
[h3]M & J Auto Center Inc [/h3]
844 Flushing Ave Brooklyn, NY 11206

(718) 928-9429

-They do mechanical work and also paint and body.
[h1]S & F Service Center Inc[/h1]
6351 Metropolitan Ave
Middle Village, NY 11379

718-497-6291

-They're work is guaranteed by Napa Auto Parts so if your car has any issues anywhere in the U.S. you can take it to a Napa Auto Care Center and have it repaired under warranty. He doesn't do body work but there's a lot of body shops in that area. Even one right next door.

You definitely have a case for action, but keep in mind the lawyer will be expensive. You would have to find out if it will be worth it to hire the lawyer.

I have free consultation with a lawyer thru my job but i just hope it will be worth it to hire one and pursue this. I don't want to come out losing. I could just take the bus for a month but I feel like I am being Wronged and its the principal of the matter. Is it possible that i sue and win and The cost of the lawyer will be so great that it will make the lawsuit not worth it?
Can I sue for the lawyer fee as well?

You need to get a lawyer and get your car back. A GOOD mechanic would have gotten you a rental as soon as your car got hit. It's obviously not a priority to him if he's not trying to get it to you right away.

[h3]M & J Auto Center Inc[/h3]

844 Flushing Ave Brooklyn, NY 11206
(718) 928-9429

-They do mechanical work and also paint and body.

[h1]S & F Service Center Inc[/h1]

6351 Metropolitan Ave
Middle Village, NY 11379

718-497-6291

-They're work is guaranteed by Napa Auto Parts so if your car has any issues anywhere in the U.S. you can take it to a Napa Auto Care Center and have it repaired under warranty. He doesn't do body work but there's a lot of body shops in that area. Even one right next door.
thanks I will look into them

My car began having transmission issues about a month ago. So I took it back to the mechanic who serviced it a few months back (his work is covered by a 6 month warranty) and he informs me it's not a transmission issue but rather a issue with the shifting solenoid and thus not covered by warranty.

Okay fine he says he will bring the car to the electrical shop the next day and it would take a few days to fix. I call 2 days later to check on the status of my car and he says he brought it to the shop and it's in the process of being fixed.
2 days later I get a call from him informing me my car was in an accident. He informs me he parked the car on the street and a drunk driver hit the car causing body damage to the rear of my car and a broken control arm on the rear wheel. I question him on why my car was on the street and not where he say it was and he says he was about to send it there and he accepts responsibility and will have my car repaired.

Being a nice guy I accept his offer and am willing to call it even if he fixes the car back to the way it was. 2 weeks go by and I'm asking about the status of my car and he tells me he's still shopping around for parts ( he's trying to find cheap crap to fix it with) and if he can't find the parts he will go to the dealer. He tells me it maybe another 2-3 weeks not to mention the original problem isn't fixed and he wants me to pay him for that also.

So I inform him that I can't keep making travel arrangements around me not having a car for that long and he needs to pay for me a rental. He refuses saying that's out of the question and I become irate.

So has anybody every sued anyone before?
What course of action should I take beside speaking to a lawyer?
Does anyone know a reliable mechanic in NYC?
Am I in the right in my demand?
How could I have gone about this differently?

You need to sue, man. Lawyer up for sure. Did you let your insurance know when it happened? Your insurance company may fix it and sue the mechanic's insurance, or him personally, if he doesn't pay up. You can definitely sue for lawyer's fees. First thing you should have done is called your insurance company when this happened.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom